PDA

View Full Version : When will Blake return?

AndyArodRoddick
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
San Jose?
Memphis?

When? He does not seem to be in Australia.

sureshs
01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Once he faces a serve.

Fedace
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
More like When will Blake Retire ????

IvanAndreevich
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Actually even though he wasn't winning much he was playing at a very high level. It was just losses due to mentality. He still has all the game in the world.

Fedace
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Actually even though he wasn't winning much he was playing at a very high level. It was just losses due to mentality. He still has all the game in the world.

Seriously,,,,,,,,,Blake's injury has gotten so bad that he is NOT able to play at that high level he can. Unless someone comes up with Miracle Gel that will make his back feel better,,,,,his career is over.:???:

Fee
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
He is scheduled to return in San Jose apparently.

His website is here http://jamesblaketennis.com/2010_Site/Pages/home2010.html
and the Facebook for his website is here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001055453631 Both are probably more reliable than this forum. :)

bulldawg
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

LMAO. Hopefully soon, anyway.

kishnabe
01-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Blake was awesome for many of the year especially 2005-06. Sick performances at 06 Indian Wells upe 4-0 in the first set in the final agianst Fed( was actually pushing him hard and should have won) Miami, US open quarters( Pushed Fed to 4) and YEC finals. Also 2005 US open quarters which could have been semifinal or even final.

It was fun to see him smack the ball and get shots in with sheer force. He won't be back like that and if he returns...would it be great as before no. Would be nice to see him have Lubicic year by winning one of the Masters 1000!

HunterST
01-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Really not sure what his logic is skipping the Australian and playing San Jose. I mean it's only a few weeks after the Australian Open. I figured, at this point, he'd be looking to get some good results at the slams.

Fedace
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I really love Blake's game. i play singles similar way he does. Just go for the winner on the 1st shot of the point. This actually is not a bad gameplan. It gives your opponent NO rhythm and does not give them opportunity to make shots to hurt you.
of course, if you have a off day then it will cause you make alot of errors.

jamesblakefan#1
01-11-2011, 09:36 PM
He is scheduled to return in San Jose apparently.

His website is here http://jamesblaketennis.com/2010_Site/Pages/home2010.html
and the Facebook for his website is here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001055453631 Both are probably more reliable than this forum. :)

Yeah he posted a status a few days ago saying "hey everyone, happy new year- looks like I'll be starting off 2011 in san jose. still training here in tampa. hope to see some of you out on the west coast in february".

HunterST
01-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah he posted a status a few days ago saying "hey everyone, happy new year- looks like I'll be starting off 2011 in san jose. still training here in tampa. hope to see some of you out on the west coast in february".

Seriously, why would Blake skip The Australian Open and then play san jose like two weeks later? I would understand if his best surfaces were clay and/or grass, but right now he's completely throwing out one of the two slams at which he has a chance to get a respectful result.

AndyArodRoddick
01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Seriously, why would Blake skip The Australian Open and then play san jose like two weeks later? I would understand if his best surfaces were clay and/or grass, but right now he's completely throwing out one of the two slams at which he has a chance to get a respectful result.

He wouldnt get a wildcard. And its stupid imo for blake to play Q.

bezs
01-11-2011, 09:55 PM
If the season doesn't work out for him wouldn't be surprised if he has a swansong at the U.S Open.

cknobman
01-12-2011, 07:36 AM
It is too frustrating watching Blake play. No mental fortitude and just mindless "HULK hit hard!!" mentality.

Kinda like Gonzo but worse (although James gets loads of credit for not being a cheater).

HunterST
01-12-2011, 07:47 AM
He wouldnt get a wildcard. And its stupid imo for blake to play Q.

That would explain it. I thought he'd still get a wildcard since he used to be a well established top 10 player, though. How do we know he wouldn't have gotten a wildcard?

darrinbaker00
01-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Really not sure what his logic is skipping the Australian and playing San Jose. I mean it's only a few weeks after the Australian Open. I figured, at this point, he'd be looking to get some good results at the slams.

If Blake could "only" manage two quarterfinals when he was ranked in the top 20, what makes you think he could make the second week of a major now?

darrinbaker00
01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
That would explain it. I thought he'd still get a wildcard since he used to be a well established top 10 player, though. How do we know he wouldn't have gotten a wildcard?

Because he's over 30 and not Australian, that's why. He'll definitely get a wild card for the US Open, and since his mother is English, he may get one for Wimbledon, but that's it for the majors.

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2011, 08:03 AM
If Blake could "only" manage two quarterfinals when he was ranked in the top 20, what makes you think he could make the second week of a major now?

Well anything is possible and it's not like we haven't seen guys in the past come out of nowhere or seemingly being dead to make runs at slams. Upsets happen, draws open up, and you could make the 4R or QF. Just last year at the USO if Djokovic had lost to Troicki and Blake has to play Troicki 3R, that would have been a more winnable match.

HunterST
01-12-2011, 08:07 AM

I didn't say anything about second week. Good is a relative term. I think a round of 16 effort at the Australian and/or Wimbledon would be a decent result and enough to make JB relevant again.

I thought he was playing good tennis at the US Open. If he hadn't run into Djokovic so early I definitely think he could have gotten farther. A qf run at the US isn't impossible.

Noltae
01-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Blake is a great personality on the tour and I wish him all the best during his twilight years ... Very fun player to watch..

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Q: How's your health? What have you been working on in the offseason- both physically and tennis-wise?

Blake: my health is good right now. i've been spending most of the offseason making sure to stay healthy. i've been working very hard at the rehab and getting stronger. that has limited my ability to work on some new things, but i do feel like my game is coming back to where it was before my latest injury.

Q: What outlook are you taking for 2011? Any changes to Team Blake from last year?

Blake: my outlook is a very positive one with the main focus being my health. the only change is that i will be going without a coach. i believe the most important thing for me at this point in my career is staying healthy, so i continue to work with rory cordial for the physical part of the game. but i think i've been lucky to work with some of the best coaches in the world in brian barker and kelly jones. after discussing it with both of them, i think it makes sense to try the tour on my own with the knowledge i have gained from them.

Q: Why the decision not to play in Australia? What does your early season schedule look like?

Blake: my ranking slipped thanks to the injuries last year so i wouldn't have been able to be in the main draw. i also would have had to rush my shoulder rehab to be ready for melbourne, so now i'm hoping it will be fully healed and strong by the time i start playing in san jose. my schedule will include san jose, memphis, and delray beach.

Coachless Blake. :shock:

Full interview: http://jamesblaketennis.com/2010_Site/Pages/Winter_2011_Interview.html

NadalAgassi
01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Well anything is possible and it's not like we haven't seen guys in the past come out of nowhere or seemingly being dead to make runs at slams. Upsets happen, draws open up, and you could make the 4R or QF. Just last year at the USO if Djokovic had lost to Troicki and Blake has to play Troicki 3R, that would have been a more winnable match.

When is the last time Blake has even beaten a Troicki level player. The way Trociki played towards the end of last year and the way Blake was playing it is hugely unlikely Blake would have beaten him.

Paul Murphy
01-12-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see him back - love his style.
When he's "on" he's one of the most spectacular players around.

decades
01-12-2011, 09:15 PM

maybe he thought it undignified to play qualies.

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
When is the last time Blake has even beaten a Troicki level player. The way Trociki played towards the end of last year and the way Blake was playing it is hugely unlikely Blake would have beaten him.

Troicki's still a major league choker. Put him under the lights at Ashe against Blake and you never know what could have happened.

Fee
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Shoulder? I thought he was dealing with a knee problem. When did this shoulder thing crop up?

darrinbaker00
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I didn't say anything about second week. Good is a relative term. I think a round of 16 effort at the Australian and/or Wimbledon would be a decent result and enough to make JB relevant again.

I thought he was playing good tennis at the US Open. If he hadn't run into Djokovic so early I definitely think he could have gotten farther. A qf run at the US isn't impossible.

Yes, it is. The only two people who don't know James Blake's time as a top-100 player is past are you and James Blake.

AndyArodRoddick
01-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Belucci, Stokholm.

killer
01-13-2011, 06:44 AM
His return is predicated on his progress in rehab. No sense in going all the way to Australia to play qualies before his shoulder is ready. I really hope that he will return to his 06 form, but realistically it would just be nice to see him able to play consistently and competitively.

HunterST
01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Yes, it is. The only two people who don't know James Blake's time as a top-100 player is past are you and James Blake.

The best way to lose an argument is to overstate it. That is what you have just done. Is a QF run for Blake unlikely? Yes, but it is silly to claim that it is impossible. Even last year, the year that everyone completely lost faith in him due to his poor results, he made the 3rd round of the open. That's only 2 wins away from the QF. What's more, he lost to a top 3 seed. So to say that it's impossible for a former top 4 player with huge weapons to put together 4 wins at a grand slam is quite a bold and unfounded claim.

kOaMaster
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Once he faces a serve.

aaaahwwww, you made me smile intentionally :)

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Troicki's still a major league choker. Put him under the lights at Ashe against Blake and you never know what could have happened.

True, but I thought Blake looked horrible in his match vs Djokovic, spraying almost every second ball out. Djokovic didnt even have to do anything, though he played solid enough I guess. Maybe if he didnt play a huge name he wouldnt have felt he had to try low percentage winners on every shot though.