PDA

View Full Version : What do you do before playing?

akj27
06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Do you stretch? anything? I usually run around the courts for like 10 minutes

HappyLefty
06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
I recommend you read "Winning Ugly" from Brad Gilbert. It's an excellent book. There is a chapter dedicated to your issue and explains in-depth how to deal with the previous preparation in aspects such as body, mind, strategy.
It's a must have book.

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Before playing, I usually spend a LOT of preparation time. Nothing strenuous of course, I need to save that for the match.

I'm stretching thoroughly, mostly the legs and shoulders/arms. After that I'll run for 10 minutes or so like you, pretty much a light pace with occasional short sprints. I'll then try to play with someone else about an hour to thirty minutes beforehand, just rallying, loosening up more, and testing basic strokes. I'm practicing/warming up for as much time as possible, but NOTHING strenuous. If I can't find somebody to play, I find a wall.

If I can't find a wall, I warm up by hitting at people's cars and my future opponents. :D

donnyz89
06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
at the regionals for my highschool this year. this one kid, who was wearing bright yellow longsleeve sweats and sweat pants that were longer than carpris but shorter than normal pants. he looked like a complete "u know wat", and then he actually ran around the whole court like twice, boy was I and my buddies making fun of him... he lost in the first round too. i think prematch warm up is important. during a regular match, our coach make us run around the court twice then stretch for about a total of 10 minutes. then i hit for 10 minutes for my opponent.

Mahboob Khan
06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Yes, running around the court for 5-10 minutes is excellent way of warm up. However, while you are running you may do some dynamic stretching. Avoid static stretching before a match. Research has shown that static stretching before a match, in fact, will reduce performance for about 20%. Static stretching is good after the match NOT before!

Static stretching before a match is a story of the past.

Jet Rink
06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Also, you could consult that guy that posted that he stretches his thang as a warm-up strategy...

Jet ;)

MegacedU
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I stretch my quads and listen to Nelly's #1 on my ipod.

TwistServe
06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Well you can do what tyson does.. scare the opponent.. tell him "I'm going to gut you like a fish".. and look mean when you say it.

thejackal
06-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I jump rope.

raftermania
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Well you can do what tyson does.. scare the opponent.. tell him "I'm going to gut you like a fish".. and look mean when you say it.

lol, I would but I don't have that freakish tattoo on my face.

equinox
06-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Eat bannana.
Apply sunscream.
Skip nike speed rope for 3-5 minutes.
Stretch legs, groin, shoulder and arm muscles.
Do shadow tennis strokes on court.

Sir
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I ride the bike to the tennis court (5 minutes) ;)

Andres
06-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I stretch a little bit, and I always carry a basketball ball with me, and I start dribbling behing the back, between the legs and shooting to an imaginary basket. Works great for me ;) It helps me to get concentrated.
If i had the chance on the club, i warm up playing some table tennis ;)

Kirko
06-10-2005, 09:03 AM
I always play late in the day; so I'm "loose" . We practice groundstrokes etc. for about 40 min. then get down to a couple of sets or a pro-set.

fishuuuuu
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Remember that thread about playing with a loaded gun? Well uhh I uhh... just kidding =]

Usually I go around philandering ... but this stops when I have to warm up about 5-10 minutes with a partner.

I don't really thoroughly stretch beforehand because it's better for me to annoy my opponent with things like stretching between points, retying your shoelaces at each change of ends, taking very small gulps of water...

=]

Exile
06-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Sure, you can use that *** lisp he has too.

I usualy meditate to obtain a sense of balance before each match, though it is difficult some times because my team likes to screw around (and i like to join in)
I have my wrist and ankle weights on(10 lb each), so i can move a bit better when i take them off. I have been made fun of a few times for this so i wear my teams pants and jacket to cover them. I never lost the first or second round though.

kevhen
06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I just start slow and don't try to hit hard for the first 5-10 minutes and not try to run too fast or too hard either. Start slow and easy and just work on consistency when first hitting.

Geezer Guy
06-10-2005, 11:44 AM
If I know who I'll be playing, I usually go over my strategy for that type of player. If I don't know my opponent, I'll just concentrate on playing to my strengths. I do some visualization and play out points in my head.

Tenny
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Don't you guys eat at all?
I eat. My favorite is two in-and-out hamburges w/o cheese. Sampras' favorite meal was fasta with chicken but I found I play better after hamburges.

FREDDY
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
im gonna play at 8 in the morning and im going to get there at 745 -750 ish. match starts at 8. how should i prep???

GRANITECHIEF
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Wake & Bake!

Mahboob Khan
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
If you have access it's great to dribble a basketball; throw and catch a rugby ball; or play volleyball, or throw medicine balls off stability ball. I did not mention them because generally players cannot carry them! However, these are great warm up and training tools.

raftermania
06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Tenny
06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Oh, I like this. Do you have more, raftermania?

raftermania
06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Your dog poopeth, you pick it upeth.

equinox
06-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Hehe, before starting night tennis i'll have a kick to kick with the aussie rules football.
Everyone hitting up was looking at us, like wtf when we started kicking over the net to each other. great fun. :)

Bungalo Bill
06-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Yes, running around the court for 5-10 minutes is excellent way of warm up. However, while you are running you may do some dynamic stretching. Avoid static stretching before a match. Research has shown that static stretching before a match, in fact, will reduce performance for about 20%. Static stretching is good after the match NOT before!

Static stretching before a match is a story of the past.

Hi Mahboob,

How are you? Glad to see you are still posting. Always good to have you here as your insight is always helpful. I hope everything is going well for you. Did you ever get that PTR rating problem solved we were emailing each other about? Anything happen?

Yes, static stretching before a proper warm-up is not good!!!!

ffrpg
06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I know this sounds dumb but, what is static stretching?

Static stretching is when you stretch to your furthest point and hold that position. Sort of like when you stretch out your legs. When you reach for you toes with your hands and hold that stretch, that's static stretching.

Bungalo Bill
06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I know this sounds dumb but, what is static stretching?

There are many articles on the internet regarding static stretching and dynamic stretching. I am in agreement with Mahboob that static stretching should be done after a workout.

Read this to form your own conclusions.

http://www.advantagesoccer.net/articles/Static_Dynamic_Flexibility.htm