PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for finding an older DVD

mctennis
12-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm trying to find an older DVD to give my friends son as a gag gift. ( he did something like what was in the movie) I've tried fleabay with no success ( I did find it but they wanted $25+ for a video worth about $5 really). I've been online in G oogle and also called a bunch of used DVD stores in my area. Target, Best Buy, Wal Mart are the other ones I tried. I even tried the video stores around me as well, ZERO results. I saw it a few years back in the $5 bin at Wal Mart. I almost bought it then for my kids to watch again. It is a goofy little movie with Cory Haim in it, "License To Drive" . I figured since he has passed away that's the reason it is so expensive. Of course that one movie is about the only one of his not currently available anywhere.
Any other suggestions perhaps or other sites to look at? Strange request I know but now that I can't find it I'm determined to find it for the GP of it. And NO I'm not paying $20+ for the thing. Movie wasn't worth that when it first came out. About $5-8 plus shipping is all it's truly worth.
Thanks.

jswinf
01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I hesitate to mention it 'cause it's so obvious, but have you tried Amazon? They've got this "marketplace" thing with used books, videos, etc. from different sellers, but under Amazon's umbrella. I've used it quite a few times to find older stuff or just to get a good price on something used. (Like a tennis book.)

mctennis
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I hesitate to mention it 'cause it's so obvious, but have you tried Amazon? They've got this "marketplace" thing with used books, videos, etc. from different sellers, but under Amazon's umbrella. I've used it quite a few times to find older stuff or just to get a good price on something used. (Like a tennis book.)

I've tried there as well. If someone has it they are asking a ton for it as I figure since Cory Haim passed away. Or I can get a VHS version. I'm leery of that because so many VHS tapes aren't that good after a number of years and if it breaks you're SOL. I don't think they even have a VHS machine if I got it for them anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I keep checking those sites every few days just in case. I won't need this til March but I'm trying to find it now.

hollywood9826
01-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Just rent it and copy it. Theres a website where you can even download and print out the actual lables from dvds makes the copy look legit.

I dont see the studio pressing more DVDs out of the factory so you probably wont find it for cheaper that 25-30 bucks.

Ohter than that it would be checking local stores and getting lucky.

JustBob
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
The DVD has been out of print for years which explains why even used copies are expensive. You can find cheaper used copies of the UK and Australian releases(about $20-25) but you'd need a region free DVD player. Your best bet is to check out used DVD stores and hope you get lucky.

mctennis
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Just rent it and copy it. Theres a website where you can even download and print out the actual lables from dvds makes the copy look legit.

I dont see the studio pressing more DVDs out of the factory so you probably wont find it for cheaper that 25-30 bucks.

Ohter than that it would be checking local stores and getting lucky.

No one has it to even rent. I've checked that out also. I appreciate the suggestion though.

mctennis
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM
The DVD has been out of print for years which explains why even used copies are expensive. You can find cheaper used copies of the UK and Australian releases(about $20-25) but you'd need a region free DVD player. Your best bet is to check out used DVD stores and hope you get lucky.

It's not that great of a movie just a sort of silly kids movie. I can't see paying that much for it ( $25 plus the shipping). I know there is an issue with the regions and I have to watch that. I learned that a while back and almost bought one that would not played except if I were in another part of the world. I've been calling the used DVD stores around my area. No luck so far. Probably they've all been thrown in the trash, lol. I hate to roam around flea markets. That would be such a huge waste of time I don't have to give. I do appreciate your suggestion also.