PDA

View Full Version : how much time....

FREDDY
06-10-2005, 08:50 PM
how much time do you get on the cross over break when its like 2-1 or 3-0?? you know when you get to sit down and think about what your gonna do next while wiping your sweat and grabbing water.

Kana Himezaki
06-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Usually after three games like that I just walk to the other side. In big matches I'll take a break, collect myself, go over the guy's weaknesses, and move on. Maybe get water if I have to.

I'll also usually take a break if I'm losing, because collecting myself is even more important.

If I've found a rhythm, or am doing well, I skip the crossover break altogether if I can. I want to keep the rhythm as much as possible.

So, for an actual time...usually about 30 seconds, a minute tops. Maybe two if it's a long match and everyone's exhausted.

papa
06-11-2005, 08:51 AM
The correct answer is 90 seconds between games, 120 seconds after a set - longer break after the third set if prearranged/announced prior to the start of play (this can be up to a 10 minute rest period). There is no rest period after the first game of a set on the changover.

Doesn't mean you have to take this amount of time but thats the maximum. I wouldn't get in the habbit of skipipng breaks because thats not how the game is played in any kind of formal match situation. So, if you get in the habbit of just standing out there thinking your going to rush the other guy, forget it - you'll be standing there at least 90 seconds. Incidently, the time is measured from the end of the "last" point to when the serve takes place - doesn't mean you get to sit down for 90 seconds.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-11-2005, 09:05 AM
does anyone know what the penalty for taking too long is for grand slam/masters tournamnets? It doesn't seem to be a very strict. Anyone ever been pinged for it?

krnboijunsung
06-11-2005, 06:57 PM
You get a warning.