PDA

View Full Version : In your opinions what are the best and worst tennis stadiums

NikeTennisGuy
01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
please list and you can list one being constructed.

FeVer
01-09-2011, 08:19 AM
The O2 isn't strictly a tennis stadium, but it's still one of the best places in the world to watch the game. Valencia is a nice arena,
Monte Carlo as well overlooking the Mediterranean, Wimbledon Centre Court and Arthur Ashe stadium 'coz it's so huge.

shaysrebelII
01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't know if the stadium itself is poor, but I've heard a number of tennis personalities gripe about the Madrid Masters. I specifically remember Darren Cahill saying the courts weren't fit for any professional tennis venue, let alone a Masters 1000.

Ocean Drive
01-09-2011, 09:22 AM
The new Madrid stadium is very ugly as well as Valencia.

Mortifier
01-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I like the one in Swedish Open, but I may be biased since I only live 15 miles from there. It's situated by the beach but still very much inside Bastad. It's a pretty little place with narrow streets and it's tidy and looked after for. Old buildings surrounding the complex, you can see the sea from most places and it's basically the definition of 'picturesque'.

Monte Carlo, Queens, Halle, Estoril and Washington has always been favourites of mine (and I'm not counting the GS and WTF, they go without saying).

Douggo
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Du Maurier in Montreal. Was there a few years back to see Bjorkman beat some unknown American. The seat bottoms aren't spring-loaded to stay up. I bumped one with my leg, and it dropped with a loud bang. I got looks from both players, in the upper deck, as there were about 40 people in the whole stadium. Oops.

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't know if the stadium itself is poor, but I've heard a number of tennis personalities gripe about the Madrid Masters. I specifically remember Darren Cahill saying the courts weren't fit for any professional tennis venue, let alone a Masters 1000.

The altitude is 646 meters above sea level at Madrid, that's why I hate it.

Rorsach
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM

The new Madrid stadium is very ugly as well as Valencia.

Who gives a flying **** about the stadium. Have you seen the ballgirls there? They more than make up for the stadium.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/madridbabes4-300x400.jpg

BrooklynNY
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
http://http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/BallgirlsBARC_800x533.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/ballgirlmadrid1910_468x815.jpg

Madrid....FTW!!!!! Tennis is boring nowadays anyway.

luishcorreia
01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Best: O2 and Madrid.

Worst: Estoril Open pre-fabricated central stadium

Rock Strongo
01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I like the one in Swedish Open, but I may be biased since I only live 15 miles from there. It's situated by the beach but still very much inside Bastad. It's a pretty little place with narrow streets and it's tidy and looked after for. Old buildings surrounding the complex, you can see the sea from most places and it's basically the definition of 'picturesque'.

Monte Carlo, Queens, Halle, Estoril and Washington has always been favourites of mine (and I'm not counting the GS and WTF, they go without saying).

I agree with you. Båstad houses perhaps the most beautiful tennis arena in the world. The scenery alone is worth going there. It's not the most accessible place though but once you get there, it's like tennis heaven. Are you going this year?

Mortifier
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with you. Båstad houses perhaps the most beautiful tennis arena in the world. The scenery alone is worth going there. It's not the most accessible place though but once you get there, it's like tennis heaven. Are you going this year?

Båstad isn't really made for that many people and every year it gets worse, but it kinda adds to the atmosphere. But as you said, it's really worth it when you've got your car parked (free for me since I'm a SAAB-owner). :)

I did not go last year but I went the two years before that. I did not expect the Soderling-boom in ticket sales, since I've "always" been into tennis I didn't notice a change in Sweden until it was sold out. :(

This year I'm going. Probably on Friday and perhaps even one more day. How bout you? Been there before and going this year?

BHud
01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I really like the set-up in Key Biscayne (Miami Sony-Erricson). There's something about palm trees, purple courts, and oh yeh...South Beach, that makes me love the place!

Rock Strongo
01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Båstad isn't really made for that many people and every year it gets worse, but it kinda adds to the atmosphere. But as you said, it's really worth it when you've got your car parked (free for me since I'm a SAAB-owner). :)

I did not go last year but I went the two years before that. I did not expect the Soderling-boom in ticket sales, since I've "always" been into tennis I didn't notice a change in Sweden until it was sold out. :(

This year I'm going. Probably on Friday and perhaps even one more day. How bout you? Been there before and going this year?

It'll be my first time actually watching tennis this year. All other years i've just taken in the surroundings and getting free stuff :P I'll be going on Wednesday and Sunday and perhaps buy a ground pass the other days. I've already booked my tickets as they send to sell out rather quickly :)

ollinger
01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Size matters. In this case, the small ones are the best, the big ones are the worst.

Rorsach
01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Size matters. In this case, the small ones are the best, the big ones are the worst.

I kinda disagree. Sometimes large are better:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/ballgirlmadrid1910_468x815.jpg

Oh sorry. You were talking about stadiums. Completely forgot about that.

ollinger
01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh, that reminds me....the Golden Globes are on this Sunday.

Gizo
01-10-2011, 01:30 PM
While the stadia themselves don't seem that the impressive, the location of the Umag tournament looks very scenic:
http://freeweb.t-2.net/djuba/images/umag_tennis.jpg

Madrid is hideous. Many of the stadia look like prison blocks. I would have preferred it if the Barcelona tournament which is in a great location and has a lot of history had been upgraded to a masters series tennis event instead of Madrid winning the rights.

Mortifier
01-10-2011, 11:41 PM
It'll be my first time actually watching tennis this year. All other years i've just taken in the surroundings and getting free stuff :P I'll be going on Wednesday and Sunday and perhaps buy a ground pass the other days. I've already booked my tickets as they send to sell out rather quickly :)

You can do that too of course. :) This is just my opinion, but I've gone to the final once in Båstad and I would not actually recommend it. Since the WTA-tournament has been there the week before and the ATP-tourny the following week the place has basically been packed nonstop, 24/7. But at that Sunday people seem to have either left or they're just massively hung over... The town just seems rather 'dead' to me that day if you compare it to most other days, but hey (!), you're gonna be given Class A tennis! (Plus, you're only gonna get one singles match and one doubles match and if the singles one suck, you're basically stranded)

Friday/Saturday would be optimal for me, 3 or 2 singles matches and that's enough for me. Your deemed to be watching some good tennis if you see 3 QF's, one is bound to be pretty good.

Back on the stadiums topic: The dullest stadiums for me are in the US. Houston, Delray Beach and Newport (I know it holds some sentimental value, but I just can't see it) are not my favorites exactly. S'Heartengebosch (know idea about the spelling) I'm not too fond of.

piece
01-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Halle centre court. For sure.

Nuke
01-11-2011, 05:29 AM
For best, I'll say the US Open Grandstand court.

jack_kramer
01-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Among slam showcourts:

1. Centre Court :grin:
2. Phillippe Chatrier :-P
3. Rod Laver Arena ;-)
4. Arthur Ashe Stadium :oops: