PDA

View Full Version : Come on Roddick...

Doubles
01-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I doubt it will happen, but I would love to see this guy take the Aussie Open. I never win the Racket bracket anyways, so I picked him to win the Finals over Murray. Will it happen? No chance. But I'm curious to see how Roddick does...

cknobman
01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I honestly see him having trouble against Monfils.

Doubles
01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Personally, the only guy that I think will give Roddick trouble is Federer, who he will have to play in the semis...

single_handed_champion
01-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Personally, the only guy that I think will give Roddick trouble is Federer, who he will have to play in the semis...

Roddick will have his hands full with any aggressive top-20er with a good serve (apart from the top guys, of course). He was outplayed in every which way by Soderling in Brisbane, losing pretty much every rally played, while Soderling smashed winner after winner.

He is seeded to play Federer in the QF, and has Monfils in his 1/8th. Methinks Monfils will emerge from that section.

Underhand
01-14-2011, 11:50 AM
RodDick is done. Get over it.

li0scc0
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Monfils wears himself out, while Roddick is a grinder. I could see this being a match where Monfils wins the first set, then halfway through the second falls apart. Say what you want about Roddick, but he will attempt to gut a match out. Monfils wastes so much energy, unless he beats Roddick in straight sets, I see Roddick winning.

cknobman
01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
True Monfils does screw around too much on court.

Big_Dangerous
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Yeah I have Monfils taking him down, but either way Roger is going to take down the winner of that match, so it really doesn't even matter.

Fate Archer
01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I think either Monfils or Wawrinka will take him out, unless he comes back to play agressive tennis all of a sudden, like last year.

yellowoctopus
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I share your optimism toward Mr. Roddick, but exclusively from the logic of wanting to see more of the two giants being challenged.

Other than that, it's really hard to feel sorry for him. Envy is much easier; although probably not the healthy path.

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/andy-roddick-500x426.jpghttp://p.rdcpix.com/v01/le140ec42-m0m.jpg

li0scc0
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I think either Monfils or Wawrinka will take him out, unless he comes back to play agressive tennis all of a sudden, like last year.

Wawrinka, I could see an 'on' Wawrinka giving Roddick fits.

Commando Tennis Shorts
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Roddick has a pretty straight shot to Federer in the quarters, but you never can tell---Roddick has a tendency to lose to unseeded players in majors. If I were a betting man, though, I'd say that since Roddick's draw looks pretty good for him, I see him making it to the quarters, which is fine.

tvp900
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Lets look at the last losses Roddick has had in majors other than the french-

US Open - 4 sets - Tipsarevic was playing low percentage tennis and crushing the ball as hard as possible
Wimbledon - 5 sets - Lu is a quick scrambler who had nothing to lose and caught Roddick with mono
Australian Open - 5 sets - Cilic was the same as Tipsarevic, low percentage tennis that worked
09 US Open - 5 sets - Isner served HUGE and had nothing to lose
09 Wimbledon - 5 sets - Federer is Federer after all
09 Australian Open - 3 sets - Federer is Federer is Federer

They've all been relatively close and were determined by the bigger server and/or ballstriker. Hardly Roddick's fault.

cc0509
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I doubt it will happen, but I would love to see this guy take the Aussie Open. I never win the Racket bracket anyways, so I picked him to win the Finals over Murray. Will it happen? No chance. But I'm curious to see how Roddick does...

HA, HA, HA, HA! At least I had a good laugh! :)

Big_Dangerous
01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Lets look at the last losses Roddick has had in majors other than the french-

US Open - 4 sets - Tipsarevic was playing low percentage tennis and crushing the ball as hard as possible
Wimbledon - 5 sets - Lu is a quick scrambler who had nothing to lose and caught Roddick with mono
Australian Open - 5 sets - Cilic was the same as Tipsarevic, low percentage tennis that worked
09 US Open - 5 sets - Isner served HUGE and had nothing to lose
09 Wimbledon - 5 sets - Federer is Federer after all
09 Australian Open - 3 sets - Federer is Federer is Federer

They've all been relatively close and were determined by the bigger server and/or ballstriker. Hardly Roddick's fault.

How is a straight sets beat down close?

Why discount the French? Because Roddick isn't a clay court player? That's kind of crappy, that's even more of a reason to pick against him.

Doubles
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I share your optimism toward Mr. Roddick, but exclusively from the logic of wanting to see more of the two giants being challenged.

Other than that, it's really hard to feel sorry for him. Envy is much easier; although probably not the healthy path.

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/andy-roddick-500x426.jpghttp://p.rdcpix.com/v01/le140ec42-m0m.jpg

I have more respect for Roddick now, knowing that he's reppin' the D in this picture, that, and his wife...

Doubles
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Why discount the French? Because Roddick isn't a clay court player? That's kind of crappy, that's even more of a reason to pick against him.

Well, Roddick really does suck on clay. By this point in time, I would completely rule that slam out for him, he might as well skip it. His game isn't really meant for clay, which is why he plays so few clay events...

tvp900
01-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Hey, I'm the first to admit that he's a sub par clay courter, so any 'roddick's a s****y clay courter' remarks are totally warranted and I'd even join in.

As for the straight sets beat down, I consider 6-2, 7-5, 7-5 relatively close. Considering how Fed dismantled Del potro 6-3, 6-0, 6-0, I'd say Roddick did pretty well.

Bryan Swartz
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I think Wawrinka is a much bigger threat that Monfils -- only because I'm about to give up on Monfils ever becoming the player he could be(clearly a Top 5 talent IMO).

I def. agree that the most likely result for Roddick is a return to the quarters and a loss to Federer, probably in three straight sets. But really, that should be Roddick's goal in the three Slams he can make noise in: don't lose to anyone outside the Top 5, and play aggressively once you meet them. Any Slam he can do that in is a success for him. .