PDA

View Full Version : My school dean is an idiot

SuperFly
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Today I was in the commons of my school before class using my phone to talk to a friend about a project (before you ask, the policy with cell phones is that it is fine to use them inside the commons area, nowhere else.) Then, a security guard comes up to me and takes it away. I tell her that I'm allowed to use it inside the commons, but apparently they changed the rules a week ago that says that the phones can be used during lunch hours but not before school. This makes no sense at all (why shouldn't kids be able to use their phones when classes are out, but be able to use them when their buds are in class?)

Either way, I go to the office to get it back and they wouldn't give it back until I got a parent to sign it out. I was told that they would be there until 5:30 and I could get it then. So I get my mom to drive there so we arrive a 5:00. Guess what?

The office is closed.

My dean/school makes a stupid rule, tells me to do something to get my property back and then they don't keep their word. There are words I can use to describe my feelings, but they'd get *'ed out.

On the bright side, I did get the head janitor to let me look through the main part of the office (I didn't find it, though.)

So here's the moral of the story: don't trust your dean to follow through, and try to make friends with the janitors wherever you go (they're usually super cool dudes.)

tennisnoob3
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Today I was in the commons of my school before class using my phone to talk to a friend about a project (before you ask, the policy with cell phones is that it is fine to use them inside the commons area, nowhere else.) Then, a security guard comes up to me and takes it away. I tell her that I'm allowed to use it inside the commons, but apparently they changed the rules a week ago that says that the phones can be used during lunch hours but not before school. This makes no sense at all (why shouldn't kids be able to use their phones when classes are out, but be able to use them when their buds are in class?)

Either way, I go to the office to get it back and they wouldn't give it back until I got a parent to sign it out. I was told that they would be there until 5:30 and I could get it then. So I get my mom to drive there so we arrive a 5:00. Guess what?

The office is closed.

My dean/school makes a stupid rule, tells me to do something to get my property back and then they don't keep their word. There are words I can use to describe my feelings, but they'd get *'ed out.

On the bright side, I did get the head janitor to let me look through the main part of the office (I didn't find it, though.)

So here's the moral of the story: don't trust your dean to follow through, and try to make friends with the janitors wherever you go (they're usually super cool dudes.)

since when do high schools have security guards? do you live in a rough area?

the parents signing it out thing is pretty much a rule everywhere from what i've seen just to show your parents that you got in trouble.

SuperFly
01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
since when do high schools have security guards? do you live in a rough area?

the parents signing it out thing is pretty much a rule everywhere from what i've seen just to show your parents that you got in trouble.

1. It's actually a pretty good area (the Chicago suburbs.) I think the Parent-Teacher Council got it after Columbine happened.

jswinf
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
One of the problems with being young is that you get dumped on some time, even if you're in the right. Might be best to pick your battles, just chalk this one up to experience and get your phone back another day. Your Dean either knows he's an idiot deep inside (so he would really resent being reminded of it by a student) or he thinks he's hot stuff (which would make him even more dangerous.)

aceX
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
You imagine this kind of stuff will be finished once you leave school right? Wrong. Just get used to it.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
You've learned an important lesson in life: beurocrats can make life hell. Make sure you vote for someone who reduces government and beaurocracy when you vote.

aceX
01-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Taxes are the price we pay for civilization - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Polaris
01-14-2011, 09:44 PM
You've learned an important lesson in life: beurocrats can make life hell. Make sure you vote for someone who reduces government and beaurocracy when you vote.

Some people will spin anything. :roll:

Bartelby
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Bureaucracy is the common denominator across the private and public sector.

Bartelby
01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
... and if you can't spell it, don't criticize it.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Some people will spin anything. :roll:

It isn't spin. These are the same type of bureacrats who suspend 8 year olds for having a tylenol tablet in their pocket(that they are supposed to take during the school day). The same types that tell a kid who bicycles to school that he is not allowed to have the US flag flying on his bike.
Bureaucracy is the common denominator across the private and public sector.
The red tape in this country is overwhelmingly due to government and some of their idiotic regulations. A good example of a company that had a great deal of bureaucracy is GM.
... and if you can't spell it, don't criticize it.
:lol:
This same kind of poor thinking and logic results in some people believing that one cannot represent a group of people in government (let's use Asians for example) without belonging to that group.

El Diablo
01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
This is where Asians really have it over on we Occidentals....the age hierarchy thing. They understand that people who've accomplished essentially nothing in their lives, like most high school students, are not in a position to assess the actions of people who have accomplished something in their lives. The OP is whining here because he failed to keep up with the rules at his own school? Who's the idiot??

TheBoom
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Thats pretty stupid i got to say we have a rule for cell phone use but teachers don't care all that much not that i use it at all

Bhagi Katbamna
01-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Thats pretty stupid i got to say we have a rule for cell phone use but teachers don't care all that much not that i use it at all

Many school districts have "zero tolerance" policies that call for stringent punishment for what seem like very minor things.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-15-2011, 10:48 AM
This is where Asians really have it over on we Occidentals....the age hierarchy thing. They understand that people who've accomplished essentially nothing in their lives, like most high school students, are not in a position to assess the actions of people who have accomplished something in their lives. The OP is whining here because he failed to keep up with the rules at his own school? Who's the idiot??

If you're going to use the word "Occidentals" you should use "Orientals" and not "Asians".
;)

Mansewerz
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
1. It's actually a pretty good area (the Chicago suburbs.) I think the Parent-Teacher Council got it after Columbine happened.

Yea, my school (also Illinois, probably an hour away from OP) also has security guards.

I thought it was pretty normal.

TheBoom
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Many school districts have "zero tolerance" policies that call for stringent punishment for what seem like very minor things.

Thats weird but then again i'm in oregon lol :)

SuperFly
01-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Yea, my school (also Illinois, probably an hour away from OP) also has security guards.

I thought it was pretty normal.

Unrelated note: you going to play HS tennis? I'll probably get onto varsity doubs.

Larrysümmers
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
It must be an illinois thing, my school has security guards also. we would average maybe 2 or 3 fights a year. but they closed some projects up in Chicago and a lot came here. now i am a senior. there have been more fights this year than my whole high school career. this used to be a nice area...

PeterPanda
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Are high school only allows them for emergency's. Some teachers don't car but theolder ones do.

Larrysümmers
01-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Are high school only allows them for emergency's. Some teachers don't car but theolder ones do.

here you can use them in the commons before school or at lunch. some teachers dont care if you use them in class but others get all bent out of shape about it.

tennisnoob3
01-15-2011, 01:22 PM
It must be an illinois thing, my school has security guards also. we would average maybe 2 or 3 fights a year. but they closed some projects up in Chicago and a lot came here. now i am a senior. there have been more fights this year than my whole high school career. this used to be a nice area...

i guess it is an Illinois thing. define "fight" lolol most dont last past 30 seconds

Larrysümmers
01-15-2011, 01:32 PM
i guess it is an Illinois thing. define "fight" lolol most dont last past 30 seconds

there was one last year that went on for a good 2 minutes. included a broken table, chairs being used, broken hands and noses. 2 big dudes. like these two were built like bears. but for the most part id say a majority last over 30 seconds.

one i remember at lunch was around the condiment table. i was at a table close to it. then i heard a commotion. saw 2 girls fight. i stood up on the seat to get a better view, then one girl pulled out a tool that she took from shop class and whacked the other girl a few times...yeah pretty messed up

tennisnoob3
01-15-2011, 01:32 PM
there was one last year that went on for a good 2 minutes. included a broken table, chairs being used, broken hands and noses. 2 big dudes. like these two were built like bears. but for the most part id say a majority last over 30 seconds.

one i remember at lunch was around the condiment table. i was at a table close to it. then i heard a commotion. saw 2 girls fight. i stood up on the seat to get a better view, then one girl pulled out a tool that she took from shop class and whacked the other girl a few times...yeah pretty messed up

thug life. :shock:

Mansewerz
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Unrelated note: you going to play HS tennis? I'll probably get onto varsity doubs.

Bro, i've been playing HS tennis :)

Though I dunno if we play you guys (Hersey right?). We haven't in teh past couple years.

Maybe at a tournament or if I can qualify for state, I might face you.

Larrysümmers
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
thug life. :shock:

not going to lie, when i see the thug-looking people convey in circles, i get a little scared.

aceX
01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
15 guys once showed up at my school with hammers and bits of wood looking for this particular guy (student). I always wondered what he had done to **** them off.

Mansewerz
01-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Ditto. I never really use it, but most teachers don't care. If I have a teacher who's pretty lax about it, I ask to use it.

I don't think teachers at my school can have theirs out either, but some do. We tell them we're reporting them as a joke :)

A lot of teachers address the issue early in the year saying either they have zero tolerance, they will not take it away if they catch you, just stop, or they will let you use it if you ask (rarely, I had one teacher who said this).

here you can use them in the commons before school or at lunch. some teachers dont care if you use them in class but others get all bent out of shape about it.

Define a commons.

Oh jeez, this reminds me of a fight my sophomore year (I'm a senior now). We usually have a few each year, typically small, get ended quickly (our deans are all quick to end them).

Some kids start talking crap to each other (2 on 1). The one takes his shirt off, and they start fighting. A third from the duo just keeps talking crap as the fight happens. They go from one side of the lunch room (think sideline to sideline) to my side, right into my table. They hit the table, pushing it off as they now end up on the floor. Luckily for me, I was at the end of the table, so I was right up in the action. Moments later, our Athletic director puts his hands on my back (i'm sitting) and hops over me. I got scared someone was pushing me into the fight. It ended moments later. Pretty long fight though.

Another one happened last year. These two skater-stoners got into a fight with a couple other guys. The one stoner got overwhelmed and dealt with easily, so it became one on two. I heard it got moved outside of the building (it was December I think, in Illinois), where the fight continued. I don't know if it ended and then moved out, or if it went out after a few moments as part of the same scuffle. The stoner guy has low pain tolerance so he was going at it for a while. I don't know who won, but i'm sure all 4 were suspended.

Crazy stuff.

not going to lie, when i see the thug-looking people convey in circles, i get a little scared.

Same here. Makes me a little nervous.

Larrysümmers
01-15-2011, 01:51 PM
^ it is a big room with tables chairs etc where we wait in the morning before school also where we eat lunch. for homecoming they move the tables and thats where we dance(i dont really dance, im too jewish(LMFAO reference))

Bartelby
01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
GM invented the modern form of corporate bureaucracy and most corporations do very well out of governments and their complaints about bureaucracy are usually the complaints of swindlers who couldn't get all they wanted.

It isn't spin. These are the same type of bureacrats who suspend 8 year olds for having a tylenol tablet in their pocket(that they are supposed to take during the school day). The same types that tell a kid who bicycles to school that he is not allowed to have the US flag flying on his bike.

The red tape in this country is overwhelmingly due to government and some of their idiotic regulations. A good example of a company that had a great deal of bureaucracy is GM.

:lol:
This same kind of poor thinking and logic results in some people believing that one cannot represent a group of people in government (let's use Asians for example) without belonging to that group.

Mansewerz
01-15-2011, 02:11 PM
^ it is a big room with tables chairs etc where we wait in the morning before school also where we eat lunch. for homecoming they move the tables and thats where we dance(i dont really dance, im too jewish(LMFAO reference))

Dang, my school doesn't really have that. We just have hallways haha. The most common area we have has zero tables and is just the hallway outside the lunch room.

SuperFly
01-16-2011, 07:47 AM

We don't have fights at Hersey. The best fight we've had in a while was a 2-blow affair, some guy made a joke about another kid's girlfriend and he took a haymaker to the face.

Bro, i've been playing HS tennis :)

Though I dunno if we play you guys (Hersey right?). We haven't in teh past couple years.

Maybe at a tournament or if I can qualify for state, I might face you.

Excellent.

TheOneHander
01-16-2011, 10:33 AM

The office is closed.

Let's hope he doesn't play tennis.

LuckyR
01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
May you be blessed with having this incident be the worst thing that happens to you this week.

max
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
You imagine this kind of stuff will be finished once you leave school right? Wrong. Just get used to it.

True. . . and the stories just multiply.

r2473
01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I'd be like, dude?

The dean would probably be like..dude.

Then I'd be all like, dude?!?

sureshs
01-19-2011, 06:02 AM

That is what happens when too little government regulation churns out people who can't even spell.

sureshs
01-19-2011, 06:04 AM

It really worked out for African-Americans, did you know that, when others represented them LOL

hollywood9826
01-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Since when do High Schools have deans?

In Maryland they are called principals. Seems like those folks in Illinois want to make themselves feel more important than they actually are.

SuperFly
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Since when do High Schools have deans?

In Maryland they are called principals. Seems like those folks in Illinois want to make themselves feel more important than they actually are.

We have a principal to deal with administrative stuff. Then come the deans, who take care of the students.

vandre
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I'd be like, dude?

The dean would probably be like..dude.

Then I'd be all like, dude?!?

dude, where's my cellphone??? :twisted:

srry supafly! couldn't help myself.

btw, is this a private or public school?

have you gotten the phone back yet?

if you haven't, have your parents gotten involved?

hollywood9826
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
We have a principal to deal with administrative stuff. Then come the deans, who take care of the students.

So you have a Principal and deans? How many deans? How big is this school? I never heard of anything like this. Just curious is all.

Mansewerz
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
So you have a Principal and deans? How many deans? How big is this school? I never heard of anything like this. Just curious is all.

Same at my school. One principal, 3 deans, and various assistant principals.

GetBetterer
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
>Pretty good area
>Chicago

Stopped reading after Chicago.

Also, my little brother's high school (my high school when I went there) also has security guards to prevent fights and stuff, they're generally nice people though.

To be honest -- you should know of your school's office hours, and get friendly with the staff yourself...emphasis on friendly.

SuperFly
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
>Pretty good area
>Chicago

Stopped reading after Chicago.

Also, my little brother's high school (my high school when I went there) also has security guards to prevent fights and stuff, they're generally nice people though.

To be honest -- you should know of your school's office hours, and get friendly with the staff yourself...emphasis on friendly.

>Why did you put > before you started typing?

Also, it's the Chicagoland area which is pretty tame compared to the South Side.

GetBetterer
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
let's not worry about the >'s ;)

equinox
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM

the school i went too was fine until it was merged with two others.

then it become a battlefield of afterschool altercations.

even saw year 11/12 smashed head first through a glass door panel. blood everywhere.

find a new well regarded school.