PDA

View Full Version : Changing grip shape

Robert Jones
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I have two different models of Prince Racquets. Both are 3 size or 4 3/8s. One grip feels great the other feels less secure in my hand. I use the same overgrip on both.

The handle that I don't like as much is almost round which makes it feel like it will twist easier. I would like to make the shape more oval or rectangular. So I;m thinking I need to somehow add something under the grip to make the handle slightly thicker in one direction.

Anyone have ideas how to do this?

stevewcosta
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Robert,
You can always try the cardboard from the back of a legal pad. Cut strips and glue or tape them to either the top & bottom or side bevels. That may help.

marty fewcott
04-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Robert,

there is a superb device called a "Wonder Wedge" (http://www.tennisgeometrics.com) that will give a pronounced bevel for sure location of the hand and twist avoidance. It works very well on both the Princes (Original Graphite oversize and TT Rebel) in my bag.

Other than that take the grip right off and use double sided tape to attach strips of something. A good material for grip customising is eraser rubber. It is easy to cut and shape, but firm.

babar
04-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Marty,

How does the WW affect grip size? Does it make the grip feel a lot larger? Also, Head and Volkl grip shapes are different than Prince and Wilson ones. How does it affect those? Thanks.

marty fewcott
04-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Babar,
the Wonder Wedge adds 1/4" (6mm) to circumference, but because the shape fits the hand better it feels OK. The Wedge itself is made of a rubber type material (Sorbothane) so it can be used with just an overgrip or two (depends on thickness) rather than a full grip. This brings the grip size back a touch. All my "wedged" grips are size 5 (4 5/8") and they are still comfortable.

The only other racket modified by myself is a Yonex. However the inventor of Wonder Wedge, Ed ***an, is a Head user. Ed has promptly answered all email questions put to him by me. The Wedge can be easily trimmed with a model knife if it feels too big or overhangs the flat of the grip face.

My feeling is that grip customisation is an overlooked aspect of rackets. Sampras had his stringer, Nate Ferguson, make changes to all his grips.