PDA

View Full Version : one hander topspin bh

bigcattennis
06-12-2005, 12:24 PM
What is the most effective way to get consistent max spin for one handed backhand?

finchy
06-12-2005, 12:42 PM
here are some tips to get max spin with a one hander:

-use an extreme eastern backhand grip (like guga or justine hh)
-make sure you brush up the back of the ball
-thrust up with your legs (you get a rising center of gravity adding power and spin)

mistapooh
06-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Full body rotation is a must! Good preparation on the one-hand is a must, or else you end up arming your shots and you won't be able to return any high pace balls at all...

Rickson
06-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Hit from low to high.

Marius_Hancu
06-12-2005, 01:51 PM
good advice given here.

however, I would like to emphasize it's very important to bring the racket from the level of your shoulders (on the takeback) much lower than the level of the ball, than forward from low to high

this pendulum motion creates the inertia necessary for a penetrating drive, even for shoulder-high balls

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/Q.Luo/tennis/sampras05.swf

bigcattennis
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Low to high is a given. I think Finchy had some good tips though.

Thanks

papa
06-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Full body rotation is a must! Good preparation on the one-hand is a must, or else you end up arming your shots and you won't be able to return any high pace balls at all...

I don't think so - this is a one handed backhand to get topspin.

TwistServe
06-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Extreme eastern with solid contact and slight supination will give u some made spin.

Bungalo Bill
06-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Low to high is a given. I think Finchy had some good tips though.

Thanks

Finchy and others did have some good tips. But you have to be careful how and when you thrust up with your legs as you could elevate too soon and lift your swing path too high and hit over the ball and send it into the net or have a weak reply.

Rotation for the onehander does happen and needs to happen quickly like any other stroke. However, the rotation stops or critically slows down to position the body in a 45 degree angle. This allows the arm to sling through and up against the ball.

The best way I can generate pace and spin is by learning what it feels like to cup the ball in the strings. For me and a onehanded backhand, I do suggest a Full Eastern (knuckle on top) or a Extreme Eastern (base knuckle of index finger one bevel back to close the racquet face more). Either way, the racquet hand needs to be about 12 inches below the ball and with the majority of your forward swing with a closed face. I like to say "KNUCKLES DOWN" for this.

Do not adjust the wrist DURING the swing. Although this does happen - save it for later. Tame the wrist to stay fixed. Later when you get to Federers level you can begin adding magic by adjusting your wrist during the swing.

LEARN - where you need to make contact with a square or slightly closed racquet face and nail it all the time. Everytime you make contact try and have the same racquet face position.

TRY - and extract from your brain the precise time you need to bring the racquet forward and make contact with that imaginary point (ball meets strings) - ALL THE TIME.

MAKE SURE - you hit the ball and go up. If you are lower then the ball just before contact you will apply topspin. Go for clean contact from then on and put the strings on the ball.

MAKE SURE - you are set and ready to go forward BEFORE the ball bounces. So many times people start to come forward as the ball is bouncing. This presents a huge challenge for a player to drop the racquet lower then the ball from the hiegth of the backswing and swing up in time to make contact.

Rickson
06-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Either way, the racquet hand needs to be about 12 inches below the ball and with the majority of your forward swing with a closed face. I like to say "KNUCKLES DOWN" for this.

I know you said forward swing, but my question is about Federer's backswing on his one hander. I've read some posts where people say the backswing should be with a closed face, but Federer's backswing is definitely an open faced backswing. Could you explain which backswing is better for the one handed backhand please?

Bungalo Bill
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I know you said forward swing, but my question is about Federer's backswing on his one hander. I've read some posts where people say the backswing should be with a closed face, but Federer's backswing is definitely an open faced backswing. Could you explain which backswing is better for the one handed backhand please?

Wow, when it comes to backswings it gets personal.

For instance, technically on the slice one would have a more open racquet face at the highest point. That has never worked for me. My racquet face is purposely turned more closed. It is how I like it.

On Federer, he has such awesome timing that there is no doubt he adjusts his wrist in the swing to put different affects on the ball because he is so fluid and so confident in what he is doing.

My suggestion is to stick with fundamental teaching. Then if that doesnt help you overtime, make a slight adjustment until you find YOUR backswing.

Rickson
06-12-2005, 09:26 PM
My backswing is neutral, sort of like Justine's. The face is neither closed nor open, but it's actually pretty squared up. I just thought I was doing something wrong because 2 of the best backhands in the world have open faced backswings, Federer's and Gasquet's.

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180x250/gasquet_indoor1.jpg

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Have you got any tips to do the paceless one handed BH with alot of topspin?

After reading on these forums about approaching on a slow heavily spun topspin shot, I have had success with this on my FH. But I can't seem to do the same on my BH.

I can do the pacey BH topspin shots as the spin comes from fast racquet head speed/fast body rotation, but I can't seem to translate this into more vertical, less horizontal movement. When I try, my BH generally loops nicely but sails long and not very much "kick" on the bounce.