PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever practice with dead balls then play a match?

Robert Jones
04-21-2004, 09:56 AM
I have been helping my nephews get into tennis. The night before a league match I'm out hitting dead balls in cold weather.

The next night in league I'm blasting all the balls long and its over before I can get a handle on the power issue. I think hitting the dead balls hurt my game.

I'm thinking whats the point of hitting dead balls. Too costly to buy new all the time. The 3 clubs in my area use ball machines and the balls there are not lively either.

I don't think the clubs get free balls so they must use them till they don't bounce.

Wondering what most people do to practice. Do you just buy new balls every day and throw out the old?

djbrown
04-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Invest in high quality pressureless balls. The Tretorn Micro-X comes to mind. They basically remain just as lively as new balls until you hit them so much the felt comes off.

baselined
04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
I practice with the pressureless Wilson balls and granted, they last forever. But is it just me or do these pressureless balls feel heavier when you hit them.

Like the fellow mentioned above when he hits deadballs in practice and in the weekend match he hits long...I feel the same way when I practice with pressureless balls the night before a match, I tend to hit more balls long. Is it in my head or do the pressureless balls really weigh a tad bit more or possibly just a more dense composite?

uk_skippy
04-24-2004, 04:27 AM
Our club, like most in the area (Im in the UK) use new balls for every home club match. Then thes balls are used by the club members at club mix-in sessions. We average about 1 home game a week so there is always plenty of newish balls around. If you want to play against another member out of these times, you supply your own balls.

RipinRandy
04-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Yea, Sometimes I feel like the princess and the pea, but I hate hitting with old balls. I don't have much money so I don't mention it to my hitting partners.(Even though they are doctors and business men they are tighter than me :shock:) It is fun to crush them and they stay in, but probably the worst possible thing for my already full swings.

AndyC
04-27-2004, 01:18 AM
As u've found out dead balls hurt your game. Tennis is a game of muscle memory based on feedback from hitting a ball and if the use of dead balls provide a very different feedback.

I tend to open a fresh can every 10-14 days and go through a can every 3-4 matches. All I can suggest is buy in bulk as they are much cheaper that way as long as you can get through them relatively quickly.

As for pressureless balls.. they don't feel the same to me and hence I don't use them.

They way I see it a can of balls every 7-10 days is the equivalent of a can of coke everyday :). Just drink more water.. it's healthier in the long run anyway!

baselined
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
They way I see it a can of balls every 7-10 days is the equivalent of a can of coke everyday :). Just drink more water.. it's healthier in the long run anyway!

That's the best advice I've ever heard. But what if you already do not drink soda? I guess we go to the next level...beer. :lol:

lesko
04-30-2004, 03:23 PM
Micro-X are good pressureless balls. I also use several Gamma ball pressurizers and have made several large capacity ball pressurizers so I have about 80 balls ready for my ball machine. I can even overpressurize them extra bounce. I like to fill my machine with a variety of balls (micro-x, pressureless, regular, over pressurized, new, dead) to keep it unpredicable.