PDA

View Full Version : How does Roddick expect to win another slam when he can't hit FH winners?

fedfan08
01-09-2011, 06:53 AM
In his final against Soderling yesterday he hit ZERO FH winners. Soderling's FH winners were double digits. As long as Roddick is content to push from the back of the court he'll never win another slam, IMO. What does he work on with Stefanki? Even if he's moving better, if he's not prepared to pull the trigger does it matter? I still think the Roddick of 2003/2004 with the big serve + big FH was better than who he is today.

AM95
01-09-2011, 07:00 AM
roddicks forehand is all spin. stefanki is making him into a nadalesque grinder. problem is, roddick is nowhere near the level of talent or athleticism of nadal. the best way for him to play, imo, is the way he thrashed nadal in the last two sets in miami last year.

MajinX
01-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Of course it is easy to make this huge criticism after he lost a match playing horribly, just ask urself does he usually play THAT bad? I mean for even roddicks standards he does not usually hit 0 forehand winners in a match, this match was obviously very very one sided.

We have seen him hit winners and play aggresively when he needs to. The score was 6-4 7-5, not some 6-1 6-2 win. He played horribly but yet it was two tight sets. So obviously he felt the way he played was working for him. he didnt feel the need to switch. Maybe he was wrong but thats part of tennis, its easy to say in hindsight that he should have done that and this. but plz u cant expect someone to go head to head with their forehand against soderling and win. soderlings forehand is wat got him into the top 5 in the first place.

dlk
01-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I don't think Roddick played horrible, Sod is now number 4, for a reason. Roddick is still a top 10 guy, but I don't think he'll threaten for a slam again, even though I hope he does.

fedfan08
01-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Of course it is easy to make this huge criticism after he lost a match playing horribly, just ask urself does he usually play THAT bad? I mean for even roddicks standards he does not usually hit 0 forehand winners in a match, this match was obviously very very one sided.

We have seen him hit winners and play aggresively when he needs to. The score was 6-4 7-5, not some 6-1 6-2 win. He played horribly but yet it was two tight sets. So obviously he felt the way he played was working for him. he didnt feel the need to switch. Maybe he was wrong but thats part of tennis, its easy to say in hindsight that he should have done that and this. but plz u cant expect someone to go head to head with their forehand against soderling and win. soderlings forehand is wat got him into the top 5 in the first place.match wasn't as close as scoreline says. Sod had several chances to break in the 2nd set that he blew. Could've easily been 6-2 second set. I wish the ATP kept stats on winners/UEs. It would be interesting to compare Roddick to the rest of the top 10. I'll bet Murray and Nadal hit more winners off the groundn than Andy does. :oops:

fedfan08
01-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I don't think Roddick played horrible, Sod is now number 4, for a reason. Roddick is still a top 10 guy, but I don't think he'll threaten for a slam again, even though I hope he does.Wonder what PMac and the rest of the ESPN crew will say once AO starts. The template they had going broke yesterday when Roddick lost. What they wanted was the story about him working harder than ever in the off season, being hungrier tha ever, etc. And then coming into AO winning an event. Then they could hype him up as being a favorite for AO. But. they can't spin the Brisbane result (though they probably will try). Roddick beat guys you'd expect him to, but the minute he hit a quality opponent he got beat.

Ocean Drive
01-09-2011, 07:37 AM
I do believe Roddick of 2003/04 would be a serious contender to win anything but Roland Garros today. Big serve, big forehand, very fast around the court and very determined, he was a player who expected to win against almost anybody. He used to dictate matches, nowadays it's his opponent dictating matches. I've never been a fan of Roddick but it's annoying to see this guy become so oblivious to where he is going wrong.

It also amuses me to see a big man run around the baseline and deliberately not go for any powerful shots but try and grind the match out, what the hell?

joe sch
01-09-2011, 08:29 AM
roddicks forehand is all spin. stefanki is making him into a nadalesque grinder. problem is, roddick is nowhere near the level of talent or athleticism of nadal. the best way for him to play, imo, is the way he thrashed nadal in the last two sets in miami last year.

Agree ... I would like to see the old ARod slamming aces and FH winners. Combine that with his better defense now on the BH side and his improved slice and he should have a hot at another slam. I also think he needs to play more agresssive allcourt tennis mixing in some SV's and attacking more short balls.

Mortifier
01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
match wasn't as close as scoreline says. Sod had several chances to break in the 2nd set that he blew. Could've easily been 6-2 second set. I wish the ATP kept stats on winners/UEs. It would be interesting to compare Roddick to the rest of the top 10. I'll bet Murray and Nadal hit more winners off the groundn than Andy does. :oops:

I agree, it was not a close contest, not at all. Soderling for instance lost 6 points on serve in the second set. Every baseline rally was dominated by Soderling and even if he hit an UE, he hit two winners to back it up. The first set was also mostly games to love and 15. Only lost 4 points there.

Roddick did not serve all too bad. It was his serve that held him alive for another 20 minutes in the match. I think Sod converted 2/10 BP's which is pretty low even for him.

joeri888
01-11-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Roddick doesn't get enough credit. I think he's got a lot of work to do but conditions were tough as well. Sure he needs to be more aggressive, but he's done a lot of good stuff, even the past few years. His wimbledon run was fantastic and so was his IW/miami double last year. Hope it clicks once more at some point and I believe it's not entirely impossible.

single_handed_champion
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
That Wimbledon run seems more and more like an anomaly now. I was shocked to see him take charge of so many points at the time, which is what won him the match against Murray and made the final so close.

His improved fitness has lulled him into a sense of complacency regarding his tactics. If an opponent is serving well (all the top guys do) and returning well (all of them do), he will be outplayed from the baseline. In the last few Slams, he's been hit off the court by Gabashvili, Lu (even though it was extremely close) and Tipsarevic.

jdubbs
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I sort of played like him (in my own 4.0 rated version), big serve, improving my fitness and staying in points, but giving up a lot of winners.

I vowed to start crushing the ball and figuring out how to keep it in. Now I hit a ton more winners or set up points for putaways.

He needs to have a winners mentality of crushing shots. If the UE's go up, fine, but at least try to win.

1477aces
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
recently he's been hitting harder forehands, the off-forehand has become flat again. but it's nowhere near the level it was. And he used to move better too, in 03-04 after hewitt, he was the fastest, and for a while he had on the best footwork. his bh is the only area where he has improved since 03-04, then it used to hit no winners and miss a hellish number of times, now, it just goes over the net, no winner no UE. His volleying is way worse, watch AO 03, he was S&V successfully in the QF on rebound ace, he used to be a good volleyer, now he is average/poor at vollleying. he's gotten more one-dimensional, not less. the way he was playing in 09 W, and IW/M 10 was good, playing consistent, but hitting when he had a chance for a winner, serving like a beast, and volleying + slicing ocasionally to throw off the oponent., good tennis, easily top 5 tennis. now, he's playing top 20 tennis.