PDA

View Full Version : Loving the Snow and Ice! Yes!

max
01-11-2011, 09:03 AM
It's brisk stuff, hits your face, but the cold wind is great to breath, and there's nothing like skating on a nice thick sheet of black ice. Winter's a perk for me, a benefit of my residence.

The_Question
01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Forget Fed & Nad played tennis on water, playing tennis on black ice, now that's something else...

Carolina Racquet
01-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Unfortunately, it's the only surface where I can slide well!

Other than that... I'm getting the itch and here in NC we won't be playing for some time :(

Feņa14
01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I love it too, the first breath on a freezing day is great.

Just a shame it's starting to warm up quite a lot here.

LuckyR
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
It's brisk stuff, hits your face, but the cold wind is great to breath, and there's nothing like skating on a nice thick sheet of black ice. Winter's a perk for me, a benefit of my residence.

Do you own an auto body shop?

heycal
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Anyone who thinks they prefer winter to summer is either not thinking it through, or has a screw loose.

r2473
01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
^^ Or lives in ski country.

SuperFly
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm a fan of snow baseball, but not a fan of shoveling. :(

nalvarado
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm a fan of 3 consecutive days off school.

mikeler
01-12-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm a fan of playing tennis outdoors year round.

max
01-12-2011, 06:15 AM
I like a lot of tennis, but outdoor skating rocks. I cross-country ski, too. So it's nice having the change of pace.

The_Question
01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm a fan of playing tennis outdoors year round.

Nice one, but you live in FL...

mr_eko
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I wish I lived in Florida. The snow is nice at first but then it over extends it stay.

PeterPanda
01-12-2011, 11:07 AM
i have 30inches. Hard to walk

mikeler
01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Nice one, but you live in FL...

This is the reason I put up with 4 or 5 months of sweltering heat and humidity.

max
01-12-2011, 11:36 AM

It's the old Dave Barry humor columns I remember about FLA: huge insects down there.

mikeler
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
It's the old Dave Barry humor columns I remember about FLA: huge insects down there.

We have all sorts of critters here. That's why I live in the city where less of them live!

max
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
run into any wild hogs/ boars?

tennisnoob3
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM

??? i've only heard about panthers

rommil
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM

After clearing my driveway of over 2 feet of snow while it was still snowing and trying to get to work I can't share your enthusiasm right now. Although driving to work listening to Sigur Ros and seeing all the white powder everywhere, it was pretty.

The_Question
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM

Small price to pay for year round of tennis fun!! :)

mikeler
01-13-2011, 05:33 AM

Can't say that I have. A few friends of mine have claimed they saw a black panther jump an 8' fence. Had the pleasure of being bitten by a variety of ants, honey bees, bumble bees, black wasps and scorpions.

heycal
01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
The snow is nice at first but then it over extends it stay.

Well, put. It is like a relative or acquaintance who can be delightful for a short time, but soon becomes tedious and boorish.

sphinx780
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
What is this "outdoor" tennis you speak of? Is this some sort of riddle. We're not getting dumped on here like out East but all week we've had a consistent 1-3" per day. Just wish it'd warm up enough to melt before May.

mikeler
01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
What is this "outdoor" tennis you speak of? Is this some sort of riddle. We're not getting dumped on here like out East but all week we've had a consistent 1-3" per day. Just wish it'd warm up enough to melt before May.

Been pretty cold here for us. It got down to freezing this morning.

Steady Eddy
01-13-2011, 07:00 PM
What I didn't like about Northern Winters was driving on icy roads. You never know when your car will go out of control. If we had some other system of transportation, like trains, where you're not on icy roads, then I wouldn't mind a real Winter that much.

But since we use cars to get everywhere, I won't live anywhere that gets snow.:|

OldButGame
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Sphinx,...We wont see outdoor tennis till April i bet,...last year was a good year and it was April 1st we were out,..that'll get pushed back with all this snow, You could be right with May......:(

heycal
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
What I didn't like about Northern Winters was driving on icy roads. You never know when your car will go out of control. If we had some other system of transportation, like trains, where you're not on icy roads, then I wouldn't mind a real Winter that much.

But since we use cars to get everywhere, I won't live anywhere that gets snow.:|

There's a little city called New York that's tailor made for you, Eddy.

max
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm looking forward to some pond hockey this weekend.

heycal
01-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm looking forward to some pond hockey this weekend.

You live in the Chicago suburbs, or am I mistaken? Do they have much pond hockey in those parts?

mtommer
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
??? i've only heard about panthers

I ran into two of these when I was riding home from work in the morning when I lived near Orlando.

mikeler
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I ran into two of these when I was riding home from work in the morning when I lived near Orlando.

Our high school mascot was a panther. One year this guy brought a black panther to our homecoming football game. It was on the other side of a short fence in the corner of the field near the end zone. I reached down through the fence to pet it on the back and the big cat turned around, hissed and tried to bite me through the fence. Not a nice kitty! The owner got mad at me but all he had to do was move the cat a foot further away from the fence and nobody could have touched his precious panther.

heycal
01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Our high school mascot was a panther. One year this guy brought a black panther to our homecoming football game. It was on the other side of a short fence in the corner of the field near the end zone. I reached down through the fence to pet it on the back and the big cat turned around, hissed and tried to bite me through the fence. Not a nice kitty! The owner got mad at me but all he had to do was move the cat a foot further away from the fence and nobody could have touched his precious panther.

Is it just me, or would anyone else here not attempt to pet a panther?

mikeler
01-14-2011, 05:26 PM

I was 12 years old.

tennisnoob3
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM

lol is it even legal to own a panther? you always hear about people owning weird pets in florida....like alligators in their bathtub.

heycal
01-14-2011, 11:19 PM
lol is it even legal to own a panther?.

Last I checked, it was perfectly legal to own a panther in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Vermont.

you always hear about people owning weird pets in florida....like alligators in their bathtub.

Are alligators in bathtubs "pets" that are "owned", or did they come up from the drain uninvited?

mikeler
01-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Nuisance gators have to be removed from swimming pools in the spring during mating season. Not a job I would want.

Markov
01-15-2011, 04:46 AM
I like winter. But it has definitely gone too far this time.