PDA

View Full Version : Federer's opinion of the World Tour Finals

timnz
01-14-2011, 06:36 PM
"Although facing the possibility of losing at Melbourne Park, the first time he would not hold a grand slam since 2003, Federer was unfazed and said life wasn't all about the majors.

"It is what it is. It's not easy to win slams. That means I've done something quite extraordinary for many seasons," he said.

"The season's not over after that. Maybe you're not holding a slam, but you still have three more chances to win a grand slam.

"At the end of the day it's not only about grand slams, like what people make it out... The World Tour Finals is equally important; other tournaments are very important. I don't just purely gear up for the slams."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70E0A420110115

I am not sure I agree with him totally. But I do think they are significantly ahead of the Masters 1000 events. They are probably at 1500 points about right (as opposed to 2000 points for a Major).

IvanAndreevich
01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
You have to admit that WTF is cool in one way - that's the fact that you can play all top seeds.

This year, Federer defeated #1, #3, #4, #5. In no other tournament you can do that while being a top-ranked player.

kishnabe
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Federer wouldn't say that had he lost at the WTF! Trully trying to lead the journalists another way still!

aceX
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Well he has 5 titles and 1 final so it seems like he does try to win it.

Murrayfan31
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Fed is trolling. :D

Sentinel
01-14-2011, 07:17 PM
absolutely. he knew that TW needed something to fight over.

nadalbestclass
01-14-2011, 08:19 PM

LOL. Trying to push us back into that argument.

joeri888
01-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Federer doesn't really mean EQUALLY important I think. He never said so.. Fed should just do what he's doing and people should stfu. The guy's won 16 Slams, is still playing entertaining tennis and is being freaking competitive at the top of our sport. What more can you ask from him.

dandelion_smiley
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
The Masters Cup is in some cases harder to win than a Slam cause there is no way you're gonna avoid the top players. Still, it's definately a big title but there are 4 Slams only and nothing more.

Blinkism
01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Fed says silly things sometimes.

aceX
01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I bet davydenko thinks its a big title

Bryan Swartz
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Federer doesn't really mean EQUALLY important I think. He never said so..

Actually that is exactly what he said. His words were that the WTF is equally important to the Slams.

I would personally rank it below a Slam, but just below, and that's only because of tradition: 20 years from now, probably fully equal. Definitely a lot closer to a Slam in importance than to a MS.

If you take the ranking points approach, the WTF is exactly halfway between the two.

I think it's hard to argue with anyone who is at least willing to say it's more important than a Master's Event, less than a Slam. No need to parse beyond that.

aceX
01-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Actually that is exactly what he said. His words were that the WTF is equally important to the Slams.

I would personally rank it below a Slam, but just below, and that's only because of tradition: 20 years from now, probably fully equal. Definitely a lot closer to a Slam in importance than to a MS.

If you take the ranking points approach, the WTF is exactly halfway between the two.

I think it's hard to argue with anyone who is at least willing to say it's more important than a Master's Event, less than a Slam. No need to parse beyond that.

I reckon Federer is planting the seed. Years ago Aussie open wasn't important. Now people think it is. Borg didn't even go there!!

I can see it happening with WTF. "All the top players are there" "No easy draws" etc

The-Champ
01-15-2011, 04:04 PM
When Nadal finally wins the WTF, I can imagine Federer saying : "you know, it's not only about the majors and the WTF, you know it's really Cincy, Miami and tournaments like Basel that we professionals try to make an impact at".

bolo
01-15-2011, 04:14 PM
"other tournaments are very important". Really?

This wasn't his tune at the end of the clay court season and before RG in 2010.

Messarger
01-15-2011, 05:03 PM
When Nadal finally wins the WTF, I can imagine Federer saying : "you know, it's not only about the majors and the WTF, you know it's really Cincy, Miami and tournaments like Basel that we professionals try to make an impact at".

'Yeah, all the four majors and the WTF are important but so are, you know, Cincinati, Paris, and Miami. These are the tournaments where the balls play, you know, really fast so having good stamina alone and a forehand wont get you far. I mean, Rafa has been playing great when the courts are slower but he has still yet to win these events, you know, even though he is a great player. Then you also have the Gerry Webber Open which is the most prestigous grass court event beside Wimbledon. It's a shame Rafa doesnt play there. I mean, i am confident of playing well against him there, but he plays at Queens instead. So yeah, i feel the faster surfaces need more recognition. They provide the tour with variety."