PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a rule change in serving in lefties vs righties matches...

salsainglesa
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I think that lefties have an advantage at the Ad side of the court by using the slice serve. I know the righties have the same advantage at the deuce side. But it is better to have this advantage at break points than deuce points, the same applies to your own advantages.

The idea is that whenever a righty faces a lefty they should begin their service games at opposite sides.
That is, righties could start at 0-0 on the ad side, and lefties should start at the deuce side, so there is no diference. Or the other way, righties at adds on 0-0, and righties at duece like normally.

Maybe even switch between sets.

This would also make tie breaks more fair.

What do you think?

Noodles
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
That isn't gonna help Federer win matches.

salsainglesa
01-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Of course it wouldnt, and I couldn't care less about that. Hehehehe i knew this was coming... try not to think of that.
and come up with another answear.

MajinX
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

lmao. seriously i did not even think fed or nadal once when i was reading the thread. probably coz im not obsessed with either of them.

ON topic, this is a strange idea.. i really have no input since i lack experience playing against lefties and havent paid enough attention to see if its really a big advantage.

LameTennisPlayer
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I think that lefties have an advantage at the Ad side of the court by using the slice serve. I know the righties have the same advantage at the deuce side. But it is better to have this advantage at break points than deuce points, the same applies to your own advantages.

The idea is that whenever a righty faces a lefty they should begin their service games at opposite sides.
That is, righties could start at 0-0 on the ad side, and lefties should start at the deuce side, so there is no diference. Or the other way, righties at adds on 0-0, and righties at duece like normally.

What do you think?

And when lefties play lefties this apparent advantage cancels each other out? So play would be as it stands currently? What about in doubles play when you have 1 lefty and 1 righty vs 2 righties/2 lefties etc etc... you will end up mindbending most players with half a brain. You can not have inconsistencies in sport, especially at an attempt to neutralise some form of genetic advantage.

Drago
01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I like the idea and don't see problems with that. In fact it is fair this way. But the rules of doubles became too complicated however.

jack_kramer
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
And they should call it the ******* rule :roll:

fed_rulz
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM

What do you think?

This thought did strike me, and I do think it would be fair. Anyways, it would seem odd though :)

Jchurch
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Feels more like this rule would be in WTT. Not trying to belittle world team tennis in any way. Just how I feel.

Wilander Fan
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
But lefties also cannot kick it out wide on the ad side as well as a righty so i think it evens out. When playing a lefty, you really only need to watch the T when they are serving on your ad side. Anyway, rafa doesnt have a real left serve and cannot slice it wide.

Anyway, I think you raise a good point.

sdstefanov
01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
If the ATP and WTA impose the no-adv rule to the singles game, receivers can chose a side...

Respectively righties can pick the deuce side and lefties the left...

Would be fairer...however, I'm not a big fan of no-ad scoring....it takes some of the fun and the drama away from the game...

dirtballer
01-10-2011, 04:39 AM
I believe lefties serving in the ad court was a big advantage in the wood racket days. I think it's still a slight advantage but with new technology and two handed backhands, I don't think the advantage is that great. In the wood racket days, a lefty would serve that big slice into the ad court and come to the net. The receiver woth his one handed backhand and wood racket often could do nothing more than block it back and the server would have an easy volley winner.

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Federer leads Marcelo Rios 2-0
Federer leads Feliciano Lopez 7-0
Federer leads Greg Rusedski 4-1
Federer leads Fernando Verdasco 4-0
Federer leads Goran Ivanisevic 2-0
Federer leads Jarkko Nieminen 11-0
Federer leads Gilles Muller 3-0
Federer leads Stefan Koubek 4-1
Federer leads Michael Llodra 1-0
Federer leads Irakli Labadze 1-0
Federer leads Thomas Schoorel 1-0
Kenneth Carlsen leads Federer 1-0
Rafael Nadal leads Federer 14-8

Totai
01-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Federer leads Marcelo Rios 2-0
Federer leads Feliciano Lopez 7-0
Federer leads Greg Rusedski 4-1
Federer leads Fernando Verdasco 4-0
Federer leads Goran Ivanisevic 2-0
Federer leads Jarkko Nieminen 11-0
Federer leads Gilles Muller 3-0
Federer leads Stefan Koubek 4-1
Federer leads Michael Llodra 1-0
Federer leads Irakli Labadze 1-0
Federer leads Thomas Schoorel 1-0
Kenneth Carlsen leads Federer 1-0
Rafael Nadal leads Federer 14-8

Federer does not need any help beating anyone, so obviosly this thread is not about Federer, but about the regular humans that play tennis.

Anyway, back to the OPs post. I don't think it is neccessary to negate a person's natural advantage in tennis. If your rule is applied and the lefty advantage is negated, whats next? a naturally fast player has to wear weights on their legs to make them slower?

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Left-handers rarely succeed at tennis.

Rock Strongo
01-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Left-handers rarely succeed at tennis.

Laver, Connors, McEnroe, Navratilova, Seles et al were all left handers and has succeeded more than most players will ever do. Now we have Nadal too, so it kinda evens out.

Can anyone compile a list over righties winning slams vs lefties winning slams?

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Laver, Connors, McEnroe, Navratilova, Seles et al were all left handers and has succeeded more than most players will ever do. Now we have Nadal too, so it kinda evens out.

Can anyone compile a list over righties winning slams vs lefties winning slams?

All those are retired. Today's game is all about the right hand.

BHud
01-10-2011, 06:29 AM

I wasn't aware that he needed help winning matches? His record seems pretty good to me...

Eternally_damned
01-10-2011, 06:39 AM
And when lefties play lefties this apparent advantage cancels each other out? So play would be as it stands currently? What about in doubles play when you have 1 lefty and 1 righty vs 2 righties/2 lefties etc etc... you will end up mindbending most players with half a brain. You can not have inconsistencies in sport, especially at an attempt to neutralise some form of genetic advantage.

On the contrary, I think the OP's idea makes the sport MORE consistent, not LESS.

Wolland
01-10-2011, 06:46 AM

8 - 15 % is the left-handed population, so it is only natural that there will be few lefties playing tennis.

HunterST
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
How are people not completely trashing this idea? It's completely ridonkulous. You're going to change the rules in certain matches based on the attributes of the players?

You can not modify the rules of tennis to eliminate everything that you perceive as an advantage. There isn't even a problem with lefties having an advantage. If you look at most players, their record against lefties isn't much different from their overall record.

ashitaka2010
01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
What do you think?

That it would kill everything I love about the game.

kevoT
01-10-2011, 09:33 AM
It feels the same as playing against any other player. As for doubles, if the righty plays on the d side and the lefty on the ad side then it's an advantage for the all righty side (This was my match BTW) because you're able to serve to the middle of the court the whole time.

SirGounder
01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
The only advantage I really see for lefties is that there aren't many of them out there, so you can't prepare as well for them. Any pro should be able to make the adjustment.

Devilito
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
The only advantage I really see for lefties is that there aren't many of them out there, so you can't prepare as well for them. Any pro should be able to make the adjustment.

end of thread. Lefties have an advantage but this thread is barking up the wrong tree. Find a lefty partner and practice with him daily. Advantage, over.

Pioneer
01-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Lefties have a SLIGHT advantage in tennis, often critical in close matchups.

Get used to it.

tacou
01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
hows it fair to change the rules for certain players

OrangePower
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I think what the OP is suggesting is too specific.

But what would be interesting is a broader rule, that allows the receiver to elect what side of the court the first point is to be served from. And then the game continues from there - so if the receiver elected to receive from the "ad" court, then at 30-15 the server servers from the "deuce" court, at deuce the serve comes from the "ad" court (haha the irony), and at ad the serve comes from the "deuce" court.

If the receiver elects to start in the "deuce" court, then no change from current format.

Similar to how receiver gets to choose on deuce point in no-ad games, except that this is with regular ad scoring and the choice is made right at the first point.

Then there are no special rules that need to be followed for righties, lefties, and various combinations in dubs - just leave it up to the receiver to decide.

LameTennisPlayer
01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
On the contrary, I think the OP's idea makes the sport MORE consistent, not LESS.

How would it be more consistent? Especially in doubles. The flow of the game would be affected. This is only an attempt to neutralise a minimal advantage that a lefty has over a righty in 1 aspect of the game. How about players who are ambidextrous? Do they have to use only 1 hand now because both would be two advantageous for them? I see the point of the question, however I don't agree with it as it is merely a genetic advantage which should not influence the rules in any way. It is like saying that playing low bouncing slice shots should not be played against people over 6' 5 inches, or heavy kick serves for people under 5' 3 inches etc etc... if it is directed at the regular weekend warrior, which I am sure it isn't.

LameTennisPlayer
01-10-2011, 12:12 PM

But what would be interesting is a broader rule, that allows the receiver to elect what side of the court the first point is to be served from. And then the game continues from there - so if the receiver elected to receive from the "ad" court, then at 30-15 the server servers from the "deuce" court, at deuce the serve comes from the "ad" court (haha the irony), and at ad the serve comes from the "deuce" court.

If the receiver elects to start in the "deuce" court, then no change from current format.

Similar to how receiver gets to choose on deuce point in no-ad games, except that this is with regular ad scoring and the choice is made right at the first point.

Then there are no special rules that need to be followed for righties, lefties, and various combinations in dubs - just leave it up to the receiver to decide.

Ok I like this idea! +1
Since the element of choice is brought into play.

Eternally_damned
01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
How would it be more consistent? Especially in doubles. The flow of the game would be affected. This is only an attempt to neutralise a minimal advantage that a lefty has over a righty in 1 aspect of the game. How about players who are ambidextrous? Do they have to use only 1 hand now because both would be two advantageous for them? I see the point of the question, however I don't agree with it as it is merely a genetic advantage which should not influence the rules in any way. It is like saying that playing low bouncing slice shots should not be played against people over 6' 5 inches, or heavy kick serves for people under 5' 3 inches etc etc... if it is directed at the regular weekend warrior, which I am sure it isn't.

I'm not agreeing with it. I'm just saying it makes the game more consistently fair, as you yourself admit above. Neutralizing a minimal advantage is evening the table.

Hell the whole world is set up for righties, I welcome advantages for lefties.

egn
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Left handers are 10 percent of the population so about 10 percent of the top players should be left handed. You have two left handers in the top 10. They are doing just find then add Michael Llodra, Thomaz Belluci, Feliciano Lopez, Jarkko Nieminen, Michael Berrer, Ricardo Mello., Adrian Mannarino, Mischa Zverev, Brian Dabul thats 11 guys right now in the top 100 who are left handed. Left handers are doing fine.

salsainglesa
01-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Me likey likey... its an improvement over the original idea...
I think it would be great to encourage something like this.
Maybe selecting wich side to recieve for an entire set and then you can change your choice, it would add tactical depth.
In 5 sets this decision could be crucial.
It could be fun i think

Herdsman76
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
If we changed the rules as requested, then we might as well change them so that a player doesn't have to serve when the Sun is in their eyes. Or against the wind, what-have-you...

Tennis, like any sport, has a set of rules that doesn't take into account a player's abilities, strengths, or weaknesses. If we modify the sport or any sport to "level" the playing field, then why play the sport? I don't know about you guys but I play to win and any advantage I can get or have, I'm using it. If you don't like a lefty with a great serve pulling you wide in the ad-court, then work on your return of serve. Plain and simple.

My point is that no matter the sport, lefties or righties will have advantages but I'm for one not to change the rules to make things "level".

I know this thread is all about sparking conversation and having fun. Heck I'm all for it. How about this one for the Pros:

Make all the players in a tournament play "weak" handed in the first round. Rafa Nadal (Right handed), Roger Federer (Left handed), etc. Then in the second round they play strong handed with..... Only One Serve. In the third round, heck, let's make them play 2-handed both ways...

I'd love to see how the pros would do if we mixed up the rules a bit.

And for the record, yes I'm a lefty living in a right handed world! LOL :)

Eternally_damned
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
So basically Superman is the GOAT then.