PDA

View Full Version : $150 for Internet + Cable TV( digital package ) not HD. Way Too MUCH ?

Fedace
12-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I am really frustrated with High cost of Cable TV and Internet service. Even with Special deal on Cable TV-- Paying ~$86 for digital service + 3 movie channels like HBO, showtiime, Cinemax. I don't care for the Movie channels, i only got them because i couldn't get a good deal without it.
I used to pay $20 for High speed Internet, ~10 mb per second. but my deal expired and now i pay $45 per month for that, so all in all about $150 total per month. with NO phone service.

BS BS BS,,,,IMO,,,way too expensive. Does anyone know a cheaper way or more economical way ??? Satellites or AT&T service i suppose but they have high initial connection fees. and Their deal expires in 1 year as well. :(:(:(

Larrysümmers
12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
this isnt going to help, but i am bored. what my dad does is gets the special rates then when that is up goes to a different company, then back again and back and forth. i think this is the 3rd time we have had direct tv.

Bud
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM
I am really frustrated with High cost of Cable TV and Internet service. Even with Special deal on Cable TV-- Paying ~$86 for digital service + 3 movie channels like HBO, showtiime, Cinemax. I don't care for the Movie channels, i only got them because i couldn't get a good deal without it.
I used to pay $20 for High speed Internet, ~10 mb per second. but my deal expired and now i pay $45 per month for that, so all in all about $150 total per month. with NO phone service.

BS BS BS,,,,IMO,,,way too expensive. Does anyone know a cheaper way or more economical way ??? Satellites or AT&T service i suppose but they have high initial connection fees. and Their deal expires in 1 year as well. :(:(:(

Drop your CATV package and just keep the Internet. Then get something like a Roku box, which will allow you to get Netflix (7.99-9.99 per month) and a variety of free stuff on your TV. If you like the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.), you can get them in HD over the air with a fairly inexpensive antenna.

These days, CATV is a big scam.

Fedace
12-31-2010, 12:24 AM
this isnt going to help, but i am bored. what my dad does is gets the special rates then when that is up goes to a different company, then back again and back and forth. i think this is the 3rd time we have had direct tv.

I thought of that. but they are charging some ungodly amount of installation and activation fees for new service.

Fedace
12-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Drop your CATV package and just keep the Internet. Then get something like a Roku box, which will allow you to get Netflix (7.99-9.99 per month) and a variety of free stuff on your TV. If you like the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, etc.), you can get them in HD over the air with a fairly inexpensive antenna.

These days, CATV is a big scam.

What about the most all important Tennis Channel, HBO, all the ESPN channells, CNN, CNN financial, and discovery and History channel ?

Bud
12-31-2010, 12:27 AM
What about the most all important Tennis Channel, HBO, all the ESPN channells, CNN, CNN financial, and discovery and History channel ?

Are those channels worth $100 per month to you? :)

Fedace
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Are those channels worth $100 per month to you? :)

Tennis channel and CNN,,,,definite maybe. Tennis channel has these 1 minute tennis lesson that are incomprehensively valuable. and I learned more about Hitler from the History channel than all of my history classes put together.....

El Diablo
12-31-2010, 07:32 AM
If you look at cable cost a little analytically in terms of content, the price has actually gone down over the years! Why? Because in the 1970s you got perhaps 30-50 channels on cable and now you get at least 500. Cost per unit content has gone down. Is it worth it? If you can do better, take it. (Similar analysis shows the cost of cars has gone down adjusted for inflation. Why? 30 years ago you got no air bags, stability control, disc brakes, shoulder harness, six speed automatic --it was two or three speed then -- ABS, data processing module, standard A/C or power windows, lots of things all cars now contain.)

frunk
12-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Tennis channel and CNN,,,,definite maybe. Tennis channel has these 1 minute tennis lesson that are incomprehensively valuable. and I learned more about Hitler from the History channel than all of my history classes put together.....

I completely agree with this statement.

Sentinel
12-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Move to Asia.

No wait. stay in the US !

Fedace
12-31-2010, 08:26 AM
If you look at cable cost a little analytically in terms of content, the price has actually gone down over the years! Why? Because in the 1970s you got perhaps 30-50 channels on cable and now you get at least 500. Cost per unit content has gone down. Is it worth it? If you can do better, take it. (Similar analysis shows the cost of cars has gone down adjusted for inflation. Why? 30 years ago you got no air bags, stability control, disc brakes, shoulder harness, six speed automatic --it was two or three speed then -- ABS, data processing module, standard A/C or power windows, lots of things all cars now contain.)

agree but 80 % of the channel we don't even know exist and we do not watch. this Monopoly by Comcast must END. It is almost illegal what they are doing,,,,Price Control and sticking it to the customers. If you get Dish service,, is it cheaper for TV and internet ?:confused:

10s talk
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
there are other options such as direct tv, and dish network. If you tell your cable company you are going to switch service you may get a special deal.

In the Washington DC area we can get FIOS, and Comcast. They are always competing, so it keeps the costs down.

SuperDuy
12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Are you serious it costs that much? Thats way too much to pay man for those things. 40$ for those channels, high speed , and phone should be.

mctennis
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
They keep talking about how cheap all these services are but when you group them all together you end up paying $150. If you want cheap TV service you end up getting a bunch of channels that you never watch anyway so you have to go to the most expensive one to get the ones you really do want ( Like The Tennis Channel). At one time they were talking about doing a cafeteria plan where you could pick and choose the channels you wanted. Now THAT would be a great idea ( how many QVC type channels do you need and now we have the additional pleasure of watching Oprah 24/7 for free) but the cable television suppliers didn't like that. The people would definitely not pick a lot of the channels they throw your way as 'gimmies" instead of the ones you truly want. PLUS with the addition of the Oprah 24/7 show they've eliminated Discovery Health channel- one that my daughter watches every day- without moving it to another channel slot. Oprah just bought that channel up to use for her worshipers to tune in to. I mean can you EVER get enough of Oprah?
I also hate bundling your services because, like you see now, once you don't like one you have to change them all. That gets so agonizing to do each time you get mad at one or the other services they have in your bundle. I keep them separate and that way if I get mad at one I can change without causing such an upheaval in all my services. In all are you REALLY saving that much money by putting all your services together? Probably not.
Remember a few years back all the carriers wanting to provide you with your long distance telephone services? I got so tired of seeing those commercials and getting things in the mail. I'm glad that war is over.

tennisnoob3
12-31-2010, 12:39 PM
does your cable provider have a monopoly on the area? who is your cable provider? ive heard decent things about comcast, verizon, and dish/direct. cablevision/io gives free hd with all channels, and free movie tuesdays lol, but im not sure about your local area

Cindysphinx
12-31-2010, 07:04 PM
I dunno, but someone is making a lot of money out of this.

Like Fedace, I am at my wits end. My bill usually runs about $150/month. That pays for two telephone landline (one with economy pricing that charges for each outgoing call), FIOS cable with sports package so I can get tennis channel, and internet.

FIOS is where they get ya. They charge separately for each box (we have four TVs, so four boxes). One box is HD, another box is DVR, and the other two are standard. There is even an extra monthly charge ($15?) so that the boxes will talk to each other.

What burns me up is that they charge for things that cost them *nothing* to provide. Like having the boxes talk to each other requires someone to flip a switch, yet I pay $15 a month for it.

I used to do some work in the telecom industry back when everyone relied on landlines, and it was the same thing. They charged people for features like call waiting and caller ID, when those things were embedded in the switch and cost the company nothing to provide.

Well, every now and then I call Comcast to see if I can get a better deal, and it just cannot be done.

At least Netflix is an awesome deal. That's something, I guess.

Cindy -- whose cell phone bills are truly breathtaking

Cindysphinx
12-31-2010, 07:47 PM
One more thing, Fedace.

Call them up and just ask them what can be done to get your rate lower. I have had them reconfigure because this or that package is on sale. That's how I got my second phone line cheaper -- they didn't even mention the possibility of econoline until I threatened to cancel it.

Also, beware the free premium channels. They make money there hoping you will forget to de-activate them when the discount expires. Set a reminder, or cancel them now if you don't want them.

SoCal10s
12-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I had a HD tv for 3 years and never had HD service from my cable company because they charged extra for HD .. I canceled my TV cable and now I have only internet service.. I bought a antenna from Costco and I have all the free network plus they are HD for free .. I'm gonna get Netflix soon .. the only channels I miss is ESPN and HGTV .. my home phone is on OOMMA and I still have my same number as ever.. I'm still trying to find better ways to watch more without paying the cable company .. next is the internet TV and streaming from all over the world..

BobFL
12-31-2010, 11:01 PM
I pay $115 for sd, hd, dvr, sports package and internet (15Mbps). It used to be $95 few years ago :(

BigServer1
12-31-2010, 11:13 PM
You're paying way too much, and if you don't like the movie channels, drop them. They're the single most expensive part of any cable package.

A midgrade internet speed and non HD cable should run $100 tops.

mctennis
12-31-2010, 11:34 PM
You're paying way too much, and if you don't like the movie channels, drop them. They're the single most expensive part of any cable package.

I agree there. Who really gets their moneys worth by watching the movie channels? I had them for a few years but always found the ones I wanted to watch were either hours before I wanted to see them or days later. Then seems Showtime will run the same movie all day long, ack. I had enough. I cancelled all my movie channels and go rent the videos I truly will watch for $2 at a store down the street and $1 on certain other days. Even that RedBox deal at McDonalds is a better value than any of the movie channels. IMHO

Fedace
12-31-2010, 11:52 PM
^^^I already tried to drop the movie channels. It didn't save any money. Movie channel i got was part of a deal package.