PDA

View Full Version : One thing you could change about tennis

donnyz89
06-11-2005, 08:02 PM
anything with the sport. rules, equipments, players, tournaments, ANYTHING. what would u change?

ffrpg
06-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I would change nothing. It's fine the way it is.

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I would allow the running jumping serve. They do it in volleyball.. They should allow me to a crazy running backflip forward summersault serve.

Kana Himezaki
06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Style points, baby. NOBODY should be allowed on the court with
awkward fashion. :D

And then, of course, A&F would start making tennis clothes. LOL.

Rickson
06-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I'd make the lines out instead of in because when you play against some of my friends, the lines are "out" anyway. I think you all know who I'm talking about cough...Raul...cough. This way, there'd be less arguing and more playing away from the lines.

DaddyMac
06-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Instant replay on close calls at big tournaments.

raftermania
06-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Softer schedule so my favorite players don't sit on the injured list.

ShooterMcMarco
06-11-2005, 11:30 PM
a new ice surface to be part of the ATP masters circuit ;)

Prince_of_Tennis
06-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Bigger Court...Its too small.

ATXtennisaddict
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
A racket in each hand. Double swords!

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 01:51 AM
make there be a HUGE ATP TOURNY IN SCOTLAND

equinox
06-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Handicap system for servers.
Have height to serve position markings.
Have the shorter players less than 5"8 serve from service line.
Taller players moving progressively further back the taller they are compared to opponent.

Ivo Karlovic serves from backfence.

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Wimbers Karlovic is left back in the Locker room

Grimjack
06-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Rowdy fans and goodbye to matches played in silence.

Or mabye a drastic reduction in the # of tournaments, and a switch over to a boxing-style system, where matches were scheduled by promoters and played for championship belts.

I already play in Abercrombie gear.

goober
06-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I would like some type of electronic sensing system that calls balls in or out so there is no more hooking.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 09:39 AM
I like the following things that I would also change about tennis and I would also like to include being able to put more fun into the sport, for example, let players pull down their shorts after a long point, a la Safin against Mantilla at Roland Garros last year.

I would like some type of electronic sensing system that calls balls in or out so there is no more hooking.

throwing the racquet to hit the ball over to make it count! I think I saw Safin do it once and he got it back over.

Softer schedule so my favorite players don't sit on the injured list.

Style points, baby. NOBODY should be allowed on the court with
awkward fashion.

Instant replay on close calls at big tournaments.

MegacedU
06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I like Abercrombie but their stuff doesn't hold up even as casual wear. Tennis gear would for sure fall apart the first time you'd wear it.

I'd make a no cell phone rule for change-overs. Even if the call is just for 2 seconds.

Grimjack
06-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I like Abercrombie but their stuff doesn't hold up even as casual wear. Tennis gear would for sure fall apart the first time you'd wear it.

What in God's name are you DOING in this stuff? Maybe our definitions of "casual" are different. I've got T-shirts in my closet that have celebrated more birthdays than the average poster here, and they're still in wearable condition. Am I confusing tennis with rugby or something? This is the sport where you hit a little, fuzzy yellow ball and there's zero contact of any sort, right? ;)

Anyway, at least the men's stuff hold up just fine. Plus, the shorts have really big pockets, which is nice. Makes for some boffo tennis gear, as far as I'm concerned.

mistapooh
06-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Balls that doesn't get flat? =(

supersmash
06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
strings that don't break.

^^woo hoo! 100th post!

stc9357
06-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Strippers that come out on the court during the changeover then maybe I would take my full changeover for a change.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-12-2005, 10:49 AM
A lowish roof, no lobbing and no rain :)

raftermania
06-12-2005, 01:19 PM
strings that don't break.

^^woo hoo! 100th post!

Congrats on your 100th post.

There are strings that don't break. Put a full installation of 15G Kevlar in your racquet. Your strings will not break, but your elbow will.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Strippers that come out on the court during the changeover then maybe I would take my full changeover for a change.

They had something to that effect, but not quite last year. They had models serve as ball girls in marque matches in a men's master event, Madrid I believe. I'm all for making that a permanent fixture in all matches ;)

darkhorse
06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
When the ball hits the tape on a serve and goes over, it should automatically be a let.

papa
06-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the "good" (as compared to a let service) serve in the college game where the ball hits the net cord and stays in the service box.

gifted_shotmaker
06-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned the "good" (as compared to a let service) serve in the college game where the ball hits the net cord and stays in the service box.

yeah, I forgot to mention that. They also use that in WTT and other exhibitions. I think right now, those guys are making tennis go in the wrong direction. Tennis has entertainment, but with these changes there would surely be more. Right now, they are slowly sucking out the fun in tennis.

benasp
06-12-2005, 06:44 PM
let the crowd cheer all the time, this will crank up the player and the tennis will be open to more type of viewer aka hot-dog eater, crazy bear drinker and the american guy

Mladen
06-13-2005, 12:53 AM
One serve.

morten
06-13-2005, 02:03 AM
no change of balls. higher net,like no middle "band" on the net ,straight line. I want more s&v.. or rather.. i want s&v.

TheGreatBernie
06-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Two things:

1. Change the sport name to "Tennisball". Just like Basketball, Baseball, Football, etc... Maybe then Tennis would get more tv time.

2. Have an electronic sensoring system underneath the court. That way we could always tell where the ball bounces. We could also detect foot faults. The sensoring system could also be used to check a player's weight distribution from one foot the other, footwork, and amount of steps one player has taken versus their opponents'.

For added drama, when a ball goes out of bounds the court could light up red like how the backboard in basketball does. Or at least the lines could light up. Something like that.

I'm sure it can be done. They could just shell out money to build a gigantic sized touch pad.

troytennisbum
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Being able to easily penalize people who FOOT FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the ease with which some players are able to get away with this is a major detriment to this wonderful game.

Jet Rink
06-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Standardize racquets ala MLB: Wood racquets with a range for the head size.

This allows for some latitude but removes the radical differences in equipment as seen on the tour now.

This will bring v-a-r-i-e-t-y back to the game, thereby creating i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t in the sport and therefore more revenues which ='s more exposure... (besides, I've got the mercedes/sharapova/bulova/lacoste ad packages burned onto my brain...).

And no - it won't hurt rec sales for all of us hacks - baseball bat manufacturers sell a ton of aluminum bats, despite major leaguers using wood.

Do-it-now!

Jet

Exile
06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Entrance music, challenges on line calls.

Jonnyf
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Entrance music, challenges on line calls.

HEY HEY lets not make this like Superset lol

well.............................................. ............. i geuss ok

troytennisbum
06-14-2005, 10:03 AM
An easy way to penalize people who FOOT FAULT for those of us who do NOT play in world class professional tennis tournaments !!!!!!!!!!!!
IMO, people who foot fault are a major detriment to this game.

Kaptain Karl
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
1 - Mac Cam used by Umpire to correct bad calls in Real Time.
2 - Bud Collins retires.
3 - Shriekapova penalized for exceeding a set decibel level with that awful noise she makes.
4 - Peddle Pushers BANNED from all tennis. (Pro and Amateur.)
5 - Fans who shout to distract players during Pro events are immediately shot to death by the Umpire.
6 - After the second Foot Fault in your match, you get only one serve for the rest of the match.

- KK

Geezer Guy
06-14-2005, 10:49 AM
1) Play let serves.
2) Allow crowd to yell as much as they want, whenever they want.
3) Automatic instant review of close line calls.

kevhen
06-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I would create a worldwide tennis ladder that would allow people to contact each other based on location so they could meet and play and then rank everyone according based on match scores and USTA ratings. Everyone in the world who played tennis could be on the ladder and ranked accordingly so you could find evenly matched opponents no matter where you went around the world.

Otherwise the game is pretty cool as it is and little has changed in rules over the years but much has changed in hitting styles and equipment and the game has stayed pretty cool. I would outlaw Penn balls since they are often flat out of the can. I think television should show more mixed doubles matches.

Bungalo Bill
06-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Players who believe "the ball under the arm pit" is to be taking literally in real play.

Players who believe the elbow is to be tucked in or stuck to ones side during a stroke.

Rickson
06-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Players who believe "the ball under the arm pit" is to be taking literally in real play.

Players who believe the elbow is to be tucked in or stuck to ones side during a stroke.
Bill, you are cruel sometimes.

John Dark
06-15-2005, 10:47 AM
One word: Lasers

TennsDog
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Lots of crowd...I love a crowd cheering.

A banning of wood rackets and all talk of bringing them back.

Mis-hit winners do not count.

More obscure rules, such as getting a first serve if a ball rolls onto your court between serves, so that I can use them and confuse my opponents. : )

Like a 3pt vs. 2pt shot in basketball, make baseline winners worth more than volley winners, winners on the line = more points, any other awesome winner should get more than one point. Oh yeah, a winner is worth more than an unforced error.

Kaptain Karl
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
(The whole list)
Yuck! First post I've disagreed with 100%.

(Not a slam on *you* ... just your ideas.)

- KK

dmvprof
06-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Cheerleaders and Beer.

GuyClinch
06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Your significant other can't whine about the fact your playing too much tennis unless you hit more then 10 hours a week.

Pete

kevhen
06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Yeah changeovers could include cheerleaders getting the crowd pumped and a lady could walk through with a scorecard like they do to start each round of a boxing match.

I would also like to see NRTP levels be the same for women and men and adults and juniors so we could all play others at the same level and not separate the men from the boys from the women and the girls. Even have mixed sex singles matches then. I would like to see McEnroe play the Williams.

Kaptain Karl
06-15-2005, 01:24 PM
I would like to see McEnroe play the Williams.Awww... Mac could beat either one of them ... with his left hand, no less.

- KK

kevhen
06-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Then after he destroys the Williams he could play Justine or Sharapova. Summer series of old guy vs the top women. The average Joe would start watching tennis again.

McEnroe is 45 now so maybe just give him a wooden racquet. You could have other former champs who are even older play so that the women could win and put some money on the line so every one plays up to potential. It would get some excitement and buzz going and spice up the game.

Maybe guys like Connor, Yannick Noah, Stan Smith, Lendl, Becker, etc. could play in the series.

Geezer Guy
06-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Your significant other can't whine about the fact your playing too much tennis unless you hit more then 10 hours a week.

Make that 14, and that doesn't include drive time.

Rickson
06-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Co-ed tennis. Some women want to prove they can beat men so let them. I'm not talking about mixed doubles either, I mean men against women in singles with no handicap. Yes, the women would be at the bottom of the co-ed tour, but it would force a breakthrough from them at some point.

RiosTheGenius
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
a few things;
-prohibit Patrick McEnroe from making any comments on the sport
-enforce the time limit between serves (Massu took like a week between points at the olimpics, not cool).
-eliminate the whole grass season. leave it for the cows.
-fine people like Sharapova for being too loud.
-make gut strings cheaper :)
-stop allowing people with blue socks on court
-replace the grass season with a hard wood court season (Hewitt would love this stuff)
-let players take anabolics so they could all look like Rafa
-instead of fines, I would make players who violate the rules be waterboys in the challenger tour for a week (wearing blue socks would be penalized as well)
-match tankers would be suspended for 6 months. people drive thousands of miles sometimes to see their favorite players and tanking is just not fair to them. (Rios ****ed a few off with that).
-I would organize a world cup event once a year in a different african country as it would bring people and money to those who can use some.
-I would cut Nadal pants and definitely prohibit butt picking during matches
-that's it, everyhting alse is great.