PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Western from SW grip

Tiger Paw
06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
What should a player think about when moving from a semi-western to a western grip? What are the key differences/adjustments one must make? What are some images one might employ in making the change that are different? How is the preperation different? How is the path of the racket different?

Some things I have considered have been hitting further out front, rotating shoulders more, using a bigger loop, keeping the arm further away from the body, pronating arm ending with the racket ending down by the waist, using a deeper preperation so that one can leep up into shot. Some images are karate chopping the ball, punching up on the ball.

I would appreciate hearing people's thoughts, espcially those who actively use the western grip, about moving from a semi-western to a western.

Thank you very much!

Mahboob Khan
06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
If currently you are using semi western grip, stick with it. To me this is the best grip for modern forehand. Why you want to go to western?

The western grip attributes as stated by you are correct. The major difference, however, is the point of contact:

-- for sw the ideal point of contact is "chest high" and the contact is farther in front than the eastern fh.

-- for western grip forehand, the ideal point of contact is between your chest and mouth, and further out in front than the semi western forehand.

-- the backswing loop is bigger/higher than the semi-western!

Generally, the western grip forehand requires more time and space to execute the shot.

I would like to give you simple advice, "stick with your semi western forehand". If you have any technical adjustments to make, make them but stick with it.

SageOfDeath
06-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Semi-Western is easier on lower shots and overall more versitile but I like my western grip and the large backswing loop. But when I'm playing against someone with a slice backhand its harder to hit. Full western = more topspin, but it doesn't mean that you'll hit harder automatically because you need to really drive though the ball because too much topspin with no drive will result is a pathetic shot. If you are realy comfortable with your SW then why do you want to switch? Just to try a new grip or do you think that you'll actually benefit from it? I would stick with your SW unless you really want to try FW

SageOfDeath
06-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Also with people just starting to use full western find it hard to drive through the ball sometimes because the contact point is farther out.

Tiger Paw
06-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the feed back... but NO I am not changing from a SW grip... I am ensuring that I am giving a student of mine correct guidance. He insists on using a western, at least for now. The question is not whether one should use a Western, but rather how best to do so.

Driving through does seam to be a problem. The hight of contact and speed of execution are good key points. Thanks.

And as an aside, many tallented tour players use the grip with great success even on hard courts. And it is great fun to play around with!

Mahboob Khan
06-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I use Eastern forehand; I teach Eastern FH; accept semi western fh grip. However, if someone comes to me with a western grip, I do not change his grip; I correct his point of contact and overall swing pattern.

Having said, I believe that semi western forehand grip and the associated swing pattern is better than the western forehand grip and its swing pattern. As a coach, my job is to give correct advice, it is up to you to take it or leave it. That's your prerogative! Regards,

Mahboob Khan

Grimjack
06-12-2005, 08:22 AM
-- for western grip forehand, the ideal point of contact is between your chest and mouth, and further out in front than the semi western forehand.

Just wanted to highlight this portion for posterity's sake.

Rickson
06-12-2005, 01:15 PM
I use the sw and have dabbled with the western. I found absolutely nothing special about hitting with a western except that my wrist was more twisted up. I agree with Mahboob, stick with the sw.

Mahboob Khan
06-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Nice to hear from you, Rickson.

TwistServe
06-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I use Eastern forehand; I teach Eastern FH; accept semi western fh grip. However, if someone comes to me with a western grip, I do not change his grip; I correct his point of contact and overall swing pattern.

Having said, I believe that semi western forehand grip and the associated swing pattern is better than the western forehand grip and its swing pattern. As a coach, my job is to give correct advice, it is up to you to take it or leave it. That's your prerogative! Regards,

Mahboob Khan

Yep I've worked with many coaches and they will never force you to change grips or whatever. They'll fix what you have and may suggest an a change if it isn't working. You ultimately must make a choice on what grip you want to use based on what style of game you want to have and what you feel most comfortble with.

I personally have used eastern, semi-western, western, and extreme western.. I like western best but I also don't have problems with low balls or high balls.. And whatever is inbetween is my sweetspot.

Tiger Paw
06-12-2005, 09:30 PM
So are there any images you use when you hit western?

SageOfDeath
06-18-2005, 01:29 PM
*EDIT* I don't think I understand your question.......

There are tons of pictures just search google and western grip maybe add the word tennis because I've seen pictures of guns before or something...........

http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/images/turbo_03_03/fig15r.JPG

ZhangM58
06-18-2005, 07:02 PM
If I were you I would not be even thinking of switching to a full western grip. Western grip gives you a very very hard time of handling low balls such as slices. Also, if you are forced to approch, chance are you will give your opponent a floater, and they can put it away. The spin between the Semi and the full western isn't that much of a difference. Semi-western is just a good grip all around to hit spin, handling high balls, and low balls. If your opponent find out you have a full western, and they know how to hit flat shots, they will be prolly attacking your forehand side because it gives you a very hard time to handle low balls. Hope this helped, good luck if you still want to switch.

ZhangM58
06-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Oh sorry, completely misread the whole thing. Wow, lol. If your student wants to switch to a western, tell him not to go all the way to western. Just a bit over the 4th side. For a person to hit a good western forehand, s/he must have good racket head speed, otherwise the ball will land very short. Tell your student not to focus on pulling up, rather driving through the ball. It still will add spin due to the grip. If you have any specific questions, aim me or send a pm, I'm glad to help.

Tiger Paw
06-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks Zhang!