PDA

View Full Version : Wireless 802.11 Connection HELP !!!

Bud
01-07-2011, 06:10 AM
I just purchased a new wireless router. The issue is, I can only connect to the Internet for approximately 10 minutes before the browser loses webpage access. I then try to open a new browser and receive the message that I'm not connected to the Internet... do I wish to troubleshoot the connection, etc.

When this happens, I can still PING websites (i.e. yahoo) and it works fine, no packets dropped. So, I'm still connected, I just can't access the Internet through any browser.

When I reboot the laptop, I receive another ten minutes of Internet time before the browser loses the connection. Again, PING still works so the Internet and wireless are still operating.

I haven't tried another laptop on my wireless network or taken my laptop to another access point to test whether it's my network or my laptop.

Can anyone offer insight into what's occurring? I'm a semi-techno geek so I understand computers, wireless systems, etc. on a medium level. So, no need to dumb down any suggestions or explanations.

Bud
01-07-2011, 06:24 AM
One of my neighbors has an open wireless network and I can only connect to that for about 10 minutes as well before the browser loses the connection. So, it may one of my laptop settings, browser settings, etc.

I changed to an Intel program managing my Windows Wireless Connection in an attempt to fix the issue. No luck. I also disabled Windows Wireless Zero Configuration. No luck.

Still have a connection to both the Internet (via PING)... just can't use a browser

mikeler
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Wow, that is a tough one to diagnose. Do you have an old router you can test versus the new one?

Bud
01-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Wow, that is a tough one to diagnose. Do you have an old router you can test versus the new one?

I don't. However, I have a friend coming over tonight though and he's bringing a laptop so I can test it. I'm thinking it's something inside my laptop... which is a Dell 700M from early 2006.

I ran that nifty little winsock fixer and it didn't help

BobFL
01-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I missed the target badly :)...

Bud
01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I missed the target badly :)...

Which target?

BobFL
01-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Your target :) I was developing a theory about Vista and protocols and 5 mins later I saw that your laptop is from 2006 :)

Btw, I do think it could be a compatibility issue (driver vs new hardware and firmware in your new router). I had all kinds of weird experiences lately (gremlins and such :))

Bud
01-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Your target :) I was developing a theory about Vista and protocols and 5 mins later I saw that your laptop is from 2006 :)

Btw, I do think it could be a compatibility issue (driver vs new hardware and firmware in your new router). I had all kinds of weird experiences lately (gremlins and such :))

I'm running XP Home with SP3

The network card seems to be operating correctly.

The 9-10 minute Internet timeout, after a reboot makes me suspicious.

Bud
01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
post removed

goober
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
So you can still connect with games and IM? have you tried these?

Try this on IE try Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings> then uncheck use proxy.

Or try resetting your settings for IE

Tools tab > Internet Options > restore Adanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings.
Restart IE.

Bud
01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
So you can still connect with games and IM? have you tried these?

Try this on IE try Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings> then uncheck use proxy.

Or try resetting your settings for IE

Tools tab > Internet Options > restore Adanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings.
Restart IE.

I haven't tried games or IM's will try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bud
01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Nope, doesn't work with games either.

Can still PING though and still have a WAN IP address

Bud
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Would it be safe to post a screenshot of the Ping and IPconfig /all data in here?

I can also ping 192.168.0.1

- -

Another oddity is that when I use my Dropbox, I can drop things into it on my laptop dropbox and it will transfer the files to my desktop... but won't do the reverse. Is it transferring over WAN protocol or LAN protocol?

Uggh! This is very strange :mad:

Bud
01-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Another thing I notice is when trying to connect to the Internet after the 10 minute window, the browser states on the bottom info bar: Connecting to site xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the IP address version of the name). Is it possibly a problem with the DNS?

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm achieving good Internet connection speeds when I can stay in the browser and on-line

6.89 Mb/s download
4.09 Mb/s upload

I'm about to take the laptop to a coffee shop to see if I continue getting booted after 10 minutes or so.

Will report back later

:mad:

mikeler
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm achieving good Internet connection speeds when I can stay in the browser and on-line

6.89 Mb/s download
4.09 Mb/s upload

I'm about to take the laptop to a coffee shop to see if I continue getting booted after 10 minutes or so.

Will report back later

:mad:

That should be a good test. My laptop disables my network card when it goes to sleep even though I tell it not to under Power Management. So it always takes me a long time when I first try to access a website. Since you are able to Ping out, it sounds like a different problem. I have had bad routers before so maybe you bought a lemon.

Bud
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
That should be a good test. My laptop disables my network card when it goes to sleep even though I tell it not to under Power Management. So it always takes me a long time when I first try to access a website. Since you are able to Ping out, it sounds like a different problem. I have had bad routers before so maybe you bought a lemon.

Since it was also doing it when accessing my neighbors unprotected wireless router, I'm thinking perhaps... it's either something off in my laptop computer or perhaps interference from a neighbor's 2.4 gHz device?? :confused:

I may also try purchasing a USB wireless dongle for my laptop computer then disabling the internal wireless card to see if the internal wireless card is bad. I also have a friend coming over tonight with his laptop to check out what happens there.

Troubleshooting computers is a time sink. I've already spent at least 12 hours trying to figure out this issue.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions heretofore.

- - -

On a different note, how hard is it to replace a wireless card inside a laptop? Also how $$$?

mikeler
01-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Since it was also doing it when accessing my neighbors unprotected wireless router, I'm thinking perhaps... it's either something off in my laptop computer or perhaps interference from a neighbor's 2.4 gHz device?? :confused:

I may also try purchasing a USB wireless dongle for my laptop computer then disabling the internal wireless card to see if the internal wireless card is bad. I also have a friend coming over tonight with his laptop to check out what happens there.

Troubleshooting computers is a time sink. I've already spent at least 12 hours trying to figure out this issue.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions heretofore.

- - -

On a different note, how hard is it to replace a wireless card inside a laptop? Also how $$$?

Never replaced a card on a laptop, but in a PC it is simple. I would think it is just as easy in a laptop. The problem started with the new router right or were there issues before?

esgee48
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
(1) It will cost you to replace the laptop network card. Have to take apart the machine to get to the card.

(2) In Control Panel>System>Hardware Manager right click on your wireless network card and click Properties. Go to the Power Management tab and check to see if the little box "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" is checked or not. It should not be as this will allow windows to automatically turn off your wireless card.

mikeler
01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
(1) It will cost you to replace the laptop network card. Have to take apart the machine to get to the card.

(2) In Control Panel>System>Hardware Manager right click on your wireless network card and click Properties. Go to the Power Management tab and check to see if the little box "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" is checked or not. It should not be as this will allow windows to automatically turn off your wireless card.

I unchecked that on mine but it just ignores it. Not sure why.

athiker
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM

This seems to be the most common solution. Another thing to think about is did you update or change any anti-virus or security suite type software? Sometimes they can trigger glitches; of course the flip side is you could've picked up a virus. :( But definitely check the Power Management suggestion above.

Another way to get to the same device is: Control Panel>Double click Network Connections>Right click on your connection and select Properties>Configure>Power Management Gets you to the same place, just by a different route. Good luck.

Bud
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Never replaced a card on a laptop, but in a PC it is simple. I would think it is just as easy in a laptop. The problem started with the new router right or were there issues before?

There were issues before. I was connecting to a neighbors wireless network and was being bumped off every 10 minutes as well. I thought it was something in their network bumping me.

BTW, now at a library and waiting to see if I'll be disconnected again.

**EDIT**

Yep appears it's my computer and/or internal wireless card. Same thing is happening here.

can still ping websites but no access to the net thru browsers

jmnk
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
do you ping via dns name or IP address?
run ping as "ping -t dnsNameHere". and leave it for over 10 minutes. it will be pinging forever (to stop do ctrl+C) See if it still can ping the same address when you no longer can access web sites via explorer

Bud
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have this option :)

Bud
01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
do you ping via dns name or IP address?
run ping as "ping -t dnsNameHere". and leave it for over 10 minutes. it will be pinging forever (to stop do ctrl+C) See if it still can ping the same address when you no longer can access web sites via explorer

Ping yahoo.com, for example works fine after the browser can no longer connect.

Do you mean reboot, do the ping thing, let it run for 10 minutes then trying re-pinging after I can no longer access web sites via the browser?

Would that make any difference since I can ping successfully now after the browser stops accessing the net?

jmnk
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Ping yahoo.com, for example

Do you mean reboot, do the ping thing, let it run for 10 minutes then trying re-pinging after I can no longer access web sites via the browser?
just run 'ping -t yahoo.com' in the terminal window. For over 10 minutes. I'd like to see if anything happens (like packet(s) is lost) at this magical 10 minute time. So let it run and browse the web at the same time. Try to see if anything unusual happend in terminal window when you no longer can access web sites via browser.
If you still can ping it cannot be wireless card - it has no idea if it is browser or ping application trying to send packets.
It might be that you are saturating something when browsing. Maybe try to go to text-only sites (no huge photos, no downloads). It almost seems like it is your browser. Do you have multiple of those, beside explorer? Or any other application going out to the internet that exhibits the same problem?

Bud
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
just run 'ping -t yahoo.com' in the terminal window. For over 10 minutes. I'd like to see if anything happens (like packet(s) is lost) at this magical 10 minute time. So let it run and browse the web at the same time. Try to see if anything unusual happend in terminal window when you no longer can access web sites via browser.
If you still can ping it cannot be wireless card - it has no idea if it is browser or ping application trying to send packets.
It might be that you are saturating something when browsing. Maybe try to go to text-only sites (no huge photos, no downloads). It almost seems like it is your browser. Do you have multiple of those, beside explorer? Or any other application going out to the internet that exhibits the same problem?

IC... will give er a go in just a few minutes :)

K, it's pinging

Bud
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
^^

I let it ping and it's still pinging. It didn't miss a beat once the browser lost Internet access :|

jigar
01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
It seems to be an issue with browser than router.
1. Try downloading and using different browser.
2. Make sure you have Anivirus or Firewall applications turned off.
These are the first steps.

I don't know but you can try installing ubuntu and see it still drops the connection. You can use WUBI installer.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

I seemed to recall to have the very similar issue in the past but I don't recall the solution.

esgee48
01-07-2011, 08:06 PM
(1) Does this happen when you are hard wired into the wifi router? Does it still timeout?

(2) Could you be retrieving an update from Microsoft? Is Auto Update on? This has been known to cause timeouts because it is done in background.

Bud
01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
It seems to be an issue with browser than router.
1. Try downloading and using different browser.
2. Make sure you have Anivirus or Firewall applications turned off.
These are the first steps.

I don't know but you can try installing ubuntu and see it still drops the connection. You can use WUBI installer.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer

I seemed to recall to have the very similar issue in the past but I don't recall the solution.

I tried it with Firefox, IE 8 and Safari. I may try installing Ubuntu, via VirtualBox, to test if it's the OS.

Firewall is turned off. I'll try it in safe mode with networking.

(1) Does this happen when you are hard wired into the wifi router? Does it still timeout?

(2) Could you be retrieving an update from Microsoft? Is Auto Update on? This has been known to cause timeouts because it is done in background.

I'll try plugging the laptop directly into the router. I'll turn Microsoft updates off as well and give that a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

esgee48
01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I did a search on 'wifi IE timeout' and ran across this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-stopping-after-10-minutes-browsing-103469.html (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-stopping-af
ter-10-minutes-browsing-103469.html)

Have you been adding and deleting software? One notorious issue with a lot of vendors is they leave a lot of junk in your registry and what's in there can be causing your problem. The above link is related to a bad removal of Zone Alarm. See if you can find a registry cleaner online to check and remove all the extraneous junk. I use one because I am always adding and removing software from my system.

In the above search, there is also a reference to a free sw pack to tune the time out registry setting for IE. You could also just upgrade to IE 7 or IE 8, which runs on XP. HTH.

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I did a search on 'wifi IE timeout' and ran across this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-stopping-after-10-minutes-browsing-103469.html (http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-stopping-af%3Cbr%20/%3E%0Ater-10-minutes-browsing-103469.html)

Have you been adding and deleting software? One notorious issue with a lot of vendors is they leave a lot of junk in your registry and what's in there can be causing your problem. The above link is related to a bad removal of Zone Alarm. See if you can find a registry cleaner online to check and remove all the extraneous junk. I use one because I am always adding and removing software from my system.

In the above search, there is also a reference to a free sw pack to tune the time out registry setting for IE. You could also just upgrade to IE 7 or IE 8, which runs on XP. HTH.

Funny you mention Zone Alarm. That PITA program was corrupted and would not allow removal or deletion... so I went into safe mode and deleted it all manually. But, I was having issues before deleting the files and registry keys (although it may have been related to the corrupt zone alarm installation).

I do use CCleaner to clean up all the junk like the remnants from that zone alarm installation.

The link you provided sounds like my exact problem, BTW... just started reading it.

- - -

I'm currently installing Ubuntu on a virtual machine using Virtualbox software. I may also try to repair Windows using the original install disks.

I've got enough to keep me busy throughout the weekend :mrgreen:

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:15 PM
So, the user in that forum simply reinstalled zone alarm and then uninstalled it? Did I read that correctly?

I'm going to try it, now. Funny but I'd thought of doing this earlier when I was reading in another forum something about a corrupt zone alarm uninstall. It had slipped my mind though.

Something has got to work!

esgee48
01-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes. However, I would also run cccleaner just in case. ZA as a firewall is pretty bad because XP has it own, which can be turned on. When I remove software, I run something called RegCleaner, which cleans up all the references on the system. It also removes all traces of software if an Uninstall goes bad.

Good Luck.

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes. However, I would also run cccleaner just in case. ZA as a firewall is pretty bad because XP has it own, which can be turned on. When I remove software, I run something called RegCleaner, which cleans up all the references on the system. It also removes all traces of software if an Uninstall goes bad.

Good Luck.

Even reinstalling ZA is a PITA. I had to find the version that was installed on my computer from 2005. Luckily there are websites that save old versions.

It's installed!

Now I'm going to try and uninstall it... and then run CCleaner :)

I have my fingers crossed.

... now restarting windows

T-minus 8 minutes and counting...

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Still connected (typing this from the laptop)

Still here :)

Just approaching the 10 minute time window

I think that may have done it :shock:

All the web content is running so much quicker as well

I think it's almost official... Zone Alarm is EVIL!

- -

Still connected now 12 minutes

I believe the issue is solved !!!

Bud
01-07-2011, 10:59 PM
OK... back on the Desktop :)

Next post is from the laptop

Bud
01-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I learned a hell of a lot more about the computer, wireless configurations, etc.

Plus I downloaded the ISO for Ubuntu and am about to burn it to DVD and then install it on the laptop :)

OK 18 minutes now and still typing from the laptop.

Crisis is officially over!

- - -

A big thanks for everyone who helped and suggested possible fixes!

Larrysümmers
01-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I learned a hell of a lot more about the computer, wireless configurations, etc.

Plus I downloaded the ISO for Ubuntu and am about to burn it to DVD and then install it on the laptop :)

OK 18 minutes now and still typing from the laptop.

Crisis is officially over!

knock on wood :)

Bud
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
knock on wood :)

Lol! No, it's been connected for nearly 20 minutes now. I knew immediately something was different as everything on the webpages is running and regenerating so much quicker.

- - -

Install ZoneAlarm at your own peril ;)

Larrysümmers
01-07-2011, 11:11 PM
thats good to hear. i havnt used zone alarm since. uhm 05 06ish.

Bud
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
thats good to hear. i havnt used zone alarm since. uhm 05 06ish.

Same. I think a virus infected it on my laptop back in 06 and everything went awry when the AV program attempted fix it.

Like I stated in another post, the ZA files wouldn't let me delete them even with admin privileges. I finally went into safe mode and deleted them that way... then combed through the registry and deleted any registry key related to ZoneAlarm.

Thanks to Oldversion.com for providing the correct version of the previous installation from 2005. Without that, I couldn't have reinstalled it.

Bud
01-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Laptop is still connected as I'm typing this :)

That free version of ZA caused about 30 hours worth of headaches :mad:

FuriousYellow
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
From the sound of the symptoms it sounds like a DNS problem and you're not able to resolve IP addresses into hostnames.

Also, it's possible you, your neighbor, and perhaps other neighbors are all using the same channel and are interfering with each other's signal. A lot of people just accept the default channel setting.

You can scan the other wireless routers in your area by using netstumbler to find out which channels are being used.

Bud
01-08-2011, 11:31 AM
From the sound of the symptoms it sounds like a DNS problem and you're not able to resolve IP addresses into hostnames.

Also, it's possible you, your neighbor, and perhaps other neighbors are all using the same channel and are interfering with each other's signal. A lot of people just accept the default channel setting.

You can scan the other wireless routers in your area by using netstumbler to find out which channels are being used.

Read from post #32 onward.

The issue (which has been solved) was caused by a crappy, free program called Zone Alarm :grin:

Bud
01-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Still working flawlessly! :)

Again, thanks for everyone's help and suggestions while I was trying to figure this out!

athiker
01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Glad it worked out for you...thanks for posting the resolution.

I had some computer issues last year about the same time my hard drive was filling up so I bought a new internal drive (they are quite cheap) and did a fresh install of everything. Best "bad" thing that ever happened to me. It made a 4 year old computer run like a new one...even better...the only software that was on it were ones I personally installed...no pre-installed junkware.