PDA

View Full Version : Deciding what is beautiful?

Fandango
01-02-2011, 12:14 AM
This question has been bothering me for about two years now.
I'm a male by the way.

I guess it started when I was approached at MCO airport for a modelling opportunity a couple years ago. I turned it down thinking it was a scam and I was with my tennis coach at the time, who was an all business sort of guy.

As I looked back at it, I found out the management agency-Why not models, is actually a pretty big deal.

I got compliments on my looks a lot in high school, but was always a little insecure about having a lot of scars-I used to skateboard a lot with some tiny scars along my arms, and would have some crazy freak injuries.

What I saw as an opportunity let go, it turned into a competition, being a immature high school student, I was always seeing (from my perspective) how much better I looked than someone else. I simply wanted to be the most handsome man in the world, for some reason, I've felt insecure about it.

That's why I have threads on Brad Pitt-arguably the world's most attractive man, I sometimes wonder why women love him, and to be blunt, there isnít much symmetry about him, and as Iíve analyzed him, I just donít see much. But then there are good pictures of him like the one for the nndb.org if you type in his name, that leaves me frustrated.
This one from the Devilís Own

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa8TKqoVjn667f9Eaw87EmUObawnbs-ZZffzfUJvXwZZjWKwIlsg

I've looked at so many men, not because I'm gay, but because I try to look at them and rationalize why I look better than them. Iíve looked at so many beauty types, from Lars Burmeister, Baptiste Giabiconi, Errol Flynn, Gregory Peck, Jamie Dornan, and the list goes on and on.
One thing Iíve always wondered was the female perspective on them, and why some of them strike me as beautiful and others do not, I wonder what females think of them.
Another thing I feel is that my eyes might be a little small, it would be nice to have huge eyes, after all the thing that lets us see can be the most beautiful thing in the world.
Honestly, I feel very confused about it, maybe Iíve been delusional this whole time, maybe Iím nothing compared to any of them. I just donít know. But all I can say, I hope I donít come off as prideful

So if anyone has any helpful advice, would be wonderful.

mathieu
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM
This question has been bothering me for about two years now.
I'm a male by the way.

I guess it started when I was approached at MCO airport for a modelling opportunity a couple years ago. I turned it down thinking it was a scam and I was with my tennis coach at the time, who was an all business sort of guy.

As I looked back at it, I found out the management agency-Why not models, is actually a pretty big deal.

I got compliments on my looks a lot in high school, but was always a little insecure about having a lot of scars-I used to skateboard a lot with some tiny scars along my arms, and would have some crazy freak injuries.

What I saw as an opportunity let go, it turned into a competition, being a immature high school student, I was always seeing (from my perspective) how much better I looked than someone else. I simply wanted to be the most handsome man in the world, for some reason, I've felt insecure about it.

That's why I have threads on Brad Pitt-arguably the world's most attractive man, I sometimes wonder why women love him, and to be blunt, there isnít much symmetry about him, and as Iíve analyzed him, I just donít see much. But then there are good pictures of him like the one for the nndb.org if you type in his name, that leaves me frustrated.
This one from the Devilís Own

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa8TKqoVjn667f9Eaw87EmUObawnbs-ZZffzfUJvXwZZjWKwIlsg

I've looked at so many men, not because I'm gay, but because I try to look at them and rationalize why I look better than them. Iíve looked at so many beauty types, from Lars Burmeister, Baptiste Giabiconi, Errol Flynn, Gregory Peck, Jamie Dornan, and the list goes on and on.
One thing Iíve always wondered was the female perspective on them, and why some of them strike me as beautiful and others do not, I wonder what females think of them.
Another thing I feel is that my eyes might be a little small, it would be nice to have huge eyes, after all the thing that lets us see can be the most beautiful thing in the world.
Honestly, I feel very confused about it, maybe Iíve been delusional this whole time, maybe Iím nothing compared to any of them. I just donít know. But all I can say, I hope I donít come off as prideful

So if anyone has any helpful advice, would be wonderful.

I don't know what you want advice on. Why don't you post a pic of yourself if your so handsome? Sure to excite 90% of the posters here lol.

SFrazeur
01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Like all people you have insecurities about your physical appearance.

As a guy mentally matures he will understand that a man worth respecting, worth loving is not made by his physical appearance, but moreover by his own actions. By what he is doing with and what he has done with his life.

-SF

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Beauty fades, and dumb lasts forever- Judge Judy

I have no idea what you look like, but the second part seems more appropriate.

Sentinel
01-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Be beautiful from the inside, pal. Love, kindness, friendliness, being respectful to all, forgiving ...

I don't know what your question is. if you are asking how to decide what is beautiful -- a quick superficial answer is -- its your conditioning that decides what you find beautiful (IMO). Not sure there's anything absolute called beauty.

Best wishes.

mathieu
01-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Be beautiful from the inside, pal. Love, kindness, friendliness, being respectful to all, forgiving ...

I don't know what your question is. if you are asking how to decide what is beautiful -- a quick superficial answer is -- its your conditioning that decides what you find beautiful (IMO). Not sure there's anything absolute called beauty.

Best wishes.

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/1/8/Disney-Gaston-181892.jpg

Sentinel
01-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
- Miss Piggy

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
- Miss Piggy

It's actually 'Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder'.

Bartelby
01-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Given the importance of sexual reproduction, the notion of the beautiful is far from superficial.

And given our appreciation of both natural and man-made beauty then once again the beautiful is central to our humanity.

I would admit that Brad Pitt is beautiful, but I don't really think that there is one prototype of beauty.

The other thing that's clear historically is that there's been a feminization of the idea of male beauty, the so-called androgenous look, and Pitt is in this mould.

Sentinel
01-02-2011, 04:04 AM
^^ Try asking Nicole Vaidosova what she thinks is beautiful, then you might get a clearer picture.

albino smurf
01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
IMHO you should accept how you look and try to do your best with it regardless of whether you find yourself attractive or not. Everyone looks better when they are in shape and have a positive attitude and like you have stated event the best looking people are insecure about their looks at times.

dlk
01-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Beauty fades, and dumb lasts forever- Judge Judy

I have no idea what you look like, but the second part seems more appropriate.

Righteous Post. Judge Judy Rules!

r2473
01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
You should have done the modeling gig. I don't know what you look like, but you definately have the personality for it.

By the way, I think you are getting a little fat.

Sentinel
01-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Don't worry, pretty boy. It won't last.

:D

jmverdugo
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Didn't someone already start other 2 threads about Brad Pitt?

EDIT: I just realized, this has to be a joke, but ... this recurrent joke seems like someone's subconcience is sending some rare signals... "not that there's anything wrong with that"

dParis
01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
'Dango, your story is one of the most interesting sub-plots to color TT in some time. It's entertaining to watch this persona develop that makes Derek Zoolander look well-adjusted.

Is the reason you have started this thread in which you contemplate your modeling potential - yet refrain from posting any pictures of yourself - because you can't deal with the criticisms that will result? You owe it to yourself, as well as the entire TT community, to get over your fear and take the natural, logical progression by posting highlights of the Fandango portfolio.

Bartelby
01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Maybe someone's studying too much Judith Butler.

max
01-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Totally aside. As I "mature" I find women's hair very sexy. Nice, thick hair. Of course, there's zilch on top of my poor skull.

dlk
01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I know what not: ear & nose hair, then throw in some outa-controll eyebrows:shock: As the hairline recedes, those areas flourish:(

Fedace
01-02-2011, 02:27 PM
megan Fox will stay beautiful forever..

flyinghippos101
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM

No, the looks are the first to go. Megan Fox is overrated anyway btw :neutral:

sureshs
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM

You are going to be a Talk Tennis Guru pretty soon

subz
01-02-2011, 05:09 PM
'Dango, your story is one of the most interesting sub-plots to color TT in some time. It's entertaining to watch this persona develop that makes Derek Zoolander look well-adjusted.

Lets hope 'Dango can turn left on stage !

mental midget
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
http://bit.ly/9H2PXT

interesting thread, really, wish i could stick around and discuss, but, uh, i forgot, i need to pick up some, um, nilla wafers. in egypt.

(sound of car door slamming)

(sound of tires squealing)

(sound of jet airplane taking off)

Sentinel
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
copycat !!!! :twisted:

Fandango
01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
You should have done the modeling gig. I don't know what you look like, but you definately have the personality for it.

By the way, I think you are getting a little fat.

Yes, I am getting a little fat, but thats after was asked/"discovered"

and idk, honestly I'm afraid of the criticism I'll recieve.

I do post some stupid stuff online like the Brad Pitt threads etc. I really don't want my identity compromised.

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, I am getting a little fat, but thats after was asked/"discovered"

and idk, honestly I'm afraid of the criticism I'll recieve.

I do post some stupid stuff online like the Brad Pitt threads etc. I really don't want my identity compromised.

A beautiful model with self-esteem problems? I thought they were mutually exclusive :razz: ;-) :grin:

Dilettante
01-02-2011, 08:54 PM
My question would be is this serious? And if it is serious, how old are you?

At some point you'll realize you live only once and it's too short to spend the time worrying about stupid things like "I don't look like Brad Pitt".

Anyway, I don't think it's serious so congrats for the funny thread.

SoBad
01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
My advice is come out of your shell and open up a little bit more. I assure you nobody here thinks you’re prideful or delusional. Why do you think your eyes are too small? Did someone tell you your eyes were too small?

Tennis sensation
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
It's actually 'Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder'.

LOL :lol: :lol:

Dilettante
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM
My advice is come out of your shell and open up a little bit more. I assure you nobody here thinks youíre prideful or delusional. Why do you think your eyes are too small? Did someone tell you your eyes were too small?

Would he worry that much if someone point his brain is too small?

SoBad
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Would he worry that much if someone point his brain is too small?

I don't know, but I don't think it is our duty to victimise this allegedly beautiful man by fishing for potential deficiencies in addition to the ones he has already brought to our attention. Then again, I am not too surprised, considering your position regards the tennis youth programs on desolate African islands.

Dilettante
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know, but I don't think it is our duty to victimise this allegedly beautiful man by fishing for potential deficiencies in addition to the ones he has already brought to our attention. Then again, I am not too surprised, considering your position regards the tennis youth programs on desolate African islands.

Precisely, fishing is what African desolate islands need in order to develope. I thought you might have considerated it, specially with your love of the sea stuff.

But you're right, the beautiful man (should we call him B-Man?) is already worried because he's fat and has tiny eyes (starting to look like a hamster in my imagination) so who are we to add more worries to all that undeserved suffering.

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Precisely, fishing is what African desolate islands need in order to develope. I thought you might have considerated it, specially with your love of the sea stuff.

But you're right, the beautiful man (should we call him B-Man?) is already worried because he's fat and has tiny eyes (starting to look like a hamster in my imagination) so who are we to add more worries to all that undeserved suffering.

A very cool word, I like it......I chuckled at the second bolded....:razz: :lol:

Dilettante
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I meant "taken in consideration", is it not well said? I just translated mentally from Spanish.

PD: I'm beautiful though.

LameTennisPlayer
01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I meant "taken in consideration", is it not well said? I just translated mentally from Spanish.

PD: I'm beautiful though.

I'm just playin around buddy, spanglish is very cool I don't mean that sarcastically, but the correct english term is 'considered'. Considerated will catch on....

SoBad
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM

I just thought he deserved a fair hearing. Something you failed when you refused to recognize that Federer won slams because of no competition while Sampras had to contend with great Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Dilettante
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm just playin around buddy, spanglish is very cool I don't mean that sarcastically, but the correct english term is 'considered'. Considerated will catch on....

Haha, "considered", that's right. Don't worry, I'll probably invent more cool words before this thread is abandoned.

I just thought he deserved a fair hearing. Something you failed when you refused to recognize that Federer won slams because of no competition while Sampras had to contend with great Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Touchť. Now I'm forced to give a fair hearing to the chubby hamster. Hope you're happy.

ProgressoR
01-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Like all people you have insecurities about your physical appearance.

As a guy mentally matures he will understand that a man worth respecting, worth loving is not made by his physical appearance, but moreover by his own actions. By what he is doing with and what he has done with his life.

-SF

These are wise words.

For women however its a different bag, they gotta be fit and hot to be worth respecting, that is just the way the world is....

ProgressoR
01-03-2011, 04:51 AM
LOOOL

Heck, i am ugly as hell, and I don't have half the issues this gentleman has. No offence meant.

Sentinel, why dont you have as many issues? what makes you so superior? Perhaps you dont devote enough time to think deeply enough about things to realise that you must have issues to be normal?

Speaking personally, I dont have any issues, and I am perfect. This is certainly not normal.

Sentinel
01-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Sentinel, why dont you have as many issues? what makes you so superior? Perhaps you dont devote enough time to think deeply enough about things to realise that you must have issues to be normal?

Speaking personally, I dont have any issues, and I am perfect. This is certainly not normal.
It is precisely because i have thought deeply enough that i realize that i actually don't have any issues. all these issues are "in the head".

Actually, it is very normal not to have any issues. Here i mean normal not in the statistical sense but in how you feel. Just like a person who has recovered from illness feels right and normal, similarly when you have no "issues", you feel normal.

Nothing superior about it.

max
01-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Who's Megan Fox?

LameTennisPlayer
01-03-2011, 06:44 AM
It is precisely because i have thought deeply enough that i realize that i actually don't have any issues. all these issues are "in the head".

Actually, it is very normal not to have any issues. Here i mean normal not in the statistical sense but in how you feel. Just like a person who has recovered from illness feels right and normal, similarly when you have no "issues", you feel normal.

Nothing superior about it.

So if issues are meant to be 'in the head' yet you don't have any; does that mean your head is empty? Serious question! I find your logic profound and insightful. Thanks. :) :twisted: :lol:

Sentinel
01-03-2011, 08:13 AM
So if issues are meant to be 'in the head' yet you don't have any; does that mean your head is empty? Serious question! I find your logic profound and insightful. Thanks. :) :twisted: :lol:
Wise guy,
If i have no pain in my body or no illness, is my body empty ?
It is as it should be.

LameTennisPlayer
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Wise guy,
If i have no pain in my body or no illness, is my body empty ?
It is as it should be.

This is just too deep for my penduncles....... arghhhhh ahhhh AARRRGGHHHHH!!!

s_andrean
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Audrey Hepburn was really, really beautiful...

Sentinel
01-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Audrey Hepburn was really, really beautiful...
Meryl Streep was my fave .

ProgressoR
01-05-2011, 02:51 AM
^^^ even with that nose? That is a 4 pint nose, you need 4 pints of beer inside you before you stop noticing the nose.

Sentinel
01-05-2011, 03:55 AM
^^^ even with that nose? That is a 4 pint nose, you need 4 pints of beer inside you before you stop noticing the nose.
the heart has its reasons.

max
01-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Choose your poison. Streep did nothing for me; neither did Brooke Shields. It's interesting how we're peddled beautiful women.

Jessica Lange was a pretty good looker.

LameTennisPlayer
01-05-2011, 07:41 AM

I'm glad you said was, not so much these days. She was ok I guess in one film, that was it.

Sentinel
01-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm glad you said was, not so much these days. She was ok I guess in one film, that was it.
well, after her, i don't recall having any faves. :) or :(

dParis
01-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Are you kidding? In Julie & Julia she was soooooooo HOT!!!!

Fedace
01-05-2011, 08:36 AM
If you want a scientific reason. Here it is. We decide what is beautiful based on Millions of years of Instinct. We look at the face and the Body type. and we immediately know who will be Genetically more sound and Which woman would be able to bear healthy Babies for us,,,men.

So we look for Simmetry in the face such as eyes that are well aligned and in good symmetical perfectly balanced shape. Same for the face too.
and for the body, we look for hip area that are in specific size and in shape. We know this instictively. We know which hip shape and size will give us the most healthy and most number of babies. We do this subconsciously.

So that is why if a woman has too narrow or too wide of hip, we don't find it attractive. If hip is too narrow then that woman will not be able to have many babies and too wide means unhealthy.

BashTheMashIsBack
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
10 chars. s. s.

LameTennisPlayer
01-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I had this discussion with people in an art session. Men get called 'beautiful' less... although I've had my fleeting moments being called so.. (not always by women!).

It's all in the eye.. of the tiger/Beholder.

It's because the more correct term is 'handsome' rather than 'beautiful' for an attractive male.

Bartelby
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
This guy qualifies as beautiful:

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/ent_images/2757_1.jpg

s_andrean
01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I've been described as beautiful before... was slightly odd. I do get called hot sometimes... but when I'm visiting the USA, my oxford english accent makes me a million times more attractive!

sureshs
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
If you want a scientific reason. Here it is. We decide what is beautiful based on Millions of years of Instinct. We look at the face and the Body type. and we immediately know who will be Genetically more sound and Which woman would be able to bear healthy Babies for us,,,men.

So we look for Simmetry in the face such as eyes that are well aligned and in good symmetical perfectly balanced shape. Same for the face too.
and for the body, we look for hip area that are in specific size and in shape. We know this instictively. We know which hip shape and size will give us the most healthy and most number of babies. We do this subconsciously.

So that is why if a woman has too narrow or too wide of hip, we don't find it attractive. If hip is too narrow then that woman will not be able to have many babies and too wide means unhealthy.

That is correct. It is also the basis of courtship rituals in animals. The same reasons why a donkey perceives another donkey to be desirable applies to humans, even though we (or at least most of us) don't find a donkey desirable at all.

Perception of beauty is an evolutionary trait which in the past had direct relation to propagation of the species. Today, it is less important with regard to that feature, but the perception is still the same.

jmverdugo
01-05-2011, 01:18 PM
You are beautiful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM&feature=fvw)

r2473
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I only get called beautiful sometimes after sex.........but usually I'm called "devastating". I've heard "too much" a few times as well.

sureshs
01-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Aish is a million times better looking

LameTennisPlayer
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I only get called beautiful sometimes after sex.........but usually I'm called "devastating". I've heard "too much" a few times as well.

So I take it that's not very often....... :p :lol: :grin:

Polaris
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
True, though Aish cannot act to save her life. Streep's work shows more than a little bit of emotional depth, maturity and therefore, beauty.

Sentinel
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
So you are shallow as I suspected !!! :)

albino smurf
01-14-2011, 04:16 AM
The same reasons why a donkey perceives another donkey to be desirable applies to humans, even though we (or at least most of us) don't find a donkey desirable at all.

this line keeps cracking me up

LameTennisPlayer
01-14-2011, 04:34 AM
**** women.... they all deserve to be cheated on...