PDA

View Full Version : ESPN picks for Australian Open

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks

I am surprised 3 are actually picking Djokovic to win, same # as Federer and Nadal both. All 9 picked Clijsters to win, looks like I am not the only one who thinks she is the heavy favorite.

bolo
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Cahill is a smart man. :)

Lefty5
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool link, i like the Sleeper and Early exit picks better.

BrooklynNY
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
People just pick Djokovic for aesthetic reasons, same with the usual Murray picks.
I'm suprised no Soderling picks, the way he just brushed aside Roddick and Co this week.

He also lost 1st round last year, so look for him to pick up some major points and potentially take the 3 spot....not sure what Nole's point tally looks like just yet as I write this

jamesblakefan#1
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
The one guy Wilansky only picked Djokovic cause they look alike.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/wilansky_matt_35.jpg

Also I don't think Clijsters is a slam dunk, but no one else has what it takes outside of Henin or Venus. How is Henin a sleeper, she's probably 2nd favorite behind Clijsters.

BrooklynNY
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I think Vera Zvonereva might take this down.
I watched her play twice at the Open, and she looked good. 2 time finalist, its time for her to finally take one, she looks like shes been upping the aggression in her game.

RCizzle65
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
How is Henin a sleeper, she's probably 2nd favorite behind Clijsters.

She's been out with injury, hasn't she? I know she came back the same time last year and made the finals, but its still a tall order to come back on short notice.

Looked at the list, and I like Cahill's list. And for sleeper, idk if they mean taking down a top opponent, or winning the whole thing, but wtf, Gilbert putting Wawrinka in?

IvanAndreevich
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Djokovic? LOL. The guy hasn't played his best tennis for almost 3 years now.

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
The Djokovic picks are hilarious I find. The guy has been going backwards in a big way in his personal rivalaries with Federer and Nadal over the last year, not forwards. So what if he barely beat a horribly playing Federer at the U.S Open, still needing to save 2 match points. He was 1-4 vs Federer last year and towards the end of the year was getting drubbed, especialy in their last match. He used to be good enough to sometimes beat and other times push even Federer playing well, and now he needs Roger to play fairly poor just to hang in the match most times. He for awhile owned Nadal on hard courts, now he cant touch Nadal on hard courts it seems. He hasnt played Murray for awhile but has lost their last meetings. And he is more vurnerable than he has been in years to losing to guys like Soderling, Berdych Roddick, even possible foes in early rounds like Melzer or Troicki.

quest01
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
No one picked Roddick to win, thats suprising, NOT. I agree with some of the picks but Djokovic winning is more of a stretch. On the mens side its got to be either Federer or Nadal, you can never count out those two.

decades
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
djok just won the davis cup. he won two matches. I think he will be a nightmare on that court for anybody.

bolo
01-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Djokovic's on the up and up again. Played a great US open, spanked federer in sets 2 and 4 of their match, and played a pretty good final. Note hewitt's comments about djokovic during the hopman cup while djokovic was playing golubev.

rovex
01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't bet on djok beating a fed Nad Murray and verdasco

li0scc0
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I watched her play twice at the Open, and she looked good. 2 time finalist, its time for her to finally take one, she looks like shes been upping the aggression in her game.

She is my pick. She was the best player in the US Open until the final. She looked better than Clijsters on the run TO the final.

single_handed_champion
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Hilarious how no one picks Murray. He was all over the sheet the last couple of years.

rovex
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Hilarious how no one picks Murray. He was all over the sheet the last couple of years.

Watch Murray now win the tournament:)

That's the trend it seems

sphinx780
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking the lack of attention could help Murray but I don't see Djok making the final.

I like Zvon or Clijsters but would give the edge to Zvon down under, she's been consistently moving forward in her game from what I've seen. Kind of like Murray, just needs to ice down the veins a bit in the final.

Proset
01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm surprised no one chose Soderling as a sleeper pick, he had a great start to the season. Of course McEnroe chooses Querrey, even though he just got beaten pretty badly by Dolgopolov.

bolo
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm surprised no one chose Soderling as a sleeper pick, he had a great start to the season. Of course McEnroe chooses Querrey, even though he just got beaten pretty badly by Dolgopolov.

berdych, gulbis, querrey, soderling, blake etc. rarely do really well at the Australian open.

Big_Dangerous
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing myself.

Whoever that one big itch is that picked her as an early exit must be on crack, because she should for sure reach the quarters, if not the semis.

Big_Dangerous
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM

He was pretty disappointing in majors after the Australian, I can see why his stock is so low.

He does have a very compelling H2H record against Nadal though. Should the two meet, I wouldn't be surprised if Murray took him out again.

kOaMaster
01-13-2011, 03:55 PM

how is the 4th seed a sleeper pick?

vandre
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
henin was ru last year, so unless she's playing from inside an iron lung machine, she's not a sleeper! especially against the current crop of sleepwalkers that is the wta!

i guess djoker gets love for being the uso ru and taking out fed there?

i expected soderling and davydenko to be more popular.

oh well, what do i know, i'm not on espn!!!

TheBoom
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM

+1 and djokovic can do well i think his gs appearences at the USO and Wimbledon were pretty good :)

01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Joker struggles with the heat.
Are they expecting a cooler AO this year?

Manus Domini
01-13-2011, 05:16 PM

same. I say final four are her, Henin, Clijsters, and someone who doesn't have a prayer. Toss up between Henin, Clijsters, and Vera imo

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Vera is overrated IMO. Wimbledon will be the last time she beats Kim in an important match, she certainly wont do it on hard courts in a slam final. Henin would take Vera apart I think. Wozniacki if she plays Vera and doesnt have a horrible day like the U.S Open semis will also beat her. Venus or Stosur will also take her down if they meet her, and probably Sharapova.

Vera is an interim #2, like Tommy Haas a number of years back. And given her 2 slam final performances last year which were pitiful she will not win a slam ever unless she plays a joke final opponent like say Bartoli.

Semi-Pro
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Murray is winning this tournament.

hoodjem
01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Djokovic will win lots of slams. . .

. . . after Fed and Nadal retire.

Manus Domini
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Vera is overrated IMO. Wimbledon will be the last time she beats Kim in an important match, she certainly wont do it on hard courts in a slam final. Henin would take Vera apart I think. Wozniacki if she plays Vera and doesnt have a horrible day like the U.S Open semis will also beat her. Venus or Stosur will also take her down if they meet her, and probably Sharapova.

Vera is an interim #2, like Tommy Haas a number of years back. And given her 2 slam final performances last year which were pitiful she will not win a slam ever unless she plays a joke final opponent like say Bartoli.

She could just have nerves in the finals, you know. Wozniacki otoh is over-rated. Any #1 should have won a slam at least once in their career

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
She could just have nerves in the finals, you know. Wozniacki otoh is over-rated. Any #1 should have won a slam at least once in their career

I cant call Wozniacki overrated for the simple reason nobody seems to think she is that good. She is just another chain of ridiculed and mocked #1s at this point. Vera on the other hand everyone seems to praise as this amazing talent who is just a bit fragile mentally and I for one dont see it. She is a good player but not great.

I also dont think Vera is better than Wozniacki. Wozniacki won most of their matches last year and some of them very easily. And I saw their U.S Open match and to me it looked like Vera was playing the best she could and Wozniacki turned in a shocking performance with many easy unforced errors, very strange for her. Vera did make 2 slam finals but was overwhelmed in both and won only 1 dinky tournament, while Wozniacki atleast won many tournaments including tier 1s. So between the two I think Wozniacki is certainly the better player which is also contrary to what some seem to think.

Outbeyond
01-13-2011, 05:44 PM
The early exits are pretty funny...Berdych taking the cake. Berdych, who actually made it to the Wimbledon final last year, poor sap. I haven't given a close look at his draw but wonder why he's the favorite for falling apart early. Not that I'm a fan of his, mind you!:twisted:

Verdasco is ALWAYS a fair bet for an early fall-out. And I used to be a Believer....hah.

Ferrer an early exit? Sheesh, why?

As for the sleepers, Davy is a joke. He's just not five-set material; he certainly hasn't given any reason to believe otherwise and he's been playing at about the same level for a few years now (excepting during his injury period, of course). Wawrinka, on the other hand, is an interesting bet for a sleeper. He played better and better with each match last year, seemed to me.

Proset
01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
how is the 4th seed a sleeper pick?

Sleeper in the sense that he isn't considered to be favorite the same way Fed, Nadal, Murray, or Joker are. Certainly the highest seed that seems to be completely overlooked.

Manus Domini
01-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I cant call Wozniacki overrated for the simple reason nobody seems to think she is that good. She is just another chain of ridiculed and mocked #1s at this point. Vera on the other hand everyone seems to praise as this amazing talent who is just a bit fragile mentally and I for one dont see it. She is a good player but not great.

I also dont think Vera is better than Wozniacki. Wozniacki won most of their matches last year and some of them very easily. And I saw their U.S Open match and to me it looked like Vera was playing the best she could and Wozniacki turned in a shocking performance with many easy unforced errors, very strange for her. Vera did make 2 slam finals but was overwhelmed in both and won only 1 dinky tournament, while Wozniacki atleast won many tournaments including tier 1s. So between the two I think Wozniacki is certainly the better player which is also contrary to what some seem to think.

how many slam finals has woz been in?

Bryan Swartz
01-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Any #1 should have won a slam at least once in their career

Here we go again.

** Being #1 has nothing to do with your 'career'. It has to do with your performance over the last year, nothing before that is relevant to being #1.

** The rankings don't take place in a vacuum. Those who won Slams last year didn't do nearly as well as Wozniacki in the other events, where she well more than made up for it.

Manus Domini
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Here we go again.

** Being #1 has nothing to do with your 'career'. It has to do with your performance over the last year, nothing before that is relevant to being #1.

** The rankings don't take place in a vacuum. Those who won Slams last year didn't do nearly as well as Wozniacki in the other events, where she well more than made up for it.

So you're saying that winning the biggest tourneys shouldn't be telling factors?

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
how many slam finals has woz been in?

She has been in 1. Only 1 less than Woz. Slam finals are nice of course but it isnt the same as if either had actually won a slam.

Zvonareva has only won 1 Premier title vs 7 for Wozniacki. That is worth more than an additional slam final (not slam win) for me easily, especialy considering Wozniacki is 6 years younger.

From no vantage point do I consider Vera a superior player to Wozniacki right now.

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
So you're saying that winning the biggest tourneys shouldn't be telling factors?

In that case Zvonareva would be an even worse #1. Guess how many tournaments Vera won last year? One. And that tournament was called Pattaya.

kishnabe
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Joker struggles with the heat.
Are they expecting a cooler AO this year?

They are expecting night matches for Djoker and no Roddick in his draw!

Bryan Swartz
01-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Of course it should. Winning Slams should be(and is) the single biggest factor. But not winning a slam should not make a player a 'suspect' #1. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

veroniquem
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks

I am surprised 3 are actually picking Djokovic to win, same # as Federer and Nadal both. All 9 picked Clijsters to win, looks like I am not the only one who thinks she is the heavy favorite.
That makes sense to me. Djoko has 2 nightmare matchups on the tour: Tsonga and Roddick (the 2 guys he lost to since his win) but they're not in his quarter. Otherwise AO's surface is about as perfect as it gets for his game. Last time he met Fed at AO, he beat him in straights (the role of the mono in that loss has been wildly exaggerated IMO, I saw the match and Fed played well). I think he can beat an older Fed this year and make the final. I know Fed fans are very excited because of Fed's indoor stretch + Doha but I'm not sure it really changes much in the context of a slam.
Once in the final, it will be either Nadal, Murray or Sod. That's when it's hard to see Djoko win (except against Sod) but I actually think he's a likely finalist

veroniquem
01-13-2011, 09:21 PM

Ha ha that's true :shock: (the ressemblance, otherwise 3 guys picked Djoko, not 1)
When even PMac doesn't pick Fed to win, you know he's in trouble...

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
That makes sense to me. Djoko has 2 nightmare matchups on the tour: Tsonga and Roddick (the 2 guys he lost to since his win) but they're not in his quarter. Otherwise AO's surface is about as perfect as it gets for his game. Last time he met Fed at AO, he beat him in straights (the role of the mono in that loss has been wildly exaggerated IMO, I saw the match and Fed played well). I think he can beat an older Fed this year and make the final. I know Fed fans are very excited because of Fed's indoor stretch + Doha but I'm not sure it really changes much in the context of a slam.
Once in the final, it will be either Nadal, Murray or Sod. That's when it's hard to see Djoko win (except against Sod) but I actually think he's a likely finalist

I agree Federer played very well at the 2008 Australian Open and lost to Djokovic (I know the *******s will never agree but anyhow) but it has been a very very long time since Federer played even remotedly well and lost to Djokovic. Early 2009 at the latest. Federer definitely did not play well at all in their U.S Open match and still had 2 match points. Last year Federer was 4-1 vs Djokovic, and was laying some smackdowns on him by the end of the year especialy at the TMC. I give Djokovic almost no chance against Federer right now. He doesnt seem even close to as tough a matchup as he used to be for him, and Federer wont play as poorly as he did in the U.S Open semis again. And Federer letting Djokovic beat him in 2 slam semis in a row? Not a chance IMO.

And even if somehow Djokovic beat Federer (which I give almost no chance of happening right now) I could not see him beating Nadal if they played right now either. Nadal won their 2 meetings on hard courts last year on hard courts quite easily, even the U.S Open match was quite comfortable from someone who watched it. Of course Nadal isnt certain to make the final the final but I would favor Murray over Djokovic probably too given the matchup has favored Murray the last few times they played. Soderling would be a decent chance for Djokovic but the odds of Soderling making the final out of that half seem very small.

Add to all that Djokovic last year lost in slams to not only Tsonga but Melzer and Berdych. The year before that he lost in slams to Kohlschreiber, Haas, and Roddick. He nearly lost at the U.S Open to Troicki. There are many guys who believe they have a fighting chance against him right now.

So I respect your opinion but I cant agree. Personally I think his chances of winning or even making the finals of the Australian Open are very small. Apart from his U.S Open upset over an well off form Federer, last year saw him *** thumped all year long in a major way by Fedal combo, and continue to be challenged even more by the rest of the field.

I see semis max for him, quite possibly not even that given how vurnerable he has become to upsets.

ruerooo
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
The early exits are pretty funny...Berdych taking the cake. Berdych, who actually made it to the Wimbledon final last year, poor sap. I haven't given a close look at his draw but wonder why he's the favorite for falling apart early. Not that I'm a fan of his, mind you!:twisted:

Because he's a whiny graceless beyotch. He doesn't have the head strength.
When he beats Roger, it's more about Roger playing badly, than about him playing well through the whole match.

Verdasco is ALWAYS a fair bet for an early fall-out. And I used to be a Believer....hah.

Yeah, me too. But it seems like he's stopped training with Reyes -- I don't hear any more about it at all -- and that display at Nice with all the swearing was an absolute disgrace.

Ferrer an early exit? Sheesh, why?

He's played a lot of tennis this week. The Auckland final is a double-David final, with him and Nalbandian, and that won't be a cakewalk. I think it's a matter of stamina. He and JCF are around the same age, I think, and JCF isn't playing the AO this season (even though he's out with an injury, my beautiful boy is still 30).

Plus I'm also thinking they might not know a lot about his tennis. He's tenacious; he may surprise them -- but he's in Rafa's quarter, and even though he's beaten him before, I don't think he's beaten Rafa in a five-setter.

Wawrinka, on the other hand, is an interesting bet for a sleeper. He played better and better with each match last year, seemed to me.

Which is why I went :shock: when he left his wife and child. Part of me wants him to get his face beat off just for karma's sake.

I mean, having twins has hardly stopped Roger. And Rafa ... you need your family to play well. You don't dump them to play well.

Yeah, no - I don't have any strong feelings about what he did. LOL.

ttwarrior1
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
djokovic almost won us open right? he won ausy before? yes
He plays well there and its not as hot this year. Im rooting for fed myself but gonna have to give nod to nadal

LetsGoRoddick
01-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Federer or Nadal...
aside from a fluke or two, is it really, honestly, ever different?

Looking at Djokovic, he will probably have heatstroke.

li0scc0
01-14-2011, 04:41 AM
S\Any #1 should have won a slam at least once in their career

Did Wozniacki retire? No, she didn't. She is young, has plenty of time to win that first major.

Mortifier
01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I've always liked Ubbha's picks. Fernandez is also pretty good in my opinion.

TennisFan3
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I agree Federer played very well at the 2008 Australian Open and lost to Djokovic (I know the *******s will never agree but anyhow) but it has been a very very long time since Federer played even remotedly well and lost to Djokovic. Early 2009 at the latest. Federer definitely did not play well at all in their U.S Open match and still had 2 match points. Last year Federer was 4-1 vs Djokovic, and was laying some smackdowns on him by the end of the year especialy at the TMC. I give Djokovic almost no chance against Federer right now. He doesnt seem even close to as tough a matchup as he used to be for him, and Federer wont play as poorly as he did in the U.S Open semis again. And Federer letting Djokovic beat him in 2 slam semis in a row? Not a chance IMO.

And even if somehow Djokovic beat Federer (which I give almost no chance of happening right now) I could not see him beating Nadal if they played right now either. Nadal won their 2 meetings on hard courts last year on hard courts quite easily, even the U.S Open match was quite comfortable from someone who watched it. Of course Nadal isnt certain to make the final the final but I would favor Murray over Djokovic probably too given the matchup has favored Murray the last few times they played. Soderling would be a decent chance for Djokovic but the odds of Soderling making the final out of that half seem very small.

Add to all that Djokovic last year lost in slams to not only Tsonga but Melzer and Berdych. The year before that he lost in slams to Kohlschreiber, Haas, and Roddick. He nearly lost at the U.S Open to Troicki. There are many guys who believe they have a fighting chance against him right now.

So I respect your opinion but I cant agree. Personally I think his chances of winning or even making the finals of the Australian Open are very small. Apart from his U.S Open upset over an well off form Federer, last year saw him *** thumped all year long in a major way by Fedal combo, and continue to be challenged even more by the rest of the field.

I see semis max for him, quite possibly not even that given how vurnerable he has become to upsets.

Good post. It's one of the sad things in the game that Djokovic was a 5x better player in 2007/early2008 - than he is now.

Djokovic has a ZERO chance of even taking a set off Fed in this form - coz Fed is play way better than he has in the past 2-3 years. Even a sub-par Fed thrashed Djokovic several times since '08.

Expect a quick demolition from Fed in the SF - with Djokovic clapping several of Fed's winners and finally giving him a warm embrace in the net with the understanding that the right guy won :)

Sid_Vicious
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I really hope Kim Clijsters loses early. I cant stand her for some reason. :confused:

Big_Dangerous
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I really hope Kim Clijsters loses early. I cant stand her for some reason. :confused:

don't bet on it

jamesblakefan#1
01-27-2011, 06:50 AM

Also I don't think Clijsters is a slam dunk, but no one else has what it takes outside of Henin or Venus. How is Henin a sleeper, she's probably 2nd favorite behind Clijsters.

Genius picks. You really know your tennis stuff. :D

We all bashed Djokovic, but looks like we all suck.

mrmo1115
01-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Hahaha they all did a terrible job of their picks. No Li Na, no Dogo, Ferrer as early upset? All sleepers were wrong except Wawrinka and 2 people who picked Kvitova.

nereis
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Sports analysts are about as reliable as wine tasters. :twisted:

iriraz
01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Looking at Cahill`s picks he butchered them the most:Nadal as winner,early exit Ferrer,men`s sleeper Davydenko and women`s sleeper Ivanovic.

Li Ching Yuen
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Looking at Cahill`s picks he butchered them the most:Nadal as winner,early exit Ferrer,men`s sleeper Davydenko and women`s sleeper Ivanovic.

Yet he is the guy that knows the most tennis out of them. Shows just how useless "predictions" are.

NadalAgassi
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Everyone picked Clijsters to win and barring a HUGE upset in the final that is what is going to happen. Looks like Djokovic did have a real shot contrary to what most of us thought. I would say their picks were great. And the overrated Henin was indeed a sleeper at best.

rovex
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
They fail soo bad. No one went for murray

jdubbs
01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
The Djokovic picks are hilarious I find. The guy has been going backwards in a big way in his personal rivalaries with Federer and Nadal over the last year, not forwards. So what if he barely beat a horribly playing Federer at the U.S Open, still needing to save 2 match points. He was 1-4 vs Federer last year and towards the end of the year was getting drubbed, especialy in their last match. He used to be good enough to sometimes beat and other times push even Federer playing well, and now he needs Roger to play fairly poor just to hang in the match most times. He for awhile owned Nadal on hard courts, now he cant touch Nadal on hard courts it seems. He hasnt played Murray for awhile but has lost their last meetings. And he is more vurnerable than he has been in years to losing to guys like Soderling, Berdych Roddick, even possible foes in early rounds like Melzer or Troicki.

Post of the year...hilarious.

Emet74
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Take a bow, veroniquem.

Tony48
01-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Take your bow, clown.

rovex
01-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Take your bow, clown.

The irony is d o u c h e nadalagassi/davey is all over djokovic now.

and had djoko lost, she would of been kissing murray's *** and dissing the loser.

single_handed_champion
01-30-2011, 08:20 AM
The irony is d o u c h e nadalagassi/davey is all over djokovic now.

and had djoko lost, she would of been kissing murray's *** and dissing the loser.

QFT. Of course he/she will never return to a site of ownage, but it was all 'Djoko has less than 1.9129394% chance', and then 'Oh he is doing better than we (meaning him/herself) thought', 'Well, of COURSE he won, Murray will be slamless forever (98.15467% chance)'.

rovex
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Brad gilbert should get the sack, as well as mats wilander.

HunterST
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Dang, PMac pretty much nailed it.