PDA

View Full Version : Tennis.com journos' picks for AO

batz
01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=9757&zoneid=9

Bodo picks Soderling:shock: The guy is playing his best ever, but 5 times he's been in Melbourne and he's never won two matches in a row. In fact he's only won 2 matches during those 5 years.

joeri888
01-15-2011, 04:09 AM
http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=9757&zoneid=9

Bodo picks Soderling:shock: The guy is playing his best ever, but 5 times he's been in Melbourne and he's never won two matches in a row. In fact he's only won 2 matches during those 5 years.

I don't read too much into Soderlings bad record. He's got the game to do well there. I would have given him a good shot, were he in Rafa's half with No Murray in his quarter and Fed still in his slump. However, beating Murray, Rafa and Federer in a row? i don't see it happening. It's Nadal probably, Fed got a good shot, Murray is an outsider.

Messarger
01-15-2011, 05:27 AM
And you know how those Swedes—and their legions of shirtless, face-painted nincompoops—love the Australian Open!

isn't that an offensive term?

NadalAgassi
01-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Bodo is an idiot. I never take him seriously. He is like the Don Cherry of tennis at best.

NadalAgassi
01-15-2011, 05:32 AM
LOL at someone saying Venus has a "generous" draw. So lets see Sahrapova who owns her on hard courts in the 4th round (if both even make it that far) and being in the same half as Henin and Wozniacki as well is a generous draw. What a grand collection of expets.

Mortifier
01-15-2011, 05:32 AM
And you know how those Swedes—and their legions of shirtless, face-painted nincompoops—love the Australian Open!

It's like saying someone is an idiot, isn't it? Quite charming to be a Swede in Australia though, we have got a pretty good reputation (except according to the tennis.com writers).

Underhand
01-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Söderling is a boring ball basher, I'm surprised that Bozo favours him.

P_Agony
01-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Nobody picked Rafa? That's quite surprising.

Totai
01-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Rafa is always the underdog :rolleyes:

dlk
01-15-2011, 07:17 AM

Me too, that's where I'm laying my money, but will be rooting for Djoko & Murray.

slice bh compliment
01-15-2011, 07:17 AM

The N word, my friends. The N word.

slice bh compliment
01-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Söderling is a boring ball basher, I'm surprised that Bozo favours him.

Yes. Bodo does not actually favor him. It was the most impactful pick for Peter, that's all.

But, it's funny, in just the way Soderjerk is a boring ballbasher, Peter is a shock-value pseudo journalist.

AkilKB
01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
LOL at someone saying Venus has a "generous" draw. So lets see Sahrapova who owns her on hard courts in the 4th round (if both even make it that far) and being in the same half as Henin and Wozniacki as well is a generous draw. What a grand collection of expets.

Owned? ahha yeah right, the few times Venus lost to Sharapova on HC, she was coming back from injury, i.e, Miami 2005, 2007...just last year, venus spanked that *** in Stanford..and hello, Sharapova lost to Arn, GRETA ARN. and Maria might very well flame out to Tamarine tomorrow night...:shock:

billnepill
01-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Bodo: "Robin Soderling: Oh, I know Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal partisans will howl with outrage when they see this, but at some point the dam is going to burst and the Federer vs. Nadal finals won't be quite as ubiquitous as they've been in the past. Besides, Soderling has been on a steady upward swing, the relatively high bounce of the Aussie courts will allow him to really tee it up, and he's Swedish. And you know how those Swedes—and their legions of shirtless, face-painted nincompoops—love the Australian Open!"

What is so ubiquitous about them? The last match/final between them at a GS was in the Australian Open final 2009!

AndyArodRoddick
01-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Bodo: "Robin Soderling: Oh, I know Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal partisans will howl with outrage when they see this, but at some point the dam is going to burst and the Federer vs. Nadal finals won't be quite as ubiquitous as they've been in the past. Besides, Soderling has been on a steady upward swing, the relatively high bounce of the Aussie courts will allow him to really tee it up, and he's Swedish. And you know how those Swedes—and their legions of shirtless, face-painted nincompoops—love the Australian Open!"

What is so ubiquitous about them? The last match/final between them at a GS was in the Australian Open final 2009!

AO high bounce? Then what are IW and Miami?
I've always thought that AO has one of lower bounces.

But I feel that the bold part is spot on. Myself is getting tired of those Fedals and me wants something different. WTF final e.g was so overhyped imo. The real final was Murray-Nadal.

raisethe3
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah, but did you pick him?

CityTennis22
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I got Federer in this one. He's rejuvenated and Soderling will get far, but not as far as Bodo thought.

NadalAgassi
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Owned? ahha yeah right, the few times Venus lost to Sharapova on HC, she was coming back from injury, i.e, Miami 2005, 2007...just last year, venus spanked that *** in Stanford..and hello, Sharapova lost to Arn, GRETA ARN. and Maria might very well flame out to Tamarine tomorrow night...:shock:

Maria leads Venus 3-1 on hard courts. That is ownage. Likewise Venus owns Maria on grass. Maria won her first ever meeting with Venus on hard courts in straight sets when Maria was only 17. Was Venus injured in that match too, LOL! The only time Venus was coming back from an injury was Miami 2007 while Maria was at the height of some of her shoulder and serving problems so was just as injured. Miami 2005 was only in March and was Venus's 4th event of the year which is plenty for her, and she had played regularly in fall of 2004, so what is this phantom injury she was coming back from exactly? And nice of you to point out anytime Venus was coming back from an injury, yet neglect to point out in their last meeting in Stanford Maria was coming back from an injury which forced her to miss almost a whole year. Oh yeah not to mention the Australian Open has always been Venus's worst hard court, and the change to plexicushion has made no difference so far. Maria's record at the Australian Open is infinitely superior to Venus's.

Yeah I do agree though Maria could easily go out before the 4th round meeting. As could Venus as well. After all Venus has gone out to Pironkova, Lisa Raymond, Alicia Molik, and Suarez Navarro in 4 of the 6 Australian Opens she played since 2003. Both are vurnerable to an upset now, but Venus even moreso. Ultimately I dont think either are any real threat to win here, but Venus certainly does not have a "generous" draw.

Gaudio2004
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Bodo is more knowledgeable than he shows on just about all of his articles - he appears to be genuinely interesting, knowledgeable about tennis and polite in the podcasts he's in, why he's picking Soderling to win the Australian Open, is insane - If not Federer or Rafa, then why not Murray, who reached the final last year and has a relatively easy draw, or Djokovic, who started playing brilliantly at the latter part of last year and has actually won the Australian Open?

P_Agony
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, but did you pick him?

Actually yes, I think Rafa's going to win the AO. He will do anything for that "4 in a row" even if that means faking 10 injuries.

ruerooo
01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Actually yes, I think Rafa's going to win the AO. He will do anything for that "4 in a row" even if that means faking 10 injuries.

It amazes me how you can't manage to root for Roger without bashing Rafa.

Are you really that bitter? Or do you just lack imagination?
:roll:

Gaudio2004
01-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Is that how you really view tennis or the Nadal injury situation?

IvanAndreevich
01-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Sod is a good dark horse pick, if anything.

dandelion_smiley
01-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Sod is a good dark horse pick, if anything.

I wouldn't call the no 4 player in the world a dark horse.

slice bh compliment
01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Just another thought on Peter Bodo...
Wasn't it CS Scott who said?... that commentary is free but facts are sacred. I'm paraphrasing that, but..

Bodo isn't really a journalist. He's a columnist, really, in the tennis milieu. He trades on gossip and shock value. I'm not going to lie, I don't respect him, but I do read him at times. It's kind of fun, but I always shake my head and think, well, at least he's doing what he loves for a living.