PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still use syn. gut?

DevilsChildXD
12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I just talked to one of my friends and he hated syn. gut like seriously hated it and i asked him why and he just said "they suck!!" I just got my brand new machine and decided to string one of my spare rackets for fun with syn. gut and i actually kind of like the feeling of them. Do anyone of you guys use syn. gut or know why some people hate it?

parasailing
12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I just talked to one of my friends and he hated syn. gut like seriously hated it and i asked him why and he just said "they suck!!" I just got my brand new machine and decided to string one of my spare rackets for fun with syn. gut and i actually kind of like the feeling of them. Do anyone of you guys use syn. gut or know why some people hate it?

I don't hate it but it just doesn't have the playability compared to poly, gut, or multis. For string breakers and those on a budget, this is a cheap string that satisfied the minimum need. I also agree that it also makes for a great string to improve your stringing abilities on as you can get a reel for such a great price.

snoflewis
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
i use it in a hybrid. wanted something a bit more lively in the crosses than poly. i think syn gut is as good as you cna get for a good overall string. it doesnt excel in anything and isnt terrible in anything. other strings provide more spin, lose tension faster, have more/less power, w/e it may be...it's just a good middle of the road string.

!<-_->!
12-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I tried out a few sets of Prince Syn. Gut Duraflex for fun in a couple of racquets. It definitely isn't crap as your friend seems to imply it to be. Compared to poly's, there is definitely a noticeable drop in power/spin. However, it's nothing a minor adjustment in the strokes that can't compensate for it. After a few hits I really didn't find too much difference in those department. Let's not forget touch is much better due to them being softer. The bigger pro for me was that it was much easier on the joints. The biggest con was durability. I don't break full poly too often. I went through the syn. gut in 8 hours in 1 racquet and 6 in another.

sansaephanh
12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I also use prince synth gut+duraflex as a basic string for times when i just need a string job. Great string. Does die if you don't break it fast enough though.

DevilsChildXD
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I tried out a few sets of Prince Syn. Gut Duraflex for fun in a couple of racquets. It definitely isn't crap as your friend seems to imply it to be. Compared to poly's, there is definitely a noticeable drop in power/spin. However, it's nothing a minor adjustment in the strokes that can't compensate for it. After a few hits I really didn't find too much difference in those department. Let's not forget touch is much better due to them being softer. The bigger pro for me was that it was much easier on the joints. The biggest con was durability. I don't break full poly too often. I went through the syn. gut in 8 hours in 1 racquet and 6 in another.

These strings sound good for a S&V player =O

jmjmkim
12-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Poly is so much more durable and playable, . . . I have 1/2 reel left ever since I got a reel of poly. The only thing with poly is, I miss breaking strings once in a while so that I can get a fresh set on the racket. I just can't break my strings anymore....... I gotta cut them. . . kinda waste

sansaephanh
12-08-2010, 11:20 PM
These strings sound good for a S&V player =O

hmm i guess that could be true, but the feel you'll have to get used to if you're not used to synth gut. I played with multi for a while, incredible feel. After i popped those i went back to prince synth and it was stiff compared to the ultra soft i was used to. you have to put a little umph into your volleys with this string, but that could just be my racket/tension (K6.1team@60lbs).

galain
12-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I really enjoy the feel of syn gut. Your friend saying "they suck" doesn't really tell you much, does it?

Borg Forever
12-08-2010, 11:35 PM

It's very cheap feeling, honestly. Polyester is pretty crisp feeling in my opinion.

!<-_->!
12-08-2010, 11:41 PM
hmm i guess that could be true, but the feel you'll have to get used to if you're not used to synth gut. I played with multi for a while, incredible feel. After i popped those i went back to prince synth and it was stiff compared to the ultra soft i was used to. you have to put a little umph into your volleys with this string, but that could just be my racket/tension (K6.1team@60lbs).

All relative I suppose. After going back to a poly setup from my brief stint w/ the syn gut experiment, same results as you. I think the differences are there, but nothing so drastic that you can't make minor adjustments to get back to where you were before. Of course there are various stiffness levels that may be a bit harder to adjust to than simply the power or spin generation of a string. Or at least that's my impression. Strung up Forten nylon after breaking my 2nd set of Prince Duraflex. Playable, but not my cup of tea overall. Too soft/mushy.

So my takeaway point I guess is that it's all relative, and string stiffness is a bigger factor in how a string plays

Of course, this is only how I perceive my string setups and will vary with others.

snoflewis
12-09-2010, 01:03 AM
my only complaint with syn gut is that in a full job, it becomes rather unpredictable. i feel at first, the string bed feels tight, then it loosens up, then at some point, begins to firm up, and then loosen up...i found it weird...i find poly/syn gut hybrid to be much more predictable. especially once the poly loosens up and settles in

stoo
12-09-2010, 05:45 AM
I just went back to a full bed of Gosen OG Sheep syn gut for the winter indoor season. Wanted to experiment with different tensions etc, and since I'm not a string breaker, this stuff lasts a while in my frames.

TheBoom
12-09-2010, 05:55 AM
No it breaks too easily and i hate the feel of the racket :(

jmverdugo
12-09-2010, 06:32 AM
I usually use a hybrid of Poly & Synth Gut but whenever I start to feel some pain, usually for playing too much, I switch to Synth Gut for a while, I just increase the tension a couple of punds. If you aske me there is not so much of a difference other than durability.

Dan Roundfield
12-09-2010, 07:00 AM

To each his own. Some synthetics I have tested like Gosen OG, Forten Sweet etc. offer more comfort, feel and much better tension maintenance than poly strings. The average poly will get you more spin and control imo.

Ask him why does he think they suck. If his answer sucks I wouldn't listen to his advice.

Totai
12-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I recently strung one of my racquets with full syn gut after playing hybrid for a year, and wow, it feels great. Drop shots, lobs, angles, I was doing it all with ease. I also noticed I was swinging way faster. The power and spin generation were noticibly less than my hybrid set up, but the feel and accuracy definity made up for it.

aggietex08
12-09-2010, 07:41 AM
My syn gut experience is limited to prince syn gut w/ duraflex in a full bed and head syn pps in hybrids.

When i played with the prince I share your friends opinions. It was the worst string bed I have ever felt. It felt stiffer than most co-polys which not only felt harsh on my arm but gave zero feed back. The strings felt very slick so the ball didn't stay in the string bed for spin or consistency. This slickness also contributed to the worst string movement I have ever seen, huge 1-2 inch gabs all over! Other than cost, I can not see why someone would play with it. Even then, there are better alternatives.

The Head syn pps was much better. I used it in a hybrid with rip control both ways. Both were enjoyable and playable but with rip control in the main giving more spin, less power and a better feel to it. I was surprised to find that with the syn gut in the main it felt slightly more comfortable though. String movement was worse but with the ribbons in rip control making it far less than full syn gut bed.

In modern tennis I don't think full syn gut has a place and as a result I have not come across a single person who uses it. I do however know plenty of people using it in a cross with either poly or nat gut in the mains. In this case it makes sense to add a bit more pop and comfort to a poly, and help tame the power and cost of nat gut.

Totai
12-09-2010, 08:36 AM
My syn gut experience is limited to prince syn gut w/ duraflex in a full bed and head syn pps in hybrids.

When i played with the prince I share your friends opinions. It was the worst string bed I have ever felt. It felt stiffer than most co-polys which not only felt harsh on my arm but gave zero feed back. The strings felt very slick so the ball didn't stay in the string bed for spin or consistency. This slickness also contributed to the worst string movement I have ever seen, huge 1-2 inch gabs all over! Other than cost, I can not see why someone would play with it. Even then, there are better alternatives.

The Head syn pps was much better. I used it in a hybrid with rip control both ways. Both were enjoyable and playable but with rip control in the main giving more spin, less power and a better feel to it. I was surprised to find that with the syn gut in the main it felt slightly more comfortable though. String movement was worse but with the ribbons in rip control making it far less than full syn gut bed.

In modern tennis I don't think full syn gut has a place and as a result I have not come across a single person who uses it. I do however know plenty of people using it in a cross with either poly or nat gut in the mains. In this case it makes sense to add a bit more pop and comfort to a poly, and help tame the power and cost of nat gut.

You haven't met a single person that uses a full syn guy string bed? Most of the people around here that play tennis are full syn guy. I am guessing you only play with higher level players?

GameSetMatch
12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
It depends on the synthetic but something Gosen 1.22 plays pretty well. Not overpowered like alot of multis and offers a good balance between softness/stiffess, and control. It doesn't offer the 'bite' and spin of poly and you can't make some of the shots that you can with poly, but then poly is poly and synthetic is synthetic. Overall it plays pretty well particularly the coloured versions which are slightly stiffer than the non-dyed version.

olliess
12-09-2010, 10:51 AM
You haven't met a single person that uses a full syn guy string bed? Most of the people around here that play tennis are full syn guy. I am guessing you only play with higher level players?

Surely there are plenty of higher level players who grew up on syn gut and find it adequate (maybe even preferable).

aggietex08
12-09-2010, 11:01 AM

I played around the 4.0 level so obviously not low but not too high. Like I stated I mostly see it in a cross. With that being said I'm sure I've played versus someone in a tourny but didn't look at thier strings close enough to know. The people on my team or the regulars I play with all use other combos.

struggle
12-09-2010, 01:04 PM
it's all i play (currently OGSM 17).

i'd say 90% of players don't really hit the ball hard enough to realize the benefits of full poly. it's just trendy b/c the pros use it alot these days.

i'm no pro and neither are you.

as far as durability goes......hogwash. your poly is dead at about the same time you break your syngut, if you really break it that quick.

the marketing geniuses have done their job.

edit: 90% of my playing partners use it too (poly). it does nothing for their game and they play it way past its' useful life. they just don't know any better. and they often lose to a syngut user.

BreakPoint
12-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Full syn gut is the best bang for the buck you can get out of a stringjob, IMHO. Good feel, good control, good power, good comfort, good durability (compared to expensive multis), easy to string, and dirt cheap! What more can you ask for? You can pay a lot more for strings and get a lot less. Full syn gut is the standard by which I judge all other stringjobs. It's really tough to beat it for the low cost. :)

Larrysümmers
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Full syn gut is the best bang for the buck you can get out of a stringjob, IMHO. Good feel, good control, good power, good comfort, good durability (compared to expensive multis), easy to string, and dirt cheap! What more can you ask for? You can pay a lot more for strings and get a lot less. Full syn gut is the standard by which I judge all other stringjobs. It's really tough to beat it for the low cost. :)

what string do you use?

sureshs
12-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I tried Wilson K Gut but did not like it and went back to Prince Premier LT

BreakPoint
12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
what string do you use?
Usually Gosen OG Sheep Micro but I've found almost all basic mono syn guts play very similarly. So pretty much any one will do. :)

TheRed
12-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Agree 100%. I don't use it myself but I think it's a joke when posters are saying polys have better power, feel, etc. First of all, there are numerous polys/copolys with huge differences in playability. Second, by and large, polys only have 3 advantages over syn gut - 1) control and 2) durability and 3)spin production. That's also not considering polys lose it's playability about the same time a syn gut will break.

sansaephanh
12-10-2010, 02:00 AM
yep Most sub 4.o players are budget players. Especially in my poor circles. We share rackets, strings, machines, labor, shoes and clothes sometimes too.

Full synth reels are performance for us. The first time I tried multi I played like a 4.0 player lolz. I felt so confident and moved my feet like a pro. Popped them in maybe 8 hours of solid hitting.

Full beds of synth has budget player written ALL OVER it. Prince synth gut with duraflex is our supreme synG of choice. Not that we've tried too many others.

If you're anything like me, stick with it until you get a job lolz.

The_Question
12-10-2010, 07:09 AM
I remember there was a thread of the exact (if not close) same title as this one 6 months ago...

I still use syn gut. Most of my 2nd tier racquets are strung w/syn gut in main. It serves me well. Perhaps some folks (OP's friend) look down on it because of its basic design and low price?

Satch
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM

what about 15L full sg? What are power/control of such thick string vs 17, i know that durability is nice.

Totai
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Whats your take on Nylons? I just strung up a racquet with a full bed of Forten Nylon strings (so ridiculously cheap!!!) and I was loving it.

Dan Roundfield
12-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Whats your take on Nylons? I just strung up a racquet with a full bed of Forten Nylon strings (so ridiculously cheap!!!) and I was loving it.

All synthetics are Nylon or Zyex.

Totai
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
All synthetics are Nylon or Zyex.

hmmm, so "nylon" strings are just regular syn gut, but "syn gut" is just more expensive?

Dan Roundfield
12-10-2010, 12:35 PM
hmmm, so "nylon" strings are just regular syn gut, but "syn gut" is just more expensive?

Just depends on what brand you get. IMO the Forten and Gosen are better than Head or Gamma synthetic guts (nylon) and cost alot less.

SteveI
12-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Last summer I was playing a Hybrid of Gosen ProForm Tuff 16 (mains) and Gosen OG 17 62/59 in the Dunlop M-fil 400s. Since the 400s are on the stiffer side (and somewhat powerful).. I wanted a non-poly string that was also lower powered. One of the 400s I obtained from Fabrice Leroy was strung with a full bed of Gosen ProForm Tuff 16 and that frame really played the best of the five I had strung (BTW.. over multis, co-polys). So.. if you are looking to tame a frame and not looking to break the bank or your arm. A lower powered syn gut might be the answer. The string was quite playable for about 10-12 hours.. at which point either it would break.. or I would cut it out. I have moved on to Head Rip Control 17 or 16 since..but still have a frame in the bag strung with my super cheap Gosen hybrid (>$2.00). I have a real of Forten Nylon 16 I use for HS players.. it is cheap and lasts.. and you can get all sorts of colors.

Steve

Jamesm182
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
after having elbow problems i used it for quite a while but it wasnt durable enough andf was only lasting around 2 hours

I used the tecnifibre ones and they were nice ..multifeel?

I now use polyfibre black venom and syn gut hybrid