PDA

View Full Version : Tips for hitting shots on the rise?

nViATi
06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for some tips for hitting shots on the rise. With my eastern grip i killed by topspin whenever i don't move back enough.

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Didn't you mention an extreme western grip somewhere? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person.

Eastern grip should often force you to take it somewhat on the rise, in order to keep the low contact zone. I don't have too much to say other than SHORTENING the backswing. However, don't shorten your followthrough.

With an Eastern grip, it's much harder to move back. With balls with lots of topspin, or any depth +topspin, you'll have to back up close to the fence to keep it comfortable. In some cases, you won't be able to hit successfully and hit the fence. Move in, I'm glad you're trying to start taking it earlier.

Abbreviate the takeback, maybe even to just the side of your body rather than behind you.

TennsDog
06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know if it is good advice, but I find I hit balls on the rise better if I actually take my eyes off of the ball sooner than otherwise. Focus, too, on hitting through it more than adding spin, otherwise the ball can push your racket around more than you would like. Make sure you bend your knees well and keep your wrist(s) firm. Try to keep the ball relatively low (within 3-4 feet of the net), otherwise you can easily lose control and send it long. Lastly, the timing is already very difficult, so don't try to change the direction, just hit it back in the same direction from which it came. One thing that also helps a lot is practice. ;)

thejackal
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
I get better results if I stay low and not transfer my weight prematurely (and framing or mis-hitting it).

nViATi
06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
thanks for all the tips. can't wait to try them out tomorrow =]

FREDDY
06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
get your racket back once you see that it is gonna be high. move up and once it bounces ( the very second it touches the floor ) you know its gonna kick up with topspin so you hit through the ball. when your warming up during your rally with a person try to use the bounce hit method.

waves2ya
06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Work on half volleys; get the rythym of a good half volley (sound: quick 'bup, bup') - and back up more. Before you know it, you'll be at the baseline and you'll be hitting on the rise...

erik-the-red
06-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Taking shots on the rise is a rhythm thing.

Tell yourself mentally, "Bounce, hit."

That's what I told myself when I started to do this a year ago.

The problem is, it's a rhythm thing. Play a slicing, dicing pusher and you can't do this.