PDA

View Full Version : Ball machine questions

Robert Jones
04-21-2004, 10:16 AM
I have been thinking about getting a ball machine and would some input from people that own one.

1. I would like to keep cost under 900.00
2. Do you use special balls or just use regular ones?
3. Did it help your game?

My uncle who is a retired Pro tells me to forget the machine and just hit on a backboard to groove the strokes. Maybe he is correct dunno.

One thing for sure If I get one I think I will have to use balls that are very close to ones that I actually play matches with. My experience with dead balls is not good. If anything my game goes down. Thus the cost of feeding the ball machine with good balls.

I'm thinking keeping like 200 balls in it.

$3.00/can x 66cans = $198 worth which go dead fast. I know I can buy in bulk but its still going to be expensive.

Looking at that I'm thinking pressureless balls. How well do they compare to playing with pressurized balls?

Any input is very welcome!

djbrown
04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
It's a bit more than $900, but I've been very pleased with my Tennis Tutor 4 Plus. General advice would be to get one that allows for spin control (topspin, underspin, etc..) It makes the practice sessions much more realistic.

As for balls, I use 120 Pro Trainer Pressureless balls (60 solid yellow, 60 two-tone). They lasted about 18 months, basically until the felt started coming off on the court cause they've been hit so much. My next batch will be Tretorn Micro-X (about $90 for $60. The Pro Trainers cost $60 for 60).

The Tretorn Micro-X has been tested and approved by the ITF for tournament play, so it's real close to hitting a normal, pressured ball.

http://www.tennis-balls.com/tretornmicro-x.html

lajollatnsplyr
04-22-2004, 09:14 PM
i wanted a ball machine as well...I dont think hiting against a board is enough. I really like to see where my ball is landing. And agaist a board you cant hit cross court forehands...if you do the ball angles away from you and goes to your backhand...Ive the tutor 4 is good as well.

mark rodgers
04-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Sports Tutor will sometimes have demo units for sale at some savings to you. Call them direct and ask them what they have. This is how I got my 4 Plus and glad that I did.

jlei
04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Actually, call Sports Tutor and ask them about any local shops in your area that sell their machines. I called about demo machines, and they asked me where I was located and told me to visit a local tennis shop, I got my TT 3 plus for $200 cheaper than I could of online from Sports Tutor, and the shop covered the $49 shipping (shipped directly from Sports Tutor) so I saved $250. This was even a better deal than the demo models.

Just a thought.

John

cbegap
04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
I have a Prince #2 and like it a lot. I also went for the Tretorn Micro-X balls. I got 180 but you can get buy with 90 in a pinch. The machines never seem to hold as many as they advertise anyway. I don't think any ball acts like a real pressurized ball. They do feel a little heavier/harder. I can't quite put my finger on it. But they last a long time and have a predictable bounce over time. I can't speak for Tennis Tutor, but Master Sports who makes the Prince machines has updated the machines quite a bit over the last several years, so make sure you get as new a machine as you can if you go used.