PDA

View Full Version : Wilson ROK

cheezecake
04-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Has anyone tried this racket? How does it feel?

NoBadMojo
04-21-2004, 02:11 PM
I hit w. the Rok. It feels a bit like frames of yesteryear to me. it plays soft and flexy, weighty (to me) and a smaller head and sweetspot and dense string patern. I like it, but am not strong enough to swing it fast for any length of time . Ed

ucd_ace
04-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I have demoed the ROK before. I loved it's feel on volleys. Everyone seemed to be perfect. It was one of the best racquets I've ever played with as far as volleying goes. On the other hand, it was worthless to me in every other category. The racquet produced no power for me... and I play with a MW 200g 95 with a string tension of 63, it's not like I'm used to a power racquet or anything. I could swing as hard as I could and the ball wouldn't go anywhere at all. It was the most frustrating thing I've ever endured with a racquet. I've played with a high percentage of players racquets that are out there and nothing can be compared to how low powered this racquet is... maybe the original prestige... and it was the same with spin, I wasn't able to do anything well besides volley with the thing. As far as weight goes it seemed kind of light to me... It's sad; such a good volleying racquet (I serve and volley) but so much else suffered from it.

Pushmaster
04-21-2004, 03:48 PM
The Rok is the best racquet I've played with yet. It has awesome control, stiff but comfortable. I feel like I can't miss when I hit with it, as long as my mechanics are sound. I have no problem over-powering my opponent (I'm 6' 3" 230lbs.) I think the guys that whine about the Rok's lack of power ought to spent a little more time in the weight room, and maybe a little less time on the court. :wink:

thejerk
04-21-2004, 04:38 PM
The rok is a killer racket, but it seemed a bit to light. If you put just a little extra weights on it, it would hit like some of the heavier Head rackets with similar string patterns.

ucd_ace
04-21-2004, 08:25 PM
I do agree with pushermaster about the comfort level and the control to some extent...

Bhagi Katbamna
04-21-2004, 09:37 PM
It is supposed to be inspired by the Head Prestige Classic. I liked the original better.

Deuce
04-21-2004, 09:56 PM
I hated the ROK. I felt it was as far removed from the Head Prestige as it was possible to be. The ROK felt like a toy racquet to me.

It's interesting that a few people have mentioned that the ROK reminds them of older racquets. I'm quite fond of older racquets (the graphite frames of the 80s, for instance) - I still play with an old frame from the 80s - and I didn't consider the ROK to possess any of the positive qualities of those older frames.

gregraven
04-22-2004, 10:45 AM
I switched from the Head i.prestige mid to this racquet. I liked the fact that the ROK had a bit less power, and my slice backhand works MUCH better with the ROK. Everything else took a couple weeks to make the transition, during which time I was adding weight to the ROK. My ROKs weight 386 grams, and balance at 29.6 cm. I play a lot of the new racquets coming out, and I really like my ROKs.

gregraven
04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
I should have mentioned that I get much better string life with the ROK than I did with the i.prestige mid, using natural gut in both.

kreative
04-22-2004, 01:59 PM
like bhagi, i liked the prestige better

gregraven
04-23-2004, 02:07 PM
It's worth noting that it is also much easier to string the ROK, with either the one-piece or the box pattern.