PDA

View Full Version : Spraying silicone on your strings...

Baloo
12-09-2010, 02:36 AM
I read about this somewhere (probably on these boards) and have been trying it lately. It really does extend the life of the strings!

I'm currently using RIP control in the mains with Cyber Blue cross and there is no sign of fraying on the RIP after about 10-12 hours play. I hit the ball pretty hard with a decent amount of TS. Normally RIP would be starting to fray by this time (which means it is going to die soon), I have always used it as a cross before so it's even more impressive that it is holding up in the mains.

One other thing I was starting to get some string movement so I sprayed them again and now there's no movement (or rather they are sliding back into position) :)

If you use a multi give it a go.

coolblue123
12-09-2010, 05:34 AM
I was wondering if it'll make your strings go dead because the spray will make the strings non-elastic? If that's true, also, then there will be no bite on the strings as well.
Let us know! Curious about this.

aggietex08
12-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm curious if anyone knows if adding material to your strings is tourny legal?

coloskier
12-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows if adding material to your strings is tourny legal?

Probably no different than putting on a stencil according to the rulebook.

Donnay Quixote
12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I use a full poly set up....how would silicone affect it?

Dave M
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I was wondering if it'll make your strings go dead because the spray will make the strings non-elastic? If that's true, also, then there will be no bite on the strings as well.
Let us know! Curious about this.

Many years ago i was curious about this and inked my whole stringbed, it did have an effect on the strings, (It was a syn gut) much less recoil (i think thats the word!) on the ball oh and the new wilson balls went red pretty quickly!

kiteboard
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
It takes away control. I don't know if it's legal, due to the silicone applying to the ball, and affecting its skid. Makes it wet and slippery. I hated it.

kinsella
12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I cannot imagine putting enough silicone on the ball to affect its bounce. A more efficient way to apply silicone is with those shoe shine sponges. Not the ones with color -- the ones that just add shine. I use these to lubricate natural gut during stringing.

I have no opinion on whether this is a good idea.

esgee48
12-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I do it when I notice my mains do not return to their 'verticalness.' I spray the stuff on a paper towel and wipe down the string bed. I let it dry overnight. Seems to add more spin to my shots by letting the mains restore their position faster. JMHO. Only lasts for one hitting session before I have to switch racquets. I believe this is legal since it is dry and is 'treated like stencil ink.'

Baloo
12-09-2010, 10:07 PM
It takes away control. I don't know if it's legal, due to the silicone applying to the ball, and affecting its skid. Makes it wet and slippery. I hated it.

LoL Kiteboard I use spray silicone not the kind that seals around a bath tub.

As for the legality I have no idea, unless you started spraying on court not sure how anyone would ever find out.

Spin is no different

@ DQ I can't see it making much difference to a full poly set up.

for me it lasts a couple of sets.

Don't Let It Bounce
12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
This thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=356166) had some observations and ideas on the topic.

A more efficient way to apply silicone is with those shoe shine sponges. Not the ones with color -- the ones that just add shine. I use these to lubricate natural gut during stringing.Off-topic, but I've never used anything other than candle wax for that. It's easy and seems to help protect the mains while stringing the crosses, but I'm always interested in something that works better. Can you compare the two? And what are you applying with the shoe shine sponge?

Backhanded Compliment
10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I use blaster silicone spray on my poly/gut hybrid. It lasts one session but it really does improve snapback and spin for the poly strings. Im at 17 hours for this stringjob btw.

Old Chemist
10-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Try Armor All instead of silicone spray -- it's not as greasy or smelly and does a good job of reducing friction with poly's -- not sure about multifilaments.

I just spray a little on both sides and wipe the strings with clean dry cloth.

I don't see why this would be illegal as many people use teflon string savers and string manufacturers use polyfluoro and low friction coatings on many of their offerings -- but I don't make the rules.

Bartelby
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
There was another more extensive thread about this issue just recently and the consensus was it makes a difference.

Old Chemist
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Forgot to add I have also tried Armor All with syngut (Prince Lightening XX 17) -- IMO it worked very well -- string movement and wear were reduced while spin was enhanced -- made my racquet and racquet bed shinier as well.

AlfaAce
10-17-2012, 08:03 PM
FWIW... Armor All's main ingredient is... silicone.

Old Chemist
10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Alfa,

You are right -- it is a water-based silicone emulsion -- I was thinking of the petroleum based silicone sprays which are less pleasant to work with when I referred to silicone spray.

kimbahpnam
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Try Armor All instead of silicone spray -- it's not as greasy or smelly and does a good job of reducing friction with poly's -- not sure about multifilaments.

I just spray a little on both sides and wipe the strings with clean dry cloth.

I don't see why this would be illegal as many people use teflon string savers and string manufacturers use polyfluoro and low friction coatings on many of their offerings -- but I don't make the rules.

i wouldn't use armor all on anything....especially my car!

I think the silicone would only last a limited amount of time and most of it will probably rub off on the ball, but a freshly sprayed racquet will feel good.

GlenK
10-18-2012, 03:30 AM
i wouldn't use armor all on anything....especially my car!

I actually found a good purpose for it. Spraying it on my garage door hinges makes it really quiet.
A guy installing my GD opener suggested that and it's amazing how well it works..

tennisjon
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
If I am not mistaken, Babolat N.Vy has a silicon outer coating which allow poly main strings to slide instead of notch and therefore adds more spin and increased durability.

mikeler
10-18-2012, 12:07 PM
The silicon spray does help with string movement when using multis.

mctennis
10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
If I played with someone that was continually spraying their strings AND it was on the actual felt of the tennis balls. I'd think that was some how either illegal or at the least just not good sportsmanship. Who wants to have grease all over their hands trying to hold on to their racquet?
Sounds sort of dumb to me anyway. If you need that much extra " stuff" on your strings perhaps that string just isn't for you. Who wants to go through all this trouble over and over again.
Just a thought.

mikeler
10-20-2012, 04:14 AM
If I played with someone that was continually spraying their strings AND it was on the actual felt of the tennis balls. I'd think that was some how either illegal or at the least just not good sportsmanship. Who wants to have grease all over their hands trying to hold on to their racquet?
Sounds sort of dumb to me anyway. If you need that much extra " stuff" on your strings perhaps that string just isn't for you. Who wants to go through all this trouble over and over again.
Just a thought.

It does not get on the felt.

mctennis
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
It does not get on the felt.

Okay, thanks for the info.

3fees
10-21-2012, 08:06 AM
No,,however sanding smooth strings with emery cloth is possible,hahahaha