PDA

View Full Version : playing a friend in a tournament

tennisbiz333
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi, I was wondering if you had any experience/tips on playing someone that you are really good friends with? This kid started me out in tennis and im sort of afraid to beat him(we're very close skill wise) for some wierd reason. Does anyone have any tips on how to play this kid because he is also kind of a pusher.

Thanks

FREDDY
06-10-2005, 07:52 PM
the student has surpassed the masteR?

friedalo1
06-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Give it a 100% when you play him. When you beat him, he will respect you more. I use to let my friend beat me. I dont do it no more. I beat them 6-0, they respect me more. one time I beat a top five Junior 6-0 6-0. He was mad. I played his dad and beat him 6-0 6-0. They started to respect me more as a good tennis player. Tennis player only respect you when you show how good you are. Losing is not showing respect, rather disrespect. Try your best and beat him.

TwistServe
06-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Make sure you double begal him. I don't care if I lose to a stranger but I refuse to lose to a friend.

Exile
06-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Pwn him and get it over with.... unless you want him to hold a win over your head.

Bungalo Bill
06-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi, I was wondering if you had any experience/tips on playing someone that you are really good friends with? This kid started me out in tennis and im sort of afraid to beat him(we're very close skill wise) for some wierd reason. Does anyone have any tips on how to play this kid because he is also kind of a pusher.

Thanks

There are many ways you can handle this. In the end, remain good friends. There is a lot of tips on this board on how to play a pusher. A pusher will test a players, footwork, footspeed, and mental strength. Try not to overhit and hit most of your shots relaxed and with purpose. Use your rally stroke a lot and move the ball around. Do this until you get that short ball or find him out of position to take control of the point.

The most important part is making sure you make the right shot selection for every shot. If you miss but have made the right shot choice, you should feel good about it because your practices will have more purpose.

stc9357
06-11-2005, 08:50 AM
When I play a freind I go out on the court to kill him give him two big donuts with sprinkles all over it. When I'm on the court if your my friend I live that outside the court because I hate losing and losing to a friend would be even worse. I'm always super competive on the court and I always go for blood. Never give a opponent a sympathy game just destroy his ***.

takeuchi
06-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Don't ever let up. You'll be kicking yourself in the pants if you do.

I find playing friends a lot easier than people i don't know. It's so much more relaxing and I play a way better.

You should also be familiar with his game! Use this to your advantage by giving him balls he has troubles with. Attack the weakness!

Exile
06-11-2005, 12:00 PM
give him two big donuts with sprinkles all over it.

He doesn't deserve sprinkles.

Shiro
06-11-2005, 03:16 PM
double baggle him, and don't even try to make it close , cause you'll have that hanging over your head to, beside him saying that he wasn't playing his best(ahum)

ATXtennisaddict
06-11-2005, 04:37 PM
It's not personal,it's tennis.

pascal
06-11-2005, 05:04 PM
if he is your friend,play your best.if that means you beat him,so be it.

krnboijunsung
06-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Your not doing any favors to anyone if you hold back. You end up losing, and your friend ends up winning a fake match. Just play and have fun. If he gets all ****ed off over a lost match over a friend, then that's not good sportsmanship. You can of course understand if he/she feels disappointed after the match, but in the long run it won't make much of a difference.

For pushers, the best strategy is net play. What pushers do of course is hit everything back. But if you stay at baseline like the other person does, then it all comes down to who's the better pusher, and that can become quite a fustrating match.

When you play up at net, it takes half the time to hit the ball back. There will be passing shots, and winners go past you. Netplay isn't invincible, but it is the best way to make a long, grueling match against a pusher, a very short match.

Another tactic is use variety in your shots. Anything you can do pull it off. Dropshots, slices, topspin, flat shots. When you use that many different types of hits, it makes the opponent second guess where to go next. He wonders where the ball will go, how high, which way is it gonna spin. Pusher's can be put under pressure by variety.