PDA

View Full Version : Yet another grip building question.

matchpoints
04-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Just got my racquets in. They are 4 3/8's. I think I should have gotten a 4 1/2 and used a thin over grip.

What's the best way to increase one grip size?

Should I just use a thick overgrip and then add another over grip?

If so, what's a good thick over grip to use? I have some Babolat VS over grip but that stuff is thin. Any other babolat overgrip i can use?

I can't believe I didn't check on the grip size before ordering. I forgot I had my older racquets grips built up using cloth tape under the cushion grip.

marc tressard
04-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Relax, no reason to panic at all! With a thickler basic grip and/or one (1) thicker over grip, your problem is history. Many players buy one size smaller and do this. othweise some find the correct size ends up a mite too big! In fact, it is better to add a thick over than to worry about having a grip too large. There are several thick .75mm overgrips e.g., Gamma Supreme, and Babolat Stripy etc. that will solve most of your problem. Wilson once sold a "Fat Wrap" standard grip that added almost a grip size! If you wrap with a bit more overlap one of these thick overgrips, your problem is solved. Finally you can find a What- a-Grip Cushion or standard, a ***** to slide. Withthat you must use an over grip because it lasts about 10 minutes otherwise. The Bab VS is one of the thinnest, used by those who want no grip size change. You have many easy options.

Rackethead
04-21-2004, 05:32 AM
Contact TW and see if they will take an exchange

joe sch
04-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Try a 1/8 heat shrink since this is the best way to buildup a solid grip, if you dont like it then it can also be removed

matchpoints
04-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Where do you get the heat shrinks from?

How much do they weigh? I know I need to add a little weight to the handle anyways. Maybe this might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

matchpoints
04-22-2004, 12:43 PM
another thing, the cushion grip is too cushiony. I think i'm going to replace it with some Babolat leather grip. How much more weight am i looking at? I need more handle weight anyways. SO any ideas where I can buy some shrink wraps??

Marc, another issue is that the Babolat PC has a long handle. Regualr tournagrip won't make it even if i stretch it.

Keroppi
04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
give leather a try, plus a overgrip. it feels better, u dont loose the bevels, and it will solve ur problems.

matchpoints
04-22-2004, 07:49 PM
playing with the euro pro staffs with that fairway leather is making me want to stick to it. The cushion grip that came with my Babolat PC is really soft and cushiony. It's hard to feel the bevels especially with the 2 over grips i had on there (I still needed another thin overgrip).

Cheers guys. I'm going to be ordering the heat shrink sleeves tomorrow and getting the leather grips. The PC was a bit light for me anyways. WHat a way to add weight ;)

bigserving
04-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Tennis Warehouse sells heat shrink sleeves for two bucks! They come in half and full sizes and they are easy to install.

If you don't like them, they are also easy to remove. Do a search on the site and you will find them.

wahiawaboi668
04-23-2004, 10:08 PM
matchpoint, TW has xtra long tourna grip. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=98

Slava
04-25-2004, 07:35 PM
How much weight would a 1/2 size heat shrink sleeve add to the frame?

matchpoints
04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
7-8 grams for half size (1/16), 14-16 grams for one full size increase 1/8 )