PDA

View Full Version : Official TW December 2010 blind string playtest

Pages : [1] 2

Bud
12-07-2010, 02:06 AM
I just received another set of string from TW. It's an opaque, pale green with lighter green (or possibly tan) strands running through it and appears to be a SG or MF. It also exhibits a pungent aroma.

When will the stickied thread be up for the new string playtest? :)

!<-_->!
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I just received another set of string from TW. It's an opaque, pale green with lighter green (or possibly tan) strands running through it and appears to be a SG or MF. It also exhibits a pungent aroma.

Got the next playtest string today as well. Doesn't quite look green though. Overall it looks almost like a murky water kinda color deal. Probably the same string though and my guess is that it's some sort of syn. or multi as well.

Bud
12-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Got the next playtest string today as well. Doesn't quite look green though. Overall it looks almost like a murky water kinda color deal. Probably the same string though and my guess is that it's some sort of syn. or multi as well.

I strung mine up tonight and it's got quite a bit of stretch. I imagine the elasticity is quite high and it should be pretty comfortable and long-lasting.

TW Staff
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
We recently selected some Talk Tennis members to participate in a blind string test. We ask that those playtesters please post their feedback in this thread.

Guidelines for your review:
Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set)
Your regular string set up
String pattern of your racquet
Power (or lack there of)
Feel
Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension)
Overall comments and feedbackThanks,
TW Staff

Kenny022593
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Bit scared to string this stuff! Looks menacing!

mikeler
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, I've never seen a string that looks like it.

Kenny022593
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes, I've never seen a string that looks like it.

Yeah... It looks like a razor blade. Right?

mikeler
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Weird color and texture.

bad_call
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
tastes like? get the geiger counter out and check for rads...

flashfire276
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Here's my set! Thanks TW!

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr172/flashfire276/Tennis/1206101122-00.jpg

What is it?? Looks really weird.
When I looked at the color, I could've sworn it was gut. But it felt like rigid and rough poly.
Kinda soft for a poly too!

tennisnoob3
12-08-2010, 03:12 PM
looks like rope lol

djNEiGht
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM
You posted a picture...but it's a blind test. :p. Jk

should be getting mine any day now.

Fr the pic it looks like a multifilament or a Kevlar (or does Kevlar even look like that?)

!<-_->!
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Definitely doesn't smell like gut, though it does have a rather strong scent to it. A rather slick feeling as well. Really curious to string it up and give it a go. Unfortunately, it is raining quite heavily.

themitchmann
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been hitting with it for a couple of days. I like it so far.

Bud
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM

We recently selected some Talk Tennis members to participate in a blind string test. We ask that those playtesters please post their feedback in this thread.

Power (or lack there of)
Feel
TW Staff

Here's my set! Thanks TW!

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr172/flashfire276/Tennis/1206101122-00.jpg

What is it?? Looks really weird.
When I looked at the color, I could've sworn it was gut. But it felt like rigid and rough poly.
Kinda soft for a poly too!

You posted a picture...but it's a blind test. :p. Jk

should be getting mine any day now.

Fr the pic it looks like a multifilament or a Kevlar (or does Kevlar even look like that?)

It's definitely not poly or kevlar. This stuff has the resiliency of a MF or gut. I had to ratchet my dropweight 12-13 times before it (finally) leveled out (stringing at 60#).

Larrysümmers
12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
what machine do you use bud?

Bud
12-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Power (or lack there of)
Feel
TW Staff

Will be editing this post on a regular basis throughout the playtest. Will then finalize at the conclusion.

- - -

Frame: APDGT 16x19
Regular string: natural gut at 55-60#
Tension of this string: 60#

- - -

String characteristics: Out of the package, exhibits a pungent odor and is slightly slick to the touch. String is very slightly textured (can feel the different weaves when running finger(s) along the string).

Stringing: Very easy to string up. Little resistance when stringing crosses. Strings straighten very easily after stringing. String is very resilient... 12-13 ratchets on a dropweight machine prior to leveling/equilibrium.

Bud
12-08-2010, 04:19 PM
what machine do you use bud?

Gamma X-2 dropweight :)

scotus
12-08-2010, 04:25 PM

I have not strung it up yet, but my first reaction upon opening the envelope was: "Wow, they sent me natural gut!"

Tar Heel Tennis
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I have not strung it up yet, but my first reaction upon opening the envelope was: "Wow, they sent me natural gut!"

i'm not one of the 'fortunate' ones to get to playtest their strings, but am wondering if this might be the Genesis Natural Gut that is receiving some buzz?

rudester
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Does not in appearance look anything like the genesis natural gut.

!<-_->!
12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I doubt it's anything from Genesis since TW doesn't carry any Genesis products.

Bud
12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

i'm not one of the 'fortunate' ones to get to playtest their strings, but am wondering if this might be the Genesis Natural Gut that is receiving some buzz?

That was my first reaction as well until I examined it closer :)

I can't even see other filaments inside the string. It appears to be filled with something that is a bit rough and web-like or fibrous, when cutting. The lighter-colored strand is also highly visible in this pic as a separate entity.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1Lt7pNcI/AAAAAAAAOSc/wqXWXsst1mU/s800/P1070533.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1LhxKjoI/AAAAAAAAOSg/9JDDszmyxdo/s800/P1070540.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1L2uBsoI/AAAAAAAAOSk/2avorjccw9g/s800/P1070542.JPG

themitchmann
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I think gut would have been packaged better.

I usually string my poly/multi hybrid at 58lbs.

I strung this at 61 lbs and am happy with it so far.

flashfire276
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM

I can't even see other filaments inside the string. It appears to be filled with something that is a bit rough and web-like when cutting. The lighter-colored strand is also highly visible in this pic as a separate entity.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1Lt7pNcI/AAAAAAAAOSc/wqXWXsst1mU/s800/P1070533.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1LhxKjoI/AAAAAAAAOSg/9JDDszmyxdo/s800/P1070540.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQA1L2uBsoI/AAAAAAAAOSk/2avorjccw9g/s800/P1070542.JPG

It's crazy! I mean, I never seen a string like this.

BTW Bud! You using that super sweet custom APDGT of yours? Still want total details on that!

scotus
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM

I can't even see other filaments inside the string. It appears to be filled with something that is a bit rough and web-like when cutting. The lighter-colored strand is also highly visible in this pic as a separate entity.

I have cut about an inch off the end, exposed the inside and immersed it in water for a day.

When I took a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pulled on the inside material, it separated into many different fibers.

It is at least a multi. I think gut is still a possibility.

flashfire276
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm praying this stuff isn't a MF. I just can't play with strings that are too soft....

Too bad it's kinda odd weather down here. Gotta wait until all the rain gets by so I can get a hit with it.

Larrysümmers
12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Gamma X-2 dropweight :)

nice. i use a Klippermate. so this may be fun stringing :)

Bud
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
nice. i use a Klippermate. so this may be fun stringing :)

It's got a TON of stretch in it :shock:

I have cut about an inch off the end, exposed the inside and immersed it in water for a day.

When I took a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pulled on the inside material, it separated into many different fibers.

It is at least a multi. I think gut is still a possibility.

Have a pic of what you pulled out?

film1
12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Where do sign up to demo the string?

scotus
12-08-2010, 06:49 PM

No, I am not as diligent as you.

nvottennis
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Where do sign up to demo the string?

They notify you.

Can't wait to receive mine. If it's gut, its definitely worth a lot of my time. But either way, I'm thankful TW choose me too. Should be able to get at least 10 hrs in within the next 2 weeks. Hope its a good one!

BreakPoint
12-08-2010, 06:57 PM
I strung mine up tonight and it's got quite a bit of stretch. I imagine the elasticity is quite high and it should be pretty comfortable and long-lasting.

It's definitely not poly or kevlar. This stuff has the resiliency of a MF or gut. I had to ratchet my dropweight 12-13 times before it (finally) leveled out (stringing at 60#).

That's GREAT to hear! Strings with a ton of elasticity are the only kind of strings that don't hurt my arm. Even a stiff multi like K-Gut Pro will kill my arm, so I'm apprehensive about using anything unless it stretches like crazy on my dropweight machine. So this is good news. :)

djNEiGht
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
They notify you.... I'm thankful TW choose me too.!

TW staff/admin contacted select users...and I'm thankful too!

i don't string for myself and go to the local pro shop. I take it that I need to tell them to pre-stretch the string? go high tension?

nvottennis
12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
TW staff/admin contacted select users...and I'm thankful too!

i don't string for myself and go to the local pro shop. I take it that I need to tell them to pre-stretch the string? go high tension?

I would just do what you normally do when you play with multis or gut in that case. You wouldnt want to fudge the results with another variable.

djNEiGht
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I would just do what you normally do when you play with multis or gut in that case. You wouldnt want to fudge the results with another variable.

gotcha (i think). so just tell them to treat it like a multi or gut when stringing.

nvottennis
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
gotcha (i think). so just tell them to treat it like a multi or gut when stringing.

If thats what you normally do when you give them one of those, then sure. I personally try the strings with the least modifications possible( simply string it up at 60 lbs.). If I like it, then I start to perfect it like adjusting tension and asking for pre-stretch or such then.

Bud
12-08-2010, 07:24 PM

This string may feel mushy unless you string it fairly high (60#).

djNEiGht
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
This string may feel mushy unless you string it fairly high (60#).

i've been at 60#s lately with my multi-filaments . thanks for the tip. i'll go 60#s with this too as to compare it to my x-1 at the same tension.

Bud
12-08-2010, 07:47 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQBffNJnwPI/AAAAAAAAOTE/OURC7GCwx4I/s800/P1070546.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQBfgBy-fiI/AAAAAAAAOTM/D4RDWG4kXEI/s800/P1070548.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/TQBfgvK13JI/AAAAAAAAOTU/O6FwxdkKvrI/s800/P1070549.JPG

Jonny S&V
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I got the email, but I'm at college and the 'rents get the mail so I don't know if I've received it or not. Have to check with them soon, I'm intrigued... :-)

!<-_->!
12-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking at it strung up in those pictures, it kind of reminds me of that old Prince string. DNA or Helix or something along those lines.

ryushen21
12-09-2010, 06:43 AM
This is definitely an interesting looking string. I'm a full poly user so it will be interesting to try out something on the opposite side of my usual spectrum. I'm gonna have to up the tension though.

I'm thinking maybe 65.....

nvottennis
12-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Anyone try this yet?

SteveI
12-09-2010, 09:30 AM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/Steve1300/newstring001.jpg

PlayTest Results: 7 Hours to date: Doubles, Singles, Singles Drilling & Serving to Targets:

Tension it is strung : 60/58 Two Piece - Strung on Alpha 6-point dropweight with Flying Clamps
Your regular string set up : 62/59 Head Rip Control 17 - Two Piece (Dunlop M-fil 400)
String pattern of your racquet : 16 x 19

Control:

I feel the control with this string was directly related to the muted feel of this string. There was a disconnect for me when just trying to dial in for a standard rally shot. Because of the muted feel, I was unable to have good depth control. Feeback was poor and that caused me to under hit at times. Then adjusting a ball played short, I would overhit the next ball. Confidence was not high in this regard. Driving thur the ball on the FH and BH side seemed to produce better results. Producing topspin rally shots on both sides with good directional and depth control was an issue. Control rated below my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Spin:

I was getting better spin production from Head PPS Synthetic Gut (string in my other test Mfil- 400) than with the test string. This string does not really seem like it is designed to be a spin string from my impressions. Compared to TF X-1 Bi-Phase or Yonex 850 the test string was really lacking. While you could produce spin, it was clear that I was getting much better bite with the Head PPS Synthetic Gut. The test string really seemed to shine when hitting a flater, driven ball intended to be a winner. Inside-Out forehands could be crushed. Spin production rated well below my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Feel:

The string seems designed to play muted. Reminds me the Isospeed Control 16 (Old version). Never felt "connected" to the stringbed. Feedback was minimal. While the stringbed felt soft and the sweetspot alive, the test string did not pocket the ball very well. If it did, I could not feel it or experience better than below average dwell time. Drop shots and touch volleys as you might have guessed were a chore to produce and below average. Feel rated below my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Power:

The power level of this string was not high for a multi and right in line with Gosen OG 16 or Gosen ProForm Tuff 16, both syn guts on the stiffer side. I had more problems getting the ball deep into the court than I had with balls landing over the baseline. I had to really focus to reach up and extend to get good net clearence with this string. It was not a rocket-launcher off the ground or on serves. I was swinging a bit harder to try to produce normal serve speed on flat servers and faster to try to produce more spin on spin related serves. Power generation rated below my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Durability: After 7 hours of heavy hitting, string didn't experience any fraying that I could tell but it should be noted I am only a moderate spin player. Head Rip Control 17 does not last much longer than 5-6 hours for me. String movement was minimal and straightening was quite easy. I was playing on a fast indoor (very dry) hard court for the entire playtest. A spin player on a damp clay court might experience much less durability. I will continue to play this string and report back with a breakage time or "cut-out" point when the string proves to be unplayable. Durability seems to be rated better than my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Tension Maintenance: After a hour or so of drilling the test string seemed to soften up a bit and remain constant for the remainer of the testing. The stringbed still seems quite firm and string movement is not yet a big issue. I do not have a string-0-meter or other device, but the playing chacteristics have not seemed to have changed much over the 7 hours. Tension Maintenance seems to be in line with my normal string (Head Rip Control 17).

Final Thoughts:

This is a unique multifilament string. Might be a good string to use a cross in a natural gut hybrid or other more power-based multi. This string might be best utilized by players that bash from the baseline and do not depend much on feel. Since the string was quite muted, it seems to provide nice comfort and arm/shoulder/wrist protection. This test string might not be a great match for S & V and all court players due to it's lack of feel and overall muted response. Thanks TW... Enjoyed the chance to part of this and other playtests!!

SteveI
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Bud,

I found that it had very little play or stretch when I strung it up. The string appears to some sort of multi.. construction/feel something like IsoSpeed Professional (original). I posted a pic. I will add all details and insights to that post. I string it 2 piece @ 60/58. Constant Pull

SteveI
12-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Looking at it strung up in those pictures, it kind of reminds me of that old Prince string. DNA or Helix or something along those lines.

Hi,

Played that string DNA Helix.. sort of looks like it.. but the feel and other attributes seem different. I loved the Prince DNA Helix.. BTW

!<-_->!
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
SteveI, your post about its resemblance to the Isospeed string also reminds me of it. However, I found that a pain to pull the crosses. I assume this string was easier?

JRstriker12
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Need to check my mail today. Happy to hear it might be a Multi or a gut. I'm dropping my poly habit.

mikeler
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I told TW I'd volunteer if the string was soft, so the multi assumption I think is valid.

SteveI
12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
SteveI, your post about its resemblance to the Isospeed string also reminds me of it. However, I found that a pain to pull the crosses. I assume this string was easier?

The crosses were very easy to string. I did the entire frame in about 35 min.. which is about 10 min faster than usual. I have only hit a few balls with this set-up..but this string seems very interesting. The string was very easy to work with. The stringbed seems very soft and the sweetspot large.. sort of like a stiffer natty gut..or high end multi. Can't wait to give it a good test. The color is very similair to the Isospeed Pro (old version) or one of those low end natty guts from India.

SteveI
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I told TW I'd volunteer if the string was soft, so the multi assumption I think is valid.

Even though it feels in the stiff side and does not have much play when stringing (in my case).. the stringbed feels quite soft and somewhat muted. Like a lower power natty gut.

mikeler
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Even though it feels in the stiff side and does not have much play when stringing (in my case).. the stringbed feels quite soft and somewhat muted. Like a lower power natty gut.

Low powered and soft. Looking forward to trying it. It looks a little bit like Quasi Gut to me with some texture added.

scotus
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I just strung it up in the mains at 70 lbs with Head Rip Control cross at 67 lbs.

The string stretched very little when prestretched by hand, but once on the machine, it did stretch a lot just like soft multis and gut.

I will take it for a test-run tomorrow.

bad_call
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
why all the high tension (60-70) for this string? people using tweeners mostly?

SteveI
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM

I am using a modified Dunlop Mil-400.. 60-62 is my normal range for a multi or a softer solid core. Yes.. it is a tweener... plays like a lower-powered PD with better feel.

Steve

jmjmkim
12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I have not yet played with it yet, but I got it strung and ready to go. This felt as soft as yarn, compared to my Hex Poly. When I strung it, the stretch felt like a lot, since I have been only using polys for a while. I strung it on my favorite Prince EXO3 Graphite 100 racket. (The thing had Hex Poly on it for months, and it just wouldn't break) The old poly string was losing its freshness, so I cut it to make room for this string test.

My prediction is that I will like it, it seems to have tons of resilience, but probably will not last too long. There is always a trade off. I'll be back . . . . I plan to play a few sets with it.

Bud
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Bud,

I found that it had very little play or stretch when I strung it up. The string appears to some sort of multi.. construction/feel something like IsoSpeed Professional (original). I posted a pic. I will add all details and insights to that post. I string it 2 piece @ 60/58. Constant Pull

What type of machine are you stringing on?

SteveI
12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
What type of machine are you stringing on?

Alpha 6 point Dropweight. Flying Clamps. Compared to a poly here was some play when stringing.. Compared to a soft multi.. no where near as much. The main reason I completed the string job in a very good time was I was not re-setting the tension bar multiple times. Be back when I record some court hours with this string.

Bud
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Alpha 6 point Dropweight. Flying Clamps. Compared to a poly here was some play when stringing.. Compared to a soft multi.. no where near as much. The main reason I completed the string job in a very good time was I was not re-setting the tension bar multiple times. Be back when I record some court hours with this string.

I had to ratchet my drop weight 12-13 times before it finally stopped. That's gut-like territory :)

Virgilio
12-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Any other posters that will be selected for this string?

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 06:51 AM

As I'm assuming this is the only string in the playtest, I'll be stringing higher than my usual. Multi + Me = rocket launcher.

PimpMyGame
12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
As a UK user with my own stringing machine I would love to be selected for some playtests! Have done 361Nation, but that's all.

nvottennis
12-10-2010, 07:28 AM

They notified all present testers a while ago, so i doubt it

mikeler
12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
As I'm assuming this is the only string in the playtest, I'll be stringing higher than my usual. Multi + Me = rocket launcher.

I always string multis at 60 on my crank. There are a few multis out there that are low powered. I'm hoping this will be one to add to the list.

Mighty Matteo
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
The crosses were very easy to string. I did the entire frame in about 35 min.. which is about 10 min faster than usual. I have only hit a few balls with this set-up..but this string seems very interesting. The string was very easy to work with. The stringbed seems very soft and the sweetspot large.. sort of like a stiffer natty gut..or high end multi. Can't wait to give it a good test. The color is very similair to the Isospeed Pro (old version) or one of those low end natty guts from India.

You string on a dropweight in 35 or 45 minutes? Wow thats fast! I wonder how fast you would string on a crank or electronic!

mtr1
12-10-2010, 12:47 PM
As a UK user with my own stringing machine I would love to be selected for some playtests! Have done 361Nation, but that's all.

I feel the same way :)

Power Player
12-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking ill try this string at 55#s when I string it up in a week or 2.

jmjmkim
12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I've been stringing my poly on my Graphites down low at 44#, but as I was handling this string, it was so soft that no way it can be down in the 40's. My Graphite rec tension is 58#, so I strung mine at 53. I want to take it easy. But even at 53, the thing kept stretching and stretching, I had to take up the slack and pull again on my drop weight stringer.
I did a One piece job, and I had so much string left over I could probably use that piece for a cross section on a smaller frame. (JK)

pvaudio
12-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Got the string yesterday. The picture above is exactly what I got. It looks like a dark nylon string with a natural gut colored band. Looks like a multifilament or a syn gut to me. I'm leaning towards the latter as it is not as soft as most multifilaments are.

nvottennis
12-10-2010, 08:21 PM
roar, where is my set? Anyone from the east coast receive theirs yet?

SteveI
12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Got the string yesterday. The picture above is exactly what I got. It looks like a dark nylon string with a natural gut colored band. Looks like a multifilament or a syn gut to me. I'm leaning towards the latter as it is not as soft as most multifilaments are.

I am wondering if there are two versions or gauges of this string. I have the same reaction to the string that pvaudio had. The string was not as soft as the multis I am used to. Others are saying it is very soft. I did play the string tonight for 3 hours.. I will post my insights after two or three more hitting sessions.

Regards,
Steve

SteveI
12-10-2010, 08:49 PM
You string on a dropweight in 35 or 45 minutes? Wow thats fast! I wonder how fast you would string on a crank or electronic!

Hi,

Thanks... but the time is based on the fact I was stringing my main frame which I have done about 60 times.. and the M-fil 400 is very easy to string. I also did not have to re-set the tension bar much as there was not really that much play in the string.. sort of like stringing a solid core syn gut. Others have seen just the reverse... very soft string and having to reset tension multiple times.

Have a good one!
Steve

Bud
12-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Finally had a chance to spend a couple hours today with the string :)

Impressions thus far:

► String is very comfortable and crisp, almost gut-like
► String isn't mushy (which is an issue I have with many MF's)
► Moderate string movement but they slide back in place very easily
► Feels pretty powerful

So far, I really like it.

ryushen21
12-12-2010, 03:26 AM
Finally got my string. Same as everyone else. I'm gonna have my wife take a look at it under the microscope.

Kevo
12-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I thought it was a poly at first as well, but it's a multi with a lot of un-bonded or very lightly bonded fibers in the middle. The outer coating is quite thick for this type of string and it looks like the spiral wrap may be something like duraflex for abrasion resistance. Strung up very easily and I really hope I like it. It would be nice if it ended up playing similar to Yonex 850 with more durability. A reasonable price would be good too. :-)

!<-_->!
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Stringing: It strung up pretty easily. Did not notice the excess amounts of stretching as noted by some playtesters. (Stringing on a crank) It sort of reminded me of a softer Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex. After stringing, there wasn't much need to adjust the strings. It came off the machine fairly straight. It was also very easy to adjust, perhaps due to the slick coating.

* Tension: 57lbs
* Regular Set-Up: Pro Supex Big Ace 17 @ 53lbs or Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex 16 @ 56lbs
* String Pattern: Wilson KBlade 98 18x20
* Power (or lack there of)
* Feel
* Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension)
* Overall comments and feedback

Initial Impression:
First thing I noticed was the power level. For a string that strung up the way it did, it feels rather low powered. I had difficulties adjusting to it. Also, the string bed felt really muted. It wasn't stiff, and I wouldn't call it mushy exactly. However, I wasn't liking it. I'm used to a somewhat livelier string bed. Aside from that, nothing really stood out to be about this string. It was fairly comfortable. Spin was not really noticeable. Nothing extra there, and possibly less than what I feel like I get from Prince Synthetic w/ Duraflex. Perhaps it just needs to settle a little. Strung it up this morning and played w/ it at night. Will report back after more playing.

After logging a few more hours on the string, I feel like my opinion about it has not changed much. If it indeed is a multi, I would rank in the lower power category in comparison to other multis. There is nothing special in terms of spin department. Feel was average for the type of string it is. Better than polys, but doesn't make me feel like it had amazing feel. String is starting to move a little bit more now, but it is relatively easy to push them back into place. Tension maintenance seems fine. After the initial drop off, it seems to have settled in nicely.

Conclusion:
Popped at about 10-11 hour mark. Pretty surprising as I'll pop Prince Synthetic w/ Duraflex around 6 hours. Overall feelings about this string remain the same as before. Felt too muted for my tasted and no one category really stood out. Not a bad string if priced correctly. Could make for a good multi to hybrid with as it is fairly soft. Tension maintenance wasn't too bad. Felt it held up pretty well for the duration of the play test.

Bud
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyone else notice quite a bit of fraying with the string?

There are small fibers all over my stringbed which I thought were ball fuzz, initially (due to the color of the string). However, they are in places the ball never strikes.

JRstriker12
12-13-2010, 11:05 AM
roar, where is my set? Anyone from the east coast receive theirs yet?

Got mine Saturday and currently having it strung up. Can't wait to play with it tonight.

mikeler
12-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone else notice quite a bit of fraying with the string?

There are small fibers all over my stringbed which I thought were ball fuzz, initially (due to the color of the string). However, they are in places the ball never strikes.

Head RIP Control does that too. First string I'd ever seen that on. It did not effect the durability though.

nvottennis
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Got mine Saturday and currently having it strung up. Can't wait to play with it tonight.

yeah.. TW told me they should have it sent to me by last friday, but so far nothings here :(

Jonny S&V
12-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Did anyone have any problems with knots slipping? I've NEVER had this problem before (standard Parnell), and yet it happened on my main's tie-off (one-piece stringing). I ended up switching the pattern to an ATW, and I didn't feel like I cut off too much of the tail, but it still happened. Maybe it was just a fluke...

P.S. Initial observation: a stiff/crisp multi with a glossy coat. Me-likey so far...

JRstriker12
12-13-2010, 01:29 PM
yeah.. TW told me they should have it sent to me by last friday, but so far nothings here :(

IIRC - they sent two emails and you had to confirm the second time. Did you do that?

I live in the Washington DC Metro Area to give you a frame of reference.

Hope you get it soon.

Jonny S&V
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
IIRC - they sent two emails and you had to confirm the second time. Did you do that?

This is only if you've never done a string/racquet playtest for TW. I've done one string and one racquet playtest for TW, and I don't think I even had to confirm that I wanted to do the test, haha...

!<-_->!
12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Did anyone have any problems with knots slipping? I've NEVER had this problem before (standard Parnell), and yet it happened on my main's tie-off (one-piece stringing). I ended up switching the pattern to an ATW, and I didn't feel like I cut off too much of the tail, but it still happened. Maybe it was just a fluke...

P.S. Initial observation: a stiff/crisp multi with a glossy coat. Me-likey so far...

I had a little slippage on my starting knot for the crosses (2 piece string job). Luckily it didn't slip to the point where I had to redo it.

mikeler
12-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Maybe I'll leave my knot tails longer than normal.

JRstriker12
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
What is this stuff? I like it!

Day 1 Playtest:

Normal setup - Microgel Prestige Pro strung with Maxim Touch 17 + string savers - Full Bed @ 55lbs

Test Setup:
* Tension: 55lbs Full Bed
* String pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses
* Power: Good pop with control. Ball explodes off the racket when hit dead center, but still has plenty of control.
* Feel: Slightly above average feel. Has a slightly stiffer, crisp feel to it compared to MT17. Had no problems with touch shots.
* Tension maintenance: Great. After the first hit it seemed to keep most of it's tension. Very little string movement.

* Overall comments and feedback:

Got it strung up today and just finished playing with it. From the start it felt good. I felt it had a nice crisp feel to it but not overly harsh. Felt a bit stiffer from the start than my usual Maxim Touch 17 set-up. Noticed it didn't move much at all and only a few strings have moved by the end of my match. Had plenty of control and good feel on touch shots.

Where it really started to shine was about 60 minutes into my match. I was Three games and I started going for my shots. Balls hit right in the sweet spot came off surprisingly hard and I ended up hitting a few totally unexpected winners. The ball felt really sweet coming off the racket and the string felt comfortable, even on hard hit balls.

Spin was adequate, but I don't hit with a ton of spin, so it mas more than enough for me. Had more than enough spin to dip the ball cross-court for a short-angled shots.

Durability seems good so far. Didn't see much wear, other than a little fraying in a few spots.

I have a match coming up tomorrow. I'll see if I still love it when I play tomorrow.

Bud
12-13-2010, 09:45 PM

I had a little slippage on my starting knot for the crosses (2 piece string job). Luckily it didn't slip to the point where I had to redo it.

Maybe I'll leave my knot tails longer than normal.

No problems here with starting or finishing knots.

Bud
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM

I like it, too. We'll see how it goes throughout the remainder of the play test. I'd like to try it in a couple of other frames as well.

Be nice if it's affordable once it comes to market (based on playing characteristics, it will). If it's beyond 8-$10 per set, I'll stick with the string I currently use, however.

If this string just happens to be really affordable, it will sell extremely well, IMO.

- -

If anyone testing this string has a DT device handy please post tension loss characteristics throughout the test. It would be greatly appreciated.

brownbearfalling
12-14-2010, 02:36 AM

This string does seem really stiff. Thanks for the heads up on the knots.

One thing i noticed both with my set which I haven't strung up and in the pictures posted of the strings already installed in a racquet is that this string does not ghost. Every multifilament (anything made of PU) and every natural gut I have had experience with ghosts at the immediate sign of pressure. I bent this string back and forth and nothing happens. So I am interested to see how soft this string plays since others are leaning toward the fact that the string is some sort of multifilament.

Another thought, the color isn't bad, but it isn't pretty either.

brownbearfalling
12-14-2010, 02:37 AM
If this string just happens to be really affordable, it will sell extremely well, IMO.

I think so too since this string seems to be very unique.

mikeler
12-14-2010, 04:19 AM
This string does seem really stiff. Thanks for the heads up on the knots.

One thing i noticed both with my set which I haven't strung up and in the pictures posted of the strings already installed in a racquet is that this string does not ghost. Every multifilament (anything made of PU) and every natural gut I have had experience with ghosts at the immediate sign of pressure. I bent this string back and forth and nothing happens. So I am interested to see how soft this string plays since others are leaning toward the fact that the string is some sort of multifilament.

Another thought, the color isn't bad, but it isn't pretty either.

That's very odd that you have no ghosting. I'm looking forward to stringing this up on Saturday.

SteveI
12-14-2010, 04:53 AM
That's very odd that you have no ghosting. I'm looking forward to stringing this up on Saturday.

Hey Mikeler,

Yes.. no ghosting. I think the extra think coating (shield) might be protecting the string during stringing. The string was very hard to bend by hand.. not quite like a poly.. but not at all like a multi. More like a stiffer solid core syn gut. The string once installed, plays much more soft than a visual and tactile inspection would indicate. Really looking to get your insights. I have only 3 hours on my set.. so I did not really want to share much as my time with this string is quite low at this point. I need to get the string over 8 hours to really give a fair playtest. I do not think I will be breaking it under 8 hrs.. unless I shank one.

NOTE: Has anyone determined the gauge? Before and after stringing? Tension loss?

SteveI
12-14-2010, 04:55 AM
I think so too since this string seems to be very unique.

Yes indeed.. very unique. So far.. I think it seems like a cross between TF X-1 and Isospeed Professional (old version)

themitchmann
12-14-2010, 05:09 AM
I like the feel and playability of the string so far, but to me it plays like a top end syn gut.

mikeler
12-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey Mikeler,

Yes.. no ghosting. I think the extra think coating (shield) might be protecting the string during stringing. The string was very hard to bend by hand.. not quite like a poly.. but not at all like a multi. More like a stiffer solid core syn gut. The string once installed, plays much more soft than a visual and tactile inspection would indicate. Really looking to get your insights. I have only 3 hours on my set.. so I did not really want to share much as my time with this string is quite low at this point. I need to get the string over 8 hours to really give a fair playtest. I do not think I will be breaking it under 8 hrs.. unless I shank one.

NOTE: Has anyone determined the gauge? Before and after stringing? Tension loss?

It does seem stiff to the touch out of the package. Sounds like one of your favorite strings Head RIP Control. Stiff in the package but relatively soft in the racket.

Bud
12-14-2010, 08:23 AM
It does seem stiff to the touch out of the package. Sounds like one of your favorite strings Head RIP Control. Stiff in the package but relatively soft in the racket.

I never cared for RIP Control (too mushy) but I'm liking this string so far.

This string is closer in feel to something like Gosen OG Sheep Micro, IMO.

mikeler
12-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I never cared for RIP Control (too mushy) but I'm liking this string so far.

This string is closer in feel to something like Gosen OG Sheep Micro, IMO.

Yikes. I did not like the feel of that string. Oh well, I'll just have to try it for myself hopefully Sunday morning.

Ambivalent
12-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I just got an email 5 minutes ago for this playtest, so don't fear, they are still sending them out.

Fed Kennedy
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Got mine. I'm going to hybrid it with some thin poly...you guys think it should go Mains a la gut or x-1 or Crosses a la psgd or gosen?

mikeler
12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I actually found time to string this up tonight on my Gamma X-ST lockout machine. I strung it at 60 pounds like I do all my other multis. As mentioned previously, these strings do not ghost from the clamps. Because of the rough texture, weaves are a little tougher than a typical multi. It had a lot of coil memory too. Probably should have pre-stretched it. The string does not stretch as much as Mantis Comfort and Maxim Touch, the two softest strings I've found so far. I bounced a few balls off the strings and it feels very muted which I like. Just from the ball bouncing, it seemed most like Tourna Quasi Gut but I know that is not a very accurate test. I'm playing Thursday evening so I'll give it a whirl then and report back.

flashfire276
12-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Got mine. I'm going to hybrid it with some thin poly...you guys think it should go Mains a la gut or x-1 or Crosses a la psgd or gosen?

I don't think TW allows your to do hybrids for any string playtests...

!<-_->!
12-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Pretty sure they do. You just have to be sure to include that information.

flashfire276
12-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Pretty sure they do. You just have to be sure to include that information.

Oh shoot! You actually can!

LPShanet
12-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Got the string a few days ago, and installed it. Just played for a couple of hours today, and will post further thoughts later, but a few initial impressions:

Tension: 54 lbs. on an electronic constant pull machine. I pre-stretched slightly by hand prior to installation, just to remove coil memory. The string is very stretchy, much like Gamma TNT and other resilient compositions.

Regular setup: Varies. Most often gut mains with Luxilon Fluoro crosses. Alternately I sometimes use various multis, such as Gamma TNT Touch, NXT, Babolat FiberTour, Isospeed, etc.

String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20 (Babolat Pure Control +)

Power: Decent response. Fairly crisp and decent power, but not explosive. I would call the string pretty powerful but controllable. Not a slingshot.

Feel: This is where this string really excels in my opinion. It is VERY comfortable, and muted (in a good way). No loss of feel at all, it just plays very "quiet", and solid. Sort of feels like you have a vibration dampener in even if you don't. Reminds me a little bit of TGV in that respect.

Tension maintenance: Too soon to tell, as I have only played with it once. But it seemed very elastic and resilient when I installed it, so it will probably do decently in this regard. As Bud noted in a previous posting, this string stretches a LOT, and my tension head kept creeping further along the track to keep the tension at a constant level.

Installation: Quite easy to install, and not a lot of coil memory. Overall, very easy to work with, although the texture did cause some friction on cross string installation, which can slow down people who are fast weavers. It's also advisable to be careful not to burn the crosses for this reason. The string is fairly pliable, and I have no idea how anyone could have even considered that this might be poly. Clearly in the nylon/PU realm.

Overall comments and feedback: So far a very nice string, and super easy on the arm. Anyone with sensitivity to harsh strings will probably like this one. Though it's clearly very elastic and resilient, the power was very manageable and ball response very consistent. Nice quiet, solid feel, and fairly crisp. Despite its ugly color, this one could be a real find if the price is decent.

More to come as I hit a few more times.

JRstriker12
12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Day 2 Play test:

Total time on court: 3 hours

String is holding up pretty well. I can see a few placed where the wrapper is fraying a bit, but so far the string isn't showing too much wear.

In addition, it seems to be holding its tension well. Still not much string movement at all and it still has that slightly stiff but crisp feel.

Played in the slightly colder bubble today so the balls felt a bit more dead today, so the string didn't feel quite as powerful as yesterday, but I still hit my share of winners. Touch around net is still good and the control is there.

Spin is so-so, but still works for me.

Day 1 Playtest:

Normal setup - Microgel Prestige Pro strung with Maxim Touch 17 + string savers - Full Bed @ 55lbs

Test Setup:
* Tension: 55lbs Full Bed
* Power: Good pop with control. Ball explodes off the racket when hit dead center, but still has plenty of control.
* Feel: Slightly above average feel. Has a slightly stiffer, crisp feel to it compared to MT17. Had no problems with touch shots.
* Tension maintenance: Great. After the first hit it seemed to keep most of it's tension. Very little string movement.

Got it strung up today and just finished playing with it. From the start it felt good. I felt it had a nice crisp feel to it but not overly harsh. Felt a bit stiffer from the start than my usual Maxim Touch 17 set-up. Noticed it didn't move much at all and only a few strings have moved by the end of my match. Had plenty of control and good feel on touch shots.

Where it really started to shine was about 60 minutes into my match. I was Three games and I started going for my shots. Balls hit right in the sweet spot came off surprisingly hard and I ended up hitting a few totally unexpected winners. The ball felt really sweet coming off the racket and the string felt comfortable, even on hard hit balls.

Spin was adequate, but I don't hit with a ton of spin, so it mas more than enough for me. Had more than enough spin to dip the ball cross-court for a short-angled shots.

Durability seems good so far. Didn't see much wear, other than a little fraying in a few spots.

I have a match coming up tomorrow. I'll see if I still love it when I play tomorrow.

pvaudio
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Racquet: Dunlop Aerogel 100

String Pattern: 16 x 19

Regular Setup: WeissCANNON Scorpion 1.22 / Perf.Maxx Natural Gut

Stringing Machine: Silent Partner Aria

Stringing Method: Two piece

Tension (lbs): 58/60

ACTUAL REVIEW

Stringing: Stringing this multi was more difficult than many multifilaments such as NRG, X-1, Maxim Touch or Explosiv! as examples. This is due to the string being relatively stiff feeling for a multifilament. It feels more like a 16g synthetic gut instead. The mains obviously were not difficult and I strung them with relative ease. The string was not very elastic, so there was minimal clamp pull-back upon releasing the tension head.

The crosses were a bit more difficult to string, but not very*. Again, the string feels like a synthetic gut in hand so it for me was more difficult than a softer multifilament. The string didn't really have any friction burn when pulling the string through either which is likely due to its coating. I liked the fact that while the knots are bulkier than normal (a function of me using very thin gauge strings normally), Pro knots were not difficult to tie.

*I do not push or pull weave when I string as my hands are far too sweaty. I use a modified sewing motion which is indeed slower than push or pull weaving, but I never have to re-start a weave as you have to with pushing or pulling. Even with this method I can get an unfamiliar racquet done in about 20-25 minutes.

Power: Not much to write home about here. Not nearly as powerful as NRG or Explosiv!. I would compare the power level to that of Prince Topspin Plus. It does not appear to be very elastic as more powerful multifilaments which attempt to replicate the feel and performance of natural gut are. It has the power of a nylon string with an edge towards a mid-grade muti-filament. Again, power level was pretty similar to Prince Topspin.

Feel: Weak. As I've stated in my previous string reviews, I don't believe in terms like dwell time and ball pocketing as they really aren't legitimate objective descriptions of anything. The feel of the string really is also comparable to a synthetic gut. It's not exactly soft, but definitely doesn't have the harshness of a cheap nylon. I'd put it at the level of Pro Supex Spiral Flex 16. It's crisp, but does not give you the communication of a high quality multi-filament. I am biased as I use natural gut cross strings, but used to play with a full bed of NRG18 for my entire high school career and only once I entered college did I switch to polyester. This brown string doesn't come close to NRG.

Control: Fairly decent. Again, this string seems like a mid-high grade synthetic gut. To me that sounds paradoxical, but it's what I experienced. I also don't believe that a string allows one to "not miss" a shot as a change in string can't improve one's performance that much. However, the following section will expand on that statement. This string, being low powered, gives decent control simply in a passive manner as there isn't enough pop to fire shots where you don't want them.

Spin: Below average for a multi-filament, but a bit above average for a synthetic gut. In high school I used a full Western grip, so I tested the string using my now permanent semi-Western grip then switched for about 20 minutes to the full Western. Differences in spin production were minimal at best. The string really isn't meant to be a spin string and doesn't have anything to offer here compared to other multifilaments from Technifibre and Laserfibre.

Durability: Can't say. String didn't experience any fraying that I could tell and I tend to hit with quite a lot of spin. I can shred a full bed of NRG17 in 50 minutes (not snap, shred...of which there are pictures posted in this forum), but this unmarked guy didn't exhibit any fraying and will most likely snap as is typical of synthetic guts. String movement was obvious, especially when I switched to the Western grip, but I don't know of any multifilament or synthetic gut that does not move after hitting. Straightening was easy.

Tension Maintenance: Fairly decent. I have five AG100s, four of which are my main racquets. I use the fifth racquet for these playtests and if I'm teaching or feeding for some junior players where I don't want to wear out my string beds which are strung with natural gut. With that said, I purposely strung the crosses tighter by two pounds to try to get an even stringbed stiffness. After my entire playtest which was about 1.5 hours, the string seemed to have the same tension as when I first started out. Then again, when playing with multis and syn. guts, this isn't as much of an issue as when using polyester strings. Overall, not bad.

CONCLUSION

This is a decent multifilament string. if it's priced below $6 or $7, it might be a viable choice for those looking for a multi with lower feel and power. Even still, I personally would not consider the string for any application whether a full bed or in any form of hybrid.

-Dave

Bud
12-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Got the string a few days ago, and installed it. Just played for a couple of hours today, and will post further thoughts later, but a few initial impressions:

Tension: 54 lbs. on an electronic constant pull machine. I pre-stretched slightly by hand prior to installation, just to remove coil memory. The string is very stretchy, much like Gamma TNT and other resilient compositions.

Regular setup: Varies. Most often gut mains with Luxilon Fluoro crosses. Alternately I sometimes use various multis, such as Gamma TNT Touch, NXT, Babolat FiberTour, Isospeed, etc.

String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20 (Babolat Pure Control +)

Power: Decent response. Fairly crisp and decent power, but not explosive. I would call the string pretty powerful but controllable. Not a slingshot.

Feel: This is where this string really excels in my opinion. It is VERY comfortable, and muted (in a good way). No loss of feel at all, it just plays very "quiet", and solid. Sort of feels like you have a vibration dampener in even if you don't. Reminds me a little bit of TGV in that respect.

Tension maintenance: Too soon to tell, as I have only played with it once. But it seemed very elastic and resilient when I installed it, so it will probably do decently in this regard. As Bud noted in a previous posting, this string stretches a LOT, and my tension head kept creeping further along the track to keep the tension at a constant level.

Installation: Quite easy to install, and not a lot of coil memory. Overall, very easy to work with, although the texture did cause some friction on cross string installation, which can slow down people who are fast weavers. It's also advisable to be careful not to burn the crosses for this reason. The string is fairly pliable, and I have no idea how anyone could have even considered that this might be poly. Clearly in the nylon/PU realm.

Overall comments and feedback: So far a very nice string, and super easy on the arm. Anyone with sensitivity to harsh strings will probably like this one. Though it's clearly very elastic and resilient, the power was very manageable and ball response very consistent. Nice quiet, solid feel, and fairly crisp. Despite its ugly color, this one could be a real find if the price is decent.

More to come as I hit a few more times.

Your experience with this string nearly mirrors mine. I'm not understanding those who state this string is stiff with little stretch. It stretched more than any other string on my DW machine, I believe. The stretch is right up there in NG/MF territory.

Have you noticed the small green hairs all over the stringbed? I initially thought it was ball fuzz.

pvaudio
12-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Your experience with this string nearly mirrors mine. I'm not understanding those who state this string is stiff with little stretch. It stretched more than any other string on my DW machine, I believe. The stretch is right up there in NG/MF territory.

Have you noticed the small green hairs all over the stringbed? I initially thought it was ball fuzz.
THe gripper on the Aria is a linear gripper which rotates. It rotated simply about the amount that Pro Supex Synthetic Gut (original, 1.20) does, and there was little sling-back of the clamps. So no, I didn't experience this either.

SteveI
12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
THe gripper on the Aria is a linear gripper which rotates. It rotated simply about the amount that Pro Supex Synthetic Gut (original, 1.20) does, and there was little sling-back of the clamps. So no, I didn't experience this either.

I also am using a linear gripper which also rotates. I also had very little "draw back" on the clamps. Very few resets of the tension bar. On about 80 percent of the pulls I was able to hit the mark on the 1st or 2nd try. This mirrors a firm, solid core stringing experience on my machine. This is pretty much what I expected from bending and inspection of the string. Been stringing since 1998.. I know what an elastic string looks like on my stringer.. this was not one of them.

pvaudio
12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I also am using a linear gripper which also rotates. I also had very little "draw back" on the clamps. Very few resets of the tension bar. On about 80 percent of the pulls I was able to hit the mark on the 1st or 2nd try. This mirrors a firm, solid core stringing experience on my machine. This is pretty much what I expected from bending and inspection of the string. Been stringing since 1998.. I know what an elastic string looks like on my stringer.. this was not one of them.Mirrors my experience exactly.

What machine are you using?

SteveI
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Mirror's my experience exactly.

What machine are you using?

Alpha Pioneer II. Six-point drop weight with flying clamps and linear gripper. Old machine.. Built like a tank.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=31729

The Alpha Pioneer III is the fixed clamp version (up-grade):

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=105719

Topaz
12-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Just received my string today but since I don't actually string my frames myself, it may be awhile until I actually get to try it...looking forward to it though!

themitchmann
12-15-2010, 05:18 PM
The outer wrap in the string is starting to unravel after only a couple hours of play.

pvaudio
12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
People were doing natural gut hybrids with the 361 Nation. Honestly, I don't understand what in the world the point in play testing it is unless you always use natty crosses. I don't see how you can determine how good a string is unless you just use that string.

nvottennis
12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
People were doing natural gut hybrids with the 361 Nation. Honestly, I don't understand what in the world the point in play testing it is unless you always use natty crosses. I don't see how you can determine how good a string is unless you just use that string.

Exactly my thoughts. Tw should honestly forbid hybrids during playtests since they dont give a sincere review of the unknown string alone

flashfire276
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Exactly what I was thinking! I mean, it's obviously going to change the reaction of the player and it's performance! Like you said, what's the point in playtesting it if you always use natty crosses?
And besides, people can easily "cheat" on their reviews if they do a hybrid with a string they're familiar with. You guys get me?

JRstriker12
12-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Day 3 Play Test:

Total Time on court: 4.5 hours

Notice the wrap is starting to fracture in some places. There are a few noticeable spots where the wrap is a lighter color because the outer wrap is starting to break. There are also also a few spots where the wrap is unraveling.

Feel is still crisp for the most part, but I did notice a few volleys where it seemed like I got a trampoline effect where the ball flew way further than I expected for the type of volley I hit.

I'm thinking I might get another 6 hours out of this string before it breaks.

Well, no more tennis for me this week. I'll be back on the courts next Monday.

Day 2 Play test:

Total time on court: 3 hours

String is holding up pretty well. I can see a few places where the wrapper is fraying a bit, but so far the string isn't showing too much wear.

In addition, it seems to be holding its tension well. Still not much string movement at all and it still has that slightly stiff but crisp feel.

Played in the slightly colder bubble today so the balls felt a bit more dead today, so the string didn't feel quite as powerful as yesterday, but I still hit my share of winners. Touch around net is still good and the control is there.

Spin is so-so, but still works for me.

flashfire276
12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Day 3 Play Test:

Total Time on court: 4.5 hours

Notice the wrap is starting to fracture in some places. There are a few noticeable spots where the wrap is a lighter color because the outer wrap is starting to break. There are also also a few spots where the wrap is unraveling.

Feel is still crisp for the most part, but I did notice a few volleys where it seemed like I got a trampoline effect where the ball flew way further than I expected for the type of volley I hit.

I'm thinking I might get another 6 hours out of this string before it breaks.

Well, no more tennis for me this week. I'll be back on the courts next Monday.

Very nice reviews man! Kind of mirroring my thoughts at the moment (should post my review in a couple of days).
I know the string is starting to fray from it's first layer. But do you see any notching at the moment?

LPShanet
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM

I agree with you about the stretch. Furthermore, when I did the pre-stretch by hand, I could clearly feel it. Not sure why others aren't also noticing this. It may behave slightly stiffly in terms of lateral rigidity (i.e. when it is bent), but it very stretchy along its axis (i.e. when it is pulled).

Didn't notice the green hairs, though. Could they have happened during the cross string pulling? I did mine very gently due to the texture, but a normal pull might create fibers from the coating.

mikeler
12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Playing in about a half hour with this mystery string. I'll report back in the morning most likely.

JRstriker12
12-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Very nice reviews man! Kind of mirroring my thoughts at the moment (should post my review in a couple of days).
I know the string is starting to fray from it's first layer. But do you see any notching at the moment?

Thanks.

I haven't noticed any notching yet - but I haven't looked very hard. Let me take a second look later today.

BobFL
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow, USPS in warp speed. 16 days from SLO to Orlando?!

Thank you TW people, I just got the package. I will restring my racquet tonight and will be playing tomorrow...

BobFL
12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow, this is by far the stretchiest string I have ever seen. Babolat n.vy is a joke compared to this one. I had to readjust dw like 10 times to go parallel...

It feels very waxy and slippery...

Bud
12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, this is by far the stretchiest string I have ever seen. Babolat n.vy is a joke compared to this one. I had to readjust dw like 10 times to go parallel...

Lol! What did I tell ya? I've never ratcheted my DW that many times on any other string that I can recall.

I was ratcheting 12-13 times most pulls, stringing at 60#

brownbearfalling
12-17-2010, 02:23 AM

The stretchiest string I have every strung with are the Gamma live wires. But I can't remember how much n.vy stretches.

mikeler
12-17-2010, 04:26 AM
OK, here is my initial review in the TW format.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Lowest powered multi I've ever used
Feel: Little feel
Tension maintenance: It seemed to drop after about 2 sets
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I could tell on the first few hits last night this string was VERY low powered. Everything I was hitting in the warm up was dropping in the service box. I was also hitting a lot of balls in the net. Basically my stroke had to change and aim higher so I could get the ball in. It really took a lot of effort to hit a deep ball. Normally my complaint with multis is that they are too powerful.

Serve: First serve lacked pop. Second serve lacked spin. I live and die by my serve. Last night was brutal.

Strokes: Many went in the net. To compensate I would swing as hard as I could resulting in balls going long. Not good.

Volleys: After getting beat 1 and 1, we played a practice 3rd set and I came to net a lot to try the string out at net. It's very good for volleys.

Touch shots: Awful. I felt like I had to actually hit a full stroke to get a drop shot over the net.

Softness: The string feels like a stiffer multi like Head RIP Control. It's almost too stiff for my elbow.

Tension: For those that have not strung this up yet, consider dropping it a few pounds below your normal setup. Fortunately the string dropped a little in tension and I won the practice set I played 6-0. Don't think my opponent was all that motivated though.

Durability: I'm definitely seeing some notching in my setup. I hope it breaks soon. Please!

Movement: The strings move around a lot but that does not bother me.

Conclusion: Got a very tough opponent tomorrow, think I'll play with my normal setup to avoid another crushing loss. I'll give this string another shot, but I doubt I would ever purchase this string. Perhaps a lower tension would change my mind but I can't change that now.

BobFL
12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
OK, I just played my friend. We played 3 sets. I played with Biomimetic 600 (102, 16x19). I hybridize my racquets but just for this occasion I strung my other racquet with full bed Babolat N.VY at the same tension of course - 59lbs. To put this is perspective with my racquet: 59lbs on dw machine should be discounted by ~4lbs to get comparable tension on electrinic machine. The recommended tension range for 600 is 55-6lbs.

Tension it is strung: 59lbs on DW machine; compared to the same racquet strung at the same tension with Babolat N.VY 16

My regular string set up: I exclusively use N.VY for crosses and various polys on mains (PH, Black Widow...)

String pattern of my racquet: 16x19

Power: Asymptotically Approaches Zero. My serves were very fluffy with no zip. I could not hit my usual angles and spots. I was getting tired because I was trying to compensate an evident lack of power with harder hitting. Didn't work. Just a friendly reminder here: the racquet was strung at the lowest recommended tension.

Feel: I am not really a 'feel' player but this one offered very little feel. I felt unusually disconnected from the ball. Very very strange feeling string.

Tension maintenance: Too early to tell. I did notice initial drop in tension but nothing major. It looks like it is going to hold tension well.

Stiffness and 'sound': It felt softer than N.VY. It also felt A LOT mushier than N.VY and I am very sensitive to the sound of my strings. They must sound good!

Spin: Very poor performing in this category. I hit flat ball but my slices and and slice serves were nowhere near the level I am able to produce with the other racquet (n.vy, full bed) let alone with usual hybrids.

Overall comments and feedback: I didn't like this string. It felt like it was extruded from a candle: very waxy and slippery. I am not able to name any highlights of this string. It was just a poor performer overall. Maybe the durability and tension maintenance are good but that remains to be determined.

mikeler
12-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I forgot to post about spin Bob, but I agree. "Asymptotically Approaches Zero", I still have tears in my eyes from that laugh.

I should also point out that Bob and I are fairly big for tennis players so generating power is usually not a problem for myself and for Bob I would suspect.

volleynets
12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Exactly what I was thinking! I mean, it's obviously going to change the reaction of the player and it's performance! Like you said, what's the point in playtesting it if you always use natty crosses?
And besides, people can easily "cheat" on their reviews if they do a hybrid with a string they're familiar with. You guys get me?

I think there is one reason people do that. If they have played a hybrid for a long time then the feel would be completely different to just use whatever string they get in a full set.

So by switching the mains of the hybrid with the test strings they would be able to give a better review. The review would be more easily compared to their original setup than putting the test string in a full set and comparing it to X mains, Y crosses.

I hit twice with this string and will put a review today or tomorrow.

flashfire276
12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Okay! Took it to my stringer, let it sit around for a day, and went out for a couple of hitting sessions. Note that this is my first time playing with any kind of gut/multi on my own racquet, because I'm usually a full poly or poly hybrid kind of guy. Also, I just switched from that 361 Nation string on this racquet, so this is a really big difference.

Tension: 58 lbs
Regular Setup: Gosen Polylon 17/OG Sheep Micro 16 @ 58lbs
Racquet: Babolat Aero Storm Cortex (16x20)

First Impressions
----------------
When the string came in, I thought, "What the?? Natural gut? It's smells weird!" But it has a very strange texture on it, and it had a very slippery surface. Very strange for a poly kind of guy.
Took it to my stringer. Just told him to string it at 58 as always, and treat it like multi. When I came in, I asked him on what his thoughts on the string were. "Very stretchy! This would be something totally different for you."

Power/Control
--------------
Nice amount of power! It's not amazing, but really nice for my kind of game. I think that "trampoline effect" is starting to kick in. My strokes were coming out nice and deep. Approach shots were coming out fast, which was a shocker for me. But with this amount of power, there was still a nice amount of control. I can still easily aim where I want my ball to go, except maybe my volleys. Maybe the trampoline effect was kind of pushing my ball a bit too far.
But my serves was were I was kind of "iffy" on. I just couldn't get it right with this string. I was assuming to get improvement just like my strokes, but this wasn't the case. I had to adjust my swing and slow it down in order to get some pace. But it didn't come out as nice as I thought it would.

Spin
----
Spin was okay. I was expecting more from a textured string, but it was more than my typical poly setup. Topspin generation came easy, and my slices had a bit more "kick" than usual. But I'm assuming that the slippery coating on this string kind of prevented its full spin potential.

Feel
----
Soft, mushy. Just like how I feel with most multis. I'm not a big fan with that mushy kind of feel, because I love a firm response. But the softness of the string really helped me go against those heavy balls and first serves. So this was a first for me.
What I did like about this string was that it had a nice amount of "pop". I'm really critical when it comes to that sound. It may not be as much as Babolat Revenge, , but the pop was nice for a string this "mushy".

Tension Maintenance
--------------------
Pretty good so far! Played a couple games with it and some hitting sessions, and nothing too different from point A and point B. Strings don't move around that much, which is a big pleaser for me! Apparently multis have really good tension maintenance, and I think this kind of proves it.

Durability
---------
Uhmmm... I don't know what to say. A bit too early to give a full opinion. That top layer is starting to "shrivel" down. There's a bit of notching in the center of my stringbed. Maybe it's because I'm used to such long-lasting polys. I estimate I can still get maybe 3 more sets with this string. I know multis supposedly have really long life because they can hold tension so well, but I hope the string itself can last some tough shots.

Overall Comments/Feedback
---------------------------
I'm not much of a multi or gut kind of guy. But if you're into that kind of softness, you can give this a try. Lots of power and stretch. So if you don't want so much trampoline effect, you might want to try to prestretch and string a bit higher than usual. Soft and mushy kind of feel. Might recommend this to some players that seek a bit more "oomph" in their strokes while finding comfort.
But for players out there like me, this can be a really nice hybrid if you find the right string. Maybe a thinner, softer co-poly would make a nice hybrid to compliment its softness and power.

mikeler
12-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm wondering if people with stiffer rackets are enjoying this more than those of us with more flexible lower powered rackets.

pvaudio
12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
OK, I just played my friend. We played 3 sets. I played with Biomimetic 600 (102, 16x19). I hybridize my racquets but just for this occasion I strung my other racquet with full bed Babolat N.VY at the same tension of course - 59lbs. To put this is perspective with my racquet: 59lbs on dw machine should be discounted by ~4lbs to get comparable tension on electrinic machine. The recommended tension range for 600 is 55-6lbs.

Tension it is strung: 59lbs on DW machine; compared to the same racquet strung at the same tension with Babolat N.VY 16

My regular string set up: I exclusively use N.VY for crosses and various polys on mains (PH, Black Widow...)

Power: Asymptotically Approaches Zero. My serves were very fluffy with no zip. I could not hit my usual angles and spots. I was getting tired because I was trying to compensate an evident lack of power with harder hitting. Didn't work. Just a friendly reminder here: the racquet was strung at the lowest recommended tension.

Feel: I am not really a 'feel' player but this one offered very little feel. I felt unusually disconnected from the ball. Very very strange feeling string.

Tension maintenance: Too early to tell. I did notice initial drop in tension but nothing major. It looks like it is going to hold tension well.

Stiffness and 'sound': It felt softer than N.VY. It also felt A LOT mushier than N.VY and I am very sensitive to the sound of my strings. They must sound good!

Spin: Very poor performing in this category. I hit flat ball but my slices and and slice serves were nowhere near the level I am able to produce with the other racquet (n.vy, full bed) let alone with usual hybrids.

Overall comments and feedback: I didn't like this string. It felt like it was extruded from a candle: very waxy and slippery. I am not able to name any highlights of this string. It was just a poor performer overall. Maybe the durability and tension maintenance are good but that remains to be determined.
You must be an engineer as well :lol:

JRstriker12
12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm wondering if people with stiffer rackets are enjoying this more than those of us with more flexible lower powered rackets.

It's interesting to see all the different reactions to the string.

I agree that the spin is so-so, but the reaction to the power level of the string seems to vary.

I play with a microgel prestige pro, which has a stiffness of 63 - that's flexy for me, my last stick was a PDR.

The string doesn't feel all that powerful on average - I didn't feel it lacked a lot power but provided a good control/power blend. I think first time out, hard hit balls dropped at the baseline instead of going deep.

But maybe it gets a little trampoline effect when you hit in the sweet spot or as the tension drops. I swear that a dead-center ball comes off much harder than I expected in comparison to my usual set-up. I also see that some other testers got some volleys where the ball just flew long.

flashfire276
12-17-2010, 11:48 AM

I have to agree with that.
Like, there's a lot of players that are enjoying this string, such as Bud and JRstriker12.
Then there's you and BobFL, and I know you guys have a lot of experience and high standards for soft strings. But I find it interesting is that the results are starting to vary from everyone's perspective. Like you 2 aren't big fans of these strings, while JRstriker12 is enjoying his time he got with it.

It's probably just personal preference I believe. Like how I enjoy a firmer response, while many love buttery-soft feel.

nvottennis
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
After reading all the initial reviews, I'm not as excited to receive the playtest anymore, lol. Please tell me this is all a joke

mikeler
12-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with that.
Like, there's a lot of players that are enjoying this string, such as Bud and JRstriker12.
Then there's you and BobFL, and I know you guys have a lot of experience and high standards for soft strings. But I find it interesting is that the results are starting to vary from everyone's perspective. Like you 2 aren't big fans of these strings, while JRstriker12 is enjoying his time he got with it.

It's probably just personal preference I believe. Like how I enjoy a firmer response, while many love buttery-soft feel.

Yeah the results are all over the place! Poor TW, they have to try and wade through this to figure if they want to sell the string. Might be a good idea to add a "Would you buy this string if the price were right?" poll just to help them decide whether to carry it. I do like my buttery feel, so nice on the elbow. :)

JRstriker12
12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah the results are all over the place! Poor TW, they have to try and wade through this to figure if they want to sell the string. Might be a good idea to add a "Would you buy this string if the price were right?" poll just to help them decide whether to carry it. I do like my buttery feel, so nice on the elbow. :)

I dont think the opinions are that far often when you consider the player's persepctive.

For most of the poly players, this string is mushy (and it is in comparison to poly) has more power and less spin. But for multi-players, it's a bit stiff, less powerful, maybe a bit more control and so-so spin.

So on average I think we get a stiffer, control oreinted multi/synth gut with average spin, maybe a bit better than average durability (IMHO).

There were some disagreements on if the string stretches alot. Could that be a function of the type of machine you use? Or maybe the string batches are inconsistent??? (not good)

Anyway, it's always fun to try something new.

I'd definitely buy a few sets and see how it does with some string savers.

mikeler
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I dont think the opinions are that far often when you consider the player's persepctive.

For most of the poly players, this string is mushy (and it is in comparison to poly) has more power and less spin. But for multi-players, it's a bit stiff, less powerful, maybe a bit more control and so-so spin.

So on average I think we get a stiffer, control oreinted multi/synth gut with average spin, maybe a bit better than average durability (IMHO).

There were some disagreements on if the string stretches alot. Could that be a function of the type of machine you use? Or maybe the string batches are inconsistent??? (not good)

Anyway, it's always fun to try something new.

I'd definitely buy a few sets and see how it does with some string savers.

That's a valid point about those coming over from the poly world. The string was like a typical multi for me on my crank machine. I'm sure you notice it much more on a drop weight. It's nowhere near as stretchy as the Mantis Comfort Synthetic that I use. That first pull with the Mantis I have to use almost the entire length that my crank will travel.

pvaudio
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
IMO, the fact that you have to do that means....NOPE! :)

LPShanet
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Softness: The string feels like a stiffer multi like Head RIP Control. It's almost too stiff for my elbow.

I'm not disagreeing that it may feel that way, but Head RIP Control is NOT considered a stiff multi objectively speaking. It clocks in at around 185, which is quite soft, and well below a lot of strings that are considered to be soft multis.

Bud
12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
It's interesting to see all the different reactions to the string.

I agree that the spin is so-so, but the reaction to the power level of the string seems to vary.

I play with a microgel prestige pro, which has a stiffness of 63 - that's flexy for me, my last stick was a PDR.

The string doesn't feel all that powerful on average - I didn't feel it lacked a lot power but provided a good control/power blend. I think first time out, hard hit balls dropped at the baseline instead of going deep.

But maybe it gets a little trampoline effect when you hit in the sweet spot or as the tension drops. I swear that a dead-center ball comes off much harder than I expected in comparison to my usual set-up. I also see that some other testers got some volleys where the ball just flew long.

I agree. It's almost like two completely different sets of string were sent out that appear identical :lol:

I was hoping to put another 3 hours on it tonight but unfortunately I think the rain may start before 6pm :mad:

Kevo
12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Blind String Review:
Tension it is strung
Strung at 50lbs. CP full set
Spiky Shark 50lbs. full set
Pure Storm Ltd. 18x20
Power (or lack there of)
Similarly powerful to my regular setup. At times I did get a bit more pop than expected, but nothing out of the ordinary for this type of string.
Feel
I was surprised by the lack of feel from this string. This is even more mute than most of the polys I've tried. I was tempted to put it down just for this reason alone, but I kept playing with it and did notice that it got a little better after a break in period. I would still say this is one of the most muted strings I've played.
So far so good. Don't have a lot of time on it yet, but not much tension loss so far.
Overall comments and feedback
So far the most notable thing about this string is how muted it plays. I'm curious to read more about how it feels to others at different tensions and in other frames. Performance of the string was decent. It performed similar to my normal setup with maybe a little bit less spin. It does move around a bit, so I think durability will be less, but so far it's holding up well. Really my only complaint so far is the lack of feel. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it in warmer temperatures to see if that helps. It's been quite cool recently, and that could have something to do with it.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Mine arrived today. I'll get Geoff to string it up this weekend, then report! ;) BHBH

mikeler
12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm not disagreeing that it may feel that way, but Head RIP Control is NOT considered a stiff multi objectively speaking. It clocks in at around 185, which is quite soft, and well below a lot of strings that are considered to be soft multis.

I've been using real soft multis. Don't even bother with the RSI on Mantis Comfort. At 175 it feels like 125.

zapvor
12-17-2010, 07:22 PM

[*ments and feedbackThanks,
TW Staff

thanks for picking me TW! going to string it up this weekend. review to follow.

BreakPoint
12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
The stretchiest string I have every strung with are the Gamma live wires. But I can't remember how much n.vy stretches.
What is "n.vy:? :confused:

kinsella
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
* I strung a full set of the test string at 56# (no hybrid)(NEOS 1000 with Wise Tension Head at constant pull setting). Very easy and unremarkable to string.
* My string set up for a long time was Signum Pure Pro Poly Plasma 1.18 mm mains with Gosen OG Sheep 18 gauge (1.15 mm) crosses at 56#. I am in the midst of trying out many strings, looking for a polyester with power, spin and comfort to hybrid with either a synthetic gut or a multi-filament, depending on the poly. Signum Tornado and MSV Hex are promising candidates for main strings.
* My racquet is the Youtek Prestige Pro (16 x 19), with about 5 grams of lead distributed evenly between 3 and 9 o’clock, for a total strung weight of 340 grams and about 6 points HL.
* Power.
The string had nice power without overdoing it.
* Feel
It seemed to have more depth than most multifilaments, with great comfort and dwell time off the ground. The sweetspot was expanded and forgiving. I had trouble sticking volleys, however.
* Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension)
After hitting groundies for one session and a set of doubles, I had to cut this string out, so I don’t have any long term tension information. In the time I played it, however, it did not seem to lose any tension.
* Overall comments and feedback
The string color is shades of brown and tan, with obvious twisting of whatever fibers make up this string. The surface is textured, but without any sharp edges. It is a multi-filament of unknown materials. It appears to be in the 16 gauge size range. I usually play with thinner gauge strings, but I was pleasantly surprised by the grip for spin these strings provided on groundstrokes. On groundstrokes, it was easy to get the groove, but for return of serve and volleys, this string had too much trampoline for me. Serving was not ideal, but I am sure a little more time with the string would have brought the fine tuning needed to serve well consistently.
Bottom line: interesting and very comfortable, but I would not buy it or recommend it.

After reading some other reviews, I thought I'd mention that I played gut for over 10 years before finding a poly that was comfortable. So I know gut and this string is not like gut.

Uvijek Argen
12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_NVY_16_String/descpageACBAB-BNV16.html

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hek9xk.jpg

flashfire276
12-17-2010, 10:13 PM

A synthetic string made by Babolat with IMS Technology (integrated micro spheres). Supposably, the IMS prevents premature notching that can lead to strings breaking, even though they still have plenty of life left.
On top of that, N.VY is probably one of the best synthetics in my opinion. Very soft, easy on the arm, nice crisp feel, and actually a bit more durable than other synthetics! Really good stuff!

flashfire276
12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
That's a valid point about those coming over from the poly world. The string was like a typical multi for me on my crank machine. I'm sure you notice it much more on a drop weight. It's nowhere near as stretchy as the Mantis Comfort Synthetic that I use. That first pull with the Mantis I have to use almost the entire length that my crank will travel.

Exactly what I was thinking.
For people like you that deal with super soft and stretch strings, this blindtest string is probably no surprise to you because you're so used to prestretching so much.
As for people that usually play with basic synthetics and polys, of course prestretching is going to be crazy because they haven't done it so much.

So from what JRstriker12 was saying, we still get a valid balance and response of what kind of string it is.

BreakPoint
12-17-2010, 11:22 PM
A synthetic string made by Babolat with IMS Technology (integrated micro spheres). Supposably, the IMS prevents premature notching that can lead to strings breaking, even though they still have plenty of life left.
On top of that, N.VY is probably one of the best synthetics in my opinion. Very soft, easy on the arm, nice crisp feel, and actually a bit more durable than other synthetics! Really good stuff!
Thanks. But does anyone know what "N.VY" means or stands for? Is it an abbreviation for something? I assume it's not "NAVY". :) LOL

Bud
12-18-2010, 04:00 AM
After reading some other reviews, I thought I'd mention that I played gut for over 10 years before finding a poly that was comfortable. So I know gut and this string is not like gut.

You played gut for 10 years before finding a poly that was comfortable? There are so many things wrong with that sentence!

Bud
12-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks. But does anyone know what "N.VY" means or stands for? Is it an abbreviation for something? I assume it's not "NAVY". :) LOL

Envy, perhaps? :confused:

Larrysümmers
12-18-2010, 04:50 AM
Tension it is strung: 60lbs
Your regular string set up: gosen polylon&forten nylon @ 55lbs
String pattern of your racquet: 16*19
Power (or lack there of): i couldnt get that much power on my shots, but i was also hitting homerunus with it. it seemed like id either hit it in front of the service box or kill it. i couldnt ever get that nice shot, or a decent rally ball
Feel: pretty good slices and balls at the net. i think thats where the string was best at. but i couldnt get a deep penetrating slice which is a big part of my game.
Tension maintenance: it was decent i could feel tension decrease around the 3 hour mark or so of playing. 2 hours one day and one hour the next
Overall comments and feedback. i think it is a really low powered string that would go great in a cross with natty gut. or if you are a BIG hitter this maybe for you. this reminded me of a low powered poly, but softer and less spin. if i used it again i think i would go down to 55lbs next time.

LPShanet
12-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I've been using real soft multis. Don't even bother with the RSI on Mantis Comfort. At 175 it feels like 125.

True. I hit with the Mantis recently. For what it's worth, I think Mantis has a really interesting string on their hands, and it makes me want to try their other offerings, too. They're also doing a good job of clearly positioning their line in a way anyone can understand.

For the sake of those following the thread, though, an objectively stiff multi would probably be in the low to mid 200's. Because you're referencing a really unusually soft multi, it may have been misleading.

BreakPoint
12-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Envy, perhaps? :confused:
Hmmm....good guess! But why the period between the "N" and the "V"? :confused:

mikeler
12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
True. I hit with the Mantis recently. For what it's worth, I think Mantis has a really interesting string on their hands, and it makes me want to try their other offerings, too. They're also doing a good job of clearly positioning their line in a way anyone can understand.

For the sake of those following the thread, though, an objectively stiff multi would probably be in the low to mid 200's. Because you're referencing a really unusually soft multi, it may have been misleading.

It seems like once you get around 210 or so that is where the synthetic guts start to show up in the RSI list. So yeah, RIP could be considered a mid grade stiff multi. It feels stiffer than its nylon counterparts at the same RSI measurements.

BobFL
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM

C'mon BP, are you serious? :D

volleynets
12-18-2010, 11:53 AM
*I have used full poly or poly as mains in a hybrid for the last 3-4 years so this string is a big change*

•Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set)
57 lbs Full Set
•Your regular string set up
52 lbs. Luxilon Adrenaline 16L

•String pattern of your racquet
16*19

•Power (or lack there of)
Coming from a full bed of poly, I instantly noticed the drop in power. From what I remember about Synthetic Gut/Multi type of strings though, they should have plenty of pop still but I was just not feeling it with this string. I could still hit the ball hard but I expected to put much more spin on the ball with this string. Volleys were nice however. Not better than with my usual setup though.

•Feel The feel took long to get used to. Routine forehand and backhand dropshots that I can hit every time with my racket floated into the bottom of the net. I had to underspin the ball and push forward more through the shot to get the dropshots over the net which made them look too obvious and readable by the opponent.

•Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension)
From what I remember about synthetic guts, they would hold tension but slide around like crazy on the mains. This string held itself in place pretty well and the tension definitely did not decrease significantly over a few days of hitting. I did see the string start to fray but this is definitely one of the more durable multi/synthetics.

•Overall comments and feedbackOverall, I did not like the string too much and just wanted to go back to my full Luxilon stringbed. However, this string would be good for people who like the feel of multi/synthetics and want a more durable string. It was nice and smooth to string (maybe because the last stringjob I did was Spiky Shark) and it stretches more than any string I have strung. However, I just lost pop on my serve, and lost accuracy of drop shots, and overall had a weaker forehand and backhand with this string. This might be due to coming from a full poly string so unfortunately I can't compare this string to others of the same type.

mikeler
12-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Played horrible again today with this string for 1.5 sets. Nothing about this string fits my game.

SteveI
12-18-2010, 12:19 PM
SteveI's Results:

Thanks TW... had a blast!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5246970#post5246970

SteveI
12-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Played horrible again today with this string for 1.5 sets. Nothing about this string fits my game.

Hey Mike,

Just posted my results. Take a look... Thanks for all your work on these low end multis.

mikeler
12-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey Mike,

Just posted my results. Take a look... Thanks for all your work on these low end multis.

It's good to see more of the reviews matching mine! Just bought a set of Dunlop Hexy, that might be the next review I post.

SteveI
12-18-2010, 12:41 PM
It's good to see more of the reviews matching mine! Just bought a set of Dunlop Hexy, that might be the next review I post.

It might be possible that there are two versions of this string being tested or at least to different guages. We will have to wait and see! The stringing experiences are just so different in many cases.

mikeler
12-18-2010, 01:51 PM
It might be possible that there are two versions of this string being tested or at least to different guages. We will have to wait and see! The stringing experiences are just so different in many cases.

I am starting to think you may be correct.

flashfire276
12-18-2010, 03:24 PM

So it can sound cool! That's about it!

flashfire276
12-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I am starting to think you may be correct.

There's too many mixed reviews on this string. There has to be a reason why.

Bud
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I plan on giving a full review after I have a chance to play 6-7 more hours with the string. All my tennis days lately have been rained out, including this weekend when I should have had 10 total hours of playing with the string :-x

TW Admin, when are the reviews due?

flashfire276
12-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I plan on giving a full review after I have a chance to play 6-7 more hours with the string. All my tennis days lately have been rained out, including this weekend when I should have had 10 total hours of playing with the string :-x

What the heck is wrong with SoCal Bud?? It was super hot last week, and now it's pouring. -___-

On the email, they said 1 month to put up reviews. So I'm estimating early January by the latest.

Bud
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
What the heck is wrong with SoCal Bud?? It was super hot last week, and now it's pouring. -___-

On the email, they said 1 month to put up reviews. So I'm estimating early January by the latest.

Excellent. That will give me a couple more weeks to put some decent mileage on it.

mikeler
12-18-2010, 04:39 PM

I would be curious to hear your first impressions.

The Big Kahuna
12-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Sounds and looks like the MANTIS COMFORT multifilament.

nvottennis
12-18-2010, 04:42 PM

It's been snowing on the east coast... How do you manage to still play outside!!?!??! lol

flashfire276
12-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Tell that to Mikeler....

Bud
12-19-2010, 03:17 AM
I would be curious to hear your first impressions.

I posted first impressions earlier (below) :)

Finally had a chance to spend a couple hours today with the string :smile:

Impressions thus far:

► String is very comfortable and crisp, almost gut-like
► String isn't mushy (which is an issue I have with many MF's)
► Moderate string movement but they slide back in place very easily
► Feels pretty powerful

So far, I really like it.

It's been snowing on the east coast... How do you manage to still play outside!!?!??! lol

We had a heat wave right before these recent storms. It was 90+ degrees a few days ago (a bunch of heat records fell) :shock: ... Too bad it didn't coincide with my normal tennis days.

SteveI
12-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Tell that to Mikeler....

Wow.. the Test String and the Mantis Comfort Syn are nothing alike. I just strung a frame with the MCS.. and hit for a few hours. Not even close. At least the version/guage of the Test String I have. I had to do multiple pulls on the MCS while stringing.. and this string is really soft and pockets the ball like a dream. I have only a few hours on the MCS.

Bud
12-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Wow.. the Test String and the Mantis Comfort Syn are nothing alike. I just strung a frame with the MCS.. and hit for a few hours. Not even close. At least the version/guage of the Test String I have. I had to do multiple pulls on the MCS while stringing.. and this string is really soft and pockets the ball like a dream. I have only a few hours on the MCS.

Is there a review or thread somewhere for Mantis Comfort?

SteveI
12-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Is there a review or thread somewhere for Mantis Comfort?

Bud,

Mike has that great thread with all of his impressions of the lower end multis. In there he really explores the string (his go to string now) and there is also a another user hybriding Head Rip Control with MCS. Great stuff.. lots of insights. Enjoy the read!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

Steve

mikeler
12-19-2010, 05:00 AM

Not even close in any regard. Color, texture, softness, spin, power and feel are way different.

scotus
12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
scotus' review

Initial impression prior to stringing

As mentioned before, when I opened up the envelope, I honestly thought that I had received a set of natural gut from TW. The coating is light brown (or dark natural, whatever you prefer) with a slightly greenish hue, reminiscent of some gut I have tried before (possibly Pacific Classic?). It is fairly thick. I would guess that it is either 16 or 15L gauge. It is identical in appearance with the string in Bud's pictures.

Out of curiosity, I cut off an inch from the end of the string, exposed the inside material, and immersed it in water overnight. It did not quite look like gut but when I pulled on it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, the inside material crushed into multiple fibers, leading me to conclude that it is at least a multifilament string.

When I started handling the string, I soon gave up on the idea that it could be gut. Why? Those of you who have personally strung natural gut know how easy it is for natural gut to kink. This mystery string, however, is absolutely kink-proof. I could not get it to kink at all even when I tried.

Setup

My usual setup has natural gut in the mains (usually VS Team or Touch). For drills and practice, I tend to use full gut or gut/multi hybrid, and for match play, I use gut mains and poly crosses.

For the mystery string, I put it in the mains at 70 lbs (I usually use VS at 72-73 lbs) and crossed it with Head Rip Control, one of my favorite multis at 67 lbs.

My frame is ProKennex 7G (27.5 inches long, weighted up to 12.7 oz strung) with 16 X 20 string pattern.

Stringing

Although the string stretched very little when I prestretched it by hand, it stretched a lot once on the machine (Stringway MS200 constant-pull foot-operated machine). It did stretch as much as soft multis and natural gut, forcing me to pull 2-3 times each.

Although the coating was slick, there was no slippage. And as I mentioned, not a slightest hint of kinking. Overall, very easy to string (besides having to pull extra), easy on the fingers.

Playtest

I have had a total of 3 hits with this string. About 5 hours of doubles and 1-1/2 hours of drills with my coach (This drill is roughly equivalent to about 5-6 hours of doubles in terms of string usage).

FEEL:
The mystery string offers a rare combination of soft and crisp feel. That is, it is not soft and mushy like Gamma Professional 18, which I do not like at all. Nor is it crisp and stiff like some polys.

I would describe the string as quite comfortable, especially when crossed with another arm-friendly string like Rip Control. Since I use high tensions, I suppose it would be even more comfortable to most other users.

The string had enough feel to work very well on touch volleys and drop shots. As a long-time gut hybrid user, the feel is familiar, and it is something that I truly like about this string.

POWER:
The string packs quite a bit of power. Although lacking the explosiveness of VS, its power was more than adequate. And that's saying a lot, since it was crossed with Rip Control which is very good at taming the power of my gut mains.

SPIN:
This is another department where the mystery string shines. Although it did not have the WOW factor of some of the poly strings, it certainly did not lack in the spin department. Whether I was going for American Twist or a heavy and high topspin forehand to pull my opponent off the court, I did not feel that I was lacking in spin and had solid control over the ball.

TENSION MAINTENANCE:
At the end of the 3rd trial (spread over 1-1/2 weeks), I still felt that the tension was good enough that I could go for another hitting session. Unfortunately, it has been raining heavily in my area and I will not be able to hit again for some time.

OVERALL COMMENT:
I would be curious to know exactly what this mystery string is. It is a solid performer in every category, and I would most likely order the thinner gauge of this string and test it out.

I would like to thank TW for picking me to participate in this blind test. When I string up the other half of the string, I will be sure to come back and leave more feedback.

cghipp
12-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I just received this string on Saturday, so I'll try to get it strung on Tuesday. Most of my "usual suspects" are taking the week off from tennis because of the holidays (and the weather has been pretty awful here anyway), but I'll get my review in ASAP. I'll be comparing it to Wilson Sensation 18g strung at 58, or (if I get both racquets restrung) the 17g at 60.

mikeler
12-20-2010, 05:48 AM
scotus' review

As mentioned before, when I opened up the envelope, I honestly thought that I had received a set of natural gut from TW. The coating is light brown (or dark natural, whatever you prefer) with a slightly greenish hue, reminiscent of some gut I have tried before (possibly Pacific Classic?). It is fairly thick. I would guess that it is either 16 or 15L gauge. It is identical in appearance with the string in Bud's pictures.

Out of curiosity, I cut off an inch from the end of the string, exposed the inside material, and immersed it in water overnight. It did not quite look like gut but when I pulled on it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, the inside material crushed into multiple fibers, leading me to conclude that it is at least a multifilament string.

When I started handling the string, I soon gave up on the idea that it could be gut. Why? Those of you who have personally strung natural gut know how easy it is for natural gut to kink. This mystery string, however, is absolutely kink-proof. I could not get it to kink at all even when I tried.

Setup

My usual setup has natural gut in the mains (usually VS Team or Touch). For drills and practice, I tend to use full gut or gut/multi hybrid, and for match play, I use gut mains and poly crosses.

For the mystery string, I put it in the mains at 70 lbs (I usually use VS at 72-73 lbs) and crossed it with Head Rip Control, one of my favorite multis at 67 lbs.

My frame is ProKennex 7G (27.5 inches long, weighted up to 12.7 oz strung) with 16 X 20 string pattern.

Stringing

Although the string stretched very little when I prestretched it by hand, it stretched a lot once on the machine (Stringway MS200 constant-pull foot-operated machine). It did stretch as much as soft multis and natural gut, forcing me to pull 2-3 times each.

Although the coating was slick, there was no slippage. And as I mentioned, not a slightest hint of kinking. Overall, very easy to string (besides having to pull extra), easy on the fingers.

Playtest

I have had a total of 3 hits with this string. About 5 hours of doubles and 1-1/2 hours of drills with my coach (This drill is roughly equivalent to about 5-6 hours of doubles in terms of string usage).

FEEL:
The mystery string offers a rare combination of soft and crisp feel. That is, it is not soft and mushy like Gamma Professional 18, which I do not like at all. Nor is it crisp and stiff like some polys.

I would describe the string as quite comfortable, especially when crossed with another arm-friendly string like Rip Control. Since I use high tensions, I suppose it would be even more comfortable to most other users.

The string had enough feel to work very well on touch volleys and drop shots. As a long-time gut hybrid user, the feel is familiar, and it is something that I truly like about this string.

POWER:
The string packs quite a bit of power. Although lacking the explosiveness of VS, its power was more than adequate. And that's saying a lot, since it was crossed with Rip Control which is very good at taming the power of my gut mains.

SPIN:
This is another department where the mystery string shines. Although it did not have the WOW factor of some of the poly strings, it certainly did not lack in the spin department. Whether I was going for American Twist or a heavy and high topspin forehand to pull my opponent off the court, I did not feel that I was lacking in spin and had solid control over the ball.

TENSION MAINTENANCE:
At the end of the 3rd trial (spread over 1-1/2 weeks), I still felt that the tension was good enough that I could go for another hitting session. Unfortunately, it has been raining heavily in my area and I will not be able to hit again for some time.

OVERALL COMMENT:
I would be curious to know exactly what this mystery string is. It is a solid performer in every category, and I would most likely order the thinner gauge of this string and test it out.

I would like to thank TW for picking me to participate in this blind test. When I string up the other half of the string, I will be sure to come back and leave more feedback.

Now I'm completely convinced TW sent out 2 different strings. C'mon TW, fess up.

flashfire276
12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
scotus' review

Setup

Stringing

Playtest

FEEL:

POWER:

SPIN:

TENSION MAINTENANCE:

OVERALL COMMENT:

So from a guy that plays with VS Gut strings, how would this mystery string compare to it?

scotus
12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
So from a guy that plays with VS Gut strings, how would this mystery string compare to it?

VS is better in every category, of course. But this mystery string comes close.

In fact, I like the mystery string better than most multis I have tried. As I mentioned above, I like this a lot better than Gamma Professional. I am fairly sure I like it better than Xcel Power. I would have to try a side-by-side test, but there is a strong chance I may prefer this to X-One.

If this string turns out to be $10 or less, we've got a winner. But I am the sort of person who would pay $20 extra for a 20% increase in performance, so I doubt I would move away from VS.

Bud
12-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Now I'm completely convinced TW sent out 2 different strings. C'mon TW, fess up.

Scotus' view of the string is very similar to mine as well. This is definitely strange.

JRstriker12
12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Day 4 Play Test:

-6 hours of play

Played about 3 sets of doubles tonight. Not a lot to add at this point. Seems to be holding tension fairly well. Coming out of the cold and starting to hit, it felt "poly" stiff, but after that, it seemed to soften a bit.

Durability is better an expected though I am seeing one spot at the center of the string-bed where the outer wrapper has totally worn off. See picts - sorry for the quality, they are from my cell phone.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg120/jrstriker12/TW%20Playtest/CIMG0404.jpg

mikeler
12-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Scotus' view of the string is very similar to mine as well. This is definitely strange.

I know BobFL also uses polys, so his case is not like mine where I use only full multi jobs. Half of the reviews directly contradict the other half. You would think half might say this string had average power and the other half would say it had good/bad power. It just seems like people think it is one extreme or another. :confused:

SteveI
12-21-2010, 06:17 AM
I know BobFL also uses polys, so his case is not like mine where I use only full multi jobs. Half of the reviews directly contradict the other half. You would think half might say this string had average power and the other half would say it had good/bad power. It just seems like people think it is one extreme or another. :confused:

Hey Mike,

One of the reason I strung my sample few pounds lower was my reaction to the hand pre-stretch and just bending the string in half. It felt like Gosen ProForm Tuff 16 regarding those quick tests. I have been stringing Head Rip Control @ 62/59..so I went a bit lower on the test sample. I like to use a somewhat lower-power string.. thus the ProForm Tuff 16 and Head Rip Control 17. The only frame I had strung at the time had Head PPS 16 installed (sort of a PSGD clone..a bit more pop) to compare with the test sample. I can say that the test sample was the lowest powered string of all of them.. maybe equal to the ProForm Tuff 16.

The order would have been:

Head PPS 16
Head Rip Control
Gosen ProForm Tuff 16 - Test Sample

I think the string in general played very muted and with the lowest power for a multi I have ever played with. I tested TF X-1 17 this summer.. and the test sample is the other end of the spectrum. I have played most the major multis out there.

The playtest results have been quite extreme.

BobFL
12-21-2010, 10:16 AM

I playtested my mystery string for additional 3 hours in the last 3 days and I can confirm my initial findings. The tension maintenance appears to be excellent.
I would like to thank TW Authorities for giving me this great opportunity for the first time and hopefully not the last! :)

mikeler
12-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I playtested my mystery string for additional 3 hours in the last 3 days and I can confirm my initial findings. The tension maintenance appears to be excellent.
I would like to thank TW Authorities for giving me this great opportunity for the first time and hopefully not the last! :)

+1 for the opportunity.

djNEiGht
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
+1 for the opportunity.

same here.
alas...when i got my string i was busy concentrating on finals and now the rain has been non stop. I know that TW has requested reviews to be in a month after product has been received. I got mine on the 16th.

Bud
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
same here.
alas...when i got my string i was busy concentrating on finals and now the rain has been non stop. I know that TW has requested reviews to be in a month after product has been received. I got mine on the 16th.

The rain is horrendous... we have flooding all over the county with the locals mountains receiving up to 15" of rain.

It has been non stop for the last 2 1/2 days :|

coachrick
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
The rain is horrendous... we have flooding all over the county with the locals mountains receiving up to 15" of rain.

It has been non stop for the last 2 1/2 days :|

Sorry 'bout that. It was 82 here today and we haven't had a half-inch of rain since early September(Of course, it rained 13 inches on that last event! ;) ) .

Windy as all getout, however. Hoping tomorrow will be calm...70 degrees predicted.

kinsella
12-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Bud:

I don't blame you for being confused by my statement. I was a gut guy for years, but so many people were raving about Poly that I thought I would take another look. When I first tried poly years before, it was ugly and stiff, but not as ugly and stiff as Kevlar. Some Co-polies solved the stiff problem, but retained the interesting control polies offer. Signum Pure Pro Poly Plasma ("SP4") also held its tension very well. This lead to using 18 gauge string and never worrying about breaking a string or getting a different set up for playing on clay (one set on damp clay and kiss that gut good bye). Also, I live in humid St. Louis (I know Houston and NO are worse, but this is humid).

That is the long version of my "quoted" comment. Poly is not and never will approach the depth and complexity of gut, but it has offsetting benefits that suit my game. If I were a billionaire, gut would be in all my sticks. I have no interest in influencing the choices of others, just finding that perfect fit for me and my budget.

Thanks for reading.

JRstriker12
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Play Test Day 5
7.5 hours

Waiting for the one worn cross to break. Still plays and feels pretty good IMHO.

pyrokid
12-21-2010, 09:03 PM
I strung it up.

Haven't hit with it yet, but wow was it a pain to string. Worse than Gut, IMO.
Crosses went easily I guess though.

Fed Kennedy
12-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I have also not been able to test the string due to the putrid weather in California...apologies...I will get it going as soon as it stops raining!

themitchmann
12-22-2010, 03:54 AM
After around 10 hours, the strings are worn to the core. Looks like they should break soon.

coachrick
12-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Just got my set on Saturday, strung it Monday, hope to hit today. Pretty stiff, multi-ish feeling, slight texture with a thin spiral of a lighter shade wrapped around the 'natural' colored string. Felt like PSGD(or even Topspin) while stringing(anybody remember Prince Syn Gut Duraflex?), just a little stiffer. Stretched like a multi-syn or standard syn while pulling(constant pull MS200tt).

I haven't read the whole thread...looks like 2 ? different samples are being discussed. I didn't want to 'pre-load' my opinion of the string, so I'll wait until I hit it to read the responses.

Stay tuned. :)

pyrokid
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Okay, well I ended up stringing it as a hybrid with natty gut mains in my i.radical, because I have another freshly strung i.radical with the same set up except for a poly in the crosses.
I would have strung it in the mains, but... my clamps just couldn't grip it without tightening them an obscene amount. It was crazy.

Initial thoughts are that I wouldn't really like it as a main anyway, and it as a cross allows for some really low friction between the mains and crosses because it's so slippery. So the spin I'm getting is near the level I'm getting with the one strung with poly.
Power... I dunno. Nothing special. About the same as poly, honestly.
The feeling in the two stringbeds was pretty different, though. Much more 'crisp' in the one with poly. Not as much feel, but more crisp.
The one with the sample in it was a little mushy, even at 62 lbs, and as others have said, muted.
Control was surprisingly easier with the poly.

More impressions will come later.
Also keep in mind that this set up is completely different than what I normally use. kevlar/poly hybrid in the 40s feels a lot different than a guy/syn gut hybrid in the 60s. But the reason I decided to up the tension is that I just did not see myself being able to control it at all at the tensions I usually play with, and the kevlar would probably shear it very quickly.

JRProstaf9
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Sorry for the late response... Received my pack of string about a week ago but and was able to string up a frame and get some quality playing time in this weekend. Details below:

First glance - String had a "natural" look to it and at first thought it might be some general synthetic, but upon closer look I noticed their might be more to it after noticing the multi-filament braid. Also noted the texture of the string was very noticeable as were the ridges woven into the top layer (similar to the old prince topspin string). I also noted the texture of the string to be a bit course as compared to most other strings on the market, this led me to think this had some good potential for added spin production!

Tension it is strung - 63lbs with a 2 piece set up to isolate mains from crosses

Your regular string set up - Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 or 17G(mains) @ 58lbs, Babolat xcel or Gamma Fat Core 17g (crosses) @ 63 lbs

String pattern of your racquet - Wilson Pro staff KSix-one team 18 x 20

Power (or lack there of) - Noticed generally good power from the sweet spot on many rally shots. Noted the "controlled power" when taking bigger cuts at the ball on the forehand and serves.

Feel - Right off the first forehand I noticed how comfortable the strings were. Normally stringing at 63lbs I do feel a bit of the stiffness which eventually settles into a comfortable zone... however these strings right away felt great. I witnessed good spin off my ground strokes and found it easy to apply more or less spin when shot called for it. Strings were equally comfortable and even more effective on the backhand slice and on volleys. Started receiving great feedback/response from the strings on the short punches and slices and saw great results on both sides when applying underspin or attempting touch shots.

Tension maintenance - Strung the racket first thing in the morning before I went to play for 2 hours on Saturday and did not notice any loss between completion of string job and warm ups. Strings seemed to "settle" a bit soon after playing for about 45 mins but overall tension didn't change. After 2 hours of play the strings themselves seemed to soften a bit however did not witness much loss of tension. I played again on Sunday morning for 2 more hours and after leaving my racket bag (Wilson Super-six tour bag w/ thermo guard) in the trunk of my car for the evening (yes a huge no no), I did not notice any loss in tension from the day before. However the strings did feel as if they softened/settled a bit more however this did not seem to affect

the overall tension of the strings. After playing for 4 hours over the course of two days the strings still felt great and offered great playabilty!

Overall comments and feedback - Overall I was very impressed with the string. Even stringing at 63lbs for tension I found not only a responsive string but a very comfortable one as well, my arm didn't hurt one bit, even a day or two afterwards! Great playability with good spin production (possibly added effect from the ridges in the string). Strings definitely held tension well with the only change noticed was the "soft" feeling I got once the strings settled after stringing and in the first 20 mins of hitting. Reminded me of natural gut when you don't stretch the string before hand. I Would recommend this string for players looking for all around playability with some added spin. Not sure how string would be durability wise as it seems to have same texture as gamma live wire or Wilson NXT so my thoughts that string may start to fray and snap with frequent play. Good candidate for hybrid stringing with poly in the mains perhaps

Thanks again TW for letting me join in on the playtest!

Cheers,
- JR

Bud
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Sorry for the late response... Received my pack of string about a week ago but and was able to string up a frame and get some quality playing time in this weekend. Details below:

First glance - String had a "natural" look to it and at first thought it might be some general synthetic, but upon closer look I noticed their might be more to it after noticing the multi-filament braid. Also noted the texture of the string was very noticeable as were the ridges woven into the top layer (similar to the old prince topspin string). I also noted the texture of the string to be a bit course as compared to most other strings on the market, this led me to think this had some good potential for added spin production!

Tension it is strung - 63lbs with a 2 piece set up to isolate mains from crosses

Your regular string set up - Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 or 17G(mains) @ 58lbs, Babolat xcel or Gamma Fat Core 17g (crosses) @ 63 lbs

String pattern of your racquet - Wilson Pro staff KSix-one team 18 x 20

Power (or lack there of) - Noticed generally good power from the sweet spot on many rally shots. Noted the "controlled power" when taking bigger cuts at the ball on the forehand and serves.

Feel - Right off the first forehand I noticed how comfortable the strings were. Normally stringing at 63lbs I do feel a bit of the stiffness which eventually settles into a comfortable zone... however these strings right away felt great. I witnessed good spin off my ground strokes and found it easy to apply more or less spin when shot called for it. Strings were equally comfortable and even more effective on the backhand slice and on volleys. Started receiving great feedback/response from the strings on the short punches and slices and saw great results on both sides when applying underspin or attempting touch shots.

Tension maintenance - Strung the racket first thing in the morning before I went to play for 2 hours on Saturday and did not notice any loss between completion of string job and warm ups. Strings seemed to "settle" a bit soon after playing for about 45 mins but overall tension didn't change. After 2 hours of play the strings themselves seemed to soften a bit however did not witness much loss of tension. I played again on Sunday morning for 2 more hours and after leaving my racket bag (Wilson Super-six tour bag w/ thermo guard) in the trunk of my car for the evening (yes a huge no no), I did not notice any loss in tension from the day before. However the strings did feel as if they softened/settled a bit more however this did not seem to affect

the overall tension of the strings. After playing for 4 hours over the course of two days the strings still felt great and offered great playabilty!

Overall comments and feedback - Overall I was very impressed with the string. Even stringing at 63lbs for tension I found not only a responsive string but a very comfortable one as well, my arm didn't hurt one bit, even a day or two afterwards! Great playability with good spin production (possibly added effect from the ridges in the string). Strings definitely held tension well with the only change noticed was the "soft" feeling I got once the strings settled after stringing and in the first 20 mins of hitting. Reminded me of natural gut when you don't stretch the string before hand. I Would recommend this string for players looking for all around playability with some added spin. Not sure how string would be durability wise as it seems to have same texture as gamma live wire or Wilson NXT so my thoughts that string may start to fray and snap with frequent play. Good candidate for hybrid stringing with poly in the mains perhaps

Thanks again TW for letting me join in on the playtest!

Cheers,
- JR

Again, very similar to my experience.

Did you notice an inordinate amount of stretch when stringing?

bad_call
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Test string setup: unnamed multi/Gosen OGSM 17 at 49/52

Current string setup: WC Turbotwist 1.24/Gosen OGSM 17 at 47/50

String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20 (MG Prestige Pro)

String required multiple tension adjustments in a drop weight machine. Very stretchy to the point of annoyance.

Power (or lack there of): Good power at strung tension

Feel: Somewhat low but more than most polys tried.

Tension maintenance: No obvious tension drop in 2+ hours of hitting. The string is playing better after break-in.

Overall comments and feedback:

Took a bit of adjustment getting used to the lack of pop as compared to current poly hybrid. Recognizing that particular aspect, control is very good.

Ground strokes had good depth and accuracy. Angled shots dropped in with surprising predictability. Volley placement is quite good with early preparation (go to the ball). Drop shots were excellent as the ball died (little bounce) falling over the net. Definitely miss the touch control that polys have yet to give this player.

Serves: Can't comment since this player is revising the serve in the hope that the recent nagging shoulder/back pain diminishes. Maybe have to accept old age aches and pains.

Conclusion: This string gives back what one puts into it. Not a ball bashing string but an all court string that rewards capable shotmaking. Of the opinion that this comfortable string could be addictive.

TW - thanks for the playtest. Appreciate knowing when you'll be carrying this one.
************************************************** ************************************************** *
Added comments: With more practice and match time (2+ hrs) the string is very good for rally practice. Good and not so good technique are exposed. However with match play and being stretched wide, the lack of pop resulted in occasional net balls. Not a good thing when each point counts.

Geoff
12-23-2010, 03:29 PM
•Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set)
Strung as full set @ 21kg (46.2 lbs.)

•Your regular string set up
Wilson Natural Gut (17 gauge) Mains @ 21kg
Luxilon ALU Power Rough Crosses @ 21 kg
Power Pads
String Savers

•String pattern of your racquet
16 x 19

•Power (or lack there of)
I felt the string had adequate power. The power was less than my normal set up, but only marginally. I felt less power mostly when serving.

•Feel
Feel was less than my normal set up as to be expected. The ball never flew off the racket unexpectedly. Drop shots suffered a bit. Accuracy was quite good with all shots.

•Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension)
Initially the test string felt a bit board like, but I attribute that to the adjustment away from my normal set up. I like to playtest strings and frames with my co-hort BHBH, but generally speaking I am a student of Sameness. I have played with the test string the last four times on court and feel that the tension maintenance is quite good (but I like looser racquets!)

•Overall comments and feedback
This string was quite easy to string with and reminds me of stringing and playability similar to Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex. I experienced a moderate amount of string movement especially during extended baseline rallies. The string had good bite especially off the ground. I was a big fan of the original Prince Synthetic Gut when I played with the POG OS. I think fans of this family or type of strings will enjoy playing with the test string. I will however be staying with my normal set up. I appreciate the opportunity to have play tested this string. I appreciate and have enjoyed all of the feedback from other play testers on these boards.

Topaz
12-23-2010, 04:39 PM
^^^really, you liken it to psgd? That's good news for me...will have my first hit with the mystery string Monday.

ryushen21
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
TW Admins,

I will not be able to test this string as I had planned in the time allotted due to injury. My doctor has told me that the earliest I will be able to pick up and swing a racquet is mid to late January. I appreciate the opportunity and will test and post my thoughts if the stickied thread is still open.

JRstriker12
12-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Final Playtest: Day 6 (String Broke)

String broke at a cross in the center of the racket after 8 hours of play. Too bad because I really liked it. Felt good tonight before it broke.

I'm wondering if the coating on the cross string got nicked or scratched in stringing as the rest of the string bed showed moderate wear. I guess 8 hours of play isn't too shabby for what appears to be a multi.Probably would have lasted much longer if I used string savers as I usually do with MT 17.

Final thoughts: A good string for players looking for a good mix of power, control, and comfort. In my opinion, the power is there if you make a clean strike, but it gives a crisp controlled response without being harsh.

Feel is decent, but a bit muted. Players looking for more touch may find it too stiff with not a lot of feedback.

Spin is average, good for players with a flat to moderate top spin game.

Durability seems decent. See my comment above about breakage, but it probably won't last long for players with huge top-spin games. The string moves a bit, but much less than my MT 17 set-up (with string savers).

I'd consider buying this string and switching from Maxium Touch if it has a low to moderate price.

BTW- Thanks Tennis Warehouse for letting me play-test this string. I enjoyed the opportunity!

brownbearfalling
12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Tension it is strung: Strung at 63lbs on open pattern hps 6.1 standard. I normally play with blx 95 18x20 strung with silver string 1.20 gauge at 54/50lbs or sometimes 56/52lbs. The string was strung on a crank machine.

String pattern of your racquet: 16x18 but normally 18x20

Power (or lack there of):
power was the best attribute to this string or at least it is the only thing that sets it apart from every other string on the market. I don't think it is any better than syn guts like psgd or gosen og sheep micro. But it does have some spring to it like Prince lightning or Gamma live wire. Just not as much. I think this is due to the the elasticity of this string. As others have stated, this string stretches quite a bit. As synthetic guts go, this playtest string doesn't have as much pop as my regular set up of full poly.

Feel:
I didn't get too much feel from this string. This string is rather crisp. As the string wears the crackle when you are moving the strings around is as much as psgd and gosen og micro. This string does not have the softness and feel of nxt, or x1 biphase. And since it has the slight spring to it, I didn't feel that this string had that much touch. I think gosen og micro has a bit more touch.

Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension):
After an hour and a half of play the string is holding up rather well. The notching has not gone through the outer coating of the string. As I've seen in photos, the string has a multifiliament core and I haven't seen it yet. For me the notching is about 1/3 of the strings thickness.

Spin:
While stringing this string, I felt that there was quite a bit of texture to it. It doesn't have ridges but it has texture like Prince topspin. It is probably due to the ribbion that is wounded around the string. Anyway, the spin wasn't like texture poly that I'm used to trying out but I would say it was rather good. The texture of the string's coating gives a little grip and the texture of the construction of the string gives the string bed a little roughness.

Overall comments and feedback:

So I just strung up the string. Initial impressions:
This string definitely has texture to it. Although it is decreased a bit when the string is stretched out, it is still there. The "ribbon" that is wound around the string reminds me of prince lightning. Hopefully it will add power to the string like power foil does.

I'm going to confirm that the string stretches quite a bit. About as much as gamma live wire strings. I'm hoping the string has spring to it.

All in all, imo, I don't think there is anything that distinguishes this string from other strings on the market today apart from it's color which isn't appealing to begin with. Psgd and Gosen og micro costs under $5 a set so this string might have a hard time entering the market. But then again I am used to playing with poly and I play tested it along with a poly string.

I am going to continue to play test this string next to Gosen og sheep micro white 17g strung in the same hps 6.1 16x18. But I don't think I will discover anything else.

pheonix6579
12-24-2010, 11:26 AM
* Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set): Full set @ 57

* Your regular string set up: Rebel 95: Solinco Revolution @ 52/ PSGD @ 57

* String pattern of your racquet: 18x20

* Spin: When I first opened the package I thought that the texture would give incredible top spin. However, the stretching really smoothed the string out. When hitting I found a decent amount of top spin, but wouldn't put it in with a spin friendly category. This was fine by me, since I am not a huge spinner anymore. I got enough spin when i wanted it and balls really flattened out when I needed them to as well.

* Power (or lack there of): At first after seeing that this was a multi I was expecting quite a bit of power based on my poly setup. Then after stinging it on my drop weight and it kept stretching like the energizer bunny, I thought that any trampoline effect might be stretched out. Power levels felt quite low on the first few hitting sessions/sets. It was really odd; I am used to seeing much more power from almost anything other than poly. Near the end of my playtest the strings power beefed up a bit, but never felt like a rocket launcher. I could usually swing out and not feel like I was going to push the balls long. The only down side to this was serving could have used the extra pop.

* Feel: My first hitting sessions the string felt a tad stiffer than the multis I have tried (which for me was a great relief). I really liked the stiff response that I got. However, towards the later parts of the string test the strings got a mushy feel to them, which I came to associate with multis. The strings also had a damped feel to them. I didn’t get to much feedback from my shots. Touch shots like drop shots and drop volleys were awkward and hard to gauge.

* Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension): From my experience that strings seemed to do really well with tension maintenance. Towards the end I could see a difference, but the process was very slow and tension loss was minimal and I didn’t really notice it till I picked up a freshly string frame and hit with that.

* Overall comments and feedback: I think overall I have neutral feelings about this string. Would not use it in a full setup again, however might be a good hybrid in a cross with a poly main. This would offer a slightly more comfortable option to a full poly setup. I did really enjoy the lack of power (except while serving), but the lack in overall feel really puts me off. The color (even though shouldn’t be a big deal…but is) is horrible, like a string colored with vomit. Stringing this string was relatively easy. Weaving was a breeze, but the crazy stretching was a bit annoying. I might consider trying out a couple more packs of this string to try various setups. Hopefully, it will come in various colors.

Thanks TW for letting me in on this fun opportunity, and hope we can do it again in the future

coachrick
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Just got my set on Saturday, strung it Monday, hope to hit today. Pretty stiff, multi-ish feeling, slight texture with a thin spiral of a lighter shade wrapped around the 'natural' colored string. Felt like PSGD(or even Topspin) while stringing(anybody remember Prince Syn Gut Duraflex?), just a little stiffer. Stretched like a multi-syn or standard syn while pulling(constant pull MS200tt).

I haven't read the whole thread...looks like 2 ? different samples are being discussed. I didn't want to 'pre-load' my opinion of the string, so I'll wait until I hit it to read the responses.

Stay tuned. :)

Just one hitting session so far(60-65 degrees F or so at the time)...

Strung @ 60# on MS200tt constant pull; no prestretch. No problems stringing, no slippage, no kinking, no excessive stretch. Knots cinched fine although the double half-hitch felt a little bulky on the 'second half'...holding fine. Used full set, one-piece in DNX 9(16 x 19 mid+).

Regular set up would include 17 or 18ga multis(eg. X-1, NRG, Premiere Softflex, PSG Multi) for hitting/teaching; hybrid with peek/kev mains 18 or 19ga with multi crosses for competitive play. Typical multi tension 58-60; hybrid 45# x 55-60#.

Spin was certainly adequate given the slightly thicker gauge. No problems on heavy shots, touch shots would have been better with a thinner gauge. Almost felt gut-like at the 'high' tension, given the way the ball felt cupped on hard spin shots.

Power was crisp multi-like, although muted somewhat. Again, a bit gut-like in this regard. Even had the crisp 'ping' on hard hit balls, again somewhat muted but lively for the tension.

Feel was as expected with the other multi-characteristics. Better feel on heavier balls but soft spins and drop shots were fine(again, the thinner gauge would have been more familiar).

Can't speak to tension maintenance except that after first 48 hrs resting, tension feels to be consistent for the first week. There was virtually no movement, even on hard groundstrokes(again, only one hitting session so far).

In general, I would certainly enjoy this string in a 17ga or hybrid with peek/kev mains and this string in a 17 or 18ga cross. It's also a string I would use in my wife's DNX 8 at a lower tension, again with a 17 or 18ga. She's a not-very-spinny low A hitter, certainly looking for feel and power, but not wanting a trampoline. :)

It's in a tough market for a new introduction and I don't feel it has 'exceptional' qualities that make it stand out from the crowd. As with any marketing, price and branding will be important to the success of this string, IMO. Again, I can't speak to durability(until the cool/wet! weather and holidays pass). I hope to give it another test on Sunday.

I was a USRSA string tester for a couple of years prior to moving to TX. It was fun to get back 'in the saddle' again. Thanks.

parasailing
12-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I finally got a chance to string and hit with this for four hours as the weather hasn't been cooperating in my area for the past month.

Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set): Full set @ 57lbs

Your regular string set up: Pure Storm Tour GT with Biphase X1 17 at 57lbs or Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber 17 at 57lbs.

String pattern of your racquet: 16x20

* Spin: This string was like others multis I have tried offering decent spin but nothing spectacular. Slices were really nice with this string setup.

* Power (or lack there of): This had good power and offer a nice pop sound when striking the ball. I was able to keep the balls in the court and really like the control I got with this string. I never felt that I had to put more spin on the ball to keep the ball in play.

* Feel: Right out of the gate, the string felt very soft and comfortable on the arm. Although it felt soft, it didn't feel mushy or muted. It almost feels like a gut string but not there yet. It provided enough feedback when hitting groundstrokes but net play was a different story. The strings didn't have that nice ball pocketing effect like X1 so volleying with this was average at best.

* Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension): After hitting for about 4 hours, the tension stayed about the same so it's up there with Kirschbaum Touch MultiFiber which is my preferred multi for tension stability.

* Overall comments and feedback: This is a very comfortable string that does many things well as long as you are not a serve and volley player. It is soft and comfortable on the arm and shoulder without feeling muted. It offers good power and decent spin, and I had no problems keeping the ball in play. Stringing was relatively easy as it didn't have the slippery coating and stretches like any other multifiliament. If this string sells for about $10 to $13 range, I would add this to my setup.

Thanks TW for sending me this string and letting me try it out. I hope to be part of future playtests.

pyrokid
12-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Okay, popped it today. I strung it as a hybrid in two racquets, but I'll only describe it as the one I strung it in the mains as because I got a much better feel of how it played.

I strung it at 50 pounds and the crosses were cyberflash strung at the same.

String pattern is an 18x20.

My regular set-up is a leaded radical with ashaway kevlar mains strung at 40 lbs and cyberflash crosses strung at 46 lbs.

The spin was adequate, I guess. I'm getting a little spoiled by the kevlar, which pretty much gives me all the spin I could ever hope for. But this dished out a fair amount. About average for a multi i guess.

The power was... maybe a little low. Even at this tension. It was actually kind of pleasantly surprising. I thought I'd be spraying shots all over with excess pop, but nope.

Feel was a little meh. It really took a while to get used to, and I have to say, I was very happy when the string popped. It felt very muted. I could control the shots, but the combination of muted racquet and muted string just didn't do it for me. But if you want a soft, muted multi, this would do well. Also, some people on here talked about it feeling crisp, which I just can't say I felt.

Tension maintenance was solid after the break in period, but mine popped out after about 6 hours so I never got too much testing time in to see how long it could go for.

Overall comments was that it was better than most multis I've tried. Good comfort oriented string that didn't really sacrifice too much of anything to achieve it. I think that if I liked the feel more, this would maybe one of the only multi's I'd consider giving the privilege of being in my racquet on a regular basis. But feel is totally subjective.

coolblue123
12-25-2010, 09:32 AM
String: I took heed from all the stringers in this thread and gave a good 10 minutes pull to allow for the string to uncoil. I even let it sit for an hour outside the package before stringing. Wow... my dropweight still took a good 10-13 cranks until it tighten. It took an extra 20 minutes to string with these strings. The smell reminded me of fresh Maxim Touch (new formula) (Smells like someone had a Barbie Doll Roast..)
Normal setup - Golden Set Maximal 16g/ Gosen Micro 17g @ 55lbs
Test Setup:
* Tension: 53lbs Full Bed. Knew power was going to be low. so decided to dial down the tension.
* Power: Alot less than regular multi's but better than typical polys. Off Centered shots were alittle more rough than usual multi's.
* Feel: Didn't really have alot of feedback on touch shots. After 20 minutes of playing I was able to gauge and feel the ball alot better.
* Tension maintenance: Still kept much of its tension after 2 hours of hitting in mid 40 degree weather. Very little string movement. Brrrr.... (TW: next time, pls spare a couple of warm pads with string demos)

Seems like this string is geared towards folks whom can't decide between multi and polys. The string is really low powered and had low feel but it was way more comfortable than a poly. I only played with these for a couple of hours and knew it's going to be alot tougher than typical multi's. I wonder what the frayed strings will look like? This has got to be some special formula strings.

Thanks again TW! You guys are the best!

natkid
12-25-2010, 11:09 AM
how long does it take for them to ship the string because I havn't gotten my set yet.

BobFL
12-25-2010, 11:25 AM
how long does it take for them to ship the string because I havn't gotten my set yet.

It is not about TW. Check post #123...

BounceHitBounceHit
12-25-2010, 11:44 AM
•Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set): 63# strung one piece

•Your regular string set up: Luxilon BB Ace 18 @ 63#, also strung one piece

•String pattern of your racquet: 16x19 (Wilson Asian BLX 90)

•Power (or lack there of): The test string was more powerful in comparison to my preferred Luxilon set up, but not MUCH more so. It did not however produce the same amount of spin. This combination meant I had to adjust my stroke a bit to keep routine groundies deep, but not long. ;) When serving I appreciated the extra 'umph' the string provided, but was not able to make sliders 'slide' and kickers 'kick' the way I am typically able to do with the full bed of Lux 18.

•Feel: The test string felt very boardy to me during the first 20 mins of hitting, but seemed to 'relax' (though interestingly NOT lose tension) in time. Thereafter the feel was adequate, but certainly not comparable to say a full bed of gut. Don't get me wrong, the feel was 'just fine'. For example, I seemed to hit pick up volleys and drop shots equally well w/ the test string. It just didn't excel in this department for me.

•Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension): The test string held its tension well. I played it twice and on both occasions the feel from the string bed was very similiar. Additionally, I was not flying balls , which can happen to me because I take a generous cut at the ball off the ground. ;) Losing control of the groundstrokes in that way is a sure sign to me a string is losing tension.

•Overall comments and feedback: I thought the test string played well. Like Geoff, I too was reminded of the older synthetic guts I used to enjoy, like PSGD. I think this string's ultimate popularity will depend heavily on it's pricing and ultimate durability. (And I know I used to snap PSGD in no time at all). There are so many good strings right now- I think it will be hard to find a 'niche' for any new product unless it posesses some very special quality, and despite it's textured surface the string did not deliver spin in excess of my 18 g poly setup. Nor did it shine in the power or feel categories (for me).

Ultimately for me this is not the kind of string that could lure me away from my beloved Luxilon BB Ace 18.

To TW: Thanks so much for including me in another review, and please accept my apology for the delay in writing this post. I have been ill with the flu this past week!

Best,

BHBH

Mansewerz
12-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Will finally be able to review these bad boys tomorrow! Sorry TW, i'm only able to play once a week in the winter so it's been a little delayed.

Bud
12-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Supposed to play doubles tomorrow morning... and you guessed it... more RAIN! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hopefully, it stops before 9am. I really want to hit more with these strings.

Mansewerz
12-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Power (or lack there of)
Feel
TW Staff

Just strung it up at 55/53 on my Volkl C10 Pro. Will hit with it later tonight and report my findings back when I do.

Mansewerz
12-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Ok so I went out and hit last night, and here are my findings.

Tension: 55 mains, 53 crosses on a Volkl C10 Pro (leaded up to 12.5 oz)

My Regular Setup: I typically use synthetic guts, but lately, I've used multis at about the same tension.

String Pattern: 16x19

Power: I felt that I could get depth and power pretty easily. The ball did drop short at times, though that was probably a result of my own technique. I did not have balls sailing long by a few inches (my out balls were mistimed homeruns :)). My shots went pretty much where I wanted them to go, and I felt pretty confident going for my shots. I also hit more flat last night, and the strings seemed to compliment that style.

Feel: The feel was pretty soft and comfortable. Not once did I feel any pain in my arm, and I would not say it was harsh at all. Pretty comfy ride all the way.

Tension maintenance: I've only played with it once so I cannot tell of a long term drop off, but so far so good. I did not experience a drop in my 2 hours of play, and it seemed to hold its tension pretty steady.

Overall Comments and feedback: The strings were pretty comfortable and nice. I did not feel any increase in spin from my normal set up. To me, these felt like a nice comfy multi. Would I buy it? Well, it depends on the price. I usually use Gosen OG Micro, so the price would have to be reasonable for a multi.

JRstriker12
12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
So when does TW tell us what this string is?

Or do they leave us hanging and spinning dark conspiracy theories?

"I tested on TW mystery string a long time ago, then one day I came home and my racket bag was gone and all TW posts concerning the string we erased from the internet. My next door eneighbor said she say some guys in black suits pull up to the house while I was gone and some big headed aliens with grey skin and big eyes messing with my Fios box in the back...." ;)

Topaz
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Striker, I think we have until January.

My first hit with the mystery string is tonight...really looking forward to it since so many have likened it to PSGD (which I love).

SteveI
12-27-2010, 03:32 PM

My first hit with the mystery string is tonight...really looking forward to it since so many have likened it to PSGD (which I love).

Feedback is all over the place with this test string. Hope you have a great hit with the string. I am thinking the mixed results may be related to string tension. This might be those string that plays well in a very small range of tension(s). Get the tension over or below that range and the string really loses its' playing characteristics.

I did not think it played like PSGD. I was playing Head PPS Syn gut (PSGD Clone) in my other test frame for comparison. The Head PPS outperformed the test string in drilling and match play results in my case. I felt no connection to the stringbed as it did not pocket well or create decent dwell time... feel was not really there.

themitchmann
12-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Full Review.

Tension it is strung: Full set @ 61lbs
Your regular string set up: Solinco Tour Bite 18/Prince SynGut Multi 17 @ 59lbs
String pattern of your racquet: 18x20 (Prince Rebel 95 with hole inserts)
Power (or lack there of): The string has plenty of power...though I was actually expecting a bit more. Depth came pretty easily. However, the ball tended to fly a bit when ever I hit too flat.
Feel: Overall, a pretty nice feeling string. Nothing exceptional in my opinion, but nice...average. Though I wouldn't categorize it as stiff, it didn't pocket the ball nearly as much as my usual set up.
Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension): Tension held well. Initial loss after stringing, but pretty consistent otherwise.
Overall comments and feedback: I noticed a significant difference in pocketing and spin. The ball tended to fly a bit, as I was not able to impart as much topspin with these strings. I think the power was pretty comparable to my usual set up. The outer ribbon started to fray after a couple of hours. The rest of the string started to fray a few hours later. It broke after about 15 hours of play. Overall, it's a decent string. I would expect to pay around $8 top for this string.

HiroProtagonist
12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry for the late review TW, weather has not been kind.

Tension:I strung it in a full bed at 59

Regular String:I dont have a go-to set-up but I usually play a poly/syn-gut hybrid.

String Pattern: iPrestige MP 18x20

Power: This being my first experience with a multi I was expecting a large jump in power from my usual poly/syn-gut set-up but I was pleasantly surprised that this string had only slightly more pop. Very controllable power, I think stringing it a bit higher than I would a poly helped here, the extra bit of pop was especially nice when I was pushed out wide.

Feel: I enjoyed the feel of this string, it felt very crisp but not harsh, very comfortable on my arm but certainly not soft. I found good touch and feel at net, and especially nice touch and control on my slice BH. I didnt get the pocketing feel that I prefer but that was most likely due to the higher tension than I am accustomed to.

Tension Maintenance: After about an hour of hitting the string seemed to settle in maybe losing a pound or two of tension, but after that and about 5 more hours of hitting I haven't noticed any tension loss, still feels very crisp. I have noticed more and more string movement but not annoyingly so. I will update this as I play more.

Overall: As I had never used a multi before I was expecting a lot more power and far less spin than I am used to, and was pleasantly proven wrong on both accounts. I was impressed by the control and spin I was getting with this string and especially enjoyed touch shots. I dont think I would use it in a full bed again as the power is just a little too much for me in a competitive situation but I would like to try it in a hybrid and in a thinner gauge, I think it would make an excellent cross string for those looking for more arm comfort while still maintaining a crisp feel.

Thanks TW and Happy Holidays!

Topaz
12-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Initial thoughts after using mystery string for about an hour tonight:

Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set) - Full set strung at mid tension in APDCGT (58lbs)

Your regular string set up - that's a good question. I have only been using these racquets since September and I have not actually settled on a regular set up, though my favorite (and probably future set up) is a hybrid between PSGD and Babolat VS team. I've previously played with PSGD as a full string job and I really, really like it (gold and white colors are my favorite)

String pattern of your racquet - 16/19

Power (or lack there of) - Power felt average to me. I didn't notice much difference between the mystery string and other string jobs in the power department (and I've used full poly to full PSGD in these racquets).

Feel - Feel for me was a bit lacking. This is a really thick string (15L possibly? That's a guess from my stringer), and it felt a bit stiff and boardy to me, but I'm thinking that as I hit with it, that may go away.

Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension) - will update this as I hit with it this week

Overall comments and feedback - I have not read everyone's reviews of the string, but I think I may echo many when I say it feels like a comfortable, solid string. I didn't feel that I sacrificed any power or control from other set-ups I've tried, yet it wasn't too much power either. Feel was average and thought I expect that to change ('soften' up a bit) I'm usually the biggest fan of a string when it is freshly strung.

Many have commented on the string's similarity to PSGD. Personally, I feel PSGD has better feel than this string, but I'm also a very different player than others on this playtest, and differences in racquet and stringing tension could be in play here, too. If given a choice, I would stick with PSGD.

Some thoughts on the string from my stringer (TW's own Schap02) - I did read that several people thought it stretched a lot when stringing, so I forewarned Schap about this...he didn't have any issues while stringing, and remarked that it was easy to string, didn't stretch too much, and had no coil. Like many others, he said it looked like a multifilament string, and he also noticed the 'ribbon' appearance, the apparent coating and texture of the string.

As always TW, thanks for the opportunity! I will continue to post my thoughts as I hit with the string this week. I doubt I will break it before our time is up (or ever, really!). :)

pvaudio
12-27-2010, 06:57 PM
^^^ I agree again with your stringer, I didn't get any ridiculous stretching issues, and I've been stringing natty recently at that. It pulled just like a normal multi and played just better than a syn gut.

JRProstaf9
12-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Again, very similar to my experience.

Did you notice an inordinate amount of stretch when stringing?

Actually didn't get too much stretching during the stringing process itself. I initially considered trying to stretch it out before stringing similar to how you would stretch gut... but I opted not to in order to get a full "out of the box" play test.

In hind sight I may have tried stretching first to see if there was any difference. Would also like to experiment with a 2 hybrid set up with a stiffer poly in the mains.

mikeler
12-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I also do not think this string played like PSGD.

JRstriker12
12-28-2010, 06:21 AM

Thx Topaz.

SteveI
12-28-2010, 07:59 AM
^^^ I agree again with your stringer, I didn't get any ridiculous stretching issues, and I've been stringing natty recently at that. It pulled just like a normal multi and played just better than a syn gut.

The feedback on stringing is also a very mixed bag indeed. While the string did stretch a bit, but no more than a basic multi or a soft solid core. The string that had the very most stretch in my experience was Gamma FatCore 17 or ProPlus 17L. My test sample was no where the two Gammas mentioned. I have also just strung a few natt gut jobs.. no where near nat gut either. I will be very interested to see what TW is willing to share with the Playtesters. As far a can tell.. no one is in love with this sample (not much wow factor). I few stated if the string was $8-$10 they might consider it. I feel the string is rare and there might be a market for this interesting string. I think it woukld make a nice cross for a # of hybrid set-ups.

pvaudio
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
I wonder if TW didn't send out two different gauges to different people, and the thinner gauge is a lot stretchier? I got what looked like a 1.30mm string, like Topaz noted, and hardly stretched but some other people said it looked like a 17g and that it stretched a huge amount. I'm curious if they did that to see how different gauges play.

JRstriker12
12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder if TW didn't send out two different gauges to different people, and the thinner gauge is a lot stretchier? I got what looked like a 1.30mm string, like Topaz noted, and hardly stretched but some other people said it looked like a 17g and that it stretched a huge amount. I'm curious if they did that to see how different gauges play.

FWIW - my set looked pretty thick. I'd guess 16 gauge.

mikeler
12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Mine was fairly thick, I think it was 16 or possibly 15L.

PBODY99
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Tension it is strung (please note if strung as hybrid or full set) Used in the mains @ 22.5 kg, 1.20 mm poly cross @ 20.5kg
Your regular string set up Multi mains/poly X at the above tension, my current winter set up in a 16 x 19 110 Speedport
FEEL: very muted,reminds me of Head Perfect Control
Installation I did not notice excessive stretch or coil memory.
Tension maintenance (how long it holds its tension) ACCEPTABLE, with the two sessions separated by 9 days, I did not notice a marked drop off, the s strings held up and do not show much wear.
Overall comments and feedback This 1.29mm string is ok, I wonder what the price point will be as iI have a few older players who might like it in a full bed, if the set price is between 6 & 9 dollars.
THANK YOU.

rshah020
12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I would love to be part of this play test! How could I get more info? I am ranked 3rd in my section (if that helps my chances) :)

SteveI
12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

I was wondering about the possible different guages way back in this thread and asked if anyone had measured the guage. Mine was quite thick compared to my Head Rip Control 17. The guage might be the key to the feedback being quite mixed. I am also very curious about these differences. Very interesting!!!

Topaz
12-28-2010, 05:27 PM

That sounds likely...there was *no way* my string was 17g, that's for sure!

Jonny S&V
12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Final review:

Tension: 62 lbs (standard non-poly tension for me)
Regular: Topspin Cyberflash 17g / Technifibre Red Code 16g 52/55 lbs
Pattern: 16x18

Power: There was a decent amount of pop, not unlike PSGD. The biggest surprise was that there didn't appear to be a dead spot on the frame at all. Overall, pretty lively, but reasonably controllable. 4/5

Feel: Again, similar to PSGD, but there was a bit more feel than I get from PSGD. The larger sweet-spot made for pretty easy droppers and angles. 4/5

Tension: Kept tension well, broke in the 4th hour of playtesting (compared to 1.5 for syn gut and 2.5 for multis). 4.5/5

Spin: This is where the string lost me. It was very difficult to get anything out of this string in the form of spin. That, combined with the lively bed, made for quite a few fenced balls that rarely happen. 2/5

Overall: A nice string, if I hit flatter, I would string it a couple lbs tighter and it could definitely be my main string. As it is, it doesn't lend itself well to spin, so not on my top list of strings to switch to. 3.5/5

Power Player
12-29-2010, 06:36 AM
I am going to string this up this weekend, i am not sure if I will make the TW cutoff. Between weather, holidays and work, i have not been able to change strings or play as much as i have wanted.

Bud
12-29-2010, 01:49 PM
It's raining again on my tennis day :| :mad:

Playing doubles on both Saturday and Sunday and will have my review complete at that time.

The DT of the stringbed after 3 hours of hitting so far is still ≈42 DT (tested with Tourna Stringmeter). I didn't have a chance to test it right off the machine.

According to the stringmeter, the gauge of the test string is 16g

- - -

** on a side note, many of the reservoirs in SD County are now filled up to 90% or more after all the recent rain! For 2010, we're approaching 180% of average annual rainfall which is 10.77", near downtown. Currently, we're at nearly 19" of rainfall for 2010! Some of the local mountains received 20-25" of rainfall during that last Pineapple Express.

mikeler
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I am going to string this up this weekend, i am not sure if I will make the TW cutoff. Between weather, holidays and work, i have not been able to change strings or play as much as i have wanted.

String it lower than you would for a normal multi.

coachrick
12-29-2010, 02:40 PM

If I have the same stuff, I actually installed it a couple of pounds higher than usual(since it's thicker than my chosen gauge, I tried to up the frequency by using a higher tension). Unless I were to play in much cooler than normal temps, I would stick with the higher tension. Just my thoughts.

coachrick
12-29-2010, 02:43 PM
- - -

** on a side note, many of the reservoirs in SD County are now filled up to 90% or more after all the recent rain! For 2010, we're approaching 180% of average annual rainfall which is 10.77", near downtown. Currently, we're at nearly 19" of rainfall for 2010! Some of the local mountains received 20-25" of rainfall during that last Pineapple Express.

As Bill Cosby used to say, "How long can YOU tread water?". But seriously, good luck with the weather and recovery. We JUST got about an inch of rain...pretty much all we've had since early September. Can't complain too much...it's going to be 75 tomorrow! Hang in there!

SteveI
12-29-2010, 03:50 PM

I did go 2 lbs lower.. I should have went about 5-6.

Have a good one!
Steve

mikeler
12-30-2010, 04:44 AM
If I have the same stuff, I actually installed it a couple of pounds higher than usual(since it's thicker than my chosen gauge, I tried to up the frequency by using a higher tension). Unless I were to play in much cooler than normal temps, I would stick with the higher tension. Just my thoughts.

It's got no power which is why I suggested going lower. Unfortunately, we only get 1 shot at it and I wish I would have installed it at 55 pounds and not 60.

bad_call
12-30-2010, 06:21 AM
got in an hour+ hitting session. like this string for practice...great for groundies, etc. when switching back to poly hybrid, strokes are improved. :)

Topaz
12-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I had my second hit with the string last night, for about one hour, in a mixed practice (drills and match play).

And, it felt much more comfortable the second time around. After reading the most recent comments, maybe we had the tension too high? Perhaps it has loosened up a bit? (I have no fancy string tension meter!)

Groundies were deep with good spin (for me), and volleys, especially reflex volleys (our guys like to pick on us a lot during practice!) were great. I didn't serve with it, though, because I had switched back to my other string job by then. At least last night, though, I was more consistent with the mystery string than my gut/PSGD hybrid. *scratching head*

So, I'll probably keep it strung up for the duration. Have one more hit planned with it tonight.

SteveI
12-30-2010, 07:17 AM
It's got no power which is why I suggested going lower. Unfortunately, we only get 1 shot at it and I wish I would have installed it at 55 pounds and not 60.

Yes.. with only one shot I wanted to get at least close to my normal tension. I went 60.. should have gone 55-56.