PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray's racket

Welsh Wizard
06-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Whilst Murray was playing yesterday, I noticed that it appears that he isn't using a standard iradical as the PJ suggests. He has the CAP grommet commonly found in the iprestige. Isn't it a bit odd that his PJ is of an older racket. It makes more sense for him to use the prestige as it is a heavier frame.

Also, why do the top Head pros have a black buttcap with a silver Head logo when the stock models are always different. Is it purely for advertising or is it a special 'perk' of being a pro? I needed to replace one of mine not so long ago so phoned Head and asked for one of thsoe and was told they aren't available to buy.

Rob_C
06-10-2005, 04:04 AM
If he is using the I Radical MP I think the CAP grommets from the I Prestige MP will fit. I've read here that all of the 98" HEAD rackets with an 18 x 20 pattern can use the same grommets. I just got the CAP grommets to use on my Pro Tours. I havent tried it out yet cause the grommets are still good.

later

BLiND
06-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Maybe he wanted more weight in the i Radical, so added the cap gromets?

Also, the they are 95", not 98" :-)

uk_skippy
06-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Mr. Murray use to use the I.prestige. Strange he's moved to the i.rad. As BLiND as said, maybe he wanted the extra stiffness of the i.rad, but with the extra weight of the CAP grommets. CAPs weigh about 28grams. Add that to the i.rads unstrung weight of 295g, and then add string weight, approx 15g, you'll get a total of approx 340g. This is heavier than the standard i.pres weight of 335g strung.

Again as said by Rob C, CAP grommets from any of Head's 98" rqts with 18x20 will fit other Head rqts with the same headsize/string pattern. I've used the PT630 CAP's on Ti Rads before the i.Pres came out. The i.pres CAPS fit better than PT630 CAPs on Ti & i.rads.

Wouldn't mind seeing them on a FP Rad mid+.

BLiND-Head's 630/Midplus headsize is 98". The 600/mid is 93". See Head's website.

I'll be stringing at Wimbledon for the weekend before it starts. It'll be nice to get my hands on Andy's rqt, although it may still not be obvious as to what rqt it really is.

Paul

Jonnyf
06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Uk_skippy could you please get some photo's or his autograph if you meet him i'd even pay you

uk_skippy
06-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Jonnyf - I'll see what I can do, but cant promise anything. We expect to be busy stringing due the practice and Wimbledon starting on the Monday.

I'll let you know on Monday 20th June

Paul

Jonnyf
06-10-2005, 09:20 AM
thanks alot paul even if it isn't about this feel free to drop me an e-mail on forrest.jonny@gmail.com

datsveryinterestin
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
andy murray used to use the I-radical without the CAP, then tried the LM radical, and now is using the I-Radical with CAP.

But UK, BLIND is probably correct about the head sizes.
A PC600 is only 89.5 sq. inches but for marketing purposes they rounded up to call it 600 sq. cm, and the Prestige MP was not 630 sq. cm either.

Whether the head sizes for Prestige and Radical are the same, I am not sure, but I do know that the Prestige head sizes are small than "advertised'

uk_skippy
06-10-2005, 12:24 PM
But UK, BLIND is probably correct about the head sizes.
A PC600 is only 89.5 sq. inches but for marketing purposes they rounded up to call it 600 sq. cm, and the Prestige MP was not 630 sq. cm either.

Whether the head sizes for Prestige and Radical are the same, I am not sure, but I do know that the Prestige head sizes are small than "advertised'

I take what you've said, and one can take what Head say, but I'd use the companies info first. Head site say that the i.rad mid+ is 98" or 630sq cm, while the i.pres mid is 93" or 600sq cm.

There are those who say that the pt280 is 97" while the pt630 is 98", either way the same CAP grommets fit both.

I have a Ti Rad mid+, a PT280 and a i.pres mid+. I've laid them on top of each other and they are match up in head size. Therefore either they are all 630/98 or they are not. For cost purposes I'd say that Head used the same mould for all those rqts.

But I suppose at the end of the day we're all just nitpicking. The CAP grommets for the PT630/i.pres Mid+ will fit the Ti and i. rads.

Paul

ThunderServe
06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
After Murray destroyed his racket against Johanson (sorry if misspelt) he picked out a new racket and hadn't got a stencil on it.
I'm sure head wern't to happy about that.

bamboo
06-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Don't think they'd paint a racquet to look like a model from three years ago - they'd use flexpoint or lm if it wasn't the real thing.

doriancito
06-11-2005, 09:35 AM
make sure iot isnt a paintjob!

acedu
06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=51007590&cdi=0

TennisD
06-11-2005, 04:42 PM
That last one is a PJ!

ThunderServe
06-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Looks like a Ti radical to me but i might be wrong.

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 04:36 AM
it does look like a Ti.Radical

pstour90
06-12-2005, 06:51 PM
yea i agree

jura
06-13-2005, 01:52 AM
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=51007590&cdi=0
The racket on this picture is definitely an i. prestige MP. The CAP grommets don't fit to the radical mold and the other 98 sq in models with CAP bumper have a different string pattern. So it can only be an i. prestige MP.

uk_skippy
06-13-2005, 05:06 AM
The racket on this picture is definitely an i. prestige MP. The CAP grommets don't fit to the radical mold and the other 98 sq in models with CAP bumper have a different string pattern. So it can only be an i. prestige MP.

Jura, 'fraid I disagree, but not completely. It could be an i.pres with LM pres pj, but it could be a Ti Rad or i.rad. CAP grommets from the i.pre mid+ do fit the Ti and i rad. They are the same headsize and stringing pattern. I've even strung a pro's rqt at Roehampton last year which was (alledgedly) an i.rad but had i.pres CAP grommets. I've strung my own Ti and i. rad with CAP grommets and in fact the i.pres ones fit better than the PT630 CAPS

You could say that that pro's rqt was an i.pres with a pj of an i.rad, but why pj a rqt that is out of production?? But that brings us back to the original Q of this post. Mayb Andy Murray prefers the set up of an i.rad with CAP grommets.

Paul

jura
06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
...CAP grommets from the i.pre mid+ do fit the Ti and i rad. They are the same headsize and stringing pattern. ...
Really!? That's one of the things I never tried. But all tries in cases like this (PT CAP on Ti. Radical, PC 600 CAP on I. prestige mid) didn't fit. So I didn't expect that the i. prestige MP CAP fit to the radical mold. Even because the radical frame is a bit higher. But I trust you if you practiced it by yourself.

Hey, you use the TF T-Fight 315!?!? Great stick! I also play this racket, but I modified it to 69,5 cm length and 350 gr. unstrung.

uk_skippy
06-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Jura,

The PT CAP does fit on the Ti rad, but the bottom grommets only just about fit (length). The i.pres CAPs are better.

My TF315's are weighted to 342g strung. What string you using in them?

Paul

BLiND
06-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Sorry guys but I've played with Prestige Mid, MP, Radical MP... and many many others, and compaired the head sizes.

Head are lying,... the Prestige Mid is not 93", its 89.5", and the MP is not 98", its 95", or as close as it is to any other 95"... it goes the same for the Radical MP, I've measured them all.

Take any Prestige Mid, and compair it to a Wilson Tour 90", or any 90", and you'll see its smaller.

uk_skippy
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Sorry guys but I've played with Prestige Mid, MP, Radical MP... and many many others, and compaired the head sizes.

Head are lying,... the Prestige Mid is not 93", its 89.5", and the MP is not 98", its 95", or as close as it is to any other 95"... it goes the same for the Radical MP, I've measured them all.

Take any Prestige Mid, and compair it to a Wilson Tour 90", or any 90", and you'll see its smaller.

BLiND, I hear what you're saying. However i) How did you get to the measurement of 89.5"? ii) Whose to say that Wilson's Tour 90 really is 90"? After all you're only comparing to rackets, unless you're making the Wilson the control rqt. iii) Maybe there's a mathematic formula to calculate the correct headsize iv) If there's a formula as in iii then you'd get a different result if you took the inside of the hoop as compared to the outside.

Again, we're all just nit-picking over size and we know where that leads!!

Paul

BLiND
06-17-2005, 03:03 AM
I've compaired it to a Tou 90, a Vantage Custom 90" & a RDX500 Mid... its not EXACTLY 89.5", but its slightly smaller than an all of these 90's... so it could be 89", but is only a slight different, doubt its a full 1" difference... but it is smaller.

jura
06-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Jura,
My TF315's are weighted to 342g strung. What string you using in them?
Paul
I string it with TF Spinfire Maxipower 1.25 mains and TF X-One Biphase 1.24 crosses. Tension is 23/20 kp. But I will probably change to the T-Fight 325 the next weeks.

uk_skippy
06-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi guys

Just got back from stringing at Wimbledon and managed to string Andrew Murray's rqts.

I'll post all the news, pics etc tomorrow

Paul

uk_skippy
06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi guys

right here we go..........

Andy Murray's rqts are, and I'm 95% sure, are i.radicals with the i.prestige CAP grommets. The paint work is that of a proper i.radical. The gold ovals at the throat are slightly dipped like a real i.rad and not painted on like some of the i.pres pj's. I strung 1 of the rqts with Alu power mains and BDE gut crosses at 61 lbs, and the other at 62lbs. He uses a L3 4 3/8 grip and the grip was a Karakal super pu grip similar to Henman's.

As for pictures

http://www.theracquetstringer.co.uk/murrayrqtonmachine1.jpg
http://www.theracquetstringer.co.uk/murrayandme.jpg

I do have a couple of the pics of Andy's rqts in you're interested, only side shots. Email me for them.

Also got a pic of Myskina's FP Instinct PJ and Monfils LM Prestige Pj's.

Any info you'd like to know I'll try and help with.

Oh, and JonnyF, got Mr. Murray's autograph on the BDE package.

Paul

Jonnyf
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
awesome please please e-mail me pics etc on forrest.jonny@gmail.com

RafaN RichardG
06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
can u post the fp instinct pics

uk_skippy
06-21-2005, 05:05 AM
Rafa

I have 1 pic. I'll let you know the url later

The FP holes are painted like the LM ridges. Its a normal instinct though. We still saw quite a few proper FP instincts though.

Paul

uk_skippy
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Ok, the url for the Myskina rqt is

http://www.theracquetstringer.co.uk/myskinainstinctrqt.jpg

It's not a brilliant foto as I had to use my camera fone, but you should be able to see that there aren't FP holes.

Paul

newracketagain??
06-21-2005, 05:18 PM
what string does andy use ?? and at what tension ? also.. is myskina's pj a painted LM instinct or something else ??

im thinking of getting a I radical as my PD IS an arm buster .. what do they play like ??

also i DOubt very much that HEAD sponsor andy, if he is using an old frame.... on the image where he is using a LM pj, the photo is from wimbledon boys juniors 2004 !!!

AndrewD
06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
what string does andy use ?? and at what tension ? also.. is myskina's pj a painted LM instinct or something else ??

im thinking of getting a I radical as my PD IS an arm buster .. what do they play like ??

also i DOubt very much that HEAD sponsor andy, if he is using an old frame.... on the image where he is using a LM pj, the photo is from wimbledon boys juniors 2004 !!!

Mate, Head would be crazy not to sponsor him, even if he was using an old Head Edgewood. His mum is the current (I think she still holds the position) Scottish National Tennis coach so it'd be a huge two for one deal.

If you go down to the challenger or even futures circuits you'll see a lot of the Head sponsored players still using the old i-series frames. I think in most cases they get the paintjob -assuming they dont want to switch to the new frames- when they start to make a mark on the main tour. The one exception would be Santoro who used the i-Radical but I dont think he has sponsorship (never see a logo on his frame).

Anyway, the i-Rads are very light, play with a bit of stiffness and a good racquet to customise due to that light weight and low swingweight. If you enjoy Head racquets I think, just my opinion, that the i-Rad is the last decent frame they made with the possible exceptions of the LM Prestige and LM Instinct. I found the i-Rad to be a far more playable and comfortable frame than the LM Rad and far more enjoyable than the FlexPoint. Fantastic price on them in the States - around $65- but not sure what they go for in your neck of the woods.

Perhaps bears a slight resemblance to the Dunlop 300G (specs are almost identical) but I thought the i-Rad had a nicer feel to it.

uk_skippy
06-22-2005, 04:39 AM
[QUOTE=newracketagain??]what string does andy use ?? and at what tension ? also.. is myskina's pj a painted LM instinct or something else [??QUOTE]

As previously mentioned, his rqts were strung with BB Alu power mains with BDE natural gut crosses. I strung 1 at 61lbs and 1 at 62lbs.

Myskina's instinct is and normal instinct with a FP pj

Paul

Steve F.
06-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Nice thread here Paul.

Quick questions: What does Murray's racquet weight in at? I'd be surprised if there wasn't any customization with such a light stock stick. Also, he looks like a giant in that pic with you - think he's bigger than the 6'1" they list him as, or have you come to us from Middle Earth ;) Thanks -

uk_skippy
06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Steve

Didnt get round to weighing it. Hopefully he'll still be around the middle of next week when I'm there next. If so I weigh it. We should be under less pressure to get the rqts out.

Andy is tall. I'm about 5' 9" and I'm guess he's still growing, but I aint no hobbit ;-)

Jonnyf
06-23-2005, 10:27 AM
so did YOU get to string A-rod's if you do you know who to Call lol

uk_skippy
06-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Jonnyf

nope didn't get his. I think he uses another groups of stringers, and not the Tournament stringers.

I'll email you soon so you can give me your address to send the signed string packet

Paul

Jonnyf
06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
ok if you don't want to it's chill e-mail me on forrest.jonny@gmail.com

Cobrien
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Don't the biggest players have their own stringers who do that for them.

Jonnyf
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes but alot don't Agassi certainly does

Cobrien
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I remeber jonnymac talking about them and I think he mentioned that Roddick had jis own stringer. It's not bad for some people.

Jonnyf
06-24-2005, 01:17 PM
well if you get the stringjob i just got then you'd want your own

(callum e-mail me plz )

jonas-the-ball-basher
06-27-2005, 04:52 AM
CAPs weigh about 28grams. Add that to the i.rads unstrung weight of 295g, and then add string weight, approx 15g, you'll get a total of approx 340g. This is heavier than the standard i.pres weight of 335g strung.

That's not exactly true, since you would have to take of the I Radical's original grommets as well, they probably weigh something like 15 grams, so you'll end up with an 325 grams I Radical.

uk_skippy
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
That's not exactly true, since you would have to take of the I Radical's original grommets as well, they probably weigh something like 15 grams, so you'll end up with an 325 grams I Radical.

Jonas, well spotted. I forgot to deduct the old grommets from the equation. So I guess one would take about 15gs off my total which would end up a roughly what you've said. Should I get a chance this week, I'll weigh up Andy's rqt.

I did weigh V.Hansecu's LM Radical pj and it weighed around 350g. I didn't see any lead so draw you're own conclusions.

Paul

westy
12-01-2005, 12:05 AM
can you buy CAP grommets from anywhere in the UK?

uk_skippy
12-01-2005, 04:36 AM
can you buy CAP grommets from anywhere in the UK?

Do you mean from retailers or string suppliers?

I can get them for you if you're after them.

Regards

Paul

westy
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
would they fit any 98 square inch head?

uk_skippy
12-01-2005, 09:05 AM
would they fit any 98 square inch head?

They should fit any Head 98 sq.in. rqt with a 18x20 string pattern. What rqt do you want them to fit?

Paul

westy
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
yonex rdx 300, realised after i posted my last post it woudnt fit because of the different string patterns, are there any 16x19 CAP grommets?

uk_skippy
12-02-2005, 04:46 AM
yonex rdx 300, realised after i posted my last post it woudnt fit because of the different string patterns, are there any 16x19 CAP grommets?

Head grommets will not fit Yonex rqts even if they did make a 16x19 CAP set. Head grommets only fit Head rqts! They have a different head shape.

Volly master
12-11-2005, 01:36 PM
i'm glad its still in stock, i was thinking about buying it for my friend for christmas who is Crazy for this kid

jamumafa
12-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Why did Murray use the Liquidmetal in the D-Cup tie vs Isreal (?) in the doubles...but is not using it now? Is it just because he didnt like it?

Jonnyf
12-12-2005, 09:58 AM
For a RBS event he was at when he was awarded ~Scottish Sports Personality of The Year award he had a Flexpoint (probs pj) in his hand but don't think he was really playing

uk_skippy
12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Why did Murray use the Liquidmetal in the D-Cup tie vs Isreal (?) in the doubles...but is not using it now? Is it just because he didnt like it?

Andy was using the i>rad for that match. If you check gettyimages.com and search in the sports section for "murray israel" you'll get a few pics including one where he is pictured with D.Sherwood, his partner for the doubles, you'll see his rqt is and i.read and not a LM pj.

regards

paul