PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most factually inaccurate piece of tennis journalism ever?

batz
01-10-2011, 05:38 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis-news/2011/01/10/andy-murray-facing-tough-draw-in-australian-open-after-dropping-to-no-5-in-world-rankings-86908-22838803/

*Doublefacepalm*

Bud
01-10-2011, 06:01 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis-news/2011/01/10/andy-murray-facing-tough-draw-in-australian-open-after-dropping-to-no-5-in-world-rankings-86908-22838803/

*Doublefacepalm*

Why don't you quote some of the inaccuracies for us.

dlk
01-10-2011, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I'm confused as well. The thread title is way over the top, to bizarre.

Hitman
01-10-2011, 06:10 AM

Here's one. Can you see what it is. :)

"But if the seedings go to plan, Murray will have to beat world top gun Rafael Nadal in the last eight then second-ranked Roger Federer in the semis before squaring up to No.3 Novak Djokovic in the Final."

dlk
01-10-2011, 06:12 AM

"But if the seedings go to plan, Murray will have to beat world top gun Rafael Nadal in the last eight then second-ranked Roger Federer in the semis before squaring up to No.3 Novak Djokovic in the Final."

Yes, I questioned this too. Wouldn't he face Fed in the final?

Fedex
01-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Why let some stats get in the way of a good story.
Doing some research would only spoil the journalist's flow -one view.
Second view - lazy journalism.

Bud
01-10-2011, 06:29 AM

I don't think this small error qualifies the article to be "the most factually inaccurate piece of tennis journalism ever?" :)

If Murray did beat Nadal in the QF he'd then play Djokovic (SF) and then Federer (F) if all goes as planned, correct? It seems the writer simply transposed Djokovic and Federer.

Federerx16
01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
^ :lol:I agree. But the headline is rather over the top though.

cknobman
01-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Well the way the journalist wrote the article he makes it sound as if the draw has already been made.

Has the AO draw come out?

Plus his tripe of an article shows how he knows jack squat about tennis draws and seedings. #1 and #2 are always on opposite halves of the draw so it would be impossible for Murray to have to face both Rafa and Federer BEFORE the finals.

That is why it is one of the most inaccurate pieces written in recent memory.

Bud
01-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Well the way the journalist wrote the article he makes it sound as if the draw has already been made.

Has the AO draw come out?

That is why it is one of the most inaccurate pieces written in recent memory.

No, but how much would you like to bet that Murray is once again in Rafa's half being (now) ranked #5. They say these draws aren't rigged... I'm a bit suspicious and will be more so when I see where Murray lands.

Fedex
01-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Yeah, I'm confused as well. The thread title is way over the top, to bizarre.

ANDY MURRAY faces hell Down Under after dropping to No.5 in the world rankings.

NO. AUSTRALIA IS PARADISE

But if the seedings go to plan, Murray will have to beat world top gun Rafael Nadal in the last eight then second-ranked Roger Federer in the semis before squaring up to No.3 Novak Djokovic in the Final.

IMPOSSIBLE. CAN'T HAVE NADAL AND FED IN THE SAME HALF

It's a nightmare prospect but Murray - who was shoved out of the No.4 spot by Robin Soderling yesterday - insists he's not fazed.

JUST A NIGHTMARE BEING A MILLIONAIRE PLAYING YOUR FAVOURITE SPORT

Now he's convinced he can go one better when the first Major tennis tournament of the year starts a week today.

MURRAY IS NOT CONVINCED

Tennis sensation
01-10-2011, 06:51 AM

Yeah. That;s bizarre.

So what this article was saying is that #1 seed faces #5 seed in the quarters.
Then let;s say that Nadal wins. So then in the semis #1 seed faces the #2 seed and in the finals the winner faces the #3 seed. :confused:

This is a joke.

batz
01-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Well done to the sleuths.

It's not just that the author thinks Rafa and Fed are in the same half of the draw, he also thinks that Murray WILL be drawn to play Rafa in the quarters.

Apart from that - it's a brillliant piece of journalism.

dandelion_smiley
01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
No, but how much would you like to bet that Murray is once again in Rafa's half being (now) ranked #5. They say these draws aren't rigged... I'm a bit suspicious and will be more so when I see where Murray lands.

Of course if Murray is in Nadals half (or even quarter) you can cry as usual but if Muzza ends in Federer's draw, Federer wins in straights and on we go.

FD3S
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Doubt it beats the article I read once that referred to the grass of Roland Garros.

Fedex
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Well done to the sleuths.

It's not just that the author thinks Rafa and Fed are in the same half of the draw, he also thinks that Murray WILL be drawn to play Rafa in the quarters.

Apart from that - it's a brillliant piece of journalism.

Can't beat the Record for a good yarn.
Mix in a bit of fantasy with some facts. Add some stuff that you're not so sure about but, what the hell, it sounds good so I'll put it in anyway and I know it's close enough so it'll do.
Result - compelling story that sounds factually correct that only nerd tennis fans will pick up on but the masses will accept without question so it doesn't matter.

abmk
01-10-2011, 08:19 AM

*Doublefacepalm*

Maybe he's joined this forum recently:

1.http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=363200

that explains the QF part.

2.Then he's gone nuts trying to understand what exactly goes on here , that explains the SF and the F opponents mix up

:)

fedfan08
01-10-2011, 09:58 AM
No, but how much would you like to bet that Murray is once again in Rafa's half being (now) ranked #5. They say these draws aren't rigged... I'm a bit suspicious and will be more so when I see where Murray lands.What does Murray being in Nadal's half have to do with being rigged? Murray was in Nadal's half at the US Open last year and never faced him. Even if he does land in Nadal's quarter it doesn't mean either one will get there to play each other or if they both do that Murray will beat Nadal.

Bud
01-10-2011, 10:07 AM
What does Murray being in Nadal's half have to do with being rigged? Murray was in Nadal's half at the US Open last year and never faced him. Even if he does land in Nadal's quarter it doesn't mean either one will get there to play each other or if they both do that Murray will beat Nadal.

Check out the last 8 or so grand slam draws.

Please, Murray's chances of beating Nadal are slim.

batz
01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Check out the last 8 or so grand slam draws.

Bud - those events have no relation to each other. Murray has a probability of 0.5 of being in Rafa's half - that's all she wrote.

Sharpshooter
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't get how these draws work, last year Rafa was the number 2 seed and Murray 5, yet they met in the quarters. This year Rog will be number 2 seed with Murray again 5 right? So chances are we'll see a Murray v Fed QF based on last year's draw.

But then again, it changes every year so this guy could not possibly know what the draw is. Not sure what he based his story on.

batz
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't get how these draws work, last year Rafa was the number 2 seed and Murray 5, yet they met in the quarters. This year Rog will be number 2 seed with Murray again 5 right? So chances are we'll see a Murray v Fed QF based on last year's draw.But then again, it changes every year so this guy could not possibly know what the draw is. Not sure what he based his story on.

No mate - the draw is done at random. Murray could be drawn to meet any of the top 4 seeds in the quarters.

zapvor
01-10-2011, 07:45 PM
this reminds me of espn anchors talking about tennis during wimby time...clueless

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
This isn't journalism really, and its not 'inaccurate' but its just a funny commentary blooper -

Fred Stolle 2000 Australian Open SF, at the commencement of 3rd set tie-breaker:

"Agassi leads Sampras 1-0 in tie-breakers at the Australian Open. But they've only played a handful of them so not much to go by there."

woodrow1029
01-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Not necessarily. Djokovic doesn't need to be in Nadal's half.

nadal_slam_king
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
No mate - the draw is done at random. Murray could be drawn to meet any of the top 4 seeds in the quarters.

It'd be boring if Murray meets Soderling. If Murray meets Djokovic (very new and interesting), or Federer (unique for a QF), or Rafa (epic), then it'd be great. Murray really does play the role of God at this AO. Or sort of like if God was formed after the big bang (big bang in this case being the 'randomized' draw).

obsessedtennisfandisorder
01-11-2011, 05:27 AM
I don't understand the article...5th seed could meet any of top4 seeds 25% chance each for quarterfinal...not sure nadal.

nadal vs Murray quarter 25%, semi 25%, final 50% chances,total 100

joeri888
01-11-2011, 05:48 AM
It'd be boring if Murray meets Soderling. If Murray meets Djokovic (very new and interesting), or Federer (unique for a QF), or Rafa (epic), then it'd be great. Murray really does play the role of God at this AO. Or sort of like if God was formed after the big bang (big bang in this case being the 'randomized' draw).

No. Only if he ends in Rafa's quarter I think. He can beat Rafa on a hardcourt. Roger in this form will make the final, regardless of his draw, and Djokovic won't make the final regardless of his draw. Therefore, it's either Federer-Nadal or Federer-Murray, imo. I really don't see Fed losing to Murray at the AO.

batz
01-11-2011, 05:58 AM
No. Only if he ends in Rafa's quarter I think. He can beat Rafa on a hardcourt. Roger in this form will make the final, regardless of his draw, and Djokovic won't make the final regardless of his draw. Therefore, it's either Federer-Nadal or Federer-Murray, imo. I really don't see Fed losing to Murray at the AO.

Sadly, I have to agree with this.

nadal_slam_king
01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Don't forget, Murray has only lost to Federer in slams when they met in Finals. That could be the key to Murray's problems, maybe he just isn't confident in the GS Final spotlight. He's beaten Federer enough in less important events. Maybe a QF will bring out Murray's best. I wouldn't rule it out. Federer and Murray are the equal favorites in my book.

rainingaces
01-11-2011, 06:09 AM
No, but it might be the most over hyped thread title ever.