PDA

View Full Version : Which Is More recognized? IB? SAT? A Levels? HSC?

Pocky
01-11-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm looking for some information on these boards to get an opinion in which is best for me to take, considering that I get best scores for everything just to make it fair

I would like to get into a college in the US, Ivy hopefully

Let me know if you need any more information!

Thanks heaps!

Rippy
01-11-2011, 04:53 AM
What country are you from?

Pocky
01-11-2011, 05:27 AM
New Zealand why?

max
01-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Have you been involved with International Baccalaureate?

Rippy
01-11-2011, 05:44 AM
New Zealand why?

Well I dunno, surely you should just do whatever exams people normally do in New Zealand, then if you need any additional entrance tests for US universities, then you do those as well?

Pocky
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't done IB if that's what you mean. Yes, but which test is most recognized as part of the additional entrance tests?

tennisnoob3
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm looking for some information on these boards to get an opinion in which is best for me to take, considering that I get best scores for everything just to make it fair

Thanks heaps!

LOLOL. these tests are nothing like what you're used to, especially in new zealand. what year are you in secondary school? isn't A levels British? never heard of HSC, so that is definitely the lowest

JRstriker12
01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks heaps!

You would probably be better off going to the websites of the schools you want to attend and reading their requirements for applying and being accepted - AND/OR contacting their department that handles incoming applications.

They may even have info on equivalent tests / requirements for students coming in from abroad.

Probably give you a much better chance than asking a bunch of tennis junkies (myself included).

Really- if you want to go Ivy league, might help if you put in the work and find out for yourself?

Rippy
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I haven't done IB if that's what you mean. Yes, but which test is most recognized as part of the additional entrance tests?

Well IB and A Levels certainly aren't "additional entrance tests".

In New Zealand, do you not do public examinations in your final year of school before university? I would imagine it would be normal to do those exams, and then check the websites of the Ivy League Universities you are interested in to see if you need to do an entrance test as well.

ProgressoR
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes I would do well at whatever is "normal" for the exams in NZ, and then prepare for the relevant entry exams for where you want to go. No point picking A levels vs IB etc based just on where you might want to go.

Anyway A levels used to be the very best, until O levels were dumbed down to GCSE and A levels also had to be dumbed down, so A levels are no longer the gold standard they used to be. Even in the UK more schools are doing IB now.