PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with flat players when you like the spin

takeuchi
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
So i have found that i really suck against flat ballers. I've managed to get back the shots by really bending almost touching the ground. But i am unable to make good offensive shots this way.

What are some good strategies to get the ball in my strike zone(generally waist and higher, i use a sw-grip and hit with a lot of spin)?

Would doing some moonballs with a lot of spin help? The flat hitters i play usually have trouble with higher balls.

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Moonballs ARE effective, especially to an opponent's backhand. Or even their forehand for flat hitters.

Reason being it's going to be HARD to get their normal flat shots on those high balls, meaning whatever you'll get certainly won't be as flat. Also, the flat-hitters tend to be using Eastern grips, which are ideal for them. It's hard to handle high balls with that. Some adjust to a SW or Western grip for the high balls, but once again, these balls aren't coming back flat.

Flat balls are hard for a lot of people that use lots of spin themselves. I don't think you really have to bend down as much as you are, but you should bend your knees down somewhat and drive more through the ball rather than brushing up. For those flat, low balls, getting under is hard. When you can, load on the topspin. Keep it out of their comfort zone. But when dealing with it, it makes it easier if you don't go for all the spin you're used to.

Rickson
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
So i have found that i really suck against flat ballers. I've managed to get back the shots by really bending almost touching the ground. But i am unable to make good offensive shots this way.

What are some good strategies to get the ball in my strike zone(generally waist and higher, i use a sw-grip and hit with a lot of spin)?

Would doing some moonballs with a lot of spin help? The flat hitters i play usually have trouble with higher balls.
You can either use a more open grip like the eastern or you can keep the semi and take the ball more in front of you. Taking the ball in front will give you a natural feel when you open your face for those low balls.

Kathy
06-09-2005, 05:31 PM
There are a number of things you can try. What's best depends on your game and theirs.

One solution is to takeover the midcourt and play shots on the rise. Attack the net when possible.

Another possibility is to use underspin, or occassional underspin. Flat hitters may well return that with a little topspin. Then you roll the ball back with heavy topspin and they hit the fence with it.

I agree about the moonballs. They will probably come back with enough topspin to make it easy for you to load up some heavy topspin.

Flat hitters have trouble with heavy topspin. You want to draw shots that either enable you disregard the spin (by playing the ball on the rise or on the fly) or enable you to hit with a good deal of topspin.

Try stretching him out, too. Some players give you just what you want when you do that.

takeuchi
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
thanks for the tips.

I don't think taking it on the rise will work out because i'm usually pinned down on the baseline and their shots are so flat i'm basically already hitting it on the rise.

Tried a little net play with some success, will probably investigate this a little further.

The underspin approach kind of scares me a bit since it will probably end up right in their strike zone. But i'll also experiment with this as well.

I also try to deal with flat ones by using the reverse forehand especially on the run. But it seems very inconsistent, but its the only way i can put some spin on it since i don't have time to get low to the ball(on the run). Do you think i should continue this way or maybe trying an eastern-like swing with a sw grip?

TwistServe
06-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Learn to rip the low ball with some mad spin like TennsDog loves so much.. I personally had my coach hit me fast flat balls and real low sharp slices over and over and over..

The trick is to use the pace of the ball that's coming and instead of going through the ball as much, just brush the hell up. It can easily be done with a western grip if you time it right and don't go throught he ball as much.

eLterrible
06-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I'd suggest hitting a high deep ball to their backhand and approaching the net...I dunno, i suck so i wouldn't take my advice too seriously, it's how i handle flat hitters/pushers so wutever.

Chris.L
06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Well, i am a flat hitter. I can tell you. Mix up your play, don't let a flat hitter (me) find rythm or dictate. High balls to my flat backhand don't bother me too muich because i have long arms and can really hit them hard, however.... high balls to my flat forehand i do not enjoy so much - i never do anything effective with them.
Hit slice low to a flat hitters backhand, it is harder to get under the ball with two hands... although again, in my scenario... it stuggle more with the forehand as its my weakness. Normal flat hitters will not enjoy low balls to their backhand.
I suppose, in general, high balls are very hard to control for the flat hitter.... they have not much topspin to drop the ball into the court... more often then not you will get a very short reply to play with.
I think the general key is keep the ball out of waist height where they can use those flat strokes... keep them moving and use a variety of spins.... then they must be very good to beat you! ;)