PDA

View Full Version : AO 2011 - Pick your quarter and semi finalists

nikdom
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I know the draw is not out yet, but its still a fun exercise to try and guess who will make it to the quarters and past based on early form, exos etc. We can revise as the draw comes out.

I'm going to guess the semis first -

ATP

Roger
Soderling
Djokovic
Nadal

Roger and Robin I have to go on form alone. Their wins were emphatic (esp serve stats) and barring some unexpected loss in form, these two will be in the semis, whether on the same side or opposite.

Nadal, despite his illness will be ready to go by the time the tournament starts. Even if he has to fight for some matches, I think he is motivated to achieve the Rafa slam and will perform when needed. That, plus he is current no.1 and in the men's game, no.1 always deserves respect, so he is one of the favorites despite the poor runup.

That leaves the final semi spot. Many contenders who will be raring to go, but I feel Djoko is perhaps the best choice since I haven't watched Murray recently to make a call.

As for a wild card who could upset one of these guys along the way, my choices are Veredasco, Murray, Wawrinka, and Fish.

WTA

Semi finalists - who cares
Qtr finalists - will feature some names ending with -va and - ki

Add your picks and analysis here.

viduka0101
01-11-2011, 09:24 AM
only one thing is certain:
Roddick will make the semis

the rest is Roger Love

rainingaces
01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Del potro
Federer
Soderling
Davydenko

Davydenko
Federer

nikdom
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Del potro
Federer
Soderling
Davydenko

Davydenko
Federer

Cmon, Del Po? Even He is not as optimistic about his chances.

rainingaces
01-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Cmon, Del Po? Even He is not as optimistic about his chances.

But he don't need too be 100% he just needs to be in nadals quater ;)

aphex
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Ernests is winning this thing...

nikdom
01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Ernests is winning this thing...

Yep, anyone whose first name is a plural has double the chances of winning. That's a clear advantage no one else has.

NadalAgassi
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
But he don't need too be 100% he just needs to be in nadals quater ;)

Delusional. Del Potro would not have any chance against Nadal even on a hard court right now at anything less than 100%.

IvanAndreevich
01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
I hope Roddick and Davy end up on Nadal's side of the draw.

yellowoctopus
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
My prediction: Nadal will be playing with himself.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:fyLg8eM6tbXIXM:http://hustlehardmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/nadal.jpg&t=1http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:fyLg8eM6tbXIXM:http://hustlehardmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/nadal.jpg&t=1

CocaCola
01-11-2011, 10:28 AM
lets wait for draw.

dandelion_smiley
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I know the draw is not out yet, but its still a fun exercise to try and guess who will make it to the quarters and past based on early form, exos etc. We can revise as the draw comes out.

I'm going to guess the semis first -

ATP

Roger
Soderling
Djokovic
Nadal

Roger and Robin I have to go on form alone. Their wins were emphatic (esp serve stats) and barring some unexpected loss in form, these two will be in the semis, whether on the same side or opposite.

Nadal, despite his illness will be ready to go by the time the tournament starts. Even if he has to fight for some matches, I think he is motivated to achieve the Rafa slam and will perform when needed. That, plus he is current no.1 and in the men's game, no.1 always deserves respect, so he is one of the favorites despite the poor runup.

That leaves the final semi spot. Many contenders who will be raring to go, but I feel Djoko is perhaps the best choice since I haven't watched Murray recently to make a call.

As for a wild card who could upset one of these guys along the way, my choices are Veredasco, Murray, Wawrinka, and Fish.

WTA

Semi finalists - who cares
Qtr finalists - will feature some names ending with -va and - ki

Add your picks and analysis here.

Unpredictable semis prediction, bro, you picked #1 #2 #3 #4 to be in the last 4.

Federer in the semis no matter who he plays. That's uno.
Nadal in the semis if he doesn't play Del Potro, Davydenko or Murray.
Murray in the semis if he doesn't face a big hitter having a good day on the way.

Soderling has been in good shape but look at his results in Australia. This is the only Slam he's constantly underperforming, even in 2009 and 2010 when he finished top 10. I'm not going for Soderling to reach the semis at this point. If he wins his first 2-3 matches and DOESN'T face Murray in the quarters, then he's there.

So I got:
1)Federer

and 3 dudes from this group: Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Soderling, Roddick, Tsonga, Davydenko

kishnabe
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Nadal vs Verdasco, Federer Soderling, Djokovic Roddick, Murray Del Potro

That would be fun!

batz
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Unpredictable semis prediction, bro, you picked #1 #2 #3 #4 to be in the last 4.

Murray in the semis if he doesn't face a big hitter having a good day on the way.

Soderling has been in good shape but look at his results in Australia. This is the only Slam he's constantly underperforming, even in 2009 and 2010 when he finished top 10. I'm not going for Soderling to reach the semis at this point. If he wins his first 2-3 matches and DOESN'T face Murray in the quarters, then he's there.

So I got:
1)Federer

and 3 dudes from this group: Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Soderling, Roddick, Tsonga, Davydenko

+1

Don't think I could've put it better.

nikdom
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM

So I got:
1)Federer

Come on dude, you can do better than that. Nobody is asking you to wager your house :)

As for Robin, I think last week's performance is a better predictor than last year's results.

dandelion_smiley
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Come on dude, you can do better than that. Nobody is asking you to wager your house :)

As for Robin, I think last week's performance is a better predictor than last year's results.

Dude, really I wish I could pick an underdog but the top 5 is very stable and predicting a guy outside the top 10 to reach the semis is suicide. I'll stick with Federer and 3 from the group mentioned above, most likely Nadal Murray and Djokovic

nikdom
01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Dude, really I wish I could pick an underdog but the top 5 is very stable and predicting a guy outside the top 10 to reach the semis is suicide. I'll stick with Federer and 3 from the group mentioned above, most likely Nadal Murray and Djokovic

Ok cool. You know this brings up a really interesting issue - the three way battle between Murray, Soder and Djoko. Depending on which side they land, it'll be interesting to see if Soder can hand either of those a loss like he handed Nadal and Fed at the FO and Wimby respectively.

In the longer run, will Soderling just play the role of spoilsport or is he a legitimate contender?

batz
01-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok cool. You know this brings up a really interesting issue - the three way battle between Murray, Soder and Djoko. Depending on which side they land, it'll be interesting to see if Soder can hand either of those a loss like he handed Nadal and Fed at the FO and Wimby respectively.

In the longer run, will Soderling just play the role of spoilsport or is he a legitimate contender?

It's hard to argue he's not a legitimate contender. The guy's winning Masters Series and making slam finals. The only downside for him is age - he's closer to Roger's cohort than he is to Rafa's IMO (he'll be 27 this year). So his slam window is probably smaller than Novak, Delpo or Murray.

nikdom
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
It's hard to argue he's not a legitimate contender. The guy's winning Masters Series and making slam finals. The only downside for him is age - he's closer to Roger's cohort than he is to Rafa's IMO (he'll be 27 this year). So his slam window is probably smaller than Novak, Delpo or Murray.

'Sup 'sup batman? howz life been treating you? Long time mate...hope you're doing well.
:)

I like Soder's chances a little better than Murray at the moment simply because he seems to be making some positive, confident moves at the moment with his game. Where's your lad been? Been awol since the wtf losses. Any news?

Doubles
01-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Querrey, Isner, Roddick, and Fish
Roddick over Isner
Querrey and Isner take doubles.
Wouldn't it be great if this was true...

nikdom
01-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Querrey, Isner, Roddick, and Fish
Roddick over Isner
Querrey and Isner take doubles.
Wouldn't it be great if this was true...

Querrey, Isner doubles, that I can imagine. I wonder why Roddick doesn't play more doubles with buddy Fish. It can only help his game.

batz
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
'Sup 'sup batman? howz life been treating you? Long time mate...hope you're doing well. :)

I like Soder's chances a little better than Murray at the moment simply because he seems to be making some positive, confident moves at the moment with his game. Where's your lad been? Been awol since the wtf losses. Any news?

I'm very well mate. Had a nice week in Tenerife over Xmas and I'm all ready to go again. Hope you're well too.

Murray has been training in Miami in the off-season. Played Hopman Cup (same as Novak) and did OK. Him an Novak have been practicing together every day in Perth.

I can see where you're coming from re Sod. But I do think guys who play at 10/10ths like Sod are more susceptible to a bad day than a steady Eddie like Murray.

nadalfan4life
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Roddick, monfils, federer, tsonga, murray, nadal, djokovic, soderling in quarters

tsonga, roddick, nadal, fed in semis
Fed Nadal final

nikdom
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Quarters
Roger vs Wawrinka
Djoko vs Berdych

Rafa vs Ferrer
Soderling vs Murray

I think the Soder Murray and Berd Djoko matches are going to be exciting.

NadalAgassi
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Quarters:

Federer vs Wawrinka
Djokovic vs Berdych
Nadal vs Ferrer
Soderling vs Murray

nikdom
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Quarters
Roger vs Wawrinka
Djoko vs Berdych

Rafa vs Ferrer
Soderling vs Murray

I think the Soder Murray and Berd Djoko matches are going to be exciting.

Alright, off by one. We have Dolgo vs Murray instead of Soderling.

So that's seeds, 1,2,3,5,6,7, 19 and an unseeded player.

The AO always throws up a surprise and this year its Dolgo.

I pick Rafa and Murray to go through in the top half.

The bottom half is harder to pick. I'll say Djoker and Roger, but I'm not sure. Berdych could win and Stan definitely has a chance if he can play the match of his life.