PDA

View Full Version : Manchego or Iberico cheese from Spain

bad_call
01-08-2011, 03:35 PM
if you've tried either or both which do you prefer?

Dilettante
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
There are many varieties of those cheeses so that depends a lot on the brand, and if they're cured, semicured or tender, etc. The cured are the most dry and with a stronger taste (not for everyone), the tender are soft (and less tasty) and the semicured is a perfect balanced cheese if you have to try and you're not very sure of what variety try first.

If you like a fat cheese with a strong taste, then a Manchego made of sheep's milk. If you prefer a smoother cheese, then an Iberico made of a mix of sheep, cow and goat. Among those two, the Iberico is the most commonly consumed and easier to find at better prices and good quality. I prefer the semicured Iberico because it fits well with many kinds of other aliments, and it's tasty but not too strong.

But again, there are many kinds and brands of those cheeses so the only way to find your favorite is trying.

Of course the best way to eat them is with a red wine, I recommend a Rioja (specially) or a Ribera del Duero. Also, if you like olive oil (I recommend the softer one, with a smoother taste; the heavier and more pure oil has a very acid taste that is not for everyone) you can put some oil on bread and then some cheese. And if you have some good jamón ibérico and some olives on a side plate, nailed it.

El Diablo
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Either is dreadful on a cheese steak....stick with Whiz.

Dilettante
01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh for God's sake man, those cheeses are NOT made for cooking them with a steak... that would be like trying to boil a good wine before drinking it.

Not MacDonald's stuff at all.

bad_call
01-09-2011, 05:48 AM
haven't tried the Iberico yet but the Manchego gets a big thumbs up. not sure if the Iberico would be too "bland" if that's the right word.

Dilettante
01-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Iberico is not exactly bland (except for tender one maybe) but sure is softer than Manchego because the mix of milks. So if you like strong cheese, try a cured Iberico. Not as strong as a cured Manchego but still I think you'll like it. It sure has the softening touch of cow milk but also a bit of the sheep milk sharpness if you know what I mean. It still has that Spanish cheese taste.

From your words though, you sound like a Manchego guy, but anyway the slightly softer Iberico has a place. Specially if you're going to combine it with jamón, chorizo, salchichon, olives or other stuff like that.

bad_call
01-09-2011, 06:31 AM
^^ both the M and I were aged 3 months. might give the I a try since it was quite a bit cheaper.

LameTennisPlayer
01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
What do people think of jarlsberg or maasdam etc... i know its not spanish.... I like a good blue vein cheese with a bit of punch!

bad_call
01-10-2011, 05:52 AM
^^ haven't tried either....since not many cheeses agree with me.

Dilettante
01-10-2011, 06:37 AM
I like the Maasdam. I use to like Dutch cheeses. Although Spanish and Dutch cheeses are apples and oranges really.