PDA

View Full Version : I have a tournament next month

akj27
06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
It'll be my first tournament, and Im still not sure if I should play, I'm a 3.0-3.5 player, been playing for like 4-5 months only, so Im not sure, don't wanna get my *** kicked :p , what do you guys think? Should I join? Will it be important for me? And do you think I can improve my serve in one month if I practive almost every day?

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh its your first tournament and you've been playing 4-5 months? Is it an 8/10 game rule or full 3 sets? Just try to grab a few games LoL

akj27
06-11-2005, 09:04 PM
full 3 sets

hyperwarrior
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Wow, you must be a genius to achieve this kind of level after only 4-5 months.
It tooks me a lot of time to get there...

Kana Himezaki
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
It's important. Even just for the match experience.

Get used to competitions and playing other people. It's fine if you're a 3.5, it's great just to see how other people play. If you lose right away, doesn't matter. You got the experience, right? Honestly, after my first competition match, I lost. I was 8 months into playing, and joined an open tournament (higher level ones) and was destroyed in the first round 6-3, 6-2. I chose the wrong level of people to play against, and...due to my competitive nature, I think I was pretty close to tears after the match.

I'm emotional like that in tennis. The points I grabbed were simply because I was trying to get to every ball possible, whether by diving or throwing myself into the shots. I still get beaten by experience.

So...make sure the tournament doesn't contain players too far over your level, but GO FOR IT. You have no idea how much the experience helps.

Rickson
06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
It'll be my first tournament, and Im still not sure if I should play, I'm a 3.0-3.5 player, been playing for like 4-5 months only, so Im not sure, don't wanna get my *** kicked :p , what do you guys think? Should I join? Will it be important for me? And do you think I can improve my serve in one month if I practive almost every day?
4-5 months and you rate yourself a 3-3.5? Are you entering a 3.5 tournament? I strongly recommend you enter a lower level tournament if you are entering 3.0 because a lot of good players fake their ratings for easy wins.

akj27
06-11-2005, 09:07 PM
This is according to my coach, he said i'm easily a 3.0, almost 3.5.

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 09:07 PM
4-5 months and you rate yourself a 3-3.5? Are you entering a 3.5 tournament? I strongly recommend you enter a lower level tournament if you are entering 3.0 because a lot of good players fake their ratings for easy wins.

Doubt they have anything lower.. In california they have 3.5, 4.5, 5.5 and Open.. sometimes they have 4.0 and 5.0 but those have a small bracket.. since he lives in brazil it might be a lil different.

TwistServe
06-11-2005, 09:08 PM
This is according to my coach, he said i'm easily a 3.0, almost 3.5.

It's not that you aren't 3.0 or 3.5.. But an old dude that's been playing 3.5 for the last 20 year will probably wipe you up.. simply because of match experience..

btw after you play your match I expect you'll post something about how you hate pushers.. lol

akj27
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, it's still a month away so we'll see, I just need to work on my serve, my slice still isnt as deep as i want it to be, but I think i can improve on that, before the tournament starts. I'm training with my coach 3-4 times a week, spending over 400/month. Hope I can at least win a match lol

Kana Himezaki
06-11-2005, 09:12 PM
He should do it simply for the experience though. There are some 3.0 leagues around the USA, do they have them around Brazil?

Yeah, a lot of people do fake ratings. Don't feel bad if you lose, I certainly did. No matter what though, you NEED the experience. I can't stress it enough.

akj27
06-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Alright, I guess I will join then

And I don't live in Brazil, don't know where you guys got that from

Kana Himezaki
06-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Don't you have the "Is there anyone from Brazil threads" and stuff like that?

Eep, sorry then. I think I just got confused.

If you live in the U.S., it'd be a good idea to look for junior satellite tournaments.

finchy
06-11-2005, 09:23 PM
i suggest playing in as many tournaments as you can. i also suggest to not pump out $400 a month to your coach. half of that you could save up for a ballmachine. that and buy books. lots and lots of tennis books. my tennis coach (i only pay around $130 a month for him) started playing tennis when he was 13 yrs old and never received a lesson. he read lots and lots of books, spent as much time as he could on the tennis court, and went to clubs when he was 15 yrs old and kicked everyone's arse.

go practice playing in matches. it doesnt matter if you get killed, but like kana said, its match experience thats important. plus, if you lose early, you could stick around and watch the good people play.

Rickson
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Brazil? When did he say he was from Brazil?

Jonnyf
06-12-2005, 12:57 AM
yeah join and try your hardest and gain experience

goober
06-12-2005, 08:18 AM
you need tourney experience so I would join even if you lose 6-1, 6-0 or something like that. Don't worry about the results only the experience. I would also suggest trying to enter a roundrobin tournament or at least one that has a consolation bracket so you don't play one match and you are done.

My first tourney they actually didn't have enough 4.0 and 4.5 players so they combined them into a roundrobin tournament and I got to play 5 matches over a 3 day period. I played some very strong 4.5 players and it was a good experience because really learned what I needed to work on more in my game.

Tennis Psycho
06-12-2005, 12:03 PM
If I was you, I would join instantly!! You get to have some fun(hopefully) and get some experience in tennis!

TheGreatBernie
06-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi akj27,

How much an hour do you pay for lessons? I was looking to get some private lessons but was curious how much is a good rate. There are coaches around here that charge 50+. A good one goes for 70 per hour. That means if I go once a week for a month (70 * 4) that's 280 a month for four hours of tennis lessons. Pretty steep, imo.

akj27
06-12-2005, 06:20 PM
He charges like 30, but he only charges 30 because hes friends with my family.

krnboijunsung
06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Tournaments are great fun. Just the competitive nature of playing against people you don't know, and finding out how much you measure up to them, and how much you need to improve. It's just really great.

As for your coach. 400 buckaroos is way too much. Basically what I did was take lessons for a week and learn the basics of tennis. I read some books. And i practiced afterschool from 2:55 to 6:30 almost everyday. I'm still not that great a player. Maybe 3.0 or 3.5, but I got better without spending the mucho money you're spending. Advice with friends in varsity, and my coaches AT SCHOOL helps alot.

But this tournament will seriously help. Even if you lose, you can stay around, watch how your opponent is doing in his other matches and see what areas you need to build up on to be able to beat someone like them next time.

Geezer Guy
06-14-2005, 07:24 AM
I agree that you should get in the tournament. If they have a 3.0 section, I'd suggest you get in that instead of the 3.5. If you do well in the 3.0, you can move up to 3.5 next time. I don't know how much you and your coach talk about game strategy, but you should work on that before the tournament. Read "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert. There's a lot more to winning matches - especially tournament matches - than just hitting pretty forehands.