PDA

View Full Version : How should friends handle this?

Cindysphinx
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm wondering how you folks would handle this situation.

Four friends (Amy, Bea, Cathy and Dora) are taking a five-day vacation. Bea, Cathy and Dora will be traveling on the same itinerary -- same flights. This means they will share a cab to the hotel, at a total cost of $60 one way.

Amy is going to make it a longer vacation to visit family in the area. She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around. She will meet up with the others for the hotel portion of the vacation. Once she meets the others, there will be no need for anyone to have a car -- it will be parked (for free) at the hotel.

Here's the question: If Amy gives Bea, Cathy and Dora a ride from the hotel back to the airport (thereby saving them $60), should Amy receive $60 from the others? If they do not offer, should she ask? Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go? Is there a better/different solution?

jhick
01-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go?

This.

10char

sureshs
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
How much is the distance?

theyhatethecans
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
My first post!

If she is cool, she probably won't mind picking you up and won't mention anything about money. Any time to be able to get together with friends has much greater value than money. If the 3 who are getting the cab ride are cool, you would all chip in and buy her dinner one night.

ProgressoR
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Amy has the car. If she wants to put herself out to pick up the friends then its for no charge. If the friends want to save money and put pressure on her to pick them up and she doesnt want to, they should not push it. If she doesnt offer they shouldnt ask.

If this is causing them some consternation, then how will they share a holiday together. If Amy is the one thinking about it, then she should probably offer. If they have luggage she probably cant fit it all in the car anyway.

CoachingMastery
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
It reminds me of a common adage:

Remember favors received, forget favors given.

theyhatethecans
01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
exactly...

BobFL
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Here's the question: If Amy gives Bea, Cathy and Dora a ride from the hotel back to the airport (thereby saving them $60), should Amy receive $60 from the others? If they do not offer, should she ask? Should Amy just consider it a favor and let it go? Is there a better/different solution?

Geez, no of course not! Is she a friend or a taxi-driver providing a service?

Anyways, Cindy you should definitely write a novel and put Joanne Rowling to shame. There is so much more drama in your threads than in Harry Potter....

Cindysphinx
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
How much is the distance?

Distance is about 16 miles/34 minutes one-way (between hotel and airport) according to Mapquest.

Amy will then probably hit the road to go to her next destination. This destination is in the general direction of the airport (meaning she won't have to double back), but of course dropping the others off at the airport will delay Amy and will require her to leave the freeway.

VaththalKuzhambu
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
B, C and D ought to give ($60/4=)$15 each to A.

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I suggest a mud wrestle... the winner is void of paying, the rest have to split.

VaththalKuzhambu
01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I did not read this carefully before my previous post. A dinner and couple drinks should suffice.

She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around. She will meet up with the others for the hotel portion of the vacation. Once she meets the others, there will be no need for anyone to have a car -- it will be parked (for free) at the hotel.

sureshs
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I suggest a mud wrestle... the winner is void of paying, the rest have to split.

With the women ripping each other's clothes apart?

sureshs
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Distance is about 16 miles/34 minutes one-way (between hotel and airport) according to Mapquest.

Amy will then probably hit the road to go to her next destination. This destination is in the general direction of the airport (meaning she won't have to double back), but of course dropping the others off at the airport will delay Amy and will require her to leave the freeway.

Then she should just treat it like a favor rendered. Of course, she should expect thank yous and reciprocation later if she needed a favor.

jmverdugo
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I am guessing they are not that good friends, I would just say: you are taking us to the airport! B!!t(h!!

Just kidding, the best solution would be to just ask, hey frienda can you give us a ride to the airport? thanks! JMO

Pocky
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing you're Amy

hb_hound
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM
This would never be an issue with four men. Why would she not give them a ride or expect compensation for said ride?

Cindysphinx
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
This would never be an issue with four men. Why would she not give them a ride or expect compensation for said ride?

It's not gender. It's more personality.

And I'm not revealing which person I am. I will, however, give my opinion when the votes are tallied.

And of course I will bump this thread and tell you how it all worked out!

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
With the women ripping each other's clothes apart?

Who wears clothes in a mud wrestle anyway? It's usually a prerequisite of entry- clothesless...

hb_hound
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
It's not gender. It's more personality.

And I'm not revealing which person I am. I will, however, give my opinion when the votes are tallied.

And of course I will bump this thread and tell you how it all worked out!

It is a gender thing, watching four women trying to split a check at lunch, for example, is quite comical. There are detailed discussions on who ate what and how the appetizers should be split. Men on the other hand just throw money in a pile on the table and the waitress usually makes out rather well on the tip.
I am curious to see the outcome.

li0scc0
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Amy could consider it a favor if Bea, Cathy, and Dora do not offer $60.
But Bea, Cathy, and Dora SHOULD chip in. Maybe not $60 total, but maybe $10 each which is $30 total.

dlk
01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Free ride; they're friends. They can return the favor.

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Then she should just treat it like a favor rendered. Of course, she should expect thank yous and reciprocation later if she needed a favor.

Free ride; they're friends. They can return the favor.

I am interested in how these special favors are repayed amongst girlfriends...

nereis
01-06-2011, 01:18 PM
If "Amy" asks for the equivalent of the cab fare then the three others are indifferent between paying an Indian driver and having a rather odd friend. If Amy was really hard up for cash, and it can happen if this was sprung on her late and her cash flow is just timed badly she can just ask for help in springing for gas and explain her situation. Among my friends its a simple, "Hey I'll drop you off at your place (a 20min detour) no sweat."

dlk
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM

They'll never tell:)

athiker
01-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Four friends (Amy, Bea, Cathy and Dora) are taking a five-day vacation. Bea, Cathy and Dora will be traveling on the same itinerary -- same flights. This means they will share a cab to the hotel, at a total cost of $60 one way.

Amy is going to make it a longer vacation to visit family in the area. She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around. She will meet up with the others for the hotel portion of the vacation. Once she meets the others, there will be no need for anyone to have a car -- it will be parked (for free) at the hotel.

Yes...Bea, Cathy and Dora offer and Amy gracefully refuses.

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 01:31 PM
They'll never tell:)

They don't need to tell me, they could take a few pictures or do a bit of JVC recording.... they already have the fake aliases down pat :wink: :-D :lol:

dlk
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
They don't need to tell me, they could take a few pictures or do a bit of JVC recording.... they already have the fake aliases down pat :wink: :-D :lol:

LOL, I wish the names were a little more age aimed at my targets (i.e., Tiffany, Alexis, Porshe, Candy versus Bee, Gertrude, Mabel, & Auntie M).

Maui19
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Is this a question from the SATs?

sureshs
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

I am sure you can buy some DVDs about things like that

Rippy
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
It's a favour.

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I am sure you can buy some DVDs about things like that

Oh definitely, but this sounds like it actually has an interesting plot and storyline, sharing a cab, driving around, 5 day vacation, confused about who pays what, sharing a hotel, picking up randoms along the way....

sureshs
01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Cindy, please reveal everything.

The answers I mean.

LameTennisPlayer
01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
It is a gender thing, watching four women trying to split a check at lunch, for example, is quite comical. There are detailed discussions on who ate what and how the appetizers should be split. Men on the other hand just throw money in a pile on the table and the waitress usually makes out rather well on the tip.

you sir buddy are on the same wave-length as me, I also find it incessantly hilarious...'but you ate all the turkish breads and dips....but you're cocktail was more expensive....but I don't drink anyway.....bickering continues..'

vs

man pays bill then walks to bar, tries to hit on waitress and if he's lucky only gets a slap in the face

Dilettante
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Amy is going to make it a longer vacation to visit family in the area. She will fly separately both ways and will rent a car to get around.

So she's gonna rent the car for her own personal purposes anyway, I think she shouldn't charge her friends. It's more like "hey girls, by chance I'll rent a car so I can pick up" and that's all. A favour.

jmverdugo
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Men would be fighting about who is going to be the designated driver.... actually they would cancel the flight tickets and go all to Las Vegas.

sureshs
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Men would be fighting about who is going to be the designated driver.... actually they would cancel the flight tickets and go all to Las Vegas.

Don't be so sure. Women also tend to go in groups to Las Vegas and whatever happens there, you don't want to know.

jswinf
01-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I will, however, give my opinion when the votes are tallied.

Well, if there's voting to be done...

When the driver takes the exit to the airport the alpha female among the 3 non-drivers says "thanks for the lift, can we give you something for gas?" Driver says "Oh, no, don't be silly!" Others say OK but we owe you lunch at fill-in-the-blank, and everybody's happy.

PeterPanda
01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Depends are these friends not really good friends. Most of the time i would say yes let it go she should drive them to the airport.

neverstopplaying
01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Another vote for "this is a chick issue only".

Life's short - friends are friends.

dParis
01-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Tru 'dat.

Therapy?

mucat
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I suggest a mud wrestle... the winner is void of paying, the rest have to do splits.

Corrected.

SirGounder
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing. When we go out, the girls break out their cell phones to calculate tip. The guys round up to the nearest $5-10 and leave. Thus, the wait staff makes off with a 25 to 30% tip.

I say since the airport is in the general direction of where Amy is going, she should just do her friends a favor. Her friends should offer to buy her lunch, give her some money etc in return but are not obligated to do so. When I go out with friends, we'll spot each other all the time with the understanding that the other guy has it next time. It all evens out, either that or I'm getting the shaft.

JoelDali
01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Dora sounds hot.

Does she have that Facebook stuff so we can check out the giblets?

Fandango
01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
just see it as a favor and nothing much.

Ken Honecker
01-07-2011, 03:04 AM
As a guy, and this is totally a gender thing, I'd be willing to spend a half hour and $3 worth of gas to help my friends out without expecting anything in return. If the person with the car isn't comfortable with this or doesn't want to anger anyone by asking for money then all they have to do is schedule their day so it isn't possible for them to act as a taxi.

As one of the passengers I'd say thanks but it would never come to mind to offer a friend money for such a simple favor.

One of my online friends talks on occasion about 3AM Mates who are those you can call in the middle of the night to pick you up if the old lady tosses you out or bail you out of jail if things didn't go quite as planned. In either scenario I don't think tipping is required.

hb_hound
01-07-2011, 04:14 AM
One of my online friends talks on occasion about 3AM Mates who are those you can call in the middle of the night to pick you up if the old lady tosses you out or bail you out of jail if things didn't go quite as planned. In either scenario I don't think tipping is required.

Reminds me of this

Friendship among Women:
A woman didn't come home one night. The next morning she told her husband that she had slept over at a friend's house. The man called his wife's 10 best friends. None of them knew anything about it.

Friendship among Men:
A man didn't come home one night. The next morning he told his wife that he had slept over at a friend's house. The woman called her husband's 10 best friends. Eight confirmed that he had slept over, and two said he was still there.

Pidgeon
01-07-2011, 04:30 AM
sheesh i thought this was a tennis related forum

rommil
01-07-2011, 06:35 AM

How did they arrive at the gives a ride part? If Amy offered, then Amy shouldnt bring it up and just consider it a favor. If the girls asked her to drive them then they should offer some money to Amy, if they don't then Amy should just consider it an favor and let it go.
Geesh........if not they should just find themselves less cheap friends to vacation with next time.

crystal_clear
01-07-2011, 06:39 AM
I think three friends need to respect whatever Amy's decision is and not feeling offended. It will be nice to offer Amy money or a nice dinner and it is up to Amy if she wants to take it or not. Paying $60 is like doing strict business so paying $30 is more appropriate. Some appreciation would encourage people to provide help in the future. A win/win situation is ideal to maintain a healthy relationship.

Amy spent gas and at least one hour of time to pick up friends.

BTW, Cindy is not Amy.

Cindysphinx
01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
BTW, Cindy is not Amy.

Interesting.

What makes you say that?

eliza
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Cindy, this is a dilemma only in the US, the rest of the world would tell you: if these are your FRIENDS, then you do everything for them. A ride to the airport is nothing.

Polaris
01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Cindy, this is a dilemma only in the US, the rest of the world would tell you: if these are your FRIENDS, then you do everything for them. A ride to the airport is nothing.

This, exactly.

sureshs
01-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Yeah but the rest of the world does not operate on tight schedules. Everyone in the US is busy.

Bud
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Any real friend would not charge for this. Just ask her if she'd mind picking you up at the airport. If she can and does then, buy her dinner one night at a decent restaurant :)

You could also volunteer some gas money since the airport is some distance away.

MegacedU
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
She should consider it a favor and let it go. Send a thank you and a bottle of wine.

eliza
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah but the rest of the world does not operate on tight schedules. Everyone in the US is busy.

Gosh you are right, in Italy they stop, take the checkered tablecloth and the Chianti and spent 4 hours for lunch every day... I must have been the only idiot throwing a sandwich at noon and running...........
Why do you think only the US has tight schedules? Next time I go to Europe I will bring you along, to see how normal people lives are....Not a postcard or stupid movies.........

LameTennisPlayer
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Dora sounds hot.

Does she have that Facebook stuff so we can check out the giblets?

mmmhmmmm

nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

RD 7
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Cindy,

Don't say a word. Give them a chance to do the right thing.

Your job is to stay classy.

However,

(listen to me very carefully)

if these selfish mother f'ers don't do the right thing, than you should take action.

http://i51.tinypic.com/14mgfg4.jpg

Don't get emotional.

Just take care of business and move on.

Cindysphinx
01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
OK, here's the reveal. I am not Amy.

I'm not Dora either, because Dora is hot. :)

I'm just one of the three who aren't renting the car. This little dilemma occurred to me because I know Amy. Amy is somewhat cash strapped due to the current economy. I do not mean she is homeless. I mean she feels she needs to pinch pennies to stay on top of the mortgage and kid's college tuition.

This has led Amy in the past to complain about small expenses. Like, we were at a team practice indoors, so everyone had to pay. We were in the middle of a game when the horn blew. As no one needed the court after us, the players decided to try to finish their game. Amy protested, saying that if the club charged us for the full hour she wasn't going to pay. That sort of thing.

Anyway, my thought was that Amy might well feel that we should help offset the rental car cost, and I was wondering about a way to head off any potential awkwardness. There are many options -- I could just raise it with the other three and then make an offer to Amy. I'd rather help a friend pay for a rental car than give it to a cabbie. But now you are all suggesting that payment would be inappropriate, which kind of surprised me.

See, I see this situation as a little different because it is a rental car. It seems obvious to me that if a pal needs a ride to the airport and you own a car, you just drive them to the airport for free. When there is a determined expense for the rental car as well as a defined cap expense, it starts to feel different to me.

Further complicating matters is that the event we will be attending is a sporting event. There will be no expensive dinners (which would be the ideal way to reciprocate). It's more everyone buying a burger and fries at the stadium for lunch and dinner daily.

The trip is in a few months. I'll let you know how it goes.

rommil
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I'm just one of the three who aren't renting the car. This little dilemma occurred to me because I know Amy. Amy is somewhat cash strapped due to the current economy. I do not mean she is homeless. I mean she feels she needs to pinch pennies to stay on top of the mortgage and kid's college tuition.

This has led Amy in the past to complain about small expenses. Like, we were at a team practice indoors, so everyone had to pay. We were in the middle of a game when the horn blew. As no one needed the court after us, the players decided to try to finish their game. Amy protested, saying that if the club charged us for the full hour she wasn't going to pay. That sort of thing.

Anyway, my thought was that Amy might well feel that we should help offset the rental car cost, and I was wondering about a way to head off any potential awkwardness. There are many options -- I could just raise it with the other three and then make an offer to Amy. I'd rather help a friend pay for a rental car than give it to a cabbie. But now you are all suggesting that payment would be inappropriate, which kind of surprised me.

See, I see this situation as a little different because it is a rental car. It seems obvious to me that if a pal needs a ride to the airport and you own a car, you just drive them to the airport for free. When there is a determined expense for the rental car as well as a defined cap expense, it starts to feel different to me.

Further complicating matters is that the event we will be attending is a sporting event. There will be no expensive dinners (which would be the ideal way to reciprocate). It's more everyone buying a burger and fries at the stadium for lunch and dinner daily.

You knowing that she is cash strapped then just explain to the other girls the situation, chip in and give it to Amy.

PeterPanda
01-08-2011, 10:17 AM
You knowing that she is cash strapped then just explain to the other girls the situation, chip in and give it to Amy.

This sounds like the best idea i've heard.

sureshs
01-08-2011, 02:04 PM

It is IW, isn't it?

Love Game
01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I think three friends need to respect whatever Amy's decision is and not feeling offended. It will be nice to offer Amy money or a nice dinner and it is up to Amy if she wants to take it or not. Paying $60 is like doing strict business so paying $30 is more appropriate. Some appreciation would encourage people to provide help in the future. A win/win situation is ideal to maintain a healthy relationship.

Amy spent gas and at least one hour of time to pick up friends.

I kinda like a variation of this idea, but it depends on how much of an inconvenience it is for Amy to adjust her schedule, available space in the car, etc., to that of the other three.

Since the other three were not willing to rent a car for themselves, they shouldnt presume on Amy's generosity. They should ask if it's convenient for her to drive out of her way for them and offer to treat her to a dinner the night before or a brunch the day of departure.

Maybe they should straight out offer to pay her $60 for the ride in order to test Amy's true feelings on the subject. If she offers to take them for free, they should definitely do the dinner or brunch thing.

JMO :)

Fee
01-08-2011, 04:01 PM
If Amy is so strapped for cash, then why is she extending her vacation beyond what the rest of you are doing?

You said the airport was 16 miles? That's less than a gallon of gas for most decent cars available as rentals. Is she being charged mileage in her rental contract? She's continuing on in the same direction after she drops you off? What's her damage here? The time it takes to veer slightly off course?

I understand that you want to be sympathetic to your friend's economic situation, but if it's such a sensitive topic, I would avoid it completely and get a shuttle or something.

Last time I went to IW I took two friends to the airport for nothing (way out of my way and made me one hour late for the matches I wanted to see that day). Friends do that.

jmverdugo
01-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Friends do that.

Exactly ...

Cindy, what would you do if you were Amy? and on the other hand what do you want to do? do you want to just pay the cab or ask her to take you and the other frind to the airport?

I would just make my plans without thinking on Amy's car, then when the time comes if she offers then good, if not then go with the plan, no worries...

JoelDali
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
When will pics of Dora be leaked?

Bertie B
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Amy sounds touchy. I understand you'd rather give money to a friend than a cabbie, but paying friends to do friendship stuff will make things awkward in the future. What if Amy takes your gesture the wrong way.

Suggestion: Forget about it, and arrange for a cab to take you back to the Airport.

dParis
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I've been reading parts of this thread but haven't been following too closely. In what post is it revealed that this "Dora" is "hot"? This is where I'd like to pick up the thread again.

Ken Honecker
01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
That would be post #60.

RichT
01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
If the distance is significant (to me significant = more than 45 minutes each way) then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect or ask for something to go towards the gas.

If a friend of mine offered to give me a lift to the airport I'd offer to pay something towards the cost. Afterall I will make a saving over the potential cost.

RichT
01-10-2011, 12:17 AM

And this... :D

Having read some more posts.

JoelDali
01-10-2011, 02:05 AM
I was at Forest Hills last night and found myself in the bar where the snooty members congregate and gossip while sampling Chef Ramon's tasty taters n' latin love sauce appetizers. While sipping my Jameson and Grape Koolaid and surveying the hotness levels of the ringless wrinkled cougars I overheard some middle aged women talking about rental cars and $15 shuttle rides to the hotel when suddenly a mixed doubles match broke out.

God damn you mixed doubles.

I hate you and I will never ever sleep with you again you miserable degrading depressing killer of tennis. Be dammed to hell, cast thyself away from me and all other honorable men of the game of tennis.

And now I lay hungover in bed at 6am and some Georgio Parliament scented woman named Dora is snoring againt the wall while my dog is sprawled on the floor looking up at me with the "when is she leaving" look in his eyes coupled with tiny puglet tail wiggles.

God damn you mixed doubles.

dParis
01-10-2011, 05:38 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can hardly wait.

LameTennisPlayer
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
mixed doubles

please refrain from using obscene profanities and blasphemy please!!!!

JoelDali
01-10-2011, 12:14 PM
please refrain from using obscene profanities and blasphemy please!!!!

Fine!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/06/28/amd_justin_gimelstob.jpg

SoBad
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can hardly wait.

I don’t understand you at all, because obviously these are serious matters that are very engaging on a personal and emotional level. If anything, there is too little time to debate the issue and too few people involved in developing a fair and sustainable solution, in this particular case. Ideally, we’d like a couple of years’ notice to work on a case of this magnitude in the future.

maleyoyo
01-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Therapy?

Internet gossip IS a form of therapy.

LameTennisPlayer
01-11-2011, 06:37 AM

It's also a form of b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t.....

LuckyR
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Offer whatever you guys feel is correct (doesn't have to be 60$, since she isn't a cab driver) and be gracious if she declines to accept it. If you leave off the "cash strapped" part, then buy her dinner/drinks.

dParis
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM

It's also a form of b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t.....

:lol: Nods "yes".

JohnnyCracker
01-11-2011, 11:54 PM

You are Amy. Why else would those questions in bold be asked? :)

Bobby Jr
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
A good rule for friendships: Don't ever charge friends for things you got for free (like tickets etc) and certainly don't try to make money out of them where you aren't putting yourself out in helping them (as is the scenario discussed here).

If they offer, make sure you absolutely refuse to accept any money from them for it. Just smile and say "buy me a coffee sometime" and leave it at that.

PimpMyGame
01-12-2011, 02:52 AM
A good rule for friendships: Don't ever charge friends for things you got for free (like tickets etc) and certainly don't try to make money out of them where you aren't putting yourself out in helping them (as is the scenario discussed here).

If they offer, make sure you absolutely refuse to accept any money from them for it. Just smile and say "buy me a coffee sometime" and leave it at that.

I was going to say something similar to this. Between friends, a favour should not be replied with payment for that favour. It then becomes a business transaction. I would vote for the 3 to chip in and buy Amy dinner, and for the same reason I would be against paying cash over.

In my book, if you're strapped for cash then you don't go on holiday. I had years of no holidays when I was skint. Now if I spend £3k on a family holiday I don't think I could feel completely at ease with saying I was strapped for cash.

mucat
01-12-2011, 08:13 AM
I was going to say something similar to this. Between friends, a favour should not be replied with payment for that favour. It then becomes a business transaction. I would vote for the 3 to chip in and buy Amy dinner, and for the same reason I would be against paying cash over.

In my book, if you're strapped for cash then you don't go on holiday. I had years of no holidays when I was skint. Now if I spend £3k on a family holiday I don't think I could feel completely at ease with saying I was strapped for cash.

I was wondering this myself. Didn't make sense to go on vacation when you are short on cash. Not the smartest move.

Cindysphinx
01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
You are Amy. Why else would those questions in bold be asked? :)

Whoops! Who didn't read the whole thread before responding?

JohnnyCracker
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
You were contemplating whether you should ask for the money that's why you asked those question. Of course you wouldn't admit that you are Amy b/c that would make you look rather cheap.

Cindysphinx
01-13-2011, 03:53 AM
: patient, long-suffering sigh :

Again, I am not Amy. Read the thread already, will ya?

If I were Amy, I would be going on and on about my cheap, free-loading friends who were going to stick me with the full cost of a rental car into which they wanted to wedge their oversized behinds.

Or words to that effect! :)