PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Black Code to Cyclone

ryushen21
12-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Before I go into this, yes, I did search and no, I did not find the answers I was looking for. Hence the new thread. I'll also preface this by saying that if it were not for the cost aspect of things, I would not be looking for a different string.

I have 6 sets of BC 17 left in my bag but once those are gone then I will have to have found a new string. I have to save money everywhere that I can and tennis gear is no exception.

I have read a lot of threads about people really liking Volkl Cyclone and saying what a great string it is for the price. This is really what has spurred my curiosity.

My first question is: can anyone give me a direct comparison between BC and Cyclone? As much detail as possible would be great especially regarding tension maintenance, feel, comfort, string life, etc. I normally get 10-12 hours out of a set of BC and would like to keep it in that range.

I'll also open it up and say that I am open to other suggestions that are similar to black code and $10 or less per set. I don't care about the color of the string, just how it plays.

jyas
12-09-2010, 11:11 PM
IMO, cyclone is stiffer, cheaper, and sharper than bc. Tension maintenance seems the same. I currently use cyclone 18 in my yt prestige mps and love it. Not completely sold on textured/shaped polys helping with spin but it seems to help me. Maybe it's a mental thing. Of all the string that I've tried (most everything on the market or soon to be on it) cyclone is the closest to bc considering the price point you're looking at. String it a couple lbs less than you do with bc as a starting point. Hope this helps. There's also a new Dunlop sided poly coming out, not sure when or at what price point, which is a bit stiffer than cyclone.

Carolina Racquet
12-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Ryushen... when you ask for opinions on string, I'm sure you're gonna get a wide array of suggestions! String is primarily a personal preference. With that said...

I like Cyclone, but found it works best for me at low tension because of the stiffer feel. I have not hit Black Code, but other comments I've seen are similar to the one above from jyes...

At normal tension, I was impressed with Big Hitter Blue Rough. It's almost $8 a set, but if you like it you can invest in a reel at it gets down to around $5 for 40' of string.

Blue Gear from Supex is another geared string with a lot of good reviews and is available from a few other online retailers.

In all, I would suggest you first 3 different low price options and use this time of year to experiment with a change. I think you'll find a suitable substitute when by the time spring rolls around.

Autodidactic player
12-10-2010, 04:34 AM
Not a string suggestion, because like you I love black code, but rather a price suggestion. If you shop around for the best price and measure carefully before stringing you can get Black Code by the reel for just over $9.00 per set.

I'm figuring 18 sets per reel with a best price of about $165.00 per reel equals $9.16 per set. If you're breaking the string, you may also want to try moving up to 16 gauge which should give you a couple of more hours per set thus lowering your cost by having to string less often.

P.S. If you find a cheaper alternative that plays as well as Black Code, please post your findings.

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 04:46 AM
IMO, cyclone is stiffer, cheaper, and sharper than bc. Tension maintenance seems the same. I currently use cyclone 18 in my yt prestige mps and love it. Not completely sold on textured/shaped polys helping with spin but it seems to help me. Maybe it's a mental thing. Of all the string that I've tried (most everything on the market or soon to be on it) cyclone is the closest to bc considering the price point you're looking at. String it a couple lbs less than you do with bc as a starting point. Hope this helps. There's also a new Dunlop sided poly coming out, not sure when or at what price point, which is a bit stiffer than cyclone.

Thanks jyas....this has been my primary preoccupation with switching. I enjoy the comfort and softness of BC just as much as the spin benefits. I've also found that, although I string at 60, BC doesn't seem to get that boardy feeling. Seeing as stiffness usually means more power and lower tension equals more power, I could find myself in a bit of a quandry. But at the price, it seems like it may be worth it to try.

Ryushen... when you ask for opinions on string, I'm sure you're gonna get a wide array of suggestions! String is primarily a personal preference. With that said...

I like Cyclone, but found it works best for me at low tension because of the stiffer feel. I have not hit Black Code, but other comments I've seen are similar to the one above from jyes...

At normal tension, I was impressed with Big Hitter Blue Rough. It's almost $8 a set, but if you like it you can invest in a reel at it gets down to around $5 for 40' of string.

Blue Gear from Supex is another geared string with a lot of good reviews and is available from a few other online retailers.

In all, I would suggest you first 3 different low price options and use this time of year to experiment with a change. I think you'll find a suitable substitute when by the time spring rolls around.

Carolina....what in tennis isn't personal?! :)

When you say low tension, how low are we talking? My usual tension is 60.

Thanks for the input about the other strings. I will definitely do some looking into those other strings you mentioned. IIRC, haven't posters here said that BG tends to be stiff?

Not a string suggestion, because like you I love black code, but rather a price suggestion. If you shop around for the best price and measure carefully before stringing you can get Black Code by the reel for just over $9.00 per set.

I'm figuring 18 sets per reel with a best price of about $165.00 per reel equals $9.16 per set. If you're breaking the string, you may also want to try moving up to 16 gauge which should give you a couple of more hours per set thus lowering your cost by having to string less often.

P.S. If you find a cheaper alternative that plays as well as Black Code, please post your findings.

I've thought about the reel too. Although I have never actually done the math on it to coming out that cheap. That might be an easier sell to the Mrs. who watches the finances.

I do love BC. If the price could just come down a bit I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Carolina Racquet
12-10-2010, 06:12 AM
ryushen21...

In my open pattern racquet, dropped 10% from 61 to 54 lbs. However, most recently I'm one of those "radicals" that have gone low, low tension... now 35-37lbs. Feels really good, especially in colder temps. For that, I use Cyclone 17g

I hear blue gear is stiff, but is addressed through lower tension.

I echo a previous post that all the options in strings can be mind-blowing. If you really like Black Code, stay with it and look for more affordable options.

Do you string your own sticks? That can be more of a budget-saver than string if you're a frequent re-stringer.

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 06:26 AM
ryushen21...

In my open pattern racquet, dropped 10% from 61 to 54 lbs. However, most recently I'm one of those "radicals" that have gone low, low tension... now 35-37lbs. Feels really good, especially in colder temps. For that, I use Cyclone 17g

I hear blue gear is stiff, but is addressed through lower tension.

I echo a previous post that all the options in strings can be mind-blowing. If you really like Black Code, stay with it and look for more affordable options.

Do you string your own sticks? That can be more of a budget-saver than string if you're a frequent re-stringer.

Interesting, I've considered dropping my tension but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it.

Ideally my solution would be to buy a stringer and a reel of BC. Kill two birds with one stone. But the stringer that I want is way more than I can afford right now....

nickarnold2000
12-10-2010, 06:38 AM
I've used BC, Tornado and Cyclone(as mains) interchangeably and they're all very nice strings. They all bite the ball well and have good tension maintenance with Tornado having the best of the three. I start playing and quickly forget what the string is I'm actually playing with.
BC and Tornado are both too expensive(IMO) but TW Europe has it listed(Tornado) much cheaper even with shipping thrown in.
Hopefully other string companies will notice how well Cyclone is selling at $100/reel and will lower their prices accordingly!

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 06:49 AM
I've used BC, Tornado and Cyclone(as mains) interchangeably and they're all very nice strings. They all bite the ball well and have good tension maintenance with Tornado having the best of the three. I start playing and quickly forget what the string is I'm actually playing with.
BC and Tornado are both too expensive(IMO) but TW Europe has it listed(Tornado) much cheaper even with shipping thrown in.
Hopefully other string companies will notice how well Cyclone is selling at $100/reel and will lower their prices accordingly!

What about in the feel department? How does Cyclone compare to the softness of BC and the control that comes with it?

bad_call
12-10-2010, 06:50 AM
using BG 1.28/OGSM hybrid in the MGPP at 47/50. no stiffness(discomfort) here and the added spin/kick keeps the opponent honest.

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Also thought I'd throw in that I would be interested in hearing any comparisons to Genesis Typhoon.

Power Player
12-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Ryu..lower your tension to 52#s with these polys, it is so much easier on the arm and benefits your strokes provided you use some topspin, which i am sure you do.

I have used about all these polys and i would recommend genesis hexonic and big hitter blue rough. I also am a fan of the poly star strings, because they feel fantastic.

ryushen21
12-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Ryu..lower your tension to 52#s with these polys, it is so much easier on the arm and benefits your strokes provided you use some topspin, which i am sure you do.

I have used about all these polys and i would recommend genesis hexonic and big hitter blue rough. I also am a fan of the poly star strings, because they feel fantastic.

PP....didn't you play with typhoon as well? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on that string too. Thanks for the other recommendations. I will look into them.

Re: lowering the tension....that would be difficult to do. I string at 60 because I am primarily a flat hitter but I could see myself dropping the tension to about 56 if necessary.

jyas
12-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I haven't tried typhoon but if you want a tension comparison between bc and cyclone I have that. With bc, I strung my racquets (yt prestige mp) at 56lbs. With cyclone, I'm at 52lbs. Hope you can you use that as a reference.

nickarnold2000
12-11-2010, 02:03 AM
What about in the feel department? How does Cyclone compare to the softness of BC and the control that comes with it?
I honestly can't remember because I also went up and down with tension between 38 and 48 lbs at that time. I'm an all courter so I routinely hit all sorts of different shots and none of these strings stand out as lacking feel(at least as far as polys go!).

ryushen21
12-11-2010, 04:38 AM
I honestly can't remember because I also went up and down with tension between 38 and 48 lbs at that time. I'm an all courter so I routinely hit all sorts of different shots and none of these strings stand out as lacking feel(at least as far as polys go!).

I see. I couldn't imagine tensions that low!

Anyone else got input on Cyclone or any of the other strings mentioned?

Power Player
12-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Typhoon is a great string. You need to try a pack of it, but I would also buy a pack of Hexonic. Hexonic has better feel to it. I would string them at 56 if you need a higher tension. I feel like Hexonic has a better bang for the buck..if you are hitting flat, the sweet spot is incredible with hexonic. Typhoon is a rough string, it has great spin..durable..etc, but you almost have to try both just to see what you prefer.

dcsrour
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I am trying to get rid of my typhoon. if anyone is interested csrourc@aol.com

ryushen21
12-12-2010, 03:21 AM
Typhoon is a great string. You need to try a pack of it, but I would also buy a pack of Hexonic. Hexonic has better feel to it. I would string them at 56 if you need a higher tension. I feel like Hexonic has a better bang for the buck..if you are hitting flat, the sweet spot is incredible with hexonic. Typhoon is a rough string, it has great spin..durable..etc, but you almost have to try both just to see what you prefer.

Thanks for the input, it looks like for the genesis stuff to be really cost effective for me I would need to buy a reel. Typhoon looks like it is the closest in construction and characteristic to BC so I am definitely interested in that one.

Carolina Racquet
12-12-2010, 06:11 AM
I see. I couldn't imagine tensions that low!

Anyone else got input on Cyclone or any of the other strings mentioned?

Re: low tensions (under 50), you have to keep an open mind. Forget about how how 55 lbs felt when you normally played at 60 lbs. When you get into the 40's, you'll find the poly receptive and soft, but not ultra "springy".

For me, poly (Cyclone) and a 37lb tension works (open pattern in OS frame). With a poly, low elasticity makes it work without severe trampolining. My arm feels great and I have never been more accurate with AGGRESSIVE shots and serves. In short, everything is easier and more comfortable.

ryushen21
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Anyone else can share some experiences?

Tmano
12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I have one question about going low with the tension:
if you go too low with the tension (out of the racquet's specs) then, aren't you only going to take advantage of the characteristic of the string? therfore what about the frame specs and tension raccomandation? string and frame should work together...isn't it?