PDA

View Full Version : 2H backhand v 1H backhand

VolklVenom
06-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I know it really comes down to a personal preference, but i strikes me as odd that most men's tennis at the pro level is dominated by the double hand BH??

Is there any logically explanation to this?

gifted_shotmaker
06-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I would do a search. I'm sure this has been widely discussed. Each has their own pros and cons. IMHO, a 1hbh is weak compared to a 2hbh, my reason is that you are only using one hand as opposed to two. Of course, this will vary with how good you can hit it. Pros like Gaudio and JHH are prime examples of beautiful backhands, though I at least heard JHH say that even if her backhand looks the most beautiful, her forehand is the real weapon. I really don't see 1hbh being as much of weapon to many, like you would not be afraid of it to do as much damage as their forehand in most cases. While the 2hbh, players, I'm sure, are scared to hit to the Safin 2hander.

FedererUberAlles
06-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't know what you are talking about; one handed is usually a more powerful backhand. I can hit my one hander a lot harder than most kids can hit their two handed backhand. A lot of people take up two handed so they can see immediate results, some do it because they just want to keep the ball in the court. :p Safin's backhand is good, but I don't think it's consistent enough. Compare Gasquet's backhand to some two hander's backhand; Gasquet's is going to be a lot faster.

gifted_shotmaker
06-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't know what you are talking about; one handed is usually a more powerful backhand. I can hit my one hander a lot harder than most kids can hit their two handed backhand. A lot of people take up two handed so they can see immediate results, some do it because they just want to keep the ball in the court. :p Safin's backhand is good, but I don't think it's consistent enough. Compare Gasquet's backhand to some two hander's backhand; Gasquet's is going to be a lot faster.

yeah, I have played with kids with good 1handers, but let's say for example a good 2hander and a good 1hander got into a backhand rally, IMO, the 2hander would win. I use 2h for comfort and I got used to it; it works the best for me. I think Safin's backhand is consistent at times. Remember the AO Semis match vs Federer this year, Federer did not dare to attack Safin's backhand, he put assault on his forehand. Gasquet's backhand generates the most pace out of all the 1handers I have seen currently on the tour.

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 05:39 PM
The one handed backhand can crank some mad speeds.. Gasquet is a perefct example.. But yes its personal preference..

I'm equally good in the one handed and two handed backhands now.. having worked on both backhands for a while.. But I choose to use the 1 hander because it looks cooler! Style and looks above all!!!!!!!

krnboijunsung
06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
JHH does have a beautiful backhand. Federer also has a great one hand backhand.

In my opinion, I find that 2hbh gives me more control of my power, while the one hand backhand helps placement but sacrifices power. But that's just me. I'm not a great strong player.

Mahboob Khan
06-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Since majority of Pros begin tennis very early, they start with 2-handed BH and later never have the time or courage to change to 1-handed BH. Some like Pete Sampras would change to 1-handed BH. The question is how would you compare the best double handed backhand (Safin's) with the best 1-handed backhand (Guga, Gasquet)? Obviously, Safin has complemented his double-hander with 1-handed slice and because of this he has better volleys.

There are some characteristics attached to each shot:

-- 2-handed is easier to learn than the 1-hander. 5-6 year olds cannot start with 1-handed BHs!

-- Backswing/racket height: 2-handed low; 1-handed high.

-- upper body rotation in backswing: 2hbh less; 1hbh more

-- hip rotation: 2hbh more; 1hbh none or minimal

-- Point of contact: 2hbh closer to body; 1hbh away from the body.

-- Position of racket at contact: vertical and parallel to the ground for both backhands.

-- Follow-through: 2hbh over the right shoulder; 1hbh out in front high

-- Low balls/High Balls: 2hbh is good for high balls; 1 hbh high balls could pose problems (you ought to have strong arm to handle high balls with 1-handed bh). However, 1-handed BH is great for normal and low balls!

-- Variety: 1-handed BH provides more variety such as slices, drop shots, great for low balls as well; 2-handed bh does not provide this variety unless you learn to add 1-handed slice to your 2-hander.

-- Reach/Court coverage: Obviously your movement is more natural with 1-handed BH; there is a limitation of reach with 2-handed BH. Have you ever seen an handcuffed prisoner escaping from Police custody?

-- Wide balls: 1-handed BH provides the required leverage to handle wide balls; 2-handed bh does not provide this additional reach unless you let go with the left arm!

-- All court player: Normally 1-handed BH players turn out to be an all court player because of good volleys; the 2hbh players are great from the baseline.

I hope the above helps. I am sure this will ignite a new debate over which stroke is the best? I must run away to escape from the collateral damage.

SageOfDeath
06-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I've seen some ppl with great 1 handed backhands. This one guy had SO much topspin on his backhand I was really confused because I was expecting slice. 1 handed backhands allow you to hit with more variety and the reach difference is noticable. I tried out a 1 handed backhand for a week but I felt like I really needed my left hand to guide the racquet. Anyways the reason why may be they just were taught that way and are used to it. I was told to go with one or the other and stick with it. Like most people are right handed (Supposively its genetic but I used to be left handed and I was FORCED to use my right hand when I was young because its supposed to be the proper way in my culture..... w/e) I see more benefit from a 1 handed backhand so that's just my theory.

alan-n
06-11-2005, 08:13 PM
The reason is simply kids starting at a young age with 2 hands. Switching to 1 hands and not seeing any immediate results are frusting.... so they stick with 2 hands.

Whoever said the 2 hander is a more powerful shot is wrong. It all depends on the person swinging.... I switched from 2 hands to 1 hander years ago and the 1 handed backhand for me is the most powerful ground stoke their is simply because it is easier to generate rediculous racket head speed and body weight into the shot not the mention the leverage of the arm extended on the 1 hander.....

Rickson
06-11-2005, 08:50 PM
The 2 hander was definitely easier to learn, it felt like a switch hit baseball swing. I made the switch to the one hander after playing with the 2 hander for about 8 months. The 1 hander took a lot more time and practice to get good at, but it feels great now and although I can still hit the 2 hander, I don't bother anymore. I love the 1hbh and if you switch early on in your development, the transition won't be as difficult as for someone who's spent 15 years using the 2 hander.

stc9357
06-12-2005, 09:30 AM
I use the two hander but have learned to hit a one handed slice shot because it is way easier then hitting a two-handed slice shot and I generally only use it on approaches to get to the net.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Mahboob, one thing I think you left out is foot work. I have only ever mucked around with a 2 handed BH and I have always felt that it requires more precise footwork to hit it. The other thing, is that I feel it tires me out more cardiovascularly (if thats even a word). But this could be because I am not use to it.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Whoever said the 2 hander is a more powerful shot is wrong. It all depends on the person swinging.... I was the one who said IMO it is, but it does depend like you said on the person swinging...

I use the two hander but have learned to hit a one handed slice shot because it is way easier then hitting a two-handed slice shot and I generally only use it on approaches to get to the net.
Same with me

The question is how would you compare the best double handed backhand (Safin's) with the best 1-handed backhand (Guga, Gasquet)? Obviously, Safin has complemented his double-hander with 1-handed slice and because of this he has better volleys.
I did not include Safin's 1 handed slice in the comparison, nor his volleys. IMO, between Safin's 2hander and Guga's/Gasquet's 1hander, I would take Safin's any day.

I also understand Tennis Ball Hitter. These two backhands require different footwork. I know someone who was also trying to switch from 1h to 2h, but had trouble with footwork.

Tennis Psycho
06-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Here is the reason why some peopel DON'T use the 2hb:

- IF your opponent uis a hrad hitter you don't have to time to change from a 1hfto a 2hb. That is simply why some prs do not use it. They just don't have time to get to the ball so that is why only 1 hand.

If you seeing a weak ball and it is coming to you THEN thats when you do the 2hb.

ktncnttl
06-12-2005, 12:17 PM
They say onehander has more variety but I think it is just a matter of choice. People with 2H backhand seems to like their topsin bakchands too much and don't slice much. That hurts their variety. I think if 2handers would slice (with one hand) more the 2hander could have just as much variety.

FedererUberAlles
06-12-2005, 03:36 PM
I did not include Safin's 1 handed slice in the comparison, nor his volleys. IMO, between Safin's 2hander and Guga's/Gasquet's 1hander, I would take Safin's any day.

Ok, have fun running around the court with chain-cuffs on your arms.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok, have fun running around the court with chain-cuffs on your arms.

I do and hopefully I will continue to.

Mahboob Khan
06-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Gifted Shotmaker: I did refer to movement/reach and implied with 1-handed BH the player will have economy of movement because his hands are not tied to the handle. Of course, because of limitation of reach, the 2-handed BH player ought to be more alert with his foot-work to compensate for this limitation of reach.

A 2-handed BH player is vulnerable in certain situations such as:

-- Pull him wide on to his forehand side (deuce court), and then hit a short angled cross-court backhand to his 2-handed BH (adv court), and he will have no or limited answer to this shot combination. More often than not he will be forced to let go with his left arm!

A 1-handed BH player is vulnerable in certain situtaions such as:

-- Give him high balls to his backhand and he will have problem with this.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Gifted Shotmaker: I did refer to movement/reach and implied with 1-handed BH the player will have economy of movement because his hands are not tied to the handle. Of course, because of limitation of reach, the 2-handed BH player ought to be more alert with his foot-work to compensate for this limitation of reach.

A 2-handed BH player is vulnerable in certain situations such as:

-- Pull him wide on to his forehand side (deuce court), and then hit a short angled cross-court backhand to his 2-handed BH (adv court), and he will have no or limited answer to this shot combination. More often than not he will be forced to let go with his left arm!

A 1-handed BH player is vulnerable in certain situtaions such as:

-- Give him high balls to his backhand and he will have problem with this.

okay, I see. I agree with the vulnerability you mentioned with the 1hander, but I do not agree with the vulnerability you mentioned about the 2hander. I do not see that situation overwhelming vulnerable to me, it does not really give me a major problem.

redpurusha
06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Alright, I figured out the whole 2H backhand v 1H backhand (at least for my game). It's very simple. The reason for why pros use predominanatly 2H has been explained here (youngsters can't hit 1H than get used to the 2H). But strictly speaking for myself (an intermediate player),

1. if the oncoming ball is close to me I hit it with 2H.

2 if the oncoming ball is far or not close to me I hit it with 1H.

I have found this strategy works.

The most important difference in the two is that the 1H allows for more reach, and allows to hit balls comfortably that are out of my immediate area. The 2H, gives me powerful baseline shots whenever it is in my immediate reach. So, I found the solution for my game in using both shots depending on the situation. I disagree that you must be either a one hander or two hander all the time. Does anyone know good examples of pros who vary their shots like this?