PDA

View Full Version : The different playing surfaces of tennis

gifted_shotmaker
06-11-2005, 02:20 PM
So far, I have played on synthetic grass, varieties of hard, indoor clay, and indoor hard. What are the differences between synthetic grass and a playing surface that would just be called grass? I have not played on outdoor clay, so are there any differences from indoor and outdoor clay? I have watched play on Har-Tru courts before, but have not played on it actually myself. I would also like to know about carpet. Are there other playing surfaces out there I missed?

Thanks in advance,
shotmaker

FedererUberAlles
06-11-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm going to see if I can play on the grass at the Tennis Hall of Fame next time I'm there. ;)

gifted_shotmaker
06-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm going to see if I can play on the grass at the Tennis Hall of Fame next time I'm there. ;)

alright, thanks. It would be nice to get to hit on grass one day. Around here, it's mostly hard and some Har-Tru. I haven't played on clay in a long enough time for me and it's the best stuff for me. I'm mostly curious on how carpet plays and if there are other surfaces I have not heard of out there.

gifted_shotmaker
06-14-2005, 12:59 PM
How is the carpet surface? Are there any other regulation surfaces that I don't know of?

Thanks in advance,
shotmaker

Meat
06-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Whoa. I've never played on anything besides typical SoCal outdoor hard courts. It's a plus that you can play outside the whole year round, I've never been in an indoor area. I wouldn't mind having some though for the occasional rain.

I'd also definitely like to try Har-Tru and red clay. It'd suit my game a lot better.

Kaptain Karl
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
NE Red Clay - Slower than Har-Tru or Rubico (the synthetic green clays more prominent in the US). But not as slow as European Red Clay.
Har-Tru / Rubico - When well-maintained, really nice. My favorite surfaces.
Laykold - (And all the Plexipave, etc. competitors) I think this is what Californians would call "concrete". (Unless they really play on actual concrete.) Laykold is variable, depending on the amount of the laytex cushioning layer used ... and on whether it is laid on a concrete base ... or an asphalt/MacAdam base. (Concrete base makes it faster.)
Asphalt / MacAdam - As a hard court, pretty slow. Probably the slowest hard court you can play. (Chews the covers off balls really fast. Wears out your shoes really quickly too.)
Carpet - Fast! Especially if laid on a concrete base. Slice everything and you'll drive your opponent nuts with them hitting all the low balls.
Tartan - (The rubberized basketball surface.) Our college played Millsaps on it because it was raining outside. Insanely slick and fast! Nuts!!!
Wood - See Tartan, above.

Haven't played Grass, Synthetic Grass or European Red Clay. (What'd I miss...?)

- KK

gifted_shotmaker
06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
NE Red Clay - Slower than Har-Tru or Rubico (the synthetic green clays more prominent in the US). But not as slow as European Red Clay.
Har-Tru / Rubico - When well-maintained, really nice. My favorite surfaces.
Laykold - (And all the Plexipave, etc. competitors) I think this is what Californians would call "concrete". (Unless they really play on actual concrete.) Laykold is variable, depending on the amount of the laytex cushioning layer used ... and on whether it is laid on a concrete base ... or an asphalt/MacAdam base. (Concrete base makes it faster.)
Asphalt / MacAdam - As a hard court, pretty slow. Probably the slowest hard court you can play. (Chews the covers off balls really fast. Wears out your shoes really quickly too.)
Carpet - Fast! Especially if laid on a concrete base. Slice everything and you'll drive your opponent nuts with them hitting all the low balls.
Tartan - (The rubberized basketball surface.) Our college played Millsaps on it because it was raining outside. Insanely slick and fast! Nuts!!!
Wood - See Tartan, above.

Haven't played Grass, Synthetic Grass or European Red Clay. (What'd I miss...?)

- KK

Thanks Kaptain Karl for describing those surfaces. The indoor clay surface I played on, I assume, is NE Red Clay, but it was pretty slow and fun(IMO, the best playing surface for tennis is clay). Synthetic grass is basically what you hear about grass except blown over by a sand storm and is made of turf. The guys with the big serves, volleying, and power games are considered contenders. It is extremely hard to find your footing on this stuff compared to other surfaces.

Kaptain Karl
06-14-2005, 05:01 PM
The indoor clay surface I played on, I assume, is NE Red Clay, but it was pretty slow and fun(IMO, the best playing surface for tennis is clay). Where did you play on indoor Red Clay? We have some indoor Har-Tru here, in Colorado, but I haven't seen Red indoors.

- KK

gifted_shotmaker
06-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Where did you play on indoor Red Clay? We have some indoor Har-Tru here, in Colorado, but I haven't seen Red indoors.

- KK

I played at a racquet and health club in New Jersey, where I used to live; more specifically Cherry Hill, NJ. The club was named after the city.