PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Delpo seeded?

joeri888
01-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I thought you could 'protect' your ranking when you've been injured?

jura
01-12-2011, 12:01 AM
But that just counts for the maindraw cut so he doesn't has to play the quali. For seeding lists protected rankings have no value.

Tennis sensation
01-12-2011, 12:04 AM
A player cannot be seeded if he is using protected ranking.

vive le beau jeu !
01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
But that just counts for the maindraw cut so he doesn't has to play the quali. For seeding lists protected rankings have no value.
right.

... but they made an exception when seles came back after the stabbing.

jura
01-12-2011, 12:41 AM
right.

I think nobody could say anything against this exception.

Kegzz
01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
right.

Yes, because a wrist injury is much worse than being stabbed in the back. :rolleyes:

vive le beau jeu !
01-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Yes, because a wrist injury is much worse than being stabbed in the back. :rolleyes:
it seems i was misunderstood... i never intended to suggest anything like that, or that he should be seeded !

Azzurri
01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I think nobody could say anything against this exception.

sureshs would have written a letter to tennis governing body claiming unfairness to Graf.:twisted:

joeri888
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Now I start getting interested. Does protected ranking also put you into #32 draws like Rotterdam or Sydney?

And what about a WTF if you were ranked 1 the previous year? How far does it go?

Bryan Swartz
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Protected ranking does not affect WTF -- there is a time limit on it.

It affects all regular ATP events though.

IvanAndreevich
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM

As far as tennis goes YES IT IS much worse :-|

Ask any player if they want a wrist injury to miss one whole year, or getting stabbed by a knife in a non-threatening fashion. I think the majority would pick the stab wound.

Fee
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
right.

That was the WTA, I guess they do stuff like that. ATP, notsomuch.

Fee
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Now I start getting interested. Does protected ranking also put you into #32 draws like Rotterdam or Sydney?

And what about a WTF if you were ranked 1 the previous year? How far does it go?

Are you interested enough to read the online ATP rulebook about it?

A protected ranking is used for entry only, not for seeding, and it can be used for any ATP and ITF events (tour, slams, challenger, futures). I believe the qualification rules for the WTF specifically exclude PR, but I'm not sure. It can be used 8 times in 9 months (I think, I always get that number wrong). You have to be out of action for a minimum of 6 months and your PR will be an average of your ranking for a certain number of weeks (I think it's 3, not sure). Players like Del Po usually also take advantage of wildcards to help get their rankings back up if they are in danger of using up their PR (Haas did this when he came back from shoulder surgery).