PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Job

chicken nugget
01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm a 16y/o student waiting for school

I want to get a job and I want to know how much I should expect to get an hour. I have no working experience before. I'm interested in shops and not office jobs

Also, what is the right approach in asking a company for a job?

thanks

dlk
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Before someone makes a corny joke about your username & how it relates to a job, I thought I'd chime in. If you're in the US, probably looking at around minimum wage, not sure about work-laws. Go for a tennis club or something related to what you plan to do after college. Good Luck.

!<-_->!
01-14-2011, 06:47 PM
At your age and with no prior experience, your best bet would probably be the food service industry or a club or something if you know how to string.

zapvor
01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
you mean tennis shops?

r2473
01-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Have you thought about shoplifting? My high school friends used to steal cd's from K-mart for extra cash.

babbette
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Plenty of people's first jobs are in clothes stores, as was mine, like in h&m, top shop etc. Go for them. They're quite fun especially if in big cities. You get to interact with a lot of tourists aswell and build confidence.

jester911
01-15-2011, 10:48 AM
My son got a summer job last year making $9 per hour at a local grocery store with no prior experience. Now that he is in college they allow him to work during winter holiday and summer breaks.

If you are looking for a first time job you may need to be a little more open minded about the types of jobs you apply for. Right now with the present unemployment numbers there are many many applicants with way more qualifications than you trying to find work.

Good luck.

TheIrrefutableOne
01-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Where do you live ?

max
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Let's see, at about age 13, worked at a summer camp; age 14 I helped cut carpets at a small local carpet shop. Age 15, worked detassling corn and at a pizza join; age 16, worked two jobs, nights at McDonalds and evenings at the country club pool; age 17, newpaper work.

dave333
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
When I was 16 most kids and I were working low retail jobs like cashiering in local businesses

subz
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
What are your interests ? You obviously like tennis, since you are at TT :) Like other posters, I would suggest finding work in a tennis club or a sports store. Clothing or video games store would be in my list.

You should also try to find an internship in an office. This way you will have to work only at office times and will be free after 4 or 5 pm to enjoy life :)

Best way is to first make a list of all places where you will like to work and then contact them by phone and try to arrange a meeting with them.

Be in contact with friends/class mates who are also looking for a job and by working together you will hear about more opportunities.

Good Luck !