PDA

View Full Version : Verdasco to win many Grand Slams

FeVer
01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Australian-Open-2011/Fernando-Verdasco.aspx

"...But the work that Verdasco and Reyes have done was not geared towards just reaching the semi-finals and quarter-finals of Grand Slams. Make no mistake; Verdasco is in it to win it. With the Australian Open beginning on Monday, itís time to put into action stage three of the Reyes motto: the application of the learning.

Gil Reyes doesnít just think Verdasco can win a Grand Slam; he believes he can win many. ďHe certainly has to do the hard part, but I think Fernando has more than one Grand Slam in him. Fernando has changed so much and I think now he has changed just enough to know what itís going to take to get to the next level. I have no doubt in my mind that thereís a place for him in the upper tier of the sport."

"I think I can improve everything, and to win a Grand Slam title you must be really good at everything."

CMM
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Verdasco to win many Grand Slams

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/546/90333862.gif

8PAQ
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I have to strongly agree with OP. I heard that Fernando aka Nadal's wife Verdasco is, rightfully so, competing in WTA draw this year. I don't see any other women able to stop him.

rovex
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Verdasco is good at everything. Reyes knows how talented he is.

FeVer
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
I have to strongly agree with OP. I heard that Fernando aka Nadal's wife Verdasco is, rightfully so, competing in WTA draw this year. I don't see any other women able to stop him.

By the way, I don't particularly think he'll win a slam. I was just picking out an interesting article that quotes Reyes saying that he could do it.

li0scc0
01-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't see Verdasco ever reaching the FINAL of a major, let alone winning one.

kishnabe
01-13-2011, 12:59 PM
LOL....the thought of that just cracks me up. If he a chance to win a major it was 2009 Aussie...if he had beat nadal...defintly the way he was playing would have beaten Federer!

joeri888
01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
LOL....the thought of that just cracks me up. If he a chance to win a major it was 2009 Aussie...if he had beat nadal...defintly the way he was playing would have beaten Federer!

The way Federer was playing, the only one stopping him was a really poor matchup and his own head. Federer played one of his best matches ever in the QF. I would have bet my house on Federer to beat Verdasco that time.

Verdasco is unlikely to win a Slam.

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Please. Verdasco was never beating Federer in the final that year.

-Federer owns Verdsaco. Most likely no matter how well Verdasco plays it will never be enough, just as is the case for him vs Nadal as we saw in the semis.

-All that tournament proves is Verdasco even playing out of his mind is very beatable. He did lose that amazing semifinal to Nadal, and he barely beat a sick and badly off form Murray in 5 sets. A healthy Murray would have beaten him and the amazing semifinal with Nadal wouldnt have even happened.

-Federer was playing extremely well at that Australian Open which is why it was such a great feat for Nadal to beat him, especialy coming off that marathon. Vedasco will never beat Federer playing that well, irregardless if he is playing out of his mind.

-Verdasco is nowhere near as fit as Nadal. No way he comes back after that marathon had he won and performs exceptionally in the final to beat Federer as Nadal did. He would have been rubber legged and easy prey.

-Verdasco posting wins over Nadal and Federer back to back in a slam. Sorry just no.

FeVer
01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
It does seem unlikely that he'll even come close to winning a slam. But what's he lacking? It's not as if he's some talentless hack who has no weapons, like Montanes or something, he has the weapons and the game, he just doesn't have the mental strength at the moment. If he suddenly improved that (which he could), then why couldn't he win a slam? Similar style players like Soderling have come close quite a few times.

rovex
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
It does seem unlikely that he'll even come close to winning a slam. But what's he lacking? It's not as if he's some talentless hack who has no weapons, like Montanes or something, he has the weapons and the game, he just doesn't have the mental strength at the moment. If he suddenly improved that (which he could), then why couldn't he win a slam? Similar style players like Soderling have come close quite a few times.

When verdasco is on he is soo much better than soderling. And montanes is a very good player, very underrated I feel.

FeVer
01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
When verdasco is on he is soo much better than soderling. And montanes is a very good player, very underrated I feel.

Yeh maybe but he's not dangerous enough to win a slam. Verdasco is.

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
It does seem unlikely that he'll even come close to winning a slam. But what's he lacking?

Other than his forehand which is great when it is on, what is his other big weapon. Serve and backhand are good but not great. Movement certainly isnt a weapon, nor net play. Nor any intangibles of the game. And there are tons of great forehands in the mens game now, more than in history probably.

norbac
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I think a better question is: will he ever reach another Slam semi...

FeVer
01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Other than his forehand which is great when it is on, what is his other big weapon. Serve and backhand are good but not great. Movement certainly isnt a weapon, nor net play. Nor any intangibles of the game. And there are tons of great forehands in the mens game now, more than in history probably.

Sounds like your talking about Robin Soderling, 2-time Slam finalist who beat arguably the greatest clay-courter ever in his own back garden.

Or maybe your talking about Fernando Gonzalez, AO finalist, Fedal beater and the scariest player on the tour in 2007.

If those guys didn't have to overcome both Federer and Nadal in a single slam, then they would almost certainly have at least a GS to their names by now.
If they can almost do it, so can Dasco (if he gets his head together).

Underhand
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Verdasco to win many Grand Slams

http://www.animated-gif.net/wp-content/uploads/139/chimpanzee-laughing.gif

T1000
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM

That is without out a doubt the dumbest post ever on Talk Tennis. Verdasco playing the match of his life couldn't beat Nadal on hard courts and he still hasn't beaten Fed. Soderling playing his best beat both Federer and Nadal at the French Open. No contest Soderling's best is better than Verdasco's.

JeMar
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh, wow. A coach that says his pupil can be successful. How novel.

NadalAgassi
01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Sounds like your talking about Robin Soderling, 2-time Slam finalist who beat arguably the greatest clay-courter ever in his own back garden.

Or maybe your talking about Fernando Gonzalez, AO finalist, Fedal beater and the scariest player on the tour in 2007.

If those guys didn't have to overcome both Federer and Nadal in a single slam, then they would almost certainly have at least a GS to their names by now.
If they can almost do it, so can Dasco (if he gets his head together).

No I am not talking about Soderling at all. Soderling's backhand and serve are actually big weapons, as is his forehand. Even his return of serve is as well. That puts him a totally different category than Verdasco or Gonzalez. I dont even like Soderling and his rather ugly brainless bashers style, but that is the truth.

Gonzalez beat Nadal in a hard court slam once when he was nowhere near the player he is now, and when Gonzalez happened to be having his career tournament. He would never be capable of doing this today (and even 05-07 Nadal was destroying him everytime on clay). And Gonzalez has never come even close to beating Federer in a slam, not even at his own career tournament at the 2007 Australian. His only win over Federer in their double digit meetings was a RR match after saving a match point which Federer should have won but was meaningless anyway (Federer went on to win the event anyway, and Gonzalez was elminated in the RR).

The only time Gonzalez could have hoped to win a slam even without Federer and Nadal is the 2007 Australian Open and even there he would have probably lost to Roddick who owns him.

Soderling as I said is a higher level of player as he has many more big weapons than Verdasco and Gonzalez whose only huge weapon are their forehands.

fruitytennis1
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
So since 2005 other than Fedal(Fed and Nadal) i think only Safin, delpo, and joke have won a slam...I dont think verdasco can beat joke and delpo let alone Fedal

Sid_Vicious
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.citizenx.cx/img/amusing/animations/ascii/ROFLamethrower.gif

Manus Domini
01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
He and Young will win 7 CYGS each in both singles and doubles (alternating years in singles) with only golden sets and losses only to each other.

FeVer
01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
No I am not talking about Soderling at all. Soderling's backhand and serve are actually big weapons, as is his forehand. Even his return of serve is as well. That puts him a totally different category than Verdasco or Gonzalez. I dont even like Soderling and his rather ugly brainless bashers style, but that is the truth.

Gonzalez beat Nadal in a hard court slam once when he was nowhere near the player he is now, and when Gonzalez happened to be having his career tournament. He would never be capable of doing this today (and even 05-07 Nadal was destroying him everytime on clay). And Gonzalez has never come even close to beating Federer in a slam, not even at his own career tournament at the 2007 Australian. His only win over Federer in their double digit meetings was a RR match after saving a match point which Federer should have won but was meaningless anyway (Federer went on to win the event anyway, and Gonzalez was elminated in the RR).

The only time Gonzalez could have hoped to win a slam even without Federer and Nadal is the 2007 Australian Open and even there he would have probably lost to Roddick who owns him.

Soderling as I said is a higher level of player as he has many more big weapons than Verdasco and Gonzalez whose only huge weapon are their forehands.

If Gonzalez managed to play ridiculously well for one tournament, why couldn't Verdasco?

rovex
01-14-2011, 01:08 PM
That is without out a doubt the dumbest post ever on Talk Tennis. Verdasco playing the match of his life couldn't beat Nadal on hard courts and he still hasn't beaten Fed. Soderling playing his best beat both Federer and Nadal at the French Open. No contest Soderling's best is better than Verdasco's.

Verdasco gave soderling a beating not long ago, overpowering soderling completely. Verdasco has equally troubled Federer numerous times, but his mental strength was not up to scratch in a few of those matches. Verdasco playing his best on clay would beat Federer, no doubt about it. The match up would be perfect for verdasco.

You're quick with insults I see. Ever thought of, you know, growing up?

NadalAgassi
01-14-2011, 01:27 PM
If Gonzalez managed to play ridiculously well for one tournament, why couldn't Verdasco?

He already has. 2009 Australian Open.

YodaKnowsBest
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM

you win :lol::lol:

P_Agony
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Verdasco will win Wimbledon beating Robredo in the final.

Javizzle
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
He needs to stop cracking under pressure. I think he's got the game, just not the head. Not yet at least.

FeVer
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
He already has. 2009 Australian Open.

Verdasco will have played the tournament of his life when he reaches a slam final or beyond. If Gonzalez of similar talent could beat Nadal at the AO and Federer at the Shanghai Masters then so can Verdasco.

NadalAgassi
01-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Verdasco will have played the tournament of his life when he reaches a slam final or beyond. If Gonzalez of similar talent could beat Nadal at the AO and Federer at the Shanghai Masters then so can Verdasco.

Things dont automaticaly work like that. There are female players probably far more talented than slam winner Schiavone who have never even reached a slam semifinal. Tommy Haas, David Nalbandian, and even Nikolay Davydenko are more talented than Tomas Johansson but the latter has a slam and the former dont.

When Gonzalez had his career tournament Nadal was easily beatable on hard courts by a huge hitter on top of his game. There was only one dominant overall player in the mens game at the time- Federer. Nadal only on clay. When Verdasco had his career tournament there were 2 dominant players- Federer and Nadal. Thus his career tournament did not allow him to make the final despite his best effort.

And Federer had a match point in his onlyl loss to Gonzalez. The loss could have easily not happened as well.

Start a poll if the 2009 Australian was Verdasco's career tournament forever. The vast majority will vote yes. It is up to Verdasco to prove otherwise.

Buckethead
01-15-2011, 05:53 AM
The way Federer was playing, the only one stopping him was a really poor matchup and his own head. Federer played one of his best matches ever in the QF. I would have bet my house on Federer to beat Verdasco that time.

Verdasco is unlikely to win a Slam.
Well said, I would have bet everything I had including my whole family that Fed would have thrashed fiasco, and I don;t think Fed would lose more than a handful of games.

Please. Verdasco was never beating Federer in the final that year.

-Federer owns Verdsaco. Most likely no matter how well Verdasco plays it will never be enough, just as is the case for him vs Nadal as we saw in the semis.

-All that tournament proves is Verdasco even playing out of his mind is very beatable. He did lose that amazing semifinal to Nadal, and he barely beat a sick and badly off form Murray in 5 sets. A healthy Murray would have beaten him and the amazing semifinal with Nadal wouldnt have even happened.

-Federer was playing extremely well at that Australian Open which is why it was such a great feat for Nadal to beat him, especialy coming off that marathon. Vedasco will never beat Federer playing that well, irregardless if he is playing out of his mind.

-Verdasco is nowhere near as fit as Nadal. No way he comes back after that marathon had he won and performs exceptionally in the final to beat Federer as Nadal did. He would have been rubber legged and easy prey.

-Verdasco posting wins over Nadal and Federer back to back in a slam. Sorry just no.
Verdasco only beat Murray because Murray was sick, had a fever or something. I actually made a mistake in the beginning of the draw picking Murray as the winner, of course I'd never do that again.
Verdasco can be on all year long, He only reaches 110 watts while many others work at 550 at their max, only a comparison. Verdasco is a loser.
I think a better question is: will he ever reach another Slam semi...
That is a not a question neither.
The question is: Will Fiasco ever reach another semi?
A- No He will not.
http://www.animated-gif.net/wp-content/uploads/139/chimpanzee-laughing.gif
Good one.
Save this one for the Williams Brothers threads.

abmk
01-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Verdasco gave soderling a beating not long ago, overpowering soderling completely. Verdasco has equally troubled Federer numerous times, but his mental strength was not up to scratch in a few of those matches.

their first two matches were routine straight set wins for fed

third match, verdy had a SP, but couldn't convert. Another straight set loss.

fourth match, finally took a set off fed, but got thrashed in the final set 6-1.

how is that troubling federer numerous times ?

Verdasco playing his best on clay would beat Federer, no doubt about it. The match up would be perfect for verdasco.

If fed is playing well , verdasco is not beating him on any surface,including clay. How on earth is the matchup perfect for verdasco ?

abmk
01-15-2011, 06:28 AM

I second this !

rovex
01-15-2011, 06:46 AM
their first two matches were routine straight set wins for fed

third match, verdy had a SP, but couldn't convert. Another straight set loss.

fourth match, finally took a set off fed, but got thrashed in the final set 6-1.

how is that troubling federer numerous times ?

If fed is playing well , verdasco is not beating him on any surface,including clay. How on earth is the matchup perfect for verdasco ?

Since verdascos breakthrough year in 09, his matches against Federer were very tight (your proving my point) and as I've said already his mental lapses cost him from winning those match (IW and WTF). And besides, federer didn't face an Australian open verdasco who wasn't missing and was a mental rock for the most part. In addition, if guys like gulbis and soderling can beat Federer on clay so can verdasco. Didn't you know half decent left handers playing well can hurt federer and Especially on clay? Reality is, federer is vulnerable on clay against the type of game verdasco can impose and execute well.

abmk
01-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Since verdascos breakthrough year in 09, his matches against Federer were very tight (your proving my point) and as I've said already his mental lapses cost him from winning those match (IW and WTF).

And besides, federer didn't face an Australian open verdasco who wasn't missing and was a mental rock for the most part.

he wasn't anywhere near winning the match in IW. the first set wasn't anywhere near close. second set had a SP, but didn't convert. not that close at all.

In addition, if guys like gulbis and soderling can beat Federer on clay so can verdasco.

lets not put verdasco in the same league as soderling on clay, please ! sod played scintillating tennis to defeat fed in FO 2010.

gulbis got a federer who was off. one of the main reasons why he beat him. notice I said if fed was playing well , verdasco wouldn't beat him

Didn't you know half decent left handers playing well can hurt federer and Especially on clay? Reality is, federer is vulnerable on clay against the type of game verdasco can impose and execute well.

forget clay, he hasn't to a leftie apart from rafa since 2004 ( IIRC ) on ANY surface .

billnepill
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
His best shot are the stolen Sampras trophies. He can "win" them on an illegal auction or something.

DanaKz
01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Verdasco to win "many slams"
http://yoursmileys.ru/msmile/fun/m0115.gif

Sentinel
01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Verdasco will win Wimbledon beating Robredo in the final.
you win.....

DanaKz
01-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Of course Verdasco can win mamy many Slams. In mixed doubles playing with Serena. Or Feliciano Lopez.

phnx90
01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
His best shot are the stolen Sampras trophies. He can "win" them on an illegal auction or something.

:D

10char

Buckethead
02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Anybody still believes it will happen?? LOL

veroniquem
02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
MANY grand slams? He's not that young you know... That was a very weird idea to begin with and I have no idea how it came about given Verdasco hasn't even ever made a slam final...

cc0509
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
MANY grand slams? He's not that young you know... That was a very weird idea to begin with and I have no idea how it came about given Verdasco hasn't even ever made a slam final...

I agree. Verdasco is 28 isn't he? I personally have a tough time envisioning him winning a slam.

OrangePower
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Ok, so there no chance of it happening, but...

This was said by his coach. What else is the guy going to say? If he doesn't at least pretend to have confidence in his player, he's not doing his job.

Tony48
02-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I simply cannot fathom him ever winning a slam.

NadalAgassi
02-14-2011, 03:21 AM
He doesnt have the talent to win even 1 grand slam let alone multiple.

FeVer
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok, so there no chance of it happening, but...

This was said by his coach. What else is the guy going to say? If he doesn't at least pretend to have confidence in his player, he's not doing his job.

Most coaches would talk about someone like Verdasco (who hasn't made a slam final) maybe as a "contender" or someone with "talent" who "can challenge" the likes of Federer/Nadal, but the fact that Reyes seems confident that Verdasco can win "multiple slams" makes me curious as to what justifies such confidence.