PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad, and the Ugly of Facebook

WARPWOODIE
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
So recently, I got a facebook account. I like the fact that I am able to connect with old friends, past and current associates, however, I am getting a feel that there is too much information being shared. Also, my wife dislikes the fact that I got hooked to "Farmville".:)

Share your thoughts, what do you like or dislike about facebook...

mary fierce
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
This has all been covered ad nauseum in a recent thread.

Bartelby
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Zuckerberg is extremely ugly, ethically as well as physically.

robby c
01-05-2011, 01:26 PM
So recently, I got a facebook account. I like the fact that I am able to connect with old friends, past and current associates, however, I am getting a feel that there is too much information being shared. Also, my wife dislikes the fact that I got hooked to "Farmville".:)

Share your thoughts, what do you like or dislike about facebook...

Set your account security to the highest settings so that only friends can see.
Don't list your employer. Leave the year off your birthday.
I quit Facebook due to a hacker in Germany.
Robby C

Polaris
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Like: Reconnecting with friends, sharing (a small number of) photos.
Dislike: Everything else, in particular
1. Farcical privacy policy,
2. Stupid advertisements,
3. Reading cloying status updates,
4. Having to shut down updates from applications in which friends spend all their waking hours.

max
01-05-2011, 02:02 PM
It's a waste of time. Use real life instead.

Cindysphinx
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Not a fan.

Most of what people post is drivel.

What is funny is that I list my birthday as Jan. 1. I do this because I don't think it is smart to tell the world your real birthday, for identity theft reasons.

Every New Year's Day, I get a bazillion birthday wishes clogging my e-mail from Facebook. If these people were actual friends, they would know my real birthday is not Jan. 1. How superficial are these relationships, anyway?

spaceman_spiff
01-06-2011, 01:09 AM
It's a waste of time. Use real life instead.

Agreed.

I have to spend 9 hrs a day in front of a computer at work (where Facebook is blocked). Why would I want to spend my free time at home doing exactly the same thing?

My friends are slowly accepting the fact that I prefer to live in the real world.