PDA

View Full Version : B Bill...What do YOU think it takes?

tricky nicky
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I spend quite a few minutes each day reminding my kid how important Mental Fitness is in order to suceed in any sport, especially tennis.

I see a lot of Brittish tennis players losing it on court, verbal,racquet abuse, talking to themselves negatively and generally going to the "DARK SIDE"

I advise my kid not to go to the darkside/get in a hole thats hard to get back out of while on court, when things get tough I also advise taking a toilet break between sets to refocus away from the scene of the "crime" (bad call,bounce,luck,etc)

I File Mental Fitness in the INTELLIGENCE folder.

My other folders contain SKILL, HEART (Desire & Physical)

I classify these folders in the following order of importance.

1= Skill
2=Intelligence
3=Heart

what folders do you have and what is their order of importance and why.

regards,

tricky.

Jonnyf
06-09-2005, 01:31 PM
if you don't mind i'll put mine
1= Skill
2= heart/love (of the game)
3= Intelligence

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not BB, but oh well. :P Heart often mixes in with skill. If they don't really want to improve, they're not going to be very good. It also mixes in with court coverage (desire to get the ball), etc. Therefore, to me it's more of a subfolder for everything.

Skill is sort of general as well, for example, just inside skill you have:

1 - Consistency
a. stroke fundamentals
b. consistent setup/backswing
c. percentage play (also in intelligence)

2 - Power
a. clean contact
b. extension through the ball
c. gross muscles, i.e. trunk. legs

3 - Spin
a. racquet head speed, etc.
b. setup in relation to ball

4 - Heart
a. desire to improve

5 - Way more, skill is countless. I don't know why I'm writing these anyway.

But oh well. For simply the main folders:

1 - Skill
2 - Intelligence (strategy, mental game, etc.)
3 - Athleticism (fitness, court coverage + agility)

Heart's in all of them. And the cardio heart endurance thing is in athleticism. Skill...too general. It's up there because there are simply so many factors in it. Intelligence and athleticism are pretty much all part of it.

kevhen
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
1) Desire (this combined with athletism keeps you on the court so that you practice the skills needed to be great)
2) Athleticism (You can't be 400 pounds and 4' tall and expect to excel in tennis)
3) Brains (you can't just go out there and bash the ball, the best players I meet make adjustments during the matches and will outthink you to find the best matchup, and you have to practice with some thought in order to improve as well)

Bungalo Bill
06-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I spend quite a few minutes each day reminding my kid how important Mental Fitness is in order to suceed in any sport, especially tennis.

I see a lot of Brittish tennis players losing it on court, verbal,racquet abuse, talking to themselves negatively and generally going to the "DARK SIDE"

I advise my kid not to go to the darkside/get in a hole thats hard to get back out of while on court, when things get tough I also advise taking a toilet break between sets to refocus away from the scene of the "crime" (bad call,bounce,luck,etc)

I File Mental Fitness in the INTELLIGENCE folder.

My other folders contain SKILL, HEART (Desire & Physical)

I classify these folders in the following order of importance.

1= Skill
2=Intelligence
3=Heart

what folders do you have and what is their order of importance and why.

regards,

tricky.

Interesting topic. I think it depends on how you organize information. I tend to be a bit more detailed and compartmentalized. So I would categorize like this:

1. Technique: All strokes broken out and rated

2. Mental toughness: Ability to focus on the strategic game plan. Ability to stay focused during a point to accomplish the game plan.

3. Shot Selection Skills: This would include court awareness, ability to switch from defense to offense, and the ability to no when and when not to go for the shot.

4. Discipline and Determination: This encompasses off-court and on-court areas; eating habits, sticking to a workout schedule, practicing when one doesnt feel like it.

5. Enthusiasm, Attitude, and Sportsmanship: A good attitude goes a long way. Rodger Federer is a prime example. He was a hot head for a long-time. Well known for throwing his racquet and having minor tantrums. Now look at him. You would never know it.

6. Goals and Practice Plans: I dont know if you would want to include something like this. I probably would though.

joe sch
06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
1) Desire (this combined with athletism keeps you on the court so that you practice the skills needed to be great)
2) Athleticism (You can't be 400 pounds and 4' tall and expect to excel in tennis)
3) Brains (you can't just go out there and bash the ball, the best players I meet make adjustments during the matches and will outthink you to find the best matchup, and you have to practice with some thought in order to improve as well)
My list is very close to kevhen's

1 - Desire : motivation needed to even play and then to win
2 - Athleticism : balance, footwork and strenght are all very important to playing high level 10s
3 - 10s skills, you can only play using your current abilities (outer game)
4 - Mental concentration, focusing on the ball, blocking outside thoughts, fears (inner game)

Its often said that tennis is 99% mental but this assumes you have the outer game and this is what separates most touring pros and open level players. Having the outer game require lots of hard work using (1) + great athleticism (2) thus (3) after many years of hard work and then only with exceptional (4) will a player be very successful

Datacipher
06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
My list is very close to kevhen's

1 - Desire : motivation needed to even play and then to win
2 - Athleticism : balance, footwork and strenght are all very important to playing high level 10s
3 - 10s skills, you can only play using your current abilities (outer game)
4 - Mental concentration, focusing on the ball, blocking outside thoughts, fears (inner game)

I agree with both of you, but I would order them 4,2,1,3

At this level 3 is really a given. The mechanics of everyone at a certain point become so good, it's not the most important issue. In fact, if the other 3 are present, sometimes even top 100 players get away with somewhat less then perfection at 3.

4 and 2 are paramount though at even the highest junior levels, they will limit you severely at some point.

SageOfDeath
06-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Heart: If you don't want to improve and don't love the game what in the heck is your motovation to even play?!
Skill: Even if you aren't very athletic you can still manage to play tennis at lower levels. But If you are very athletic and have no skill you are classified as a n00bie.
Athleticism: You need to be very fit to hit fast paced balls, be able to shift your weight into the ball, have good stamina.
Inteligence: You need to have a stategy because without stategy you are getting no where fast.
Mental Edge: Very important but I think the others above are more important. If you feel nervous or tense you tend to lose energy quick and start forgetting the mechanics of your strokes that came so easily before.