PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the Heat

Chris Evert-Awful
06-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm fairly fit, but in the last few weeks, when playing in the scorching heat, my heart races upon chasing down a ball. I'm starting to worry that I have internal bleeding or something ominous. How do others negotiate playing in the heat, or should it even be a factor in a fit player?

nViATi
06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
it's all mental. it comes down to how much you want to win and how far you are willing to go to achieve it.
(well as long as you drink enough water so you don't die lol ;) )

Kana Himezaki
06-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Heat is a large factor, whoever's able to deal with it better when scorching usually wins the match. I believe that's what the Gasquet/Nadal match was like, Gasquet said he simply couldn't take it.

It's natural to get exhausted much quicker when it's hot.

Clothing is a HUGE factor in heat. This is where specifically made tennis clothes help a lot. You want lots of white (reflects light, black absorbs it), and the shirts help your skin "breathe" a lot better. Plus they feel looser, don't stick to your body, and give you maximum ventilation and whatever else to keep you cool as possible.

Also, on every changeover, or whenever you can, make sure you keep yourself hydrated. Keep drinking. It'll cool you down and help ease the sun a little bit. Do this whenever possible.

nViati - Yes, desire helps. However, it's not a large part when the sun is continually beating down upon you. No matter how much you want to get to the ball, you're going to be exhausted and feeling the effects of the sun fast.

Chris Evert-Awful
06-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks. I think that's a bit facile, though, nVIATI. There are some empirical physiological things happening, independent of whether or not I have the "eye of the tiger."

Chris.L
06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I for one, cannot handle the heat. I cannot handle the wind.
I do not winge... but i become sooo lethargic in the heat. I fell the energy sapped from me at 2-2 in the first set....

tennis-n-sc
06-10-2005, 05:01 AM
You want to see how quickly the "eye of the tiger" fades, look into the eyes of someone with a heat stroke or have one yourself. Mixing heat and humidity can be deadly and everyone should be familar with the early signs. Better to walk off the court at 2-2 in the first set than have to carried off. I live in South Carolina and have played in Georgia a lot. The first hot days of summer usually hit in late May and early June along with very high humidity. Players have not had the opportunity acclimate their bodies to the changes and this can be dangerous. I always do better in August when I have adapted to the heat. Be careful!

stc9357
06-10-2005, 05:08 AM
I live in NC and I love the heat because I know it doesn't effect me I'd rather play at the hottest part of the day rather then the morning because I know my opponent will not be able to top me in a long match. Today its supposed to be 90 and later this week in the mid 90's.

Exile
06-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Play in 114 degree heat.

If you drink water only when you are thirsty, you are behind in water.

highsierra
06-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I have played a few times in the past several weeks when the temperature was in the low 90s, the court temperature was probably near 100. Here're some tips to share. There is a small mental part but the bigger issue is how far your body can take you in the heat. Only few people have the fitness to run marathon. True playing tennis too. You don't play tennis for a living so don't kill yourself.

Take breaks more often.

Drink Gatorade or other sports drinks with calories and sodium. I emptied a half gallon bottle of Gatorade last time I played for 2 hours. My body could definitely feel the difference between Gatorade and just water.

Have adequate sleep the night before.

It also takes some time for your body to get adjusted. You'll feel better after 3 or 4 times of playing in the heat.

kevhen
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I hate playing in the heat and getting that heart racing feeling. When that starts to happen, I try to tell myself to calm down and relax and just run to each ball without getting so excited and elevating my heart rate. When I have gotten used to the heat and not so nervous, I think my heart rate actually stays much lower which helps to keep one cooler. Just try to relax, easier said than done!