PDA

View Full Version : How can I become a police officer?

banter
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I am currently a sophomore in college. I'm a kinesiology major, who wants to stay in athletics, but has always had an interest in law enforcement.

I'm curious, what are the steps in becoming a police officer?
Do I need a specific degree?
What can I do now and what should I be doing?

BobFL
01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Here you go

http://tinyurl.com/4mf2nl9

banter
01-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Well yes, I have a general understanding of the rundown. Thanks. But I'm mainly after what I can be doing now and what tips y'all can offer. Sorry to mislead with the title.

jaggy
01-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Be a jock, fail your exams, get bullied a lot.........joking.........kind of.

Dave M
01-15-2011, 06:41 AM
You thought about looking into it at hte local police station?

max
01-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Join an Explorer or Venture scout unit associated with a police dept; nice entry into the world of policing.

subz
01-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Isn't there a national or state academy for police officers ? Your first stop should be the academy's website.

You thought about looking into it at hte local police station?

That also sounds like a good plan. I am sure you will find info at the police station. You can call or email them and ask if you can visit them to discuss your plans.

Another method is to get arrested for a minor crime. In this way, you will get a free visit to the police station, get an opportunity to meet nice police officers (hopefully you wont experience an brutality ;) ) and you can get a feel of the kind of work you should expect. Of course getting arrested will lower your chances of being an officer....:-?

albino smurf
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM

beat me to it

Ronaldo
01-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Best look into your school's Criminal Justice program and find out the avg. wage for Police Officers.

mctennis
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM
You don't need a law enforcement degree in a lot of cities. The bigger cities probably prefer you NOT to have one. They want to train you how they do business. Most bigger cities will hire you and send you to their academy and then you're on the force. I don't know if they give extra credit on the scoring if you have a law enforcement degree. The Civil Service board will have all the requirements needed to be hired if you call them. Perhaps some of the information is online. The smaller jurisdictions may be the ones that want law enforcement degrees and some sort of Law Officer training certificate. The smaller departments usually don't have an extensive training budget. So they prefer having someone already trained to hire and start immediately. Depends on what you are looking for - a career or a job.
Don't waste you money thinking if you have this law enforcement degree or certificate you're a shoe in. Lots of these Tech Prep schools sell this garbage to people and they end up spending $$$$$$ to get something that is worthless except it looks nice hanging on your wall. Check FIRST with the cities or jurisdictions you are interested in joining before putting money into a Tech Prep program.
Some cities also will pay for you to get a Law Enforcement degree from a local junior college or regular college. There is a 2 and a 4 year degree for law enforcement. They would require you to stay a number of years after you get your degree or take money for school from them. If not they will get the money they paid you for the schooling. Once you get hired on, pass probation and get a little time under your belt to make sure you really want to do this for the rest of your life THEN start getting the degree. Just my opinion. But I've been a professional FF for 36 years and I know how bigger cities and jurisdictions work. We even had guys with law degrees being police officers. They either couldn't get a job as a lawyer or hated being a lawyer and wanted to be a police officer.

banter
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that departments don't necessarily demand CJ degrees and such. I'll definitely look into my local police department for some summer experience and my University's department for the semester.

SFrazeur
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM

You must really respect police officers. :neutral:

-SF

jamesblakefan#1
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Contact this guy...

http://www.spoonfed.co.uk/system/images/39484/default/police_academy.jpg

jaggy
01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
You must really respect police officers. :neutral:

-SF

Many police officers are heroes. Some have a bit to go yet.

Kobble
01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the pre-requisites for being a cop are different than years ago. I'm pretty sure you need to be in dog fighting and bullying women to be considered, today. Tazering old women is extra credit.

ProgressoR
01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Do what you need to do in order to be exactly like Harry Bosch.

aceX
01-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Watch Rush Hour

Ronaldo
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Watch Rush Hour

Or even The Thin Blue Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWlz51AfbF8

pushing_wins
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
We even had guys with law degrees being police officers.

what are you implying?
what did you mention that?

most cops dont have the brains to get a law degree?

mctennis
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
what are you implying?
what did you mention that?

most cops dont have the brains to get a law degree?

I mentioned that because some of the police officers that have law degrees ( thus more schooling) didn't get extra credit for being lawyers. That they didn't like their earlier profession and decided to become on the ground, in the field officers not just in the office types. Not the other way around. Police officers becoming lawyers. Not liking their job and wanting to become desk jockeys lawyers. That was my point. Besides I don't think lawyers are that smart anyway. Look at how messed up our own laws are from the people we have elected to Congress- most are lawyers. They scare me!
I beg to differ with you about law degrees. If you like lots of reading and like sitting looking things up and referring back to old law cases then you or anyone else that puts the time in can be a lawyer. There's LOTS of not so smart lawyers out there. Probably like any other profession.
Besides you don't have to be a super book smart person to be a police officer. You do have to have great common sense and an ability to read people and communicate with them. I know a lot of master degree people that have very poor common sense abilities. Great at book work and dictating a slew of facts that help them in their work but have very poor common sense capabilities with everyday issues. I hope that answers you question.
I also kept thinking about your statement here. The more I think of it the more offended I get. I'm not a police officer but I know a few hundred of them. They are decent, honest and law abiding people that know right from wrong. A lot more than I can say for lawyers that defend criminals looking for loopholes and technicalities to get them off rather than take them out of general public population or at the end of a strong rope. I'm not sure how many police officers you've had contact with besides the ones that put you in the back of the cruiser but they are good people. Sorry you feel the opposite about people that risk their lives to save yours or to protect you and what you have. You've got sort of the mentality of a 20 some year old that thinks they are so smart compared to everyone else. Running your alligator mouth with a canary @ss to back it up with. Then when you mouth gets you in trouble you expect the police to come in and save you. I've seen it so many times. So keep thinking you're such a smart guy and sooner or later ( sooner would be nice) you'll realize how important and smart these police officers really are. I commend anyone that is willing to do this type of work. It's hard, boring at times and you mainly never deal with the decent citizen , unless he's been the victim, and always deal with the worst elements of society. Seeing things and experiencing things that are just shy of military combat situations. The grief of family members the gruesome sites of auto accidents and murder scenes at all hours of the day and night. My hat is of to all those folks.

Kobble
01-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I guess it depends what state you are in. In Florida, the cops fight dogs, **** women at gun point, drink on the job, run stop signs and crash into people, sexually abuse teens in custody, lie about traffic violations, date stripper, and many more crimes.

PeterPanda
01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Best look into your school's Criminal Justice program and find out the avg. wage for Police Officers.

Yeah um... i know it's pretty good my dad was one.