PDA

View Full Version : Intersting how womens Australian Open has little drama but mens has lots

NadalAgassi
01-11-2011, 07:46 AM
It is intersting how the womens event at the Australian Open has Clijsters as a virtual lock for the title but the mens seems fairly open amongst several players.

kishnabe
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Clijsters as a virtual lock :lol: Come on man...WTA is so random...expect Bartoli to win!

Bryan Swartz
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah I see no reason to see Clijsters as a lock -- a major contender, certainly, but she has never won AO and lost in the third round last year ... the WTA is almost always more open than the ATP in Slams and no exception this year I don't think.

Totai
01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Men's tennis has Nadal and Federer as 2 polarizing figures. Those 2 figures also have a great supporting cast for the drama, murray, nole, delpo, sod

Who does womens tennis have? The only polarizing figure I can think of atm on the women's side is Serena, and she isnt even playing the australian open

TMF
01-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Men's tennis has Nadal and Federer as 2 polarizing figures. Those 2 figures also have a great supporting cast for the drama, murray, nole, delpo, sod

Who does womens tennis have? The only polarizing figure I can think of atm on the women's side is Serena, and she isnt even playing the australian open

That was last year, this year is totally difference. Serena hasnít played for over half a year, so thereís no way sheís in shape and ready to compete with these young, talented players. You just canít flip the switch on/off anytime you want to.

Markov
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Every WTA event is a complete lottery these days..

jdubbs
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll watch the womens just to see Wozniaki's new outfit. I sure love me some Caroline!

li0scc0
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
It is intersting how the womens event at the Australian Open has Clijsters as a virtual lock for the title but the mens seems fairly open amongst several players.

? Really? Does anybody think Nadal or Federer isn't going to win? Maaayyyybbbbe Djokovic, maaayyyybbbbe Murray.
I could see 6 women winning. The women's side is far more open.

jdubbs
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
? Really? Does anybody think Nadal or Federer isn't going to win? Maaayyyybbbbe Djokovic, maaayyyybbbbe Murray.

Robin Soderling says hi.

nikdom
01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
The title is misleading. Drama means something negative to me. Interesting rivalries or sub plots is more appropriate.

flyinghippos101
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I could see 6 women winning. The women's side is far more open.

Open-ness doesn't necessarily imply drama or interest, nor entertainment :neutral:

dandelion_smiley
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
nobody cares about the WTA

The only player I can bare watching is Henin and sometimes Clijsters, the rest is garbage

In D Zone
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
That was last year, this year is totally difference. Serena hasn’t played for over half a year, so there’s no way she’s in shape and ready to compete with these young, talented players. You just can’t flip the switch on/off anytime you want to.

Its different when you are referring to Serena's ability to win SLAMS.

Oh YES Serena can flip that switch!

Google Serena 2006 and 2007...
In 2006 Serena ranking dropped to 95 played only 4 tournament.
2007 came into AO ranked 81 and was regarded as "out of shape'. She destroyed Maria Sharapova in the AO finals 6-1/ 6-2.

Her performance in the final was described by TENNIS.com as "one of the best performances of her career" and by BBC Sport as "arguably the most powerful display ever seen in women's tennis".

NadalAgassi
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah I see no reason to see Clijsters as a lock -- a major contender, certainly, but she has never won AO and lost in the third round last year ... the WTA is almost always more open than the ATP in Slams and no exception this year I don't think.

Even if not a lock she is the heavy favorite. And the bookies seem to think so too. Her odds are much below everyone else to win right now.

8PAQ
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I think the main point is that few people care who will win AO for WTA. I wish they always played WTA night matches after ATP night matches in given stadium. Then you just wait and see how empty it would get. I bet these days people watch WTA just because they wait for ATP match to start.

OrangePower
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
nobody cares about the WTA

+1

I mean, I'll watch some of the women's matches if the TV happens to be on at the time, but I really don't particularly care who's playing or who ends up winning.

Whereas there are many more interesting characters and storylines in the men's game, plus I'll be rooting for certain matchups to take place.

TMF
01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Its different when you are referring to Serena's ability to win SLAMS.

Oh YES Serena can flip that switch!

Google Serena 2006 and 2007...
In 2006 Serena ranking dropped to 95 played only 4 tournament.
2007 came into AO ranked 81 and was regarded as "out of shape'. She destroyed Maria Sharapova in the AO finals 6-1/ 6-2.

Her performance in the final was described by TENNIS.com as "one of the best performances of her career" and by BBC Sport as "arguably the most powerful display ever seen in women's tennis".

Yes, I saw that match and great win for Serena over Maria, but letís not forget that Henin didnít play 2007 AO. However we are talking about a 30yrs old player...heavier and slower. And then you have both Belgians are back competing.

8PAQ
01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Does anyone have attendance stats for any tournaments played by both men and women in consecutive weeks (not at the same time) just to see how interest in WTA and ATP compares? Not from Middle Eastern tournaments thou since people there probably just want to see half naked blonds and don't care about actual tennis.

jdubbs
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
I find that I learn more about playing tennis from watching the women, who hit the ball more approximating what I can do on a court.

The men just have overpowering serves, spin and power.

Plus women are hotter and some look damn sexy in their little outfits.

DRII
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Each tour ebbs and flows!

In the late 90's early 2000's womens' tennis was more popular than mens' tennis and generated higher ratings and attendance. Now it is the reverse, the positions willflip again, trust me...

sureshs
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I find that I learn more about playing tennis from watching the women, who hit the ball more approximating what I can do on a court.

The men just have overpowering serves, spin and power.

Plus women are hotter and some look damn sexy in their little outfits.

That is exactly right. The women's game is more instructive. And pleasing on the eyes.

cc0509
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
+1

I mean, I'll watch some of the women's matches if the TV happens to be on at the time, but I really don't particularly care who's playing or who ends up winning.

Whereas there are many more interesting characters and storylines in the men's game, plus I'll be rooting for certain matchups to take place.

I am a woman and I would have to agree with that as well. It sure is not like the Chris Evert/Martina Navratilova/Steffi Graff days! :(

cc0509
01-11-2011, 12:16 PM
That is exactly right. The women's game is more instructive. And pleasing on the eyes.

Which women in the WTA are pleasing on the eyes besides maybe Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic? Because from where I am sitting the rest could pretty much haunt houses!

OrangePower
01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I am a woman and I would have to agree with that as well. It sure is not like the Chris Evert/Martina Navratilova/Steffi Graff days! :(

Exactly! It's not just about men's tennis vs women's tennis; it's the characters and rivalies involved. There hasn't been a good rivalry in the women's game for a while now.

NadalAgassi
01-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Womens tennis had a period with kind of alot of smaller rivalries, not one big one.

li0scc0
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Which women in the WTA are pleasing on the eyes besides maybe Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic? Because from where I am sitting the rest could pretty much haunt houses!

Sharapova, Ivanovic, Dementieva (retired), Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Bondarenko, Petkovic, Hantuchova, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko come to mind. Many others are not hard on the eyes, either.

cc0509
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Sharapova, Ivanovic, Dementieva (retired), Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Bondarenko, Petkovic, Hantuchova, Chakvetadze, Kirilenko come to mind. Many others are not hard on the eyes, either.

I guess it depends on what your standard of beauty is. We all come from different cultures and backrounds and may have differences in what we consider attractive. I am sticking to my choices. For me Sharapova is the best on the woman's side in terms of attractiveness. Compared to the rest she is like Michelle Pfeiffer in my opinon(but comparing to the rest is not saying much imo.) Ivanovic is cute I think. The rest on your list, I am not feeling it! Each to their own.

MichaelNadal
01-12-2011, 08:59 PM
That was last year, this year is totally difference. Serena hasnít played for over half a year, so thereís no way sheís in shape and ready to compete with these young, talented players. You just canít flip the switch on/off anytime you want to.

Are u sure ur talking about Serena Williams? Lol. It doesnt't matter if she shows up looking terrible and bigger than a cow like at the AO 2007, she BRINGS IT in majors.

NadalAgassi
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Are u sure ur talking about Serena Williams? Lol. It doesnt't matter if she shows up looking terrible and bigger than a cow like at the AO 2007, she BRINGS IT in majors.

Serena then proceded to lose to Henin in the quarters of the next 3 majors, winning only 1 set. She won the Australian that year with an incredible performance to end it but with the aid of a bigtime collapse from way ahead by Petrova in the 3rd round along the way, and with Henin out of the event with injury (just a reminder Henin was the dominant player that year).

I like Serena but she is not going to do well upon her return unless she is in alot better than her 2007 physical shape, atleast her 2008-2010 shape. Hopefully her injury wont prevent her from training properly and she will be able to return in atleast the shape she was in when she left.

li0scc0
01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
I guess it depends on what your standard of beauty is. We all come from different cultures and backrounds and may have differences in what we consider attractive. I am sticking to my choices. For me Sharapova is the best on the woman's side in terms of attractiveness. Compared to the rest she is like Michelle Pfeiffer in my opinon(but comparing to the rest is not saying much imo.) Ivanovic is cute I think. The rest on your list, I am not feeling it! Each to their own.

Agreed on the 'to each their own'! My wife comments on this subject frequently, she has no clue why any woman finds Nadal attractive. Likeable, sure, but attractive? Not in the least.

kOaMaster
01-13-2011, 05:18 AM
there hasn't been any drama in women's tennis for years...the biggest drama recently was serenas outburst.

something like the hingis-finals, graf-seles...oh jeez, I wish those times back in women's tennis.

federer & nadal took over completely.

TMF
01-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Age DOES matter. You can't expect a player to repeat the same process forever. Plus, Serena's motivation is still in question. You giving Serena too much credit.

Sentinel
01-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Intersting how womens Australian Open has little drama but mens has lots

you mean WTA isn;t plagued by MTO's, on court coaching, vamos's and shows of biceps ?

MichaelNadal
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
The WTA is in complete disarray besides Clijsters, against a tougher field, i'd count on Serena less, but against this WTA, she isn't done winning slams.

Underhand
01-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Intersting how womens Australian Open has little drama but mens has lots

you mean WTA isn;t plagued by MTO's, on court coaching, vamos's and shows of biceps ?

He definitely doesn't mean this, Serena and Stosur have bigger biceps than Nadal.

cc0509
01-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Agreed on the 'to each their own'! My wife comments on this subject frequently, she has no clue why any woman finds Nadal attractive. Likeable, sure, but attractive? Not in the least.

I can understand your wife's position. I never really thought of Nadal as much until more recently(after the Shakira video :lol:) I think it is because he has matured a little now. He is cute in my opinion. I know some women think he looks like a caveman though. Others think he is great looking.

Manus Domini
01-14-2011, 05:55 PM

agreed. I find Wozniacki to be most attactive, but I don't have any qualms with some of the others mentioned in beauty (except for any mention of the Williams sisters)

DMan
01-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Are the women playing in the Australian Open this year?

Should they be?

I guess the bigger question is, why are they getting equal prize money with the men?

Sentinel
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Haven't checked the women's draw but are Clijsters and Henin on oppo halves ? Any chance of them meeting in the final ?

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-15-2011, 03:43 AM
Clijsters as a virtual lock :lol: Come on man...WTA is so random...expect Bartoli to win!

Now that is funny. Bartoli only wins at on-court displays of hatred of other players.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-15-2011, 03:46 AM

True, and she's the only woman with the pure talent to even dare to play in that AO shape, yet still win majors.

Underhand
01-15-2011, 04:38 AM
True, and she's the only woman with the pure talent to even dare to play in that AO shape, yet still win majors.

It just shows what a joke is the WTA.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-15-2011, 04:58 AM
It just shows what a joke is the WTA.

No, it illustrates that a truly superior player's skills are not dulled even when she was not physically fit.

Underhand
01-15-2011, 05:14 AM
No, it illustrates that a truly superior player's skills are not dulled even when she was not physically fit.

No, it illustrates that if you are physically stronger by large margin for some reason than your opponents, you can win even with 25 pounds extra on your arse.