PDA

View Full Version : Any Toto fans?

Andres
01-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Hey you guys

Well, this is the thing. I was asked to record an album. More precisely, a Toto tribute album. Ten, twelve tracks, absolutely re-arranged.

But I'm too big a Toto fan and I can't pick only 12 songs out of their entire discography. Any help?

Some months ago, I recorded an early demo for Africa, with a (somewhat) true african vibe to it. The song will probably remain pretty much like that, but I'll have to re-record the vocals, both lead and background. And better mixing :D You can listen to it here: http://www.reverbnation.com/andresguazzelli

The songs I WANT to be there are:

Africa (african vibe to it)
Mushanga (same as Africa)
Rosanna
Pamela (Gospel version)
Child's Anthem.

Not so sure about Hold the Line. But I don't wanna do only the classics.

Any feedback appreciated :D

Fee
01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
99 was one of my favorite Toto songs, it seemed so different than their other stuff at that time.

Rippy
01-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Africa is a good tune.

mikeler
01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I won't hold you back now is a really good song IMHO.

max
01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I was just listening to Toto the other day; they really did put out a lot of good stuff.

I really like Africa; it was just a great new sound at the time.

fridrix
01-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Love the musicianship on "Rosanna" etc. but don't know the deep cuts.

HarveyPitnik
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
One Toto-fan here! :)
Andres how about 'Jake to the bone'!? Easy piece, what? :lol:
Well, some tracks that I'd like to hear re-arranged: Gift of faith, Baby he's your man, Gypsy train (actually almost every Kingdom of desire-track), Carmen & Going home.

Kevin T
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
The guy from '40 Year Old Virgin' was a big Toto fan...posters on the wall and everything. :)

hb_hound
01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Georgy Porgy
I'll Supply the Love
Child's Anthem
Manuela Run

70's Toto > 80's and 90's Toto

HarveyPitnik
01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
^ I agree that earlier Toto-material was better than the later. However I don't want a track like 'I'll supply the love' rearranged as it's just perfect (and sacred) as it is.
Toto was suppose to quit completely several years ago but then they did farewell-tour last summer! I don't know what they are about to call their tour in Europe in summer 2011!?! :lol: I will go to their concert (5th time) in my homecountry in july. 8)

Andres
01-11-2011, 04:09 AM
The guy from '40 Year Old Virgin' was a big Toto fan...posters on the wall and everything. :)
Is there a Toto poster? I remember an Asia poster ;)

Andres
01-11-2011, 04:14 AM
^ I agree that earlier Toto-material was better than the later. However I don't want a track like 'I'll supply the love' rearranged as it's just perfect (and sacred) as it is.
Toto was suppose to quit completely several years ago but then they did farewell-tour last summer! I don't know what they are about to call their tour in Europe in summer 2011!?! :lol: I will go to their concert (5th time) in my homecountry in july. 8)
I agree. I'll try to stay away from tracks like I'll Supply the Love nor Hold the Line as they're perfect as they can be.
Used to think the same thing about Rosanna, until I listened to the 'Falling In Between Live' version, you know? The jazzy one?

Blew my mind away.

Rosanna is the one giving me the hardest time. I'm arranging a groovier, funkier, more gospel version of Pamela and is coming out quite nicely. Rosanna is a puzzle. Mushanga and Africa are already arranged. Rosanna is an ABSOLUTE PUZZLE.

I can't pick 10 tracks... I like em all!

Jake to the Bone is untouchable. It's mind-blowing. It's absolutely brilliant :D

Peters
01-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Don't like much of their regular stuff, but liked their work on the Dune soundtrack.

Andres
01-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Now, lemme ask some logistics questions: How much does an album cost in the US? what about Europe?

And would you buy a downloadable online album for half that price? What incentive would you need to buy an online album? Bonus tracks? Freebies?

Andres
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm guessing NO :p

vive le beau jeu !
01-18-2011, 05:50 AM
nobody mentionned "don't chain my heart" ?...

Andres
01-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Bottom of your Soul and I Will Remember will probably make the cut. Bottom of your Soul definitely is.