PDA

View Full Version : Tennis "movies Or Documentarys"

megsaletta
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know of any Tennis movies or documentarys. Thanks, Jason.

stanton warrior
01-12-2011, 05:03 AM
"Wimbledon" is the only tennis related movie I know. It's with Kirsten Dunst and (very) loosly based on Ivanisevic's 2001 Wimbledon win. It's not a masterpiece, but it isn't terrible either.

A few years ago I saw some Federer documentary on swiss tv, not sure how it was called. Maybe you can find it on youtube.

max
01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
You know, modern junior tennis would make a good subj3ect for a documentary: the whole cost, equipment, parents, travel, etc. would be of interest to many, I think.

I'm guessing a young skilled tennis player has more chance of getting struck by lightning than making money on the tour.

Nuke
01-12-2011, 07:04 AM
The Unstrung documentary is on Netflix.

MAXXply
01-12-2011, 07:29 AM
"Players" (1979)
Starring Dean-Paul Martin, Ali MacGraw and errr, Mahoney from the Police Academy franchise. Guest starred lots of 1970s pros, chiefly Vilas and Nastase playing a ham. Even McEnroe gets some screentime.

Arguably the cheesiest "tennis" movie ever. Great viewing for fans of old-skool tennis gear from the Golden Age - lots of FILA colour.

The_Question
01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
You know, modern junior tennis would make a good subj3ect for a documentary: the whole cost, equipment, parents, travel, etc. would be of interest to many, I think.

If they added sex, violence, a few smart lines, drug use, and finish off with a huge explosion, then it will sell...sadly...

Claudius
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Unstrung is on Hulu btw.

Marshredder
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I LOVE the film Wimbledon... Guilty pleasure of mine.

tennisnoob3
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM

I'm guessing a young skilled tennis player has more chance of getting struck by lightning than making money on the tour.

i believe there was a thread on a movie about junior tennis, it was called like 28,000 balls or something. the reference was the "amount of balls" it takes to hit to go pro or something.

subz
01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
If they added sex, violence, a few smart lines, drug use, and finish off with a huge explosion, then it will sell...sadly...

that is a good pitch ! Well not an explosion filled ending but a grand slam title OR just an average joe qualifiying for a Grand Slam at the age of 33 !

Now, who will play the main character :confused:

Clint Eastwood will write and direct it, of course :)

BreakPoint
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
"Players" (1979)
Starring Dean-Paul Martin, Ali MacGraw and errr, Mahoney from the Police Academy franchise. Guest starred lots of 1970s pros, chiefly Vilas and Nastase playing a ham. Even McEnroe gets some screentime.

Arguably the cheesiest "tennis" movie ever. Great viewing for fans of old-skool tennis gear from the Golden Age - lots of FILA colour.
I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I enjoyed it. Fun movie, although Vilas making the final of Wimbledon made me chuckle a bit.

Too bad it's not available on DVD as I'd love to see it again after all these years. Even when it was on VHS decades ago, I never saw it in any video store. :(

dak95_00
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Balls Out - The Gary Houseman Story

A goofy movie w/ Stiffler from the American Pie movies. It is bad but funny.

Barfy
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Balls Out is freaking hilarious. Its horribly crude and such but still keeps tennis terms real and features actual strategy, albeit some odd coaching methods

Kevin T
01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Balls Out - The Gary Houseman Story

A goofy movie w/ Stiffler from the American Pie movies. It is bad but funny.

I woke up in the middle of the night last week and saw the first half. Cheeseball but fairly funny. Stiffler kills me.

FuriousYellow
01-12-2011, 04:08 PM
"Tennis, Anyone...?" with Donal Logue was a decent tennis movie.

"She Got Game" a documentary about former WTA player
Sonya Jeyaseelan was interesting. "Unstrung" was also interesting.

bfactor61
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
unstrung was a great documentary. i suggest you check it out

megsaletta
01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
COACH - Nick Bollettieri - Making Grand Slam Champions
The Making of Maria Sharapova
LLEYTON HEWITT - The Other Side
The Spirit of a Champion - Roger Federer
Venus & Serena Williams - Double Match Point
Anna's Army - Behind The Rise Of Russian Women's Tennis

Raising Tennis Aces - The Williams Story (Must watch)
SOMAY KU - A Uganda Tennis Story (Must watch)
Star or Comet - A Documentary about a tennis pro (Must watch)
UNSTRUNG (Must watch)
50 000 balls - A Tennis Documentary (Must watch)

THE JOURNEYMEN ( This is best - must watch)

MAXXply
01-13-2011, 07:15 AM
"Little Mo" (1978 )
TV movie about Maureen Connolly, the 1st woman to win the Grand Slam
Starred the mother from The Waltons as Mo's coach and a cameo from then- 48y.o Tony Trabert trying to look like his 25y.o self.

kevoT
01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Balls out is the only tennis movie i've watched, though, I want to watch Tennis Anyone?. Movies if it's good, but same goes for documentaries.

kevoT
01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
"Little Mo" (1978 )
TV movie about Maureen Connolly, the 1st woman to win the Grand Slam
Starred the mother from The Waltons as Mo's coach and a cameo from then- 48y.o Tony Trabert trying to look like his 25y.o self.

Your 444th post dude! pretty cool :)

MAXXply
01-13-2011, 07:35 AM
^^^ Can't wait to get to 666 - number of the beast?

8F93W5
01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I enjoyed it. Fun movie, although Vilas making the final of Wimbledon made me chuckle a bit.

Too bad it's not available on DVD as I'd love to see it again after all these years. Even when it was on VHS decades ago, I never saw it in any video store. :(

I got in on VHS in ****. I enjoyed seeing a young McEnroe vs Gonzales. Dino Martin could actually play so for once a tennis movie didn't look stupid. Like in "When Billie Beat Bobby" or whatever it was called. Lent my tape to someone. Never got it back.

8F93W5
01-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Hard Fast and Beautiful. Nice chick in the movie poster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard,_Fast_and_Beautiful

heycal
01-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Is this what "Unstrung" is about, or is it a different plotline?

gully
01-14-2011, 05:15 AM
"When Billie Beat Bobby" or whatever it was called.Wasn't this one with Holly Hunter as BJK and Ron Silver, I think, as Bobby Riggs?

goran_ace
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
The Unstrung documentary is on Netflix.

I just got it from amazon video on demand. $2.99 to rent or $9.99 to download, check google and you'll probably be able find a $5 discount code for amazon VOD. also availbale on DVD for $19.99.

Moose Malloy
10-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Hard Fast and Beautiful. Nice chick in the movie poster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard,_Fast_and_Beautiful

this airs on TCM Thursday.

Vanhool
10-01-2013, 04:59 PM
It got a lot of publicity when it came out this summer, no mention here yet, so I'll add Venus and Serena. Follows them both starting with Serena's pulmonary embulism (spelling?) and Venus' Sjogren's through their rehabs and returns. It's on Netflix and I think Showtime was running it for a while there. I liked it, but I'm biased :)

Also saw an interesting BJK bio on PBS recently. I almost didnt watch it because I feel like I just see her everywhere lately, but I'm glad I did. Series is called American Masters and it's on PBS.org. First time they've featured an athlete. Covers a lot of of how the wta was formed as well.

teletennis
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Also saw an interesting BJK bio on PBS recently. I almost didnt watch it because I feel like I just see her everywhere lately, but I'm glad I did. Series is called American Masters and it's on PBS.org. First time they've featured an athlete. Covers a lot of of how the wta was formed as well.

that was really interesting. It focuses a lot on the Bobby Riggs match. I had thought I heard long ago that he threw the match because he secretly supported women's lib, but that didn't seem to be the case according to the documentary. I heard more recently he threw the match to make money on gambling (that he bet against himself), but that wasn't addressed in the doc. The doc portrays that he lost fair & square, which I believe given his age & prep compared to BJK, not to mention his ego (although I didn't realize he had done a similar previous stunt with Margaret Court and beaten her handily).

Bdarb
10-04-2013, 06:45 AM
anyone know where you can stream unstrung, I can't find it anymore.

this is a good one talking about some up and coming players done by the tennis channel. Good behind the scenes look. Theres a cool part with Jack Sock and someone being used as hitting partners for the Bryan brothers and one of the brothers calls the kid out for doing what he thinks is a dick move. Tells him "you'll never play here again." pretty harsh. As the movie says though, it's a job for these guys the novelty has worn off and it's all business they aren't there to humor the next generation.

http://vimeo.com/15328059

Vanhool
10-07-2013, 11:27 AM
that was really interesting. It focuses a lot on the Bobby Riggs match. I had thought I heard long ago that he threw the match because he secretly supported women's lib, but that didn't seem to be the case according to the documentary. I heard more recently he threw the match to make money on gambling (that he bet against himself), but that wasn't addressed in the doc. The doc portrays that he lost fair & square, which I believe given his age & prep compared to BJK, not to mention his ego (although I didn't realize he had done a similar previous stunt with Margaret Court and beaten her handily).

I agree with you. I was also amazed at her resolve to become number 1 so she could change the face of tennis....at age 12!

Moose Malloy
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
here's a good review of new tennis movie starring Jeremy Sisto and Amy Smart called 'Break Point'

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/sxsw-film-review-break-point-1201130854/

no distribution as of yet

Bdarb
03-17-2014, 05:42 PM
When's the rob Lowe show supposed to start?? I heard its about a washed up doubles pro.

BreakPoint
03-18-2014, 01:19 AM
here's a good review of new tennis movie starring Jeremy Sisto and Amy Smart called 'Break Point'

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/sxsw-film-review-break-point-1201130854/

no distribution as of yet

Man, I just keep gaining in popularity. First a book named after me and now a movie, too! ;)

http://www.pettprojects.com/bpbreak.jpg

PhrygianDominant
03-18-2014, 01:26 AM
^^^ Can't wait to get to 666 - number of the beast?

what was your 666th?

TennisLovaLova
03-18-2014, 03:47 AM
could somebody upload anyone of those on a torrent site?

chrischris
03-18-2014, 03:59 AM
This is cult film from yesteryear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGFr2T-_r3g

unfortunately soldout due to popular demand.

Rumor has it Monty Python were coproducers.